IntelliJ IDEA 2017.2.2: Kotlin 1.1.4, Better Performance and More

We’re glad to announce the availability of IntelliJ IDEA 2017.2.2, that brings you numerous bugfixes and improvements, most notable of which are:

• Major performance regression (KT-18921)
  • Crashes that occurred with the use of using custom fonts (JRE-426)
  • Wrong HiDPI scaling on multiple monitors for Windows 10 (JRE-427 and JRE-431)

Kotlin plugin has been updated to v1.1.4 and brings new refactorings, inspections, quick-fixes, and more.

Also, IntelliJ IDEA 2017.2.2 brings:

• Support for CSS Modules with LESS and SASS
  • XQuery/XPath with Language Injection
  • Favorites in the Database tool window

You can install this update either via Toolbox App, or as a patch for IntelliJ IDEA 2017.2.1 (use Check for Updates), or otherwise just get an installer from our website.

Bug reports and your feedback, as always, are very welcome in our issue tracker.

The Drive to Develop

About Andrey Cheptsov

Part-time dreamer. JVM/JavaScript geek. IntelliJIDEA Marketing Manager at JetBrains.
This entry was posted in Releases and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to IntelliJ IDEA 2017.2.2: Kotlin 1.1.4, Better Performance and More

1. Liam says:

Update pretty much broke my Intellij. Mouse does not act as if it is in the correct place, expanded right-click menus are detached from the parent menu. Some right-click menus appear on another monitor or don’t account for being off-screen so they get cut off. Floating tool windows cannot be clicked as I have to account for where Intellij thinks the mouse is, not where it actually is…

2. Patrick says:

Hi – can you point to some documentation on the CSS Modules support? Can’t find anything in online help. Thanks!

3. Mario says:

Hey, just wanted to inform you guys of a little bug I encountered with this update.

When my computer’s screen goes off after a while in standby, the IDE re-scales and everything gets way too big for my screen size, leaving little room for work. If someone else is experiencing this, it gets fixed (temporarily) when the IDE is restarted, but for a permanent solution what I did was:

In Help > Edit Custom VM Options… add this line:

-Dsun.java2d.uiScale.enabled=false

In case that it matters, I am using a laptop and a second screen through hdmi. Both screens are 1080p and scaled to the windows recommended setting (main laptop screen is 125%, secondary screen is 100%). I use IntelliJ in the main screen.

4. Mischa says:

For me, UI rendering is completely broken with this release. Every time i close and reopen the lid of the laptop, awake it from sleep, or disconnect an external monitor, rendering quality turns into something that looks like late 90s: Fonts are way too big, and everything looks pixelated. The only way I found to fix it is restarting the IDE. Very annoying.

• Mario says:

Yes. I explained how to fix it, but for some reason they deleted my comment.

Go to Help > Edit Custom VM Options and add this line:

-Dsun.java2d.uiScale.enabled=false

• Mischa says:

Thanks, Mario, this solves the font rendering issue. But it leads to another problem (which i hoped to solve with the 2017.2.2 release): IDEA does not render on an external monitor, if that monitor has a more-than-FullHD resolution.
        Currently I have two choices: Either live with pixelated and too big fonts, or work on my laptop’s main display only

• Satheeq says:

Same issue here. In Windows 10. Really disappointed.

• Andrey Cheptsov says:

Sorry about that. Sounds similar to this issue: https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/DBE-5023
      If it’s different, please file another one.

5. Chema says:

I’m unable to download the update from 2017.1.5
    When I click on the “Download” button I’m carried to the web page https://www.jetbrains.com/idea/?fromIDE= and nothing happens.
    Any idea how to get this working without downloading the full package again?

• Andrey Cheptsov says:

Sorry for getting back to your comment late. What version do you use? The patch should be available if you have 2017.1.X version.

6. Arvind Mohabir says:

Yep, the UI rendering is also broken for me. The fonts are way too big.

7. Anthony McKale says:

Afraid this latest release has broken my intellij installation, on restarting IDE after update, worked for 1-2 hours then crashed with nothing displaying but the outline of the application chrome which never rendered, apon restarting same behaviour,

looking to like i’m going to have to reinstall now ….

That said the first bad update I’ve ever seen in 4-5 years of using intellij

ENV: windows 10 x64, Intel i7-4600U CPU, 8GB RAM

java version “1.8.0_131”
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_131-b11)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.131-b11, mixed mode)

8. Simon Diemert says:

I have also had rendering issues that occur on an external monitor (but not on my laptops built in monitor), in summary:

– Fonts (both code editor and fonts for tool windows) are incredibly small and don’t seem to improve by increasing font editor size.
    – Context menus and file menus (top bar, e.g. edit, file, view etc.) render off screen and are not attached to anything.

This is making it difficult for me to use this product. I would appreciate a fix ASAP.

Running Windows 10.0.15063 on Lenovo Thinkpad hardware.

9. André Ventura says:

About the big fonts, check your settings; my font size was somehow set to 19 after the update:
    “Appearance & Behaviour > Appearance”
    “Editor > Font”
    “Editor > Color Scheme > Color Scheme Font”

10. Edward Rothwell says:

.feature files which link to ruby step definitions seem to be broken with the latest update. I’ve tried uninstalling/reinstalling cucumber/gherkin but still not working.