IntellIJ IDEA 2017.1 EAP: Async Smart Step Into and Faster Git File History

Posted on by Andrey Cheptsov

Last week we published EAP of the upcoming IntelliJ IDEA 2017.1 that included initial support for async stacktraces. Today, along with a fresh EAP build, we’re happy to introduce another improvement aimed at making debugging asynchronous code easier: step into that supports lambda expressions executed on other threads:

Earlier this was only possible when you manually added a breakpoint directly at a lambda expression, but now you can just Smart Step Into to debug asynchronous code.

Another improvement available in this update is the reworked Git File History. It’s faster, can display the revisions graph, and even has a button to include changes from branches other than the current.

Last but not least: we’ve added a new option that allows you to drag and drop breakpoints to remove them.  If you enable it, simply clicking a breakpoint, instead of removing it, will enable/disable it. This is very convenient because it saves you from accidentally removing a breakpoint and losing its parameters such as a condition.

This option is selected via Settings | Build, Execution, Deployment | Debugger | Drag a breakpoint to the editor area to remove it.

As always, your feedback is welcome here in the comments and in our issue tracker.

Develop with Pleasure!

Comments below can no longer be edited.

14 Responses to IntellIJ IDEA 2017.1 EAP: Async Smart Step Into and Faster Git File History

1. Tom Fagerland says:

February 15, 2017

“Last, but not least: we’ve added a new option that allows you to drag and drop breakpoints to remove them.”
    I can’t wait to be able to run unit tests with three finger gestures…

2. Michel says:

February 15, 2017

About the “Drag a breakpoint to the editor area to remove it” option : it’s very good IMO, because now clicking on a breakpoint disable/enable it instead of remove it.
    It’s more intuitive : no need to alt-click on a breakpoint to disable it.

3. Jonathan says:

February 15, 2017

All my gutter Icons became huge, also the arrows in the menu bar are huge since this update. Any help?

• Andrey Cheptsov says:

February 15, 2017

Could you please share a screenshot?

4. Szymon says:

February 15, 2017

Breakpoint is small thing but I think it’s great. Story with accidentally, removing breakpoint with long condition is known to me very well. This is why I love IDEA. Small things is making this one great IDE, cause write code I can everywhere. But only here, those little helpers make this IDE the best one.

5. Prathap says:

February 15, 2017

cmd+shift+T to open or create unit tests doesn’t work on mac doesn’t work.

6. Jonathan says:

February 15, 2017

What are the chances we would see a full integration with github pull request mechanism?
    That is to check out the PR, and ti comment straight from the IDE?

7. Anton says:

February 17, 2017

Is there any feature request I can vote for to have breakpoints grouped by custom category? Say, I’m working on a particular feature for which I need a set of specific breakpoints. Then, I started working on another feature, which requires a different set of breakpoints. I don’t want to remove the previous set, but I’d like to disable them with just one click. Currently, you allow to group breakpoints by package, file and class. It would be nice to be able to create some custom folders for easier grouping.

• egor.ushakov says:

February 20, 2017

right click a breakpoint in breakpoints dialog, select move to group -> new

• Anton says:

February 21, 2017

You’re my hero, thanks! Wish there was a UI icon along with “Group by class, package, file” set of icons to make it more intuitive.

8. Jack says:

February 21, 2017

I’m getting seriously degraded performance in the Java debugger with this update. Stepping over trivial lines is taking seconds, and evaluations are also very slow. I’m running what I would consider a pretty large codebase.

Reverting to 171.2613.7 (before most of the recent async debugger enhancements) resolves the problem.

Should I file a bug?

9. Alexander says:

February 23, 2017

Hello!
    Can I somehow remove these terrible colors for tabs and come back to tabs without gray background?