IntelliJ IDEA 2016.2 EAP is Open

Posted on by Andrey Cheptsov

Great news, everyone: we’re opening IntelliJ IDEA 2016.2 EAP, a preview of the next IDE update planned for this summer! Besides fixing issues, we’ve also stayed busy working on new features that we hope you’ll like.

New feature highlights include:

• General
    • The installer for Windows now comes with our custom JDK build where we address some issues with focus and font rendering.
  • Debugger
    • The Watches views has been merged with Variables for more convenience.
    • Multiline expressions are now supported in breakpoint’s Condition and Evaluate and log, and Data Type Renderers.
    • Try and return statements are supported in Evaluate Expression.
  • Version control integration
    • The Commit dialog now shows unversioned files (so you don’t forget to commit something important).
    • Patches can now be applied from the clipboard (the IDE will offer to apply the patch when it obtains focus), or by dragging a file into the IDE.
    • If a file has been moved or renamed since a patch was created for it, the IDE will try to figure that out or let you manually choose the file to apply the patch to.
    • The VCS log continues getting better with a handy loading progress indicator, a shortcut to navigate to the filter field, and tooltips for graph arrows.
  • Editor
    • Better spell-checking suggestions based on Damerau–Levenshtein distance.
    • Language injection now works in YML files.
    • Inspections based on Doclint for detecting Javadoc HTML problems.
  • Settings
    • Importing color schemes from Eclipse.
  • Spring Frameworks
    • Spring 4.3 core features, new inspections and better performance.
    • Better support for Spring Security 4.x.
    • Coding assistance for Spring MVC variables in FreeMarker and Velocity views.
    • Support for generics as qualifiers.
    • A lot of issues related to both Spring and Spring Boot have been fixed.
  • Android

That’s quite a list, huh? More is coming, so stay tuned for additional details on these features soon.

We kindly ask you to give the preview build a try and share your feedback with us. If you see a bug or a missing feature, go ahead and alert us via the tracker. With your help and contributions we’ll make the IDE even better.

Develop with Pleasure!

Comments below can no longer be edited.

19 Responses to IntelliJ IDEA 2016.2 EAP is Open

1. Nikita says:

May 16, 2016

grails 3.1+ and gson support, please!

• Andrey Cheptsov says:

May 17, 2016

The initial support for Grails 3.1 and Gson should be already there. Please check and let us know if you miss anything.

2. Henry Garcia says:

May 17, 2016

Love the importing color scheme…how does it work?

3. John says:

May 17, 2016

Better Scala support please 🙂

4. jtonic says:

May 17, 2016

Wow!!! Finally the IntelliJ Idea Dev Team provides the support for multiline expression in debugging.
    This was the latest Eclipse feature I really missed when I switches from Eclipse to IntelliJ, and now we have it in IntelliJ.
    I installed the new EAP and test it in an instant, and it worked like a charm.

Many thanks to all make this possible.

5. Leon says:

May 17, 2016

I suppose that the only reason for shipping custom JDKs is that Oracle won’t merge your changes upstream.
    I’m curious as to why they won’t.
    What kind of reasons did they give you?

• Anton Tarasov says:

May 29, 2016

That’s not quite true. We do submit some of our changes to OpenJDK and they go commited into jdk9/8u. Still we rely on our custom JDK at least because of two reasons:
      1) We have a change available right away, not in the next Oracle JDK update release. So, we can plan our release cycle independently.
      2) Not all of our changes meet OpenJDK criteria. For instance, if we develop a small enhancement, we don’t need to make it look like a public API suitable to everyone (which requires much more time investment), but it may be enough for us to make it suitable to our own needs. This leaves us some higher level of flexibility.

6. Leo says:

May 17, 2016

The Commit dialog now shows unversioned files!
    Tears of joy streaming down my face right now.

Keep up the good job!

7. Laurent says:

May 17, 2016

Looks good, and the bug fixes keep coming (just downloaded 2016.1.2). Thanks for all that work!
    Guys, sorry to say it again, you could improve the general “feel” of your product(s) with a nicer icon. I’m talking about feelings, not software quality. Your rebranding has been a catastrophe I can live with, except when I see the big ugly icon of IntelliJ in the task switcher. It’s so ugly I can’t get used to it. Kotlin icon’s, which doesn’t betray the rebranding too much, gives some ideas to mitigate the catastrophe in a nice way and keep nice, meaningful icons. Please do the same for IntelliJ. Doing it for other products will also please my eyes when I visit your website.

8. Federico says:

May 17, 2016

Since i install this version, i can’t code because this issue that cause i can’t press enter:

14:05:25 UnsatisfiableDependenciesException: com.hasintech.intellij.angularTemplates.NextVariableHandler has unsatisfied dependency: class com.intellij.openapi.editor.actionSystem.EditorWriteActionHandler among unsatisfiable dependencies: [[class com.intellij.openapi.editor.actionSystem.EditorWriteActionHandler]] where DefaultPicoContainer (parent=DefaultPicoContainer (root)) was the leaf container being asked for dependencies.

• Andrey Cheptsov says:

May 17, 2016

Federico, how do I reproduce that one?

• Federico says:

May 18, 2016

I import my settings from intellij 16.1.

I upgrade all existing plugins, and open an existing scala project.

When I open a file .scala, I press Enter key. The new line is not created and the exception show on the console.

• Jason says:

May 18, 2016

• Federico says:

May 18, 2016

After I remove plugin AngularTemplates from Intellij 16.1, I import settings from this version again and resolve the problem.

I see in github project, and it has an issue about this.

Thanks.

9. Mihhail says:

May 25, 2016

Can you elaborate more on what font rendering issues does custom bundled JDK fix?