JetBrains Academy: New Projects and Topics in November
It’s already November, and we’re excited to share all of the new topics and projects on offer this month. Each comes with its own exciting challenges and learning opportunities to explore. This month we released new projects for Python, Go, ML, and frontend learners! Beyond that, there are also 110 new topics for you to study and enjoy.
Exciting news for all mobile development learners! The new Introduction to Android with Kotlin track is here to help you acquire the fundamental skills needed to create, design, and deploy simple mobile apps.
Now let’s dive into the updates in more detail.
🆕 Project: Chalkboard Printer (Beta). Easy.
- HTML: Form element.
- Vue.js: Getters and setters, Watching for changes, What are computable properties, Reactive, Refs, Setup, What are components, and v-show, v-if, v-else, v-else-if.
- TypeScript: Union types.
- Node.js: lstat, fstart and stat, Migration from pure Node.js to Express, and What is Express.js?.
Python (Machine Learning)
🆕 Machine learning project: Calculate Metrics with Pen and Paper (Beta). Easy.
When training a machine learning model, it’s vital to establish the metrics used to evaluate the model’s performance. There are various metrics, each serving a specific purpose. This project introduces you to the most commonly used metrics for classification and regression tasks, shows you how to calculate them, and provides guidance on interpreting them.
🆕 Python project: X-mas Tree. Medium.
Welcome to a fun project that takes us back to the ’80s and the world of ASCII characters. If you have ever been tasked with drawing a Christmas tree using asterisks in your programming journey, this project is for you. Drawing an entire Christmas card will make the task a bit more challenging. In this project, you’ll master string formatting, work on lists, and learn how to build functions and more sophisticated algorithms.
- Python: Multiprocessing pool, Type hints and classes, When statement, More dictionary methods, More operations with list, and Walrus operator.
- Django: API documentation, Intro to DRF, Serializers in DRF, Views and routing in DRF, Django caching framework, Django testing framework, and Using class-based views with your models.
- Flask: Deploying, Preparing for deployment, and Sign up.
- Machine learning: Neural network regularization, Schedulers, and Weight initialization.
- NLP: T5 transformers, Transformer models for text summarization, Neural machine translation, Statistical machine translation, and Advanced models of spelling correction.
- Pandas: MultiIndex dataframes.
Additionally, the Introduction to Django track is no longer in Beta.
🆕 Project: Cinema Room Manager (Beta). Easy.
In this project, you’ll create an application that helps manage a cinema theater: sell tickets, check available seats, see sales statistics, and more. You’ll deal with slices and functions as well as loops and conditional statements.
- Kotlin: Asymmetric encryption, Digital signature, Hashing and security, Symmetric encryption, and kotlinx.css for KMP.
- Android: Application & Context, Service Locator, and Checkboxes, Switches, Toggle Buttons, and Radio Buttons.
- Ktor: Ktor Client: Content negotiation and serialization.
🆕 Topics: Access specifiers, Hidden pointer *this., Dynamic arrays, Dynamic memory allocation, Smart pointers, Stack and heap, Debugging and troubleshooting, Exception handling, Advanced STL data structures, Basic data structures of STL, Introduction to STL, Command Line Interface, Strings and text, and Working with files.
- Java: A topic on a ternary, binary search problem, Assertion libs – AssertJ, Map implementations, Thread synchronization. Synchronized in action, and CompletableFuture.
- Spring Boot: Eager and lazy initialization, Security events, Integration tests with Testcontainers, Response bodies, and Serving files.
- Algorithms and structures: Hamming distance, Booyer-Moore: Good character rule, Boyer-Moore algorithm, Introduction to Aho-Corasick algorithm, Shannon–Fano coding, Finite-state machine, and Intro to algorithms.
- DevTools: Dependency management: libraries and Run and debug with Intellij IDEA.
- Essentials: Inter-process communication, Cache replacement policies, and Class and package diagrams.
- SQL and Database: Introduction to Redis, Sharding in MongoDB, Materialized view, Introduction to Node-PostgreSQL, Queries with pg, Basic Data cleaning, Basics of spreadsheets, Types of Data, and Unit economics: ROI, CAC, LTV.
System administration and DevOps
Projects marked as Beta are still in the early stages of testing. If you’re interested in checking out Beta projects on the platform, make sure the Beta tester feature is enabled in your profile settings.
We hope that you find these updates valuable and that they will enhance your learning experience. As always, we welcome your feedback and suggestions, so please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us at email@example.com, or share your thoughts with us on X (formerly Twitter) or Facebook.
Your JetBrains Academy team
Subscribe to Blog updates
Thanks, we've got you!
JetBrains Academy November Digest
Explore November updates at JetBrains Academy: save up to 30% on courses, discover new projects, unravel pandas, read student success stories, and find where to pursue a practice-oriented computer science degree.
Triumph for Constructor University Teams Trained by JetBrains at NWERC 2023
Teams from the Constructor University in Bremen, trained by JetBrains expert Niyaz Nigmatullin, a software engineer at JetBrains' Applied Program Analysis Lab and ICPC World Champion in 2012 and 2013, showcased their exceptional programming skills at the Northwestern European Regional Contest (NWERC) 2023.
Meet JetBrains Academy at the EDUtech Asia 2023
Swing by Booth Q11 to chat with our product team, see curated demos, and ask questions.