IntelliJ IDEA 13 Beta is Available

Posted on by Andrey Cheptsov

The day has come! Today we are excited to announce that IntelliJ IDEA 13 Beta is available for download and evaluation. Now everyone can download it and see what IntelliJ IDEA team has been cooking for the December’s release.

As always, this new important update brings improvements to all parts of the IDE. Here are some of the most important ones in the Beta release:

• User interface enhancements, including the new Lens Mode, Search Everywhere, Presentation Mode, Speed Search, and more.
  • Better performance with faster Find Usages and Navigate to actions, and more responsive editor during indexing.
  • The Debugger now provides Smart Step Into for anonymous classes and lambdas, and shows local variables even when there’s no debug information.
  • Better control flow analysis with the new Contract annotation.
  • Improved Find in Path action with ability to search over comments and String literals.
  • New Terminal tool window.
  • Improved support for Java 8 including the latest updates.
  • Groovy support enhancements, including better type inference, new refactorings and intentions.
  • Support Java EE 7, the latest version of Oracle’s enterprise Java platform, including JSF 2.2, CDI 1.1, JPA 2.1, JAX-RS 2.0, Batch Processing and many more.
  • Spring frameworks enhancements, including easier project configuration, better performance and the new dedicated tool window.
  • New development tools for Android development, including support for the new Gradle-based build system, better code completion, navigation, formatting and code analysis for Android-specific files and classes, multi-device preview, the built-in nine-patch editor, SQLite database access, and much more.
  • New fast and powerful log viewer for Git and Mercurial.
  • New development tools for Web development, including better JavaScript debugger, CSS support enhancements, Emmet Preview as well as Surround with Emmet live template, JavaScript code coverage tools, and others.
  • Database tools and SQL support improvements, now with easier data source configuration, Create New action, smarter code completion, the new Structure view for SQL files, the table editor and results view and others.
  • Support for Subversion 1.8.
  • Better Gradle integration, now with code completion, code analysis, quick documentation, and more.

And many more…

Check out the full list of changes and download the Beta on its official page.

As usual, one month before the release we start our regular free upgrade program. Why wait until December to purchase a personal license for IntelliJ IDEA? Buy a personal license for IntelliJ IDEA 12 and get IntelliJ IDEA 13 for free once it is released!

Stay tuned for more details on the new features in our blog.

Develop with Pleasure!

Comments below can no longer be edited.

32 Responses to IntelliJ IDEA 13 Beta is Available

1. Nikita Salnikov-Tarnovski says:

November 6, 2013

Does it support running on jdk7 on Mac?

• BabyDuncan says:

November 8, 2013

I care about it too .

2. Jeremy Hanna says:

November 6, 2013

Great work.

I see that it’s still using jdk 1.6.0_65 on your mac. Are there plans to use JDK 1.7 by default for the IDE itself? I’ve set it manually to use 1.7 and it exhibits some odd behavior. It also seems like Apple is trying to phase out 1.6 as on the Mavericks install 1.6 had been removed and IntelliJ had to prompt to install it again to use it.

Thanks,

Jeremy

• Andrey Cheptsov says:

November 6, 2013

JDK 1.7 for Mac still has unresolved problems, that’s why JDK 1.6 is used by default. However we are going to provide a separate package with JDK-1.7 bundled.

3. Kedar Joshi says:

November 6, 2013

Subversion 1.8 support … finally.

• Charles Duffy says:

November 12, 2013

If they’re using a new version of SVNKit for Subversion 1.8 support, the thing I’m curious about is whether they’re using one new enough to have SSH agent support. I submitted a patch some time back (see http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/IDEA-52034), but there’s been so action on the ticket — and it sounds like this work postdates it, as when I built that patch their SVNKit was quite ancient.

• Charles Duffy says:

November 12, 2013

Looked at the source… and they’re using SVNKit 1.7.9. This is unfortunate in a few ways:

First, it’s slightly behind the version version where SSH agent support is available (1.7.10).

Second, while it’s compatible with Subversion 1.8 servers, it isn’t compatible with Subversion 1.8 working trees (which is, to be fair, something which only became available very, very recently).

I’m hoping this’ll be fixed before release; if not, it looks like I still might need to keep distributing patched revision control plugins to my team.

4. nikskala says:

November 6, 2013

I’m already using early adopters version, it’s really awesome, great job!
    When it’ll be possible to update?
    Will it possible to switch to Terminal Window by some shortcut?

• Andrey Cheptsov says:

November 6, 2013

Terminal tool window is available via Alt+F12

5. Marcin Palka says:

November 6, 2013

What is the upgrade price for existing v12 users going to be 🙂 ?

6. Konstantin says:

November 6, 2013

Beta wont startup after update on ubuntu 12.04 x64 with java (build 1.7.0_45-b18)
    Updated from eap via auto updater
    last eap was ok

me@me-desktop:~/idea-IU/bin$ ./idea.sh
    [YourKit Java Profiler 12.0.3] Log file: /home/me/.yjp/log/IntelliJIdea13-1349.log
    /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-oracle/bin/java: symbol lookup error: /home/me/.java/jayatana/1.2.0/amd64/libjayatana.so: undefined symbol: gdk_threads_enter

7. Alexander Orlov says:

November 6, 2013

I think those “unresolved problems” with JVM7 on Mac have been resolved in JVM8 but it won’t be released for another couple of weeks. However my personal impression of JVM8 is that it doesn’t have those “problems” of JVM7 and so far I haven’t discovered anything that prevents me from running IntelliJ 13 w/ JVM8.

• Mark Derricutt says:

November 6, 2013

The last few times I’ve run IntelliJ 13 under JDK8 (OS/X Builds) it’s worked fine, but seems to leak memory like a sieve somewhere, which I’ve had yet had the opportunity to sit down and see if I can spot what/where to report any thing.

8. Ihor says:

November 6, 2013

There is a problem:
    The project is created in the Android Studio was imported in IntelliJ IDEA 13 Beta and now when trying to start assembling get the error:
    “Cannot find AndroidManifest.xml file for module CHDU Library App”

9. Dor Ben Dov says:

November 7, 2013

Great news about gradle.

10. Andreas says:

November 7, 2013

On Ubuntu 13.10 (32 Bit) and using Java 1.7 Update 45 I am not able to create a gradle project.

I always get the following error message:
    “Gradle ‘helloworld’ project refresh failed:
    org.gradle.internal.service.DefaultServiceRegistry.add(Ljava/lang/Class;Ljava/lang/Object;)Lorg/gradle/internal/service/DefaultServiceRegistry;”
    I also get a stacktrace:

at com.intellij.openapi.application.impl.ApplicationImpl$1$1.run(ApplicationImpl.java:152)
    java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.gradle.internal.service.DefaultServiceRegistry.add(Ljava/lang/Class;Ljava/lang/Object;)Lorg/gradle/internal/service/DefaultServiceRegistry;
    at org.gradle.internal.nativeplatform.filesystem.FileSystemServices.addServices(FileSystemServices.java:58)
    at org.gradle.internal.nativeplatform.filesystem.FileSystemServices.(FileSystemServices.java:38)

What is wrong here?

11. Dmitry Salychev says:

November 8, 2013

What about IDEA-96723 in the beta or in the release of IDEA 13? Is it fixed?

• Maxim Mossienko says:

November 18, 2013

As stated in issue description, it isn’t fixed

12. BabyDuncan says:

November 8, 2013

I have found some problems using idea12 when writing chinese comments in a java file .
    the comment line and the one line code under it did not complied ,so when complie a java project , often occur a parameter not defined error .when i delete the chinese comment line ,it all work fine . another is : the chinese comments displayed big small big. very ugly .

• BabyDuncan says:

November 8, 2013

complie problem occurs on a mac version ,it occurs not very often and chinese displayed ugly on a windows version .

13. Tim Pigden says:

November 9, 2013

New problem not seen in the EAPs – when I switch project or start up it just sits there on about 40% cpu (total over all i7 cores) for upwards of a minute before doing anything.
    The it works. Change project and it stops again.
    It’s completely blocking and no visible activity while it does this.

14. Stevie says:

November 12, 2013

I’d like to try the beta – but can’t because it needs to uninstall v12, and I use that for serious work. I guess I’ll have to wait until the final version is released to see if the new version fixes the most annoying thing in previous Intellij versions: the fact you can’t undock or search in the output log window – seriously, having to cut and paste into notepad to search log output is a real pain.

• Kiview says:

November 13, 2013

I’m quite sure you can search it with CTRL+F.
      Do it all the time in my Grails projects.

15. TONYCODY says:

November 18, 2013

Why don’t you provide module function of hidden?Similar to the hidden project in eclipse.

16. Marek says:

November 23, 2013

Hi

I am also getting the Cannot find AndroidManifest.xml file for module error, for both imported project and freshly created project within beta-version IDE. I have also noticed, that in master-detail sample created by wizard the default activity was not set in AndroidManifest.xml

regards, Marek

17. Anton says:

December 17, 2013

Is it possible to open selected directory in Terminal? Because, currently, I need to do it in 3 steps – Show in Explorer -> Copy Path -> cd to copied path in the Terminal. It would be nice to have “Open in Terminal” option in the Alt+F1 menu.