PyCharm 5.0.2 update released along with new JetBrains branding

First, we’re glad to announce the immediate availability of the PyCharm 5.0.2 release update. This update introduces a massive list of bug-fixes and changes described in detail in the Release Notes. The build is already available for download from our website.

PyCharm_400x400_Twitter_logo_whiteSecond, today is a big day for us at JetBrains as we’re rolling out new company branding. You will surely notice a number of visual changes in PyCharm 5.0.2 that have to do with this. Head also to our completely redesigned website, and read about the branding update in this blog post. PyCharm Edu also gets these changes and releases as PyCharm Edu 2.0.3.

The most significant fixes in PyCharm 5.0.2 include:

• numerous visual changes according to the new company branding
  • numerous fixes for different performance issues
  • fixes for docstrings support
  • fixes for Docker and remote interpreters support
  • a number of fixes for scientific tools, including IPython Notebook, matplotlib and miniconda support
  • a few fixes for Django support
  • a number of fixes for the debugger
  • fixes for integrated test runner
  • numerous platform fixes and improvements, including UI and VCS fixes and more

As usual, please report any problems you find in our issue tracker. If you would like to discuss your experiences with PyCharm, we look forward to your feedback in the comments to this blog post and on twitter.

Drive to Develop!
The PyCharm Team

About Dmitry Filippov

Product Marketing Manager at JetBrains
This entry was posted in Release Announcements. Bookmark the permalink.

68 Responses to PyCharm 5.0.2 update released along with new JetBrains branding

1. Roman says:

Guys, give back old PyCharm icon! It’s hardly possible to identify the program by those “PC” letters on formless background

• David Fraser says:

Hear, hear! The old PyCharm icon is brilliant – fun, Pythonish, readable. Why can’t the entwined PC shape be imported on top of the old background?

• jason says:

Great idea to use an actual old icon file. thanks Derek! To JetBrains, I just want to echo the sentiment. the old icon may have been too “cute”, but it was easily identifiable and represented the program well, with the snake-C slithering through the Pythonic P.

For mac users, open the Pycharm app contents then replace Contents/Resources/PyCharm.icns with the file Derek linked to.

• Erik says:

I am also in agreement with the Icon. My first thought was it was downloading something with a half-loaded progress bar, and the PC was “Personal Computer” not to mention the square looked like it had just squashed a bug. Out of curiosity as I am not having any luck locating the file to replace the new icon with the old, what is the pathway on Windows?

• Aleksei says:

I agree.

It doesn’t have to be default, but I think there are many users who would appreciate just having an extra “classic” icon bundled with new installs. Unless JetBrains wants to really get away from the old branding – it shouldn’t be hard to just add an extra graphic asset, and may be a tiny checkbox (“use older classic icon”), right?

• Gotta agree. Its a small thing, but i actually went back and pulled the old icon and replaced it. Sorry, but the desktop icon is not “branding”. Its what we use to identify what to click on.

• Chris says:

I agree – I also prefer icons whose form pictorially reflects what they stand for.

2. Fabiano Parente says:

The download page is linking to version 4.5.4.

3. Francesco Maida says:

I agree… the new icon you have chosen for PyCharm is horrible. The old icon was so cute… this instead remembers me the old MS-DOS prompt icon from the days of Windows 95.

4. Brandon says:

I completely agree. When I see PC I only think of “personal computer.” Horrible decision for pycharm. Competely generic looking, not brand identifying.

5. Chris says:

There doesn’t seem to be an option to update via a patch – only a button that links to the download page. Is this intentional, or just temporary?

• Dmitry Filippov says:

We don’t provide a patch for this update with new branding. SO the only option is to download a full installer.

• Roy says:

That’s very inconvenient. I use a portable installation, which means I normally have to rely on PyCharm to use it’s built in updater that applies a patch update.

• Dmitry Filippov says:

I understand. We couldn’t build a patch for this release update due to some technical problems (this update introduces non-standard changes, including new graphics in UI).

6. Emmanuel says:

Glad to hear that you’re addressing the performance issues. This has been one of the biggest problems with the PyCharm 5.0 so far and 5.0.2 feels much better now.

But the new logo is truly horrible! The funny colors together with the “PC” (Personal Computer?) looks way too generic and has lost any relation to Python. I understand you’re copying Adobe’s product branding. But theirs looks much less silly.

7. Olivier Pons says:

I agree with all comments: the new icon is very, very ugly. PC feels like “Personal Computer”, not “PyCharm”, there’s no icon anymore (not actual visible icon) and the new colors are soo flashy compare to the full IDE that it’s not homogeneous, it’s like a good IDE where we put kid’s bubble gum on it. Bring back the old icon!

• The new logos are indecently ugly, please revert to the old ones or do so kind of user validation before re-branding. The PyCharm one looks like a graphics card got garbage data to render!

• RadicalPet says:

First time ever, that I feel it necessary to comment on such an issue. Please revert! It is an utter abomination and the old one was so nice.

8. BG says:

The old icon of PyCharm please !

9. Nikos C. says:

Is it just me or is it extra-extra-extra slow with debugging and dynamic type collection ON.

10. Oleg says:

Totally agree! New icon is awful for Python IDE, mb for MS Dos editor it would be more suitable. Please bring back the old icon.

11. Alex K. says:

They are right. The new icon looks horrible and is much less charming than the old one.

12. Dmitry Filippov says:

We did our best to explain why we changed the branding: http://blog.jetbrains.com/blog/2015/12/10/the-drive-to-develop/
    We understand your confusion: the new brand looks too different. Anyway, our values didn’t change with the new branding.

• Alexis says:

No your new branding doesn’t “look to different” — it looks too ugly (like a squashed piece of garbage), especially when what you had before was cool and unique! Sorry, but gotta say it as it is.

But thanks for a great product in spite of the terrible new look :)

• Dylan says:

It’s not an icon now; it’s two letters surrounded in black text.

I certainly know which of my apps are developed by JetBrains now, since all my other apps an icon.

13. Derek says:

For anyone who wants the old icon here’s the .ico:

14. Ron Dunn says:

1. Send the work experience kid back to school, she’s not ready for the design prime time.
    2. Roll back the graphics.
    3. Spend the subscription money on something useful.

15. samu says:

New pycharm icon looks exactly like my terminal icon – i was just looking for a few minutes for my lost pycharm window… 😀

16. Devin says:

Am I the only one that likes the new look? It’s more appealing to me than the childish design that was there before, and looks better with most other programs’ icons.

17. vojslav ketman says:

I vote for old icon :-), before was easy identify ide in taskbar,now …

18. Houman says:

The new icon reminds me of mid 90s when internet just came out, it couldn’t look more generic. That PC on the black terminal made me think I installed some sort of remote control app for my dad’s PC. It looks horrendous.

19. Gaëtan de Menten says:

Let’s put things in perspective… Despite the horrible new icon (*), this is still a great release with important (to me at least) bugs fixed. Thanks a lot!

(*) Like others, it takes me more time than before to identify the new icon in the taskbar, as it is similar to both “Command Prompt” and “Jupyter QtConsole” which are both always running next to PyCharm.

20. Alexis says:

Hi,

As a program, Pycharm is great, but the new “branding” is HORRIBLE. I loved the past icon with the python snaking through the letters and forming a heart-shape. I felt happy staring up Pycharm to work because of the cool graphics. This “abstract” icon looks to me like a squashed piece of garbage. PIease bring back the original style with the snake and the letters. In the mean time I’ll hack up a solution to get the old one back.

Thanks!

21. Toby Champion says:

The new PyCharm logo is a disgusting meaningless mess. Suddenly I have “PC” (and I’m on a Mac) and a half-complete progress bar in my dock. Or so it appears. The old PyCharm logo had character, was easily identifiable, and didn’t look awful. As with others here, I’m going to grab the old icon if I can.

• Toby Champion says:

I’ve replaced the logo. Happier now. Happy to continue using this awesome product. I think JetBrains might be underestimating the emotional relationship its customers have with its awesomeness… :-)

• Inframan says:

Hear, Hear!

I’m constantly looking @ my dock and wondering what process isn’t complete.

It’s like they didn’t even think how developers would interpret this.

22. leycec says:

Czechoslovakia, you have failed us. This isn’t rebranding. This is de-branding. Nowhere is this exemplified better in the JotBrans catalogue of now-flaccid post-modernist sidewalk-compost-cum-UI-excrement than the de-branded PyCharm logo.

It is truly a thing of hideous, fist-clenched joy. The sordid details of your marketing department’s egregious ineptitudes are quite inconsequential. Very well, where do I begin?

“PC_”. Oh, yes. That’s right, black-hatted script kiddies and feeble-wristed art interns everywhere. Seemingly just for the 4chan-inspired LoLz, “PC” frackin’ underscore. The effeminate new PyCharm acronym, now synonymous with the oldest and best-established acronym in the Personal Computer (PC) lexicon… vaingloriously concatenated by random punctuation. Because. Just because. “Don’t overthink it! Just do it!”, screecheth the thoughtless upper management suite-potentate to your mute protestations. (MBAs gonna MBA.)

Then there’s the color scheme. “What color scheme?”, you may be crooning morosely to yourself whilst clutching a half-empty bottle of Everclear in the trash-ridden alleyways of Soviet-era Prague. I can only concur. White text on a black background does not a color scheme make. It’s called monochrome. Unfortunately, monochrome’s been out-of-vogue for awhile now. You know, ever since IBM’s 4-color Color Graphics Adapter (CGA) was first introduced in 1981. It’s been 24 years, guys. 24. Color exists. Use it.

Then there’s the seemingly psuedo-random-number-generated (RNG) heap of pastiche primary colors literally buried like a freshly inhumed pet corpse beneath all the glitzy acronymage and flash monochrome. I don’t even. To all appearances, JotBrans actually developed a Visual Basic (VBA)-era MS Paint “script” to agglomerate an increasingly psychotic series of colored triangulations into one unified 50-byte bitmap of priggish queasiness and mind-bending inanity. (Strictly internal, of course – can’t open-source that script, or the unwashed North American masses might catch on at how easy and effective a poorly managed de-branding campaign can truly be.)

Congratulations, JetBrians. You squandered hundreds of thousands of carefully harvested client subscriptions to decisively (…once and for all!) neuter your own formerly exemplary portfolio of corporate brands.

Gone. All gone. Every single notable icon. Every single mentionable logo. Every single actionable splash. “Rubbish!”, you squealed as you eviscerated yet another with maximal efficiency, redolent pride, and a zeal only expected from the former Easten Bloc. No competitor could have done it better. I can only salute this monumental homage to artistic defacement. Salud!

23. Li says:

The new icon’s designer must be fired!
    It’s too uglily.

24. Sean says:

This new icon is horrible. I’m not just saying that because “oh no, change!”; it’s actually horrible. The old one is very clearly Python-related. This new one however looks as if it’s some terminal emulator, and camouflages itself beside those applications on my task bar.

I read your reasoning for rebranding, and you basically just said “doing this is a pain, but all our tools will look the same”. Firstly, you could have done this without completely destroying the PyCharm feel, but secondly, I only use PyCharm, so this generic, bland branding has no benefit to me, just the pain that you admitted yourself.

Thankfully I still have the old version installed (I have yet to use the new version for long enough to make sure I don’t have to revert), so I can just hack the new icons out and replace them with the sensible ones, but I shouldn’t have to do that because of your terrible new branding. You mention rebranding is expensive – did you get some college student to do it so save some money? It certainly looks like it.

• Dmitry Filippov says:

thank you for the feedback. We’re listening carefully. This new icon isn’t final and apparently we’ll make some changes keeping in mind all the problems the current one icon has.

25. Min Pae says:

The new logos are ugly, if you’re really listening to community feedback I’d say please please change them back. The old logos were easily identifiable and simple enough that they resized well down as well as up, and they were very distinct.

26. Alexander Sad says:

I had to google this thread so I could express my opinion on new icons for jetbrains products. The new WebStorm icon and all other icons are horrible, it looks so 2003. When I look at the new webstorm icon I think of a software for printing t-shirts.
    Give us back all icons please. They were much more professional and nicely specific for each product.

27. Vladimir says:

Please return the old icon back. Please add an option to the ‘Appearance & Behavior’ change.

I understand the company wants to move forward, but it is not an excuse to ignore all your customers that have been around for years.

28. Vincent says:

You should really listen to your customers and stop to be dumb

29. Chris Cunningham says:

In my opinion the branding is a step in the wrong direction, it more or less looks like the way Adobe or Microsoft products do but with less consideration to readability.

Adobe gets away with the simple two letter design, since those letters are large and due to color cues. We all know Photoshop is blue and inDesign is purple and Flash is red etc. Microsoft does the same with its icons as well, blue, green, red, and purple for Word, Excel, PowerPoint and VisualStudio. With JetBrains there is no real clearly defined color for each product.

The 2nd problem with this is the overlay icons for project folders all look the same now. If i hit open project and look at a folder full of projects i can longer recolonize what languages projects use by there icon. I use four JetBrains products but the icon in the open project dialog is just a square with a underscore in it, regardless of if it is a PyCharm, IDEA, or WebStorm project.

My last comment would be about the feel and emotions of it all as well. They playful product names and branding made it feel like these are tools for those that love and enjoy writing code. The visual style seems to clash with the playfulness of the names now.

• Dmitry Filippov says:

Chris, your feedback sounds reasonable. Thank you.
      I think we’ll change our approach to icons to adjust the overall branding concept.

30. Phillip says:

Sorry for the vitriol in this thread. I would just like to see the option to change the icon to a custom one so we can identify it on our taskbars/docks better. Thanks.

31. Python Lover says:

The new icon makes me want to use a different programming language, just so that I never have to open PyCharm again. I would dare to even use Visual Studio Code. Bring back the old icon!

32. Peace says:

I liked the old logo but I also like the new colors. Removing the black square will make things better. Then you can try to make the polygons similar to a “PC”. A blueish “P” and a yellow “C”. There is no need to go back, just more work on the logos.

33. bbmak says:

Are there a portable version?

• Dmitry Filippov says:

Linux doesn’t have an installer. You can unpack the distribution and run bin/pycharm.sh. Windows and Mac versions have installers.

• bbmak says:

I am using Windows most of the time. Since Portable Python discontinued, I keep looking for a latest version of Pycharm. Hopefully, someone creates a portable version. So, I can write python on-the-go without installing anything on the other computers, especially I can write code during work : )

34. Jeremy Bender says:

Will it ever finish downloading? I mean the icon, because it triggers the sense PyCharm is in the middle of downloading, which I did go and check the first couple of times.

I was unable to replace the icon with the old one on the new PyCharm paid version. That works on PyCharm CE – is there something needs to be done special on OS X for PyCharm paid edition?

Thanks otherwise for a truly great editor. Please pay attention to all the nay votes here on the icon – little things sometimes matter.

35. Lucifer says:

Jetbrains please bring back the old PyCharm Icon.

36. Iivari Mokelainen says:

Horrible new icon, so much confusion.

37. khing says:

Is there any way to change back to old icon manually? I tried using Resource Hacker to change exe file but not working, it seems the ugly icon is hiding in somewhere else.

38. Kory Hubright says:

You are so interesting! I don’t believe I’ve read something like that before. So nice to find somebody with some unique thoughts on this issue. Seriously.. thank you for starting this up. This web site is one thing that’s needed on the internet, someone with a bit of originality!