PHP Annotated Monthly – February 2017
As 2017 gets going, let’s take a look at everything of interest in the PHP world, with Gary Hockin, Developer Advocate for PhpStorm at JetBrains.
Don’t forget: you can now get PHP Annotated Monthly delivered to your inbox, so you’ll never miss the monthly roundup again. Sign up here and get next month’s PHP Annotated Monthly delivered right to you.
PHP and Development
As I say every month; now is the time to upgrade to PHP 7. PHP 7.2 is actively in development, and there’s never been a better excuse to upgrade. Upgrading is not as difficult as you may think.
Notable posts in PHP this month include:
- Weebly Engineering Blog: Streamed File Zipping and Downloading in PHP
- Eleven Labs Blog: RabbitMQ: Publish, Consume, and Retry Messages
- SitePoint PHP Blog: How to Make Modern PHP More Modern? With Preprocessing!
- Laravel News: Deprecations for PHP 7.2
- ThePHP.cc: Refactoring to PHP 7
- Arpatech.com: 9 Things You Should Need to Know About PHP 7
- SitePoint PHP Blog: Calendar as a Service in PHP? Easy, with Google Calendar API!
- NetTuts.com: Building Your Startup: Automatic Time-Zone Detection
- Adam Wathan: Methods Are Affordances, Not Abilities
- Exakat Blog: PHP likes sorting too much
- Freek Lijten: Sane defaults over Exceptions
- On structuring PHP projects
- SitePoint PHP Blog: Home-Made Twitter and Gmail Notifications with PHP and Arduino
- Freek Van der Herten: Easily work with the Twitter Streaming API in PHP
- James Cowie: All hail Xdebug and lets let var dump die
- QaFoo Blog: Getting Rid of static
- Derick Rethans: Good Bye PHP 5
- Toptal.com: How to Build a Multilingual App: A Demo With PHP and Gettext
- Freek Van der Herten: Making overloaded functions readable
- Aidan Woods: Secure Headers for PHP
- Mattias Noback: Containerizing a static website with Docker, part III
Frameworks and Libraries
- Symfony Finland: A practical introduction to TypeScript for PHP developers
- Matt Stauffer: Introducing Laravel Dusk (new in Laravel 5.4)
- thePHP.cc: Migrating to PHPUnit 6
- StartTutorial.com: Dynamic image resizing via URI with Glide and Slim
- Alejandro Celaya: Run PHPUnit tests inside a docker container from PhpStorm
- Zend Framework Blog: Paginating data collections with zend-paginator
- Rob Allen: Rendering ApiProblem with PSR-7
- Leonid Mamchenkov: composer-patches – Simple patches plugin for Composer
- SitePoint PHP Blog: Testing Frenzy – Can We BDD Test the Units?
- Dac Chartrand: Building a Simple API using Opulence PHP
- Scotch.io: Laravel Random Keys with Keygen
- Matthew Weier O’Phinney: PSR-7 Request and Method Utilities
- TutsPlus.com: Using Illuminate Database With Eloquent in Your PHP App Without Laravel
- Zend Framework Blog: Implement a SOAP server with zend-soap
- DeliciousBrains.com: Hooks, Line, and Sinker: WordPress’ New WP_Hook Class
- Master Zend Framework: How To Generate Dependency Configuration’s Easily with ConfigDumper
- Laravel News: Laravel 5.4 Is Now Released
- Matthieu Napoli: Using anonymous classes to write simpler tests
- Michael Dyrynda: Switching PHP versions with Laravel Valet
- Zend Blog: Answering your questions about unit testing
- Matthias Noback: Introducing the SymfonyConsoleForm package
- Master Zend Framework: How To Generate Class Factories The Easy Way with FactoryCreator
- Laravel News: How to Use Old Versions of Laravel Homestead
- NetTuts.com: Using Namespaces and Autoloading in WordPress Plugins, Part 4
- Zend Framework Blog: Implement an XML-RPC server with zend-xmlrpc
- Adam Wathan: Optimizing Your PHPUnit Workflow in Sublime Text
- Symfony Blog: Symfony 2016 Year in Review
- Zend Framework Blog: Implement JSON-RPC with zend-json-server
- Laravel News: Checking the Code Complexity of your App
- Medium.com: Framework Code Complexity Comparison
- Laravel News: Seven Tips to Learn Laravel More Effectively
Community, Career, and Events
Sadly, the excellent service for receiving open calls for papers right to your inbox – The CPF Report, has closed its doors. In the short term then, until another tool fills the gap, here’s a list of PHP conferences with an open CFP:
- CakeFest 2017
Some of these links go to the joind.in page – an excellent source of open CFPs. Other community links are:
- Delicious Brains: Our Struggles to Stay Healthy While Working From Home Part 2
- Laravel News: Habits of Highly Productive Tech Teams
Thanks for reading, you’ll notice we’ve gone for a slightly different format again this month – there’s less of me writing and more links, let us know what you think.
Have a great February, and we’ll see you again next month.
— Gary & The PhpStorm Team
Subscribe to Blog updates
Thanks, we've got you!
PhpStorm 2023.3 RC
PhpStorm 2023.3 Release Candidate bundles the Pest plugin into PhpStorm, so you'll now be able to enjoy it out of the box.
PhpStorm 2023.3 Beta 2
In this build, we’ve added new inspections for PHP assertions and revised the integration with third-party quality tools.
PhpStorm Now Supports PHP 8.3
PhpStorm now provides full support for PHP 8.3 feature: the new `#[Override]` attribute and `json_validate()` function, and more!