IntellIJ IDEA 2017.1 EAP: Async Smart Step Into and Faster Git File History

Last week we published EAP of the upcoming IntelliJ IDEA 2017.1 that included initial support for async stacktraces. Today, along with a fresh EAP build, we’re happy to introduce another improvement aimed at making debugging asynchronous code easier: step into that supports lambda expressions executed on other threads:

Earlier this was only possible when you manually added a breakpoint directly at a lambda expression, but now you can just Smart Step Into to debug asynchronous code.

Another improvement available in this update is the reworked Git File History. It’s faster, can display the revisions graph, and even has a button to include changes from branches other than the current.

Last but not least: we’ve added a new option that allows you to drag and drop breakpoints to remove them.  If you enable it, simply clicking a breakpoint, instead of removing it, will enable/disable it. This is very convenient because it saves you from accidentally removing a breakpoint and losing its parameters such as a condition.

This option is selected via Settings | Build, Execution, Deployment | Debugger | Drag a breakpoint to the editor area to remove it.

As always, your feedback is welcome here in the comments and in our issue tracker.

Develop with Pleasure!

About Andrey Cheptsov

Part-time dreamer. JVM/JavaScript geek. IntelliJIDEA Marketing Manager at JetBrains.
This entry was posted in EAP Releases, New Features and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to IntellIJ IDEA 2017.1 EAP: Async Smart Step Into and Faster Git File History

1. Tom Fagerland says:

“Last, but not least: we’ve added a new option that allows you to drag and drop breakpoints to remove them.”
    I can’t wait to be able to run unit tests with three finger gestures…

2. Michel says:

About the “Drag a breakpoint to the editor area to remove it” option : it’s very good IMO, because now clicking on a breakpoint disable/enable it instead of remove it.
    It’s more intuitive : no need to alt-click on a breakpoint to disable it.

3. Jonathan says:

All my gutter Icons became huge, also the arrows in the menu bar are huge since this update. Any help?

4. Szymon says:

Breakpoint is small thing but I think it’s great. Story with accidentally, removing breakpoint with long condition is known to me very well. This is why I love IDEA. Small things is making this one great IDE, cause write code I can everywhere. But only here, those little helpers make this IDE the best one.

5. Prathap says:

cmd+shift+T to open or create unit tests doesn’t work on mac doesn’t work.

6. Jonathan says:

What are the chances we would see a full integration with github pull request mechanism?
    That is to check out the PR, and ti comment straight from the IDE?

7. Anton says:

Is there any feature request I can vote for to have breakpoints grouped by custom category? Say, I’m working on a particular feature for which I need a set of specific breakpoints. Then, I started working on another feature, which requires a different set of breakpoints. I don’t want to remove the previous set, but I’d like to disable them with just one click. Currently, you allow to group breakpoints by package, file and class. It would be nice to be able to create some custom folders for easier grouping.

8. Jack says:

I’m getting seriously degraded performance in the Java debugger with this update. Stepping over trivial lines is taking seconds, and evaluations are also very slow. I’m running what I would consider a pretty large codebase.

Reverting to 171.2613.7 (before most of the recent async debugger enhancements) resolves the problem.

Should I file a bug?

9. Alexander says:

Hello!
    Can I somehow remove these terrible colors for tabs and come back to tabs without gray background?