IntelliJ IDEA 2018.2 RC2 is here!

Time is flying by, we are already just a few steps away from the release of IntelliJ IDEA 2018.2! The second Release Candidate of IntelliJ IDEA 2018.2 is out! And as usual, you can download it from the website, update via Toolbox App, or use patches for the in-product update if you’re using the previous RC build.

Just a quick heads up! This build requires an active subscription to IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate, or alternatively, you can use a trial license.

This build comes with improvements in the MacBook Touch bar support. Firstly, we’ve added the “Add configuration” button in the Run/Debug configuration dialog.

Touch Bar Shot 2018-07-17 at 13.37.53

Also, there is a new Welcome dialog layout:

Touch Bar Shot 2018-07-17 at 12.59.00
We have also fixed a couple of other issues in MacBook Touch bar support: the “More items” button now works in Run/Debug configurations dialog, there have been some small usability improvements in the debugger layout, and more all of which you can find in the release notes.

We value your feedback a lot; please continue to share your thoughts and suggestions: discussion forum, issue tracker, Twitter or here in the comments!

Stay tuned, or you might miss the announcement of the release of IntelliJ IDEA 2018.2!

About Zlata Kalyuzhnaya

IntelliJ IDEA Marketing Manager at JetBrains. twitter: @ZlataKalyuzhnay ‏
This entry was posted in Release Candidates and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to IntelliJ IDEA 2018.2 RC2 is here!

1. Charlie says:

I thought the overall consensus was that TouchBar was dead-on-arrival. 😉

• Michael Barker says:

I tried out IntelliJ’s touch har support for a few days but went back to having the touch bar default to function keys. I find shortcuts much quicker than using the touch bar. Since I can only choose one or the other since there are no physical function keys I choose function keys as they have much more utility.

2. I though the same. Bought the regular Fn keys version for that reason. Any reviews from people using it?

3. Yaroslav Kihtan says:

Are there any plans to fix markdown preview? All JetBrains IDE-s have broken markdown rendering for few last releases.

4. Jon Smit says:

For me Mac is maybe something good for people who do image editing. For programming Linux for me is much better.

• Bric3 says:

Sure there is too many bad things on macs. But if most people like or want macs, even now in spite of this touchbar horror, is because they don’t only program. They print (printing can still be a major pain with Linux) ; they scan (I’m still confused by which software I should use and how on a linux distribution) ; people plugs in hidpi screens or not, they plug projectors (linux handling has still major issues handling external TVs, or screens that don’t have the same DPI, or some external display) ; they use word or excel (and Google Docs or Libreoffice is not always on par) ; screensharing is possible with more software ; they can use bluetooth keyboard and mouse on boot (good luck finding a bluetooth chip that has hid-proxy mode to have them available in the BIOS) ; all of these is still way inferior in usability, stability to what osx offers. So regardless of the quality of some Linux tech, the overall balance is that the mac platform is more usable for a greater variety of tasks.

5. Todd Breiholz says:

Anyone else *not* seeing the touchbar change? All I see are the Fn keys. I’ve tried adjusting the defaults in the Keyboard control panel but no matter what I do, the touch bar does not change. MacOS 10.12.6

6. Chris R says:

Thanks – the TouchBar support in AppCode is absolutely brilliant.

The first piece of software to use it in such a way that I miss it when I use an external keyboard.

Thank you for the solid implementation.