Rolling with Ruby on Rails and IntelliJ IDEA
Our team has published the first implementation of Ruby plugin that turns IntelliJ IDEA into a decent IDE for developing Ruby and Ruby on Rails applications.
Despite it’s in beta stage as of yet, it has recevied very positive feedback from Marty Andrews, the professional Ruby developer.
The plugin feature highlights are very impressive as well:
- Dedicated Ruby and Rails modules with Ruby SDK support
- Dedicated Rails project view
- Basic code completion for Ruby keywords
- Automatic completion for Ruby statements
- Ruby syntax highlighting with braces matching
- Ruby code formatting and automatic code styling
- On-the-fly error checking and code validation
- Smart structure view for Ruby files
- Quick Ruby documentation (RDoc) view and lookup
- Dedicated run configuration for Ruby and Rails with support for scripts
- Intention actions to automatically create Ruby access modifiers and Rails skeletons and actions
- Support for Go to class, file and symbol for Ruby files
- Quick access to Rails generators and Rake tasks through context menus
So, stay tuned with the latest plugin updates that will include smart RHTML completion, extended syntax highlighting, quick fixes and more of other productivity-aimed enhancements.
I have created the Ruby development live demo that shows how to create a sample Ruby application with IntelliJ IDEA. You can watch it or download in archive.
For more information about features, see the Ruby and Ruby on Rails Development page.
For latest plugin updates, release notes, discussions and bug tracking see the Ruby Plugin Home Page.
Subscribe to Blog updates
Build a Spring Boot App with AI Assistant
In this article, we’ll be building a small Java Spring Boot web application in IntelliJ IDEA with the help of JetBrains AI Assistant. If you’d like to follow along with this tutorial, you’ll need IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate, as well as an active subscription to AI Assistant or the free seven-day trial…
Top 10 UI Updates in IntelliJ IDEA for 2023
Hey there, fellow developers! Today, we want to share the most significant UI updates from 2023 that have transformed how IntelliJ IDEA looks and functions. New UI Of course, the highlight of our recent updates was the launch of our new, clean, and modern UI. This was first announced at the en…
The What, Why, and How of JPA Buddy in IntelliJ IDEA
Master JPA entity management with JPA Buddy in IntelliJ IDEA! Our latest article shows you how to simplify your workflow and reduce boilerplate code.
The Best of IntelliJ IDEA’s HTTP Client
In today's fast-paced tech world, easy and efficient management of web services and APIs is crucial. That's where IntelliJ IDEA's HTTP Client steps in, turning complex HTTP requests into a walk in the park. The HTTP Client is a feature-rich, text-based tool in IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate. It seamlessl…