Features

Work with Bitbucket from your favorite IDE, with a plugin by Atlassian

Hi everyone!

We always enjoy getting into a new community to understand how the practices inside it differ from other communities, e.g. Java from Ruby, Ruby from Python, etc.

One of the “de facto” standards of the Python community is Mercurial as the favorite version control system. And with PyCharm, we’ve been shipping a built-it Mercurial GUI client since the 1.0 release.

But then, there are services like Bitbucket that host the code. And since an IDE is all about “integrated environment”, why not integrate with them? Sure, we can do everything some day, but what we love above all is when a volunteer or a service owner steps in and creates an awesome IDE plugin.

And the Atlassian team just did that!
A new Bitbucket plugin is now available in our repository that offers a simple and well-working integration allowing you to:

• checkout your existing Bitbucket repository and auto-open it as a project, and
  • share a project on Bitbucket instantly, without leaving the IDE.

The plugin works perfectly well with PyCharm and all other IDEs built on the IntelliJ Platform.

Develop with pleasure! And use version control!

Comments below can no longer be edited.

18 Responses to Work with Bitbucket from your favorite IDE, with a plugin by Atlassian

1. Avatar

Robert says:

August 10, 2011

Awesome indeed!

2. Avatar

Madis says:

August 11, 2011

Cool.

A bit offtopic, but just wanted to say I wish the changes tab would be as useful for Mercurial as it is for SVN.

3. Avatar

Robert says:

August 15, 2011

I am now using this! It is pretty cool. Never used hg before but now I am using it as I learn Python. 🙂

4. Avatar

Victor Hooi says:

August 19, 2011

heya,

Just wondering – is there proxy support in-built to this?

Couldn’t seem to get it to work behind our corporate proxy.

(PyCharm is setup with my proxy already, and it managed to download and install the plugin fine via the proxy – it’s just actually using it that appears to timeout).

Cheers,
    Victor

5. Avatar

Roberto Santana says:

September 19, 2011

I’m having the same problem with timeout, which leads me to believe proxy support is not enabled on this plugin…

6. Avatar

Sean Esopenko says:

April 17, 2013

Does it work with Intellij 12? It’s not an option under VCS->Import Into Version Control. How do I add my existing project to Bitbucket?

7. Avatar

jwjb says:

November 15, 2014

Installed this plugin, but it would be great if Bitbucket had the same kind of deep integration and features that GitHub has in WebStorm 9.

8. Avatar

Nikos says:

October 4, 2015

Doesn’t work, I get message “getting list of repo’s” and then nothing happens.

9. Avatar

rahul says:

December 19, 2015

which plugin should i use for android studio for bitbucket

10. Avatar

Max Mustermann says:

February 21, 2016

[quote]Doesn’t work, I get message “getting list of repo’s” and then nothing happens.[/quote]
    Same here. Would be nice to see a dev. response on that.

11. Avatar

Chai Ang says:

May 23, 2017

Getting a 404 error.

12. Avatar

Martinenko says:

June 4, 2018

Hm,

From Bitbucket Linky page: “Please note that Linky is not officially supported by Atlassian.”
    But as I understood, this one is created by Atlassian team so it must be supported by them…

So can someone provide correct link to Atlassian product or information is it still alive and available for using…

Thanks

Ernst Haagsman says:

June 11, 2018

It looks like the official Atlassian plugin has been abandoned by Atlassian, they haven’t updated it for over 2 years now. Bitbucket linky is a community-made plugin, so it’s not supported by Atlassian. However, since it’s newer it’ll probably work better.

13. Avatar

satya says:

March 24, 2020

can someone please provide detailed description/video for pycharm integration with bitbucket,
    Detailed steps involved and plugins.
    I am very new to these concepts.

Discover more