IntelliJ IDEA 14 EAP 138.1029 is out with a built-in Java decompiler

Andrey Cheptsov

If you’ve already joined IntelliJ IDEA 14 EAP, grab the freshly baked build that we published just now. If you haven’t, it’s a perfect time to do so now.

The most notable change in the new build is a built-in decompiler for Java classes. Now you don’t need any third-party plugins to take a look at what’s inside a library for which you don’t have the source code. This might not always work for Java 8 and non-Java classes, but we’re working on making it better and your feedback is always appreciated.

14_decompiler

Other interesting things to try out:

• Windows installer with bundled JRE uses Java 8
  • OS X installer with bundled JRE uses Java 7 Update 60
  • Importing Spring bean configurations when importing an STS project
  • The Open action from the Welcome screen now opens single files

Check out the complete release notes.

Stay tuned for more details and don’t forget to write back to our discussion forum and issue tracker!

Develop with Pleasure!

Comments below can no longer be edited.

16 Responses to IntelliJ IDEA 14 EAP 138.1029 is out with a built-in Java decompiler

1. Lukasz Zielinski says:

July 11, 2014

Thanks !! No more IntelliJad maintenance :D.

2. Esko Luontola says:

July 11, 2014

Cool. A good decompiler might just be enough to make me upgrade from IDEA 12. 🙂

3. Amir says:

July 16, 2014

Is there a way to use it on IDEA 13?
    Since I am not interested to take all of the 14 EAP until it is stable.

4. Roger says:

July 18, 2014

Hey guys!

I’m wondering why does Android Studio is release first and works better with Android project but premium version of Intellij IDEA is not:( Isn’t it on the same platform??? in latest EAP 14 i can’t deploy build on my android device.

• Ludjer says:

November 6, 2014

Android studio is managed by google and intellij idea gets updated from there. the intellij idea team only supports google, but google are the guys developing android studio.

5. Roan says:

July 21, 2014

Since upgrade from previous version of IDEA 14 EAP (build 138.777), have not been able to open or import GRAILS projects. When I revert back to 138.777, same projects open successfully and include the GRAILS view. Anybody else having these issues? If so, I’ll file a bug report.

6. Chris says:

August 4, 2014

Thanks, I’m loving the decompiler, it’s much improved over JAD. I don’t suppose there’s a way to get the line numbers to match up between a stack trace and the decompiled source? That would be bliss…

7. Damian Orłowski says:

October 20, 2014

What about breakpoints? Idea is a great tool but in debug mode in decompiled classes is not working at least in my version (Idea 12). I am waiting for 14th version and I hope breakpoints will work in this decompiler.

• Andrey Cheptsov says:

October 21, 2014

Breakpoints won’t work in decompiler code in 14 so far. Probably we’ll implement it in 14.1.

• Andrzej Kojder says:

October 24, 2014

I’m using now IDEA ver. 13 and missing breakpoints in decompiler is the only reason, I’m sometimes forced to use other IDE.

8. Roger Griffiths says:

December 18, 2014

I am using IDEA 14 to recover some lost source code but it is a bit laborious copying the decompiled source to new .java files class by class. Is there a trick I am missing?

• Roger Griffiths says:

December 19, 2014

Done now, but one bit of feedback… switch statements do not always cleanly decompile. We seem to end up with $SWITCH_TABLE$..[] type tags in the switch statement rather than just the . I am not certain if this is with all switch statements or just certain occurances, but I did have a few occurances in the source code I was recovering (Java 5 binaries which could be a factor).

• Roger Griffiths says:

December 19, 2014

The blank bits were supposed to be %3cjava_code%3d.

• Codrin says:

February 4, 2015

so have you figured any “trick” as you said?…I agree that it is laborious to copy code from .class to new .java, and was looking for the same thing

9. Carlos Sobrinho says:

March 24, 2015

Is it possible to blacklist certain directories? Have a very very big autogenerated file that completely stalls Intellij for a few minutes when ever I search for a reference or even file content that exists on that file. Looking into the jstack Intellij is actually trying to decompile that file even for a simple usage reference search… 🙁