IntelliJ IDEA 2017.2.1: Better Performance and Spring Run Dashboard

If you haven’t yet tried the newly-released IntelliJ IDEA 2017.2, now definitely is the time for that because we’ve just released a slightly better version of it.

Along with better performance and bugfixes, the update finally lets you use the Spring Boot feature that has been announced a while ago: Run Dashboard.

This dashboard lets you manage Run configurations and see their Spring Boot specific properties.

For the complete list of changes refer to the release notes.

If you’re using Toolbox App, you will be prompted to install this update. If you don’t (but you really should), check for the updates manually via Check for Updates menu action. Patches are available if you’re already running IntelliJ IDEA 2017.2, otherwise it’s a full upgrade.

As always, we appreciate your feedback. Please share it here in the comments. In case of issues, report it to our issue tracker.

The Drive to Develop!

About Andrey Cheptsov

Part-time dreamer. JVM/JavaScript geek. IntelliJIDEA Marketing Manager at JetBrains.
This entry was posted in New Features, Releases and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to IntelliJ IDEA 2017.2.1: Better Performance and Spring Run Dashboard

1. wang says:

why ctrl+ table’s name or others in xml always go to ddl not go to the database’s position in the right . it never like this before i update 2017.2 .
    how can I get back.
    please reply me,thank you.

• Maksim Sobolevskiy says:

For selecting the object in the database tree please press Alt+F1 -> Database view.
      Now we are discussing this behavior, thank you for your feedback.

• Maksim Sobolevskiy says:

We hope to improve this in the next minor releases.

• wang says:

Thank you for your reply.
        Alt+F1 -> Database view, i have tried but it doesn’t go to field’s position in table,just go to the database .I really like previous behavior . I hope getback soon..
        I hava a advice, It would be better if I could show the field’s COMMENT in the prompt when I was writing SQL.

2. Julian says:

The German macOS keyboard layout uses alt+L for the @ sign. I cannot type an @ in the commit message field in 2017.2.1 because this shortcut toggles the “Cleanup” checkbox now.

3. Nikita says:

Can you please make usual shortcuts of Run/Debug to work in this Dashboard as well?

4. Artur says:

Almost everything great. However, I have some freezes when I’m editing Kotlin files….

5. Nathan says:

What happened to the ability to having only a single tab open? It forces you to have a minimum of 2 tabs, even if you have your tab limit set to 1 in Editor > General > Editor Tabs > Tab Closing Policy section > Tab limit. This was removed a few updates ago and really slows down mine and my team’s workflow.

6. Artyom Gornostayev says:

Hi,
    I have a problem with Run Dashboard. The tab is not displayed.

-Dide.run.dashboard=true is set.
    idea.log:

2017-08-07 08:44:30,487 [ 24275] INFO – tartup.impl.StartupManagerImpl – SpringBootApplicationRunDashboardChecker run in 122ms on UI thread

Build: #IU-172.3544.35

Please, help me! :-)

• Konstantin Aleev says:

Hello! At first, there is no need to explicitly enable Run Dashboard via VM property since 2017.2.1. However Spring Boot run configurations are not shown in Run Dashboard by default. In order to work with Spring Boot run configuration in Run Dashboard one need to enable ‘Show in Run Dashboard’ checkbox in Edit Run/Debug Configurations dialog. As soon as there are more than one Spring Boot run configuration in a project, Intellij IDEA would offer to show them in Run Dashboard.

7. Mike Lythgoe says:

The Run Dashboard is a great feature, the sort of thing that you didn’t even realise was missing but you’re really glad it’s here now.
    I’m using it for a Spring Boot app and it’s so easy to choose the profile and whether to run it in debug mode.

8. damon says:

After I have upgraded the IntelliJ IDEA 2017.2.1, when I’m coding with Chinese input method of the MacOS in the editor, the IDE get stuck, why? Is there a bug?

9. Jonathan Sandusky says:

How do I get rid of the Run Dashboard in my spring-boot project. I don’t like it.

• Konstantin Aleev says:

It could be done by disabling ‘Show in Run Dashboard’ in Run/Debug Configurations dialog. ‘Show in Run Dashboard’ could be disabled for a particular run configuration as well as for Spring Boot run configurations defaults. ‘Show in Run Dashboard’ is disabled for new projects by default.

10. Doug Hawkinson says:

I had to abandon 2017.2.1 and go back to 2017.1.5. I was having to ‘force quit’ the app too many times to unfreeze it. After manually going in and uninstalling ALL plugins and re-installing only Jetbrains plugins (the fix that worked last time this happened), I had to give up because nothing changed. I don’t have time to troubleshoot this issue right now, and who knows if I would find the issue anyway.

11. François says:

Just out of curiosity: what kind of tool did you use to make those animated screenshots, like the first one here? They look really fluid.and crisp.

12. Jens Hadlich says:

What I learned today about the JVM “launch optimization”: It works by adding two JVM parameters: -XX:TieredStopAtLevel=1 -Xverify:none

Tiered compilation came in with Java 7 btw … 6 years ago :)