Kotlin’s adoption significantly increased in 2015, and we are especially grateful to our early adopters, who not only used Kotlin, but shared their experiences through different mediums. We’d like to highlight the most notable articles and videos of the past year.
By the way, you can join us on slack and subscribe to the #feed channel, where we push quite a bit of interesting content as it appears.
N.B: Some of the following articles use outdated versions of Kotlin in the examples and should be interpreted in the context of the time at which they were written
Top 6 General Publications
- Why Kotlin is my next programming languagу by Mike Hearn. (Read also his introduction about function programming in Kotlin)
- Kotlin — my productivity language by Mark Platvoet
- Production Ready Kotlin by Jayson Minard. To read this one you should be a member of the Kotlin group on LinkedIn.
- Early Impressions of Kotlin by Nat Pryce
- One month with Kotlin by Ademar Olivera
- There was also a well-written and useful overview of Kotlin in Java Magazine by Hadi Hariri
Top 5 Android Publication
- Epic read by Jake Wharton: “Using Project Kotlin for Android”
- Short intro Kotlin for Android Developers and whole book by Antonio Leiva
- Read also about Antonio’s experience in converting Plaid app into Kotlin: part 1, part 2
- Streamline Android Java Code with Kotlin by Aldo Ziflaj
- Mirror and Kotlin by Linton Ye
Top 5 Technical Publications
- Great overview of some standard functions: Exploring the Kotlin standard library by Cedric Beust
- Read also about Cedric’s development of Kobalt — the new build system fully written in Kotlin: part 1, part 2, part 3, part 4
- Are you familiar with Quasar? A library that provides high-performance lightweight threads, Go-like channels, Erlang-like actors, and other asynchronous programming tools. Quasar and Kotlin – a Powerful Match, see also the recording of our webinar by Fabio Tudone
- Spark is a tiny framework for creating web applications in Java 8 with minimal effort. Read about building APIs on the JVM Using Kotlin and Spark: part 1, part 2 by Travis Spencer
- Kotlin for cross platform mobile app development by Joseph Hager
Top 5 Events Recordings
In 2015 there were more than 50 talks and meetups about kotlin. We try to keep track of all events (with all available slides and recordings) on Kotlin event page. Also it’s a calendar of upcoming events. Take a look!
- Advancing Android Development with the Kotlin Language by Jake Wharton
- Kotlin: A New Hope in a Java 6 Wasteland by Michael Prado. See also the amazing slides and transcription of the talk
- Functional Programming with Kotlin by Mike Hearn
- I built an app in Kotlin, and my client still paid me by Matt Wear
- Android developer Damian Petla shares his experience on using Kotlin for their Android projects.
Thanks for watching and let’s kotlin