Good news, everyone! Fresh IntelliJ IDEA 14 EAP build is released, bringing more goodies for you to check out.

First, the so called Scratch Files, a very handy feature that helps you experiment and prototype. With this feature you can sketch something really quick right in the editor, without modifying your project or creating any files.

You can open an infinite number of Scratch Files and easily switch between them. IntelliJ IDEA will provide all of its coding assistance features for these files according to the type you will select for them in a status bar widget.

scratch_demo

Mercurial integration is also improved with the support for Synchronous Branch Control and Subrepositories support.

If you ever worked with our Git integration, then you know that IntelliJ IDEA can perform branch operations on multiple repositories simulaneously. Now this feature is available for Mercurial repositories as well:

hg_control_branches_synchroniously

To toggle this option, go to the Settings → Version Control → Mercurial → Control branches from different roots synchronously:

hg_control_branches_synchroniously_settings

Windows users will be happy to know that IntelliJ IDEA installer now bundles Java 8 Update 20.

For the complete list of changes, check out the Release Notes.

As always your feedback is very welcome in our discussion forum. In case something doesn’t work as expected, don’t hesitate to report bugs directly to the issue tracker.

Develop with Pleasure!

About Andrey Cheptsov

Part-time dreamer. JVM/JavaScript geek. IntelliJIDEA Marketing Manager at JetBrains.
This entry was posted in EAP Releases, New Features and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to IntelliJ IDEA 14 EAP 138.2210 Brings Scratch Files and Better Mercurial Integration

1. Martin says:

Still waiting for the SVN update fix. Big project, 7 SVN directory roots, update is failing for 3 EAP builds now. Too bad.

• Konstantin Kolosovsky says:

Are you talking about this bug? It should already be fixed – you could check the fix in next EAP.

If you have some other case please submit corresponding issue to tracker.

• Martin says:

Well, yes, most likely. Slight differences in stack trace though. Can’t really tell you now as it is fixed in build 2288, so I have to wait 2 weeks.. 😉

2. Stephan says:

Scratch files are nice. Anyhow, they would be even more useful if I could run or even debug the content, i.e. Java code.

3. Igor K says:

Finally scratch files! Waited wto years for this feature!

4. Alejandro Hdez. Angeles says:

Well. I created a Java scratch file:
    public class Demo {
    public static void main(String[] args) {
    System.out.println(“Hello”);
    }
    }

How do i run/debug it?

5. Hai says:

I hope IDEA-87346 and IDEA-118073 can be fixed in IDEA 14. But I just realize that Yann Cebron changed it from 14 to 14.X. These issues was delayed from version 12 to 13.

6. Olivier says:

Is the Mac Community edition compatible with Java 8 update 20?

7. Maciej M says:

Is ‘Scratch Files’ the same as https://github.com/dkandalov/scratch ?

8. Mike says:

Scratch files sound very handy, I routinely use IntelliJ to format XML. Usually I create a temp.xml file in my project cut/paste my XML in and run code reformat on it. A scratch file would be nice for this!

I agree though, they would be infinitely more handy if you can execute them, I have voted for http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/IDEA-129961

9. xMort says:

How scratch files work when you disabled tabs in UI and use just ctr+(shift+)+E to switch between files?

10. Mike says:

Couple of issues with scratch files:

1. In the help, they mentioned «Ctrl+Shift+Alt+Insert» combination to create a scratch file, but in menu the other combination appears — «Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Insert».

2. Suppose, I created this scratch file, filled it, but how can I save it?

3. It will be great if I will can create a scratch file straight from the «Welcome to IntelliJ IDEA» screen, without the need to create a new project at all. Ideally, it should be a separate option, like «Create New Project» or «Import Project» or «Open…».

4. The idea of scratch files is good, but without the ability to run/debug such file it doesn’t worth a lot.

11. jujuju says:

First I was so happy…
    Then I realized we can’t run a scratch file, nor save it to a new file
    Finally I’m disappointed

12. Paidhi says:

This might be a stupid question but:
    Scratch Files are dying if you close the project, right? Or how does one recall a scratch file after e.g. closing the IDE?

13. Artur says:

Can I resore scratch after reboot program (when I close it and then run it again)

14. Yafou says:

+1 !
    running scratch file as main() would be very useful !

15. Victor says:

+1 save scratch and run it
    Every developer keeps a bunch of helper scripts/utilities (SQL,cmd, Java) floating around, and not needing to be part of the project.
    It would be awesome if you could run them and get back to them after a restart of the IDE !!!!

16. Dan Vega says:

If I create a new JSON scratch pad and copy an unformatted JSON response into the file it does not get formatted. My impression was that formatting would happen automagically. Am I missing something?

• Andrey Cheptsov says:

It doesn’t reformat the code on paste, so you have to invoke reformatting manually via Alt + Ctrl + L

17. sundyli says:

how could I find scrapy file after closing it? It should be a customized direction to store the scrapy files.

• Andrey Cheptsov says:

In 14.0 you could find them in Recent files. In 14.1 they all are permanently available in the Project tool window, you need to switch to the Scratches tab.

18. TWiStErRob says:

The idea is good, but it’s pretty useless if you can’t save it.
    Also creating from Tools menu is as counter-intuitive as it can get, why do you have a File > New > submenu then?

19. hmuenster says:

Why can’t I save a scratch file with whatever filename I want and in whatever location I want?

Why can’t I just create a new file – again with whatever filename I want and in whatever location I want? Sometimes I just need to create a text file for notes or as data. Why do Jetbrains IDEs make this a difficult chore?

Thank god that at least once the file exists in the filesystem, the IDE allows me to just open it. Now we just need to convince the developers that we should be allowed to *create* a new file wherever we want.

20. Meir Goldstein says:

Useful, thanks!

Any chance of releasing a Jetbrains powered text editor that can be used as default system text editor without any sort of projects? I use multiple Jetbrains products (PhpStorm, CLion, PyCharm), but just having a simple, non-project oriented one would be very helpful for just editing CSV files and the like.

Thanks!