New Project Management Window in PhpStorm 10

Posted on by Gary Hockin

Everyone wants to be able to find the project they need to work on quickly and easily, so to help, PhpStorm 10 introduces the new and improved Project Management window.

The new project management pane has some really nice new ways that you can organize your projects. First, you can organize projects into groups. Groups are like folders that contain different projects, which means you don’t just have one long flat list of projects in the project selection window.

To create a new group, right-click anywhere in the left hand list of projects, and select “New Project Group“. Once you’ve created a group, you can easily move a project into that group by right-clicking on it, selecting “Move to Group“, and then picking the group that you’d like to place the project in.

Project Management Pane

The other cool new features is the ability to give each project its own icon. The icons help you quickly recognize the project you’re looking for in the projects list. Adding an icon to a project is also really simple. Just right-click on the project you want to give an icon, and select “Change Icon“. PhpStorm will then let you change the icon for either the dark or light themes by just browsing to the image you’d like to use.

The new project management window also allows you to remove projects from the pane altogether by selecting “Remove Selected From Welcome Screen“. You can see the project management window when you have no projects open, or you can fire it up at any time by selecting “File->Open Recent->Manage Projects…”.

Hopefully, this small but useful tool will take some more pain out of your day. Let me know what you think.

– Gary and the PhpStorm Team

JetBrains

The Drive to Develop

Comments below can no longer be edited.

12 Responses to New Project Management Window in PhpStorm 10

1. mblaschke says:

December 21, 2015

Yeah, nice feature.. waiting for it since i changed from Eclipse 🙂
    Would be nice to store the image inside the project eg. as “.idea.icon.png” of simplify setting icons via git 🙂

2. Lasse Rafn says:

December 21, 2015

Nice!

I dig @mblaschke:disqus’s idea though

3. mnapoli says:

December 21, 2015

Awesome news!

4. Yevhen Kushnir says:

December 22, 2015

Ахуєть!!!

5. Евгений Терентьев says:

December 23, 2015

Кстати, было бы просто отлично иметь возможность группировать или архивировать настройки серверов в разделе Deployment.

6. vesper8 says:

December 24, 2015

err… how do you bring up this window? Can’t find it anywhere…

• D Dante Lorenso says:

December 28, 2015

I’m with vesper8 here. How do you bring up this window, exactly? If this feature only exists on the “welcome” screen, it’s pretty useless. I only see the welcome screen if I’m forced to reboot my Mac. Usually I just close the lid and PHPStorm is always running in the background. I don’t see “Welcome” under any of the menus. So … this feature can only be accessed by closing PHPStorm and opening it again? Useless.

• vesper8 says:

December 28, 2015

yep my point exactly. Plus when I use PHPStorm I always have at least two projects opened which I alternate by using the Cmd-tilde key. So closing both projects just to get to this project management window is a big hassle. As it is I have to use the “open recent” instead. Would be nice to be able to map this window to a shortcut.

• Anna Lebedeva says:

December 30, 2015

You can also access this window directly from PhpStorm by using “File->Open Recent->Manage Projects…”. Another way would be to use “Find Action” (Ctrl+Shift+A) -> Manage Projects.

7. appdezign_nl says:

January 6, 2016

The Project Groups are awesome, but I can’t seem to figure out what the ‘order’ is of the projects inside a group. I would expect the order to be ‘most recently used projects’, but it isn’t (at least not on my Mac). The order seems to be random, and I can not change the order. So when a group gets bigger, it takes forever to find the right project (I have about 50 projects). And if that is the intended behaviour of the new Recent Project Window, then we’re back where we started. Anyone have the same problem?