Zlata Kalyuzhnaya

The latest IntelliJ IDEA 2020.2 EAP build with a new feature pack is ready for you to now try! Inside it you’ll find:

• Problems View
  • Improved Git actions dialogs
  • Android 4.0

Download EAP builds from our website, or update from the Toolbox App

As usual, the EAP builds for IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate are free to use, but they expire within 30 days of the build date.

Problems View

We are continuing our efforts to make it easier to see warnings and errors and navigate around them.

With the very first EAP build of IntelliJ IDEA 2020.2 we introduced a new Inspections Widget that displays the number of warnings and errors in the current file and allows you to easily navigate between them. Today we introduce a new Problems View tool window that shows the list of warnings and errors in the current file and gives you a description of those problems. What’s more, you can quickly fix the problems right from this tool window by invoking the Alt+Enter shortcut.
You can also navigate from the Problems View tool window to the place in your code where the problem was encountered with just one right-click of your mouse.

You can open this new Problems View by clicking on the Inspection Widget, or alternatively you can open it from the main menu | View | Tool Window | Problems.

ProblemsView

VCS

Improved Git actions dialogs

We have redesigned the Git dialogs for actions such as Merge, Pull, and Rebase to have greater visual consistency and less clutter. We’ve also made it easier to understand which Git command will be executed, and also included some previously missing options.
We’ve added the –rebase option to the Pull dialog and the –no-verify option to the Merge dialog.

Git Pull dialog

Git Pull dialog

VCSMerge

Git Merge dialog

VCSRebase

Git Rebase Dialog

Android Studio

We also have some good news for Android developers – the newest EAP build of IntelliJ IDEA 2020.2 includes all the changes from Android Studio 4.0. To learn more about the features of this new version, please refer to the Android Studio blog post.

Missing a feature or found a bug? Please leave your feedback in our issue tracker.

Happy Developing!

Comments below can no longer be edited.

8 Responses to IntelliJ IDEA 2020.2 EAP4: Problems View, Improved Git Actions Dialogs, and More

1. Ja says:

June 18, 2020

The toolbox isn’t listing this update yet.

• Zlata Kalyuzhnaya says:

June 18, 2020

Now its all good! Grab the update from the Toolbox App.

2. Kirill Rakhman says:

June 19, 2020

Wish the Problem View would show all Problems in the Project, similar to Solution Wide Analysis in Rider.

• Dmitry Jemerov says:

June 22, 2020

“We plan to extend the functionality of the Problems View in the future. Stay tuned!”

3. Oleksandr says:

June 21, 2020

Please revert back Merge dialog… I like to see all branches from the start. And I seen much more branched then in current dropdown ((
    Also previously I do 3 clicks to configure my merge – select branch, add logs and no fast forward. Those chackboxes are positioned at the same place so click-move-click takes 0.2sec Now I need to click 2x times (6 clicks)! + additional scroll to branch. I cannot work with that dialog fast, because it is 6 clicks, options are hidden, form is resizing during clicks and controls which accepts clicks are much smaller! with old form I can do merge with closed eyes but current is very UX-unfrendly.

Old behavior: open merge, click commit, click option 1, click option2, cleck merge.
    New: open merge, move mouse to small combobox button and click it, scroll to branch, click on branch, expand ‘modify options’, select option 1, move mouse back and then adjust mouse position (because my hand automatically moves cursor to previous combobox position, but! form resized!), expand ‘modify options’ one more time, select option2, click merge.

BTW: Where is merge strategies?
    why by default idea suggests merge current branch into current?

• Dmitriy Smirnov says:

June 22, 2020

Thanks for the feedback.
      There are no plans to revert the dialogs, however, we will work on improving usability.

The new dialog remembers all the previously selected options so there is no need to click options every time it is opened. Do you need to change them often? Why?

The branch list currently shows all branches, but it will be changed to show only those that have commits to merge – https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/IDEA-243170

Also, the options list will not be collapsed after selecting an option – https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/IDEA-244260

> Where is merge strategies?

They were removed as rarely used. Could you please specify how often do you change them and what is the workflow that forces doing so?

> why by default idea suggests merge current branch into current?

By default, it pre-selects the tracked branch. This mimics the git merge behavior on the command line. However, when branches are filtered, the initial selection will be different.

4. Oleksandr says:

June 23, 2020

@Dmitry Smirnov
    > The new dialog remembers all the previously selected options
    Thanks for that )
    About merge strategies: sure, I use non-default trategies very rarely, (actually only ‘ours’ ) but for me this dialog was like to ‘Advanced merge’ options. For simple and fast merge we have context menu in git log window.

> By default, it pre-selects the tracked branch
    1. For tracked branch I never use ‘Merge’ dialog. I use “Update project” instead.
    2. No, in my case I have current branch selected by default. In my case it has name “dev”. Remote branch “origin/dev” exists also but on 3rd position in the list. It seems list of branches is sorted alphabetically and we have 1st item as default.
    But in any case approach with ListBox for branches (when I can see many branches at once) is more appropriate for me. I can resize dialod and increase amount of visible items. Also I dont need to do extra click to expand combobox and then scroll to branches at middle/bottom of the list (usually I have ~20..30 branches)

> when branches are filtered, the initial selection will be different
    Did not understand that. Do you mean filter when I expand combobox and start typing? If yes – then it is not ‘initial selection’.