IntelliJ IDEA 15 Released, Adds Kotlin to the Family of Supported JVM Languages

Great news from the JetBrains team: today we’re announcing the release of IntelliJ IDEA 15!

As always, the new IntelliJ IDEA release brings a rich set of new features, better user interface, more built-in tools and integrations, and further improved coding assistance that is consistent across the entire range of supported languages and frameworks.

In other great news, Kotlin, the JVM language that JetBrains is crafting, goes Beta. Now is a very good time to try it out for productivity, conciseness and perfect Java interoperability. IntelliJ IDEA 15 bundles the Kotlin plugin and provides support for Kotlin out of the box. To get started with Kotlin, use this handy tutorial.

Both IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate and IntelliJ IDEA Community are now available for download. Also, starting today, IntelliJ IDEA 15 is available as part of JetBrains Toolbox, with new subscription licensing and pricing.

IJ1_blog_1

For more details on the new features and licensing, please read below.

Debugger

To fully embrace Java 8 we’ve equipped our debugger with first-class lambda support: now you can precisely target lambdas when setting breakpoints, running code to cursor or an arbitrary expression, and stepping into code at the caret.

15_debugging_lambda

The new Force return action lets you interrupt method execution and return any specific value that you request, letting you flexibly vary the method execution logic while debugging.

On-the-fly code duplicates detection

Thanks to its enhanced code indexing engine, IntelliJ IDEA can now detect code duplicates as you type, displaying a popup that lets you examine them on the fly. To avoid pestering you, it is set by default to only detect duplicates longer than five lines of code, however you can configure this setting, or disable the inspection altogether by pressing Alt+Enter.

v15_duplicates_2

User interface

Spend less time switching between the dialog and the results tool window. As another perk of the improved indexing, the Find in Path action now offers an instant preview of search results as you type in the search box.

15_find_preview

The gutter is more interactive and now allows running applications and tests. Also, new icons let you easily distinguish between failed and successful tests.

v15_gutter_tests

The entire test runner tool window has been redone from scratch to provide a unified interface for all languages, complete with inline statistics, vertical layout, test result history, and export/import actions.

v15_test_runner

Now every Run Configuration has a small green indicator that tells you if it’s running. If your Run Configuration is a Single instance only, the IDE will show you the Restart action instead of the Run action on the toolbar.

v15_run_configuration_indicator

With the new adjustments for the red-green color deficiency, the IDE has become friendlier for people with color blindness.

We’ve also made it possible to hide unnecessary tool windows without disabling corresponding plugins.

Last, but not the least is complete HiDPI support for Windows and Linux, with fractional scaling for both fonts and icons according to your system DPI settings.

Version control

The built-in integrations with Git, Mercurial, Perforce and other version control systems have now been updated.

The Rebase action is now available from the Branches menu, and like Merge, inherits support for synchronous multi-root branch operations, automatic stash/unstash changes, and conflict resolution assistance.

v15_vcs_rebase_in_branches_popup

The Branches menu is now available from the Log viewer context menu.

When you click the gutter, IntelliJ IDEA will highlight changes by word.

v15_vcs_per_word

For whitespace-only changes, the gutter now uses a different color, making it easier to distinguish actual changes in the code from simple reformatting.

v15_vcs_whitespaces

The option VCS changed only text, added earlier to the Reformat action has become smarter: it reformats not only the changed lines, but also the surrounding code when it makes sense.

The Undo action is now available when merging and/or resolving conflicts, and the Annotate action is available from the Diff viewer.

If you’re using Mercurial Queues, you’re welcome to check out the new tools for managing patches.

Perforce users can now shelve local changes in their Perforce repos. This option may be safer and more convenient than local shelving in certain cases.

When committing changes, TFS users will now be able to access their saved queries, and browse work item trees.

JVM frameworks

Coding assistance for Spring has been updated to support the new 4.2 features: @Bean on Java 8 default methods, @Import with regular component classes, code completion and navigation for @EventListener, @AliasFor and @ContextConfiguration support along with supporting Hibernate 5.0.

v15_spring_42_events

For Spring Boot users we’ve prepared a better coding assistance in application.yml and additional-spring-configuration-metadata.json files, as well as automatic Spring facet configuration based on annotations.

Grails developers will enjoy the long-awaited support for Grails 3.x, the newest version of their favorite Groovy-based web framework.

v15_grails

For Arquillian, we’ve made it possible to configure containers on the IDE level, and then run tests against those selected.

v15_arquillian_3

Scala

The Scala plugin has been updated with support for SAM (single abstract method), an intention to expand macros, Postfix completion, the Inline refactoring for type aliases, and support for dynamically named tests (e.g. “test(variable)” or “test(expression)“).

Groovy

While working on improving Kotlin and Scala support, we didn’t forget about Groovy: meet the @Builder AST transformation support.

JavaScript languages and frameworks

Front-end web developers will be glad to know that we support TypeScript 1.5 and 1.6 along with the TSLint integration, better coding assistance for React and JSX, and initial support for AngularJS 2.

Android

The newest features in Android Studio 1.3 are now available in IntelliJ IDEA 15: Android Memory (HPROF) Viewer, and the Allocation Tracker. Changes from Android Studio 1.4 are expected in minor IntelliJ IDEA 15 updates.

Database tools

It’s no secret that JetBrains is working on a brand new IDE for working with SQL code and databases, currently dubbed 0xDBE. IntelliJ IDEA, being our flagship product, includes all of that functionality. Here’s just a glimpse at the list of features to come:

• Fast and accurate schema introspection
  • Modify table action
  • Generating CREATE TABLE and INSERT statements via Alt + Ins ( + N for OS X)
  • Multiple query consoles
  • Query console local history
  • Execution plan
  • Compare query results
  • And many more…

Licensing and pricing changes

Starting with this release, IntelliJ IDEA is only available under our new licensing model as part of JetBrains Toolbox. You can find complete details on the IntelliJ IDEA pricing page.

That said, all customers with valid upgrade subscriptions can still upgrade to IntelliJ IDEA 15 at no cost according to their license terms. You do not need to switch to the new model while your upgrade subscription is still active. If your upgrade subscription is expired, you can check out the offer for existing customers switching to the new license model on the IntelliJ IDEA pricing page.

Make sure you do not miss what’s now possible with the  JetBrains Toolbox — including a brand new ‘All Products’ plan, allowing you to use any our great desktop tools depending on your specific language needs.

You’re welcome to download IntelliJ IDEA 15 right now, and give it a try yourself. Spread the word, and as always…

“Develop with Pleasure!”

Sincerely,
JetBrains Team

About Andrey Cheptsov

Part-time dreamer. JVM/JavaScript geek. IntelliJIDEA Marketing Manager at JetBrains.
This entry was posted in New Features, Releases and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

48 Responses to IntelliJ IDEA 15 Released, Adds Kotlin to the Family of Supported JVM Languages

1. Dmitry says:

Awesome release!
    Is there a keyboard shortcut for switching between “Options” and “Preview” tabs in “Find in Path” window?

2. Abhishek Bhasker says:

Please add support for perl language.

3. Kevin Jordan says:

I’m a little fuzzy on the git rebase option that was added, at least for what the description says and what I see in my 15.0 install. I’m seeing “Rebase onto” which I believe is a lot different than what is described above, the equivalent of a fetch and a rebase from the remote branches.

• Kirill Likhodedov says:

The screenshot in the post is a bit out-of-date. The action is “Rebase onto” indeed. Thanks for noticing it. We will update the screenshot.

The action rebases the current branch onto the selected branch, just as if you call git rebase selected-branch in the command line.

4. Snow Leo User says:

On OS X 10.6(.8), still crashes on start.
    Despite website stating it’d even work on 10.5 in system requirements.

5. Matt Williams says:

Any reason why the subscription is 50% more expensive for UK users over the USA price?

• Sergei Ivanov says:

I actually went to check it, but it does look all right to me, given the difference in exchange rate and taxation.

For example:
      a new toolbox personal subscription = £199
      take away standard rate 20% VAT ~= £166
      which is ~= $255 at the going rate
      whereas the quoted US price is $249, which is not that far off, I should admit.

It looks similar for the upgrade subscriptions too. The 20% (not 50%) difference is due to VAT payable in the UK (and generally in the EU), and not payable in the US.

• Matt Williams says:

Hi Sergei, the price of £199 is _excluding_ VAT, so its another 20% on top, not 20% less – i.e. £238.80

• Sergei Ivanov says:

That’s pretty rubbish, rip-off Britain indeed. I did actually assume that the sterling prices were quoted inclusive of VAT, but after proceeding to the payment page my assumption was proven to be wrong. Even prices in Euro are lower: €249 (ex-VAT) for the same subscription if you select Germany or France, which translates to £175 at the current rate. That’s 12.5% lower than the quoted UK price of £199.

JetBrains Sales team: is there a rational explanation for this discrepancy?

• JTW says:

My guess: they use the same ex-VAT price everywhere, just change the currency symbol.
            And then of course US customers don’t pay tax, while EU customers do pay at 20+%, causing a massively higher price in the UK because of exchange rates (where Euro-USD is currently pretty low, down from a high of 1.5 or more).

I see this a lot in online businesses, and it’s a very bad thing for European customers.
            Sadly in this case it’s a European company doing it rather than a US company, and European companies should know about VAT and exchange rates…

• Sergei Ivanov says:

If they quote ex-VAT for all EU customers, then there should be no difference in prices when adjusted for exchange rate.
              €249 to £199 gives a rate of 1.25, which is as low as it was about a year ago. However, for the last seven or so months, the GBPEUR rate has fluctuated between 1.35 and 1.4. If the reference price is in EUR, then we should currently be paying 20-25 quid less (before VAT).
              This is not a good way of treating a rather large loyal user base in the UK.

• JTW says:

price is listed as 299 Euro per year (after the initial 2 year period) or 239 pounds, or 299 USD.
                All ex-tax of course. EU customers need to add Czech tax (so the percentage should be the same for all countries at about 20%), US customers add no tax.

Euro is at 1.09 USD today, or 0.72 Pound.
                That’d leave a UK price of 215 Pounds.
                So yes, UK customers pay about 10% more than other EU customers, who pay about 10% more than US customers again, PLUS 20% VAT which US customers don’t pay (but that’s outside of Jetbrains’ control).
                UK indeed gets a bad deal, worse than the rest of the EU.

6. Peter says:

I am disappointed by UI problems on OS X… blurry fonts, small buttons, labels improperly aligned. v14 looked better :-(

• Maksim Sobolevskiy says:

Hi, Peter! You can try playing with Preferences | Appearance & Behaviour | Appearance | Antialiasing. May be “Greyscale” is what you need.

• wouter says:

What’s the status of the font etc. quality on OS X. I’m running 14 now, with a bundled 1.6 jdk in it (if not I’d get really ugly rendering). I just need to know the quality before I can upgrade to 15.

7. Anton says:

Any official announcements on C# support or separate IntelliJ product?
    Unity developers are crying out of desperation forced to use Monodevelop on Mac and Linux platforms.
    Me as a Java and Android developer – I’m completely hocked on Jetbrains products and it’s physically painful to use anything else. There’s this guy working on Consulo on CE fork, but I doubt he can really make it alone.

Anyways. Please, make an official statement if we should wait for proper C# IDE on MacOS.

8. Jose Fonseca says:

I bought the Ultimate Edition license less than a year ago. I downloaded version 15 just now and it says my program expires in 15 days.

I wrote your team about this a few days ago : your new pricing model is not going to work.

People can’t rely on this kind of licensing policy. I just bought my “lifetime” license less than a year ago, now you made it obsolete and I need to subscribe for U$ 500 / year to keep going?

If Ultimate edition work stops working for me on november 18 because of your new licensing model, I’m going back to community edition and end of story. I’m ok with having paid 200 dollars to have used Ultimate for only a year. But that’s not what the original deal was. In essence what you did here was multiply the price of your software by 5 or 6 times. If you use Ultimate Edition for 3 years it now costs U$ 1200, when it used to cost 200 dollars.

Regards,
    Jose Fonseca

• Andrey Cheptsov says:

If you bought your license less than a year ago (I believe we’re talking about a personal license), it definitely qualifies you for a free upgrade to v15. If it doesn’t for some reason, please contact sales at jetbrains.com (or support at jetbrains.com), they’ll help you to figure this out.

9. Jose Fonseca says:

PS. I’m sorry, I was looking at the corporate prices. But the individual subscription is still about 50% higher than your previous license price.

10. Pingback: IntelliJ IDEA 15 Released, Adds Kotlin to the Family of Supported JVM Languages | JAVA

11. JTW says:

Splash screen erroneously mentions the license expires rather than being perpetual.

• Andrey Cheptsov says:

Yes, thanks for spotting this. We’ll fix this, we’ll change it to “Subscription active till …”. More correct information about your license/subscription is now available at Help | Register.

12. Martin Prebio says:

On my mac IntelliJ 15 hangs forever at “Indexing” at 100% for big and also smaller projects. Is this a known one, and can I provide any useful debug information? My colleagues have the same problem on El Capitan.

13. Norbert Csibra says:

Hi,

Is the Zero-latency typing available in this release?
    I cannot see it on the what news page, but I hope only because it’s a “small” feature. :)

• Andrey Cheptsov says:

Disabled by default. You can enable it by adding “editor.zero.latency.typing=true“ to the “idea.properties” file.

14. Alexey says:

I see that Dracula theme became more dark\contrast comparing to IDEA 14. Is there special parameter to regulate this? It looks way too dark to me.

15. I’ve just installed it.
    Everything is looking fine.
    Is it still running under JVM 6?
    Can I enable zero-latency typing or is it too early ? (I believe it is still in experimental mode)

• Andrey Cheptsov says:

The OS X installer bundles a custom 1.8 JDK and doesn’t require Java 6 anymore.
      Zero-latency typing is still experimental and disabled by default. Still, you can enable it manually by adding the corresponding option to idea.properties.

16. I can’t find my previous comment!
    I was asking if IntelliJ Idea is running in JVM 6.
    My other question is about the zero-latency typing.
    Why is it disabled by default?

17. Fringale says:

Thanks for the release. Although I’m a bit baffled that you decided to ship a version with some serious, known Android Gradle issues (, , , ).

I just experienced the first two, and, well, I’m back to 14.1. : (

18. Matthew Madson says:

It’s been a good 4 years, but as the lone IDEA user on a team of Eclipse-loving coworkers, I can’t justify pestering my manager to review such a confounding pricing structure just because I think IDEA is a superior product and provides some productivity gains. Best of luck to you Jetbrains and congrats on the new release but for me it’s back to developing without pleasure in Eclipse =(

19. Norbert Csibra says:

As I see on Windows 7 this version doesn’t show the recent projects to the taskbar jumplist.
    I really liked that feature in the previous version.
    Is this change was intentional?

20. Kyba says:

When i upgraded from IntelliJ 14.1.5 to 15 , it asked whether to copy my settings and plugins from version 14. I chose yes (+ uninstall all previous versions). But it didn’t copy the plugins – at least they did not appear and they were not in the plugin-list (maybe they were not compatible?). Tried manually installing one (idea11 icon pack), but it failed to install.

Luckily, when i installed 14.1.5 again, they were all back – but not in intellij 15. Any suggestions?

21. Bohuslav Burghardt says:

IntelliJ 15 has been pretty great so far. The features I enjoy the most are probably executable Java scratch files and Find in path previews. But there is still one thing that drives me crazy: incorrect cursor under OS X (https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/IDEA-139791). It is really, really annoying! Does anyone have any idea when it might be fixed or if there is some workaround available?

Other than that, thanks for another great release!

22. Pingback: IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate Edition 15.0 | Full Mac OS Software

23. Pawel says:

The newest features in Android Studio 1.3 are now available in IntelliJ IDEA 15: Android Memory (HPROF) Viewer, and the Allocation Tracker. Changes from Android Studio 1.4 are expected in minor IntelliJ IDEA 15 updates.

So I assume that changes from Android Studio 2 will be included into IntelliJ IDEA sooner or later? Right?

24. Pingback: IntelliJ IDEA 15 Branches Out with Support for Kotlin Beta | Voxxed