MPS source code repository is publicly available now

Posted on by ashatalin

If you did not know JetBrains MPS is an open-source project and we are glad to inform you that MPS source code (git) repository is publicly available now, just before MPS 1.5 release. You can check out the code either by using IntelliJ IDEA or from the command line.

To check out from IntelliJ IDEA, select “Version Control | Checkout from Version Control | Git” from the main menu. In the “Git Repository URL” field, enter:

git://git.jetbrains.org/mps/mps.git

To check out from the command line, use the following command:

git clone git://git.jetbrains.org/mps/mps.git

In addition you can browse MPS sources using git web access.

There are two branches currently available in this repository:

• MPS1.5 (upcoming MPS 1.5 release branch)
  • master (MPS 2.0 version development)

You are welcome to checkout current development state, stay up to date with latest features and fixes, and of course contribute your patches!

Develop with pleasure!
-JetBrains MPS Team

Comments below can no longer be edited.

8 Responses to MPS source code repository is publicly available now

1. Aaron Digulla says:

March 9, 2011

Can you please run “git gc” (http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-gc.html) on your server? Cloning takes a pretty long time on the remote side (counting+compressing objects) before it starts the download.

Thanks.

2. ashatalin says:

March 11, 2011

I think our git repository is simply rather big, so I think you have to wait… BTW, what does it mean “pretty long time”?

3. virgo47 says:

March 14, 2011

Yesterday I gave up after 10 or 15 minutes? Directory had 14k for ages, I thought the whole thing is just broken. After reading these comments I decided to be more patient. I’ll see. Community Idea had no such problem BTW. It poured in quickly without any suspect stalling right after the start.

4. virgo47 says:

March 14, 2011

40 minutes and counting… 🙂 Still 14kb.

5. ashatalin says:

March 14, 2011

I’ve just tried to clone MPS open repository into a clean location:

remote: Counting objects: 893483, done.
    (it took 2 minutes to count everything..)

Are you experiencing problems with this counting step?

6. virgo47 says:

March 15, 2011

I honestly don’t know what is wrong. This is current Version Control output in Idea:
    16:04:06.387: cd .
    16:04:06.424: git ls-remote git://git.jetbrains.org/mps/mps.git master
    72bbb94dcf52d7ceedd8463cc47dff8e4981d076 refs/heads/master

16:04:25.578: cd c:work
    16:04:25.579: git clone git://git.jetbrains.org/mps/mps.git mps-src
    Cloning into mps-src…

When I did it via cmd line, it took like 2 mins to count everything (897023, done), but then Compressing is the real problem.

It went quite quickly to 89%, then it got suddenly REALLY slow around 150000/167782)… eventually it started to go faster (after like 5 mins) and then download started. Now I’m around 4% of objects (around 40k/897k), it’s hanging there while megabytes went from a few to 80MB…

From command line I at least see the process is going somewhere (not obvious in Idea), but compared to IntelliJ IDEA repository download this is just pure pain. Something is definitely wrong with it.

7% – 150MiB… that’s horrifying. 😉 (And % is not linear to MiBs, so I can’t tell what’s the final number.)

7. ashatalin says:

March 15, 2011

Well, whole MPS repository size is about 2.5 Gb.. This is full repository with all history and I think IDEA repository is even bigger.

Good point is: you have to download it once and then update – this process should be fast enough.

8. virgo47 says:

March 15, 2011

OK… long story short… I made it. In command line on my home computer with download over 2MiB/s it took around 40 mins or so. Download itself was 2.15 GiB, resulting directory 3 GiB, just .git in that dir is over 2.3 GiB.

Idea is much smaller when compared to this (1.3G the whole directory after the checkout).

So I can just recommend to other users who want to check it out:
    * a lot of patience
    * fast internet (this is the longest, but not the only part)
    * using command line to see what is happening
    * and… a lot of patience 🙂