CLion 2019.3 EAP: Fixes for CMake Generators, Disassembly, and More

Posted on by Anastasia Kazakova

Hi,

A new CLion 2019.3 EAP (build 193.4778.13) is now available! Get it from our website, via the Toolbox App, or as a snap package (if you are using Ubuntu). A patch-update for anyone using the previous EAP build will be available shortly.

DOWNLOAD CLION 2019.3 EAP

Generators in CMake

In the recent EAP build, we’ve added support for Ninja and other generators in CMake. We’ve had tons of valuable feedback and discovered cases we hadn’t tried on our side! It was great that, with your help, we were able to catch all these problems and we have worked hard over the week to fix the most annoying ones. Today’s build brings a few important fixes:

• On Windows, an exception was caught that could prevent your project from correctly loading CMake and the project build (CPP-17728, CPP-17740).
  • For any generator which is not Makefiles (default) or Unix/MinGW/MSYS Makefiles, the custom make path in the Toolchains settings is ignored now. This was preventing Ninja from working correctly (CPP-17749). Later, we plan to allow users to specify their custom build tool in this field, for example, any custom Ninja version (CPP-17773).

Experimental debugger for MSVC

Some users noticed that the experimental debugger for the Microsoft Visual C++ toolchain had stopped working in the recent EAP build. Now, it’s fixed and back again. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused!

Other fixes

A few issues with disassembling on Windows were fixed (CPP-15210, CPP-15828, CPP-17115).

Besides, there are some VCS improvements coming from the IntelliJ Platform.

The full release notes are available here.

Your CLion Team
JetBrains
The Drive to Develop

Comments below can no longer be edited.

29 Responses to CLion 2019.3 EAP: Fixes for CMake Generators, Disassembly, and More

1. Taw says:

October 24, 2019

I really don’t understand, we can’t add a python interpreter because all the folders will have python icons.
    The other solution is to mark the python files as plain texts, which is also not good.
    When will be this regression fixed? in 2019.2.3 works perfectly.

The bug is CPP-17645, very similar to CPP-17509, which is marked as fixed, really?

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

October 24, 2019

The CPP issue is marked as fixed because it’s a duplicate of https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/PY-25303. When PyCharm ticket is closed, the problem is solved. We keep an eye on it, and we chat with the PyCharm team to fix the issue.

• Taw says:

October 24, 2019

I am not that optimist because in the bug it’s written
        “All directories for Python 3 are namespace packages, therefore they have Python package icons. So the actual bug is that in case #2 there are no dot icons for all the directories.”

So it’s actually correct that every directory will have a dot? Perhaps I am not understanding correctly, but I have one py file in my CLion project and ALL my folders (containing mostly .c and .h files) should have dots?

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

October 24, 2019

The dot appears only when you are adding an interpreter and it’s definitely a bug, and it’s exactly a bug described in the PY issue.

• Tano says:

October 24, 2019

Thank you for the nice explanations in the tasks, Anastasia.
            My colleagues always laugh at me that I will receive a JetBrains call “We will find you and we will kill you” 😀

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

October 24, 2019

No problem. Hope it’s now indeed clear. And we definitely work in the direction of fixing the issue.

2. Taw says:

October 24, 2019

I have also a question about IDEA-223210.
    Is this a bug or someone thought that it will look better? (sorry on the task I got no answer for a month)
    I really want to revert to the old behaviour (with paranthesis), if possible, maybe a hidden option or something, thank you.

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

October 24, 2019

I’ll check with the team.

3. Roman Popov says:

October 24, 2019

Had to switch back from Ninja to Makefiles. Found out that for Ninja project all .cpp files have : “No resolve context for current file”, which breaks Google Test integration (CPP-15903) and shows lots of false positive “Unused global variable”

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

October 24, 2019

Roman, would be great to investigate the case with you in details. As I see from the issue now there is some performance issue involved.
      I honestly don’t think it’s somehow related to CMake API and thus Ninja, but more like some other problem, which is definitely have to be investigated. We’ll do our best. Thanks for the cooperation.

• Roman Popov says:

October 24, 2019

I spent whole day on it yesterday. But have not found any way to analyze it. Today I work on Windows, and here it did not reproduced itself yet.

Basically what I need from Clion is to provide more debug information. If it shows it should explain me why.

• Roman Popov says:

*If it shows *No context*

4. Roman Popov says:

October 24, 2019

Tool-chain settings still do not work on Windows with Ninja. Had to set -DCMAKE_CXX_COMPILER manually

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

October 24, 2019

Not sure what do you mean here. Can you please provide more details?

• Roman Popov says:

October 24, 2019

If I do not set CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER CMake will use Mingw instead of Visual Studio. Despite I have Visual Studio toolchain configured.

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

October 25, 2019

Am I right you have VS toolchain used in your active CMake Profile? Do you use the latest EAP build with the fixes?

Can you please reset CMake cache, remove CMake generated output directories and reload the CMake Profiles for your project? (Maybe after the issue you had on the previous build, some information is just stuck in CMakeCache and similar)

• Roman says:

October 27, 2019

I’ve attached my project to CPP-17735 with build directories.

5. Helge Penne says:

October 29, 2019

The EAP freezes while editing code. I have uploaded logs with the bug report: CPP-17871
    Please investigate.

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

October 29, 2019

We’ll do, thanks.

6. Przemysław Sztoch says:

October 30, 2019

1. Memory View should be upgraded!!!
    Please, check Visual Studio or other IDE as template!!!

2. Peripherals view should be with Favorite item feature.

3. Peripherals view should have new RMB action: Copy Address.

7. Helge Penne says:

October 30, 2019

Is it just me, or did this EAP break keyboard input for the “~” character? On my Norwegian keyboard, this is AltGr combined with the key left of Enter and below Backspace. It produces the ~ in all other programs, but in CLion it just produces a space.

This is a completely fatal bug, as I am no longer able to type out a destructor.

Please fix ASAP!

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

October 30, 2019

Pls check my comments in the issue. Thanks.

8. Helge Penne says:

October 30, 2019

I filed the above bug as: https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/CPP-17875

9. Ernst says:

November 15, 2019

hey

downloaded lastest beta 2019.3 and Debugger” Debugging is not yet supported with VIsual Studio.

CLion 2019.3 EAP
    Build #CL-193.5233.10, built on November 12, 2019
    CLion EAP User
    Expiration date: December 12, 2019
    Runtime version: 11.0.4+10-b520.6 amd64
    VM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM by JetBrains s.r.o
    Windows 10 10.0
    GC: ParNew, ConcurrentMarkSweep
    Memory: 1987M
    Cores: 4
    Registry: projectView.hide.dot.idea=false, run.processes.with.pty=TRUE, debugger.watches.in.variables=false, clion.clang.clangd.debug=1
    Non-Bundled Plugins:

• Ernst says:

November 15, 2019

sorry for inattention, I saw how to enable it

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

November 15, 2019

Yes, since the debugger for VS toolchain is still experimental, you have to enable it explicitly