PyCharm Community Edition and Professional Edition Explained: Licenses and More

Posted on by Ernst Haagsman

We often get questions about the difference between PyCharm Community Edition and PyCharm Professional Edition. We receive further questions about the difference between an individual and a commercial subscription for PyCharm Professional Edition. So let’s try to address some of these questions here:

PyCharm Community Edition

The community edition of PyCharm is Apache 2 licensed: meaning it is free and open source and you can go to GitHub, and look at the source code. You’re free to use it whenever, and wherever you like, including at work. Additionally, you can fork and modify it. See the python subfolder README.md for details about PyCharm rather than IntelliJ IDEA.

What can I use PyCharm Community Edition for?

Let’s go to the LICENSE.txt in the root of the GitHub repo. JetBrains’ open source projects are generally licensed under the Apache 2.0 License. This means that you can use it anywhere you’d like to, and modify it freely. There are some restrictions, which we’ll look into below.

Can I use PyCharm Community Edition at work?

Yes, you can. You are allowed to use PyCharm Community Edition for commercial use.

Can I use PyCharm Community Edition at my university?

Yes, you can. However, you may be interested in learning about our free all product pack licenses for educational usage.

Could I fork PyCharm?

Yes, you can. The Apache 2.0 license doesn’t just permit using this code, but also allows modification. However, before you release YourNamePyCharm, you need to be aware that that the JetBrains and PyCharm trademarks are restricted. So if you do want to fork PyCharm, you will need to take out our branding. Furthermore, in your derived version, you will need to credit us. So you could make ‘YourNameIDE’, with a notice that it’s based on software made by JetBrains.

What can’t I do with PyCharm Community Edition?

There are some restrictions that apply when you fork PyCharm. The Apache 2.0 license requires:

• You need to attribute us. So if you fork PyCharm, you’re not allowed to remove all notices that JetBrains made it
  • You need to include a full copy of the Apache 2 license
  • You need to include the NOTICES file

We’re not lawyers, so please be aware that this is not legal advice.

So why would I use PyCharm Professional Edition?

The professional edition of PyCharm gives you access to additional features that you don’t get in the community edition:

• Support for Remote Development. PyCharm Pro can deploy and debug python code running on remote machines, virtual machines, and Docker containers.
  • Web Development. Django, Flask, and other python frameworks are better supported in PyCharm Pro. Furthermore, HTML, JavaScript, and CSS are only supported in the professional edition. PyCharm Professional edition bundles all features from WebStorm, JetBrains’ JavaScript IDE.
  • Database support. PyCharm Professional takes its database support from DataGrip, the SQL IDE by JetBrains. This means you can explore your database within the IDE, and get schema-aware code completion when writing an SQL statement in Python code.

Alright, so what about Individual v Commercial subscriptions?

Many people get confused when we tell them that they are allowed to use a personal license at work. We believe though, that it’s important that developers can use the tools that are right for the job, and therefore we offer low price options to individual developers.

The difference between personal and commercial licenses isn’t about who uses the software; it is about who owns the software.

• The personal license is yours: you pay, and you own it. You can use it at work, and if you change jobs you can use it at your next job.
  • The commercial license is your employer’s: they pay, and they get to keep it if you leave. However, if you buy it and get reimbursed by your employer, you still need a commercial license: if the employer pays, it needs to be a commercial license.

Can I use my license on multiple machines?

Individual licenses: yes. Commercial licenses: yes, as long as your user name (login) is the same on all the machines that you’re running it on.

Can I still use PyCharm Professional Edition after my subscription expires?

If you’ve had a subscription for at least one year: yes. You have a perpetual fallback license for the version that was released one year before your subscription expired, and all its minor updates. See here for details.

Can I get PyCharm Professional Edition for free?

Maybe.

We also offer discounts for startups, recent graduates, and users of commercial competitor products, find out more about discounts on our website.

Do you still have a question?

If you have a specific sales question, contact our sales team to learn more about licenses, prices, discounts, etc. If you have any other question, let us know in the comments below, or reach out to us on Twitter.

Comments below can no longer be edited.

51 Responses to PyCharm Community Edition and Professional Edition Explained: Licenses and More

1. li mingming says:

September 26, 2017

Hi,

I want to know.
    What is difference between PyCharm Professional Edition and PyCharm Professional?

Regards.

• Ernst Haagsman says:

September 26, 2017

They’re the same thing. “PyCharm Professional Edition” is the full name of the product, but sometimes we’ll say “PyCharm Professional” or “PyCharm Pro” instead.

2. Bhavya Jain says:

October 11, 2017

I want to use Microsoft’s .NET frameworks in one of my python project. So is it possible to use the same in pycharm community edition? If not, could you please guide me to which platform should I switch to so that I can use the frameworks and at the same work in python?

• Paul Everitt says:

October 11, 2017

IntelliJ Ultimate is our IDE that includes all the pieces you are looking for.

3. Abdelrahman Hamoda says:

October 13, 2017

after a validation period , can I renew my licence again ? (I use my university email)

• Ernst Haagsman says:

October 16, 2017

When your license is about to expire, you can reactivate it with your university email address. You should get an email about renewal a week before your license expires.

4. Duc-Hung Le says:

November 30, 2017

how it is different with this: https://www.jetbrains.com/buy/opensource/?product=pycharm

The page says: “Projects that are sponsored by a commercial company or organization, or those with employees paid to work on the project are not eligible”

Is there difference between: PyCharm Free Open Source License vs PyCharm Community Edition?

• Ernst Haagsman says:

November 30, 2017

Excellent question! The Free open source license is a program for us to support open source contributors with free versions of our paid IDEs. So if you’re a contributor to an open source project, you can get a free version of PyCharm Professional Edition. If your project doesn’t fulfill the criteria for that license, you’re still free to use the Community Edition, you can always use PyCharm Community Edition. Let me know if you have any other questions!

5. Michael Mussato says:

January 31, 2018

Is it legal to use a company license issued to my personal company email address on my private personal computer (as long as I work at this company)?

• Ernst Haagsman says:

January 31, 2018

Excellent question! This is not a problem for us, you should ask your company to make sure it’s okay to use their license privately though.

6. Leonor says:

February 12, 2018

I have a questioon,
    how to change the mail and password of a license of PyCharm??
    help me!, please

• Ernst Haagsman says:

February 13, 2018

Please send an email to sales@jetbrains.com to change the email address on your JetBrains account.

7. Romesh says:

February 14, 2018

It seems that as a student, I can get the PyCharm Professional Edition for free.

In terms of features, what’s the difference between PyCharm Educational Edition and PyCharm Professional Edition?
    Any other factors to consider before making a choice between the Educational and Professional edition?

• Ernst Haagsman says:

February 14, 2018

PyCharm Edu is for Python beginners, and include some self-taught courses. If you already know some Python, PyCharm Professional Edition is the right tool to choose. If you start with PyCharm Edu, you should switch to PyCharm Professional Edition after you complete the courses.

8. shivika says:

March 10, 2018

I am a student, can i get PyCharm professional edition for free for 3 months? If i provide my university email address then what is the role of my university in my PyCharm use?

• shivika says:

March 10, 2018

Also can i use flask and database facility with community version?

• Ernst Haagsman says:

March 13, 2018

Both Flask and Database functionality are only available in the Professional Edition.

• Ernst Haagsman says:

March 13, 2018

You can get all JetBrains tools for free as long as you’re a student. Request a license here: https://jetbrains.com/student

We only use your university email address to verify that you’re a student. There is no further interaction between JetBrains and your university.

9. dhanashree Chavan says:

June 4, 2018

Hello,

I have pycharm professional edition installed in my mac. I want to install community edition.
    While installing community edition does it overwrite the pycharm professional edition ?

• Ernst Haagsman says:

June 10, 2018

It won’t, you’ll be able to have both versions installed side-by-side.

10. Alfred says:

August 30, 2018

I am a student and I have a student’s license, so I understand that I can’t use Pycharm Professional Edition for commercial purpose, but can I use Pycharm Community Edition for commercial purposes?

• Paul Everitt says:

September 7, 2018

Yes. It is distributed under the Apache 2 license.

11. Kam Mok says:

September 18, 2018

I installed pycharm-professional for free trial but now I want to install pycharm-community.
    Would it just overwrite it ? Or I have un-install pycharm-professional and then install pycharm-community
    and point to my existing project ?

• Ernst Haagsman says:

September 19, 2018

You can install PyCharm Community Edition and PyCharm Professional Edition side by side.

12. Frans Olofson says:

October 23, 2018

Hello JetBrains

Just to be sure. I have a personal PyCharm Professional Edition student license. I have had it since 2015. I used to work at the university. Now, I no longer there but at a commercial company.

Can I continue to use my license?

• Frans Olofson says:

October 23, 2018

…at work…

• Ernst Haagsman says:

October 24, 2018

Dear Frans,

Thanks for your question. In the FAQ on the student page, there’s a question about whether or not you can use your student license when you work part time as a student. The same answer applies here: the student license is only for educational, non-commercial usage. You should ask your employer for a PyCharm license. Alternatively, you can buy an individual PyCharm license yourself, which you could use at work. You should receive an automatic 25% graduation discount if you buy the personal license using the same JetBrains Account that you used for the student license.

Regards,
        Ernst

13. Gaurav says:

February 2, 2019

I want to use pycharm on Raspberrypi 3b for python………

14. Li says:

March 25, 2019

Hi JetBrains,
    Can I develop on the PyCharm with community edition (under Apache license), for production or commercial purpose? what is the difference between the Pro edition and the community edition?

Thanks!

15. Herbert Smith says:

March 31, 2019

What restrictions are there on the code and products I create with PyCharm community edition? Are there any restrictions on how I license and distribute a product I create?

• Paul Everitt says:

April 3, 2019

Community Edition is fine for commercial use and imposes no license/copyright on the resulting work.

16. Daniel says:

April 1, 2019

pls i want to know: can i develop applications and games with the pycharm community edition?
    Thanks!

• Paul Everitt says:

April 3, 2019

Yes. For example, PyCharm Community Edition is used with Arcade to teach introduction to computer science.

17. Hilbert Bruins Slot says:

April 5, 2019

Hi, I’m a pensioner and would like to catch up programming after 25 years (in Fortran, Pascal, Algol68) but now in a contemporary language including an IDE. Just for fun; no commercial intentions. Would I be eligible for a free of charge Pycharm license ?

• Paul Everitt says:

April 11, 2019

PyCharm Community Edition is free and open source, so go right ahead and kudos for getting into programming.

18. Parsa says:

May 6, 2019

Hello!
    I was wondering if the projects I make with PyCharm are forced to have a specific license,
    or is there anything that applies additionally to the license I select?

• Paul Everitt says:

September 30, 2019

The PyCharm license does not apply to stuff created in PyCharm.

19. Shashank says:

May 13, 2019

What is the main difference between “Pycharm Professional” and “All Products Pack”?
    As both are having different prices. Hence, I am confused which one to buy.
    I use Django and would like to perform remote editing of the code using Pycharm.
    Please suggest the difference between the two.

• Paul Everitt says:

September 30, 2019

All Products Pack gives you access to all the IDEs we make. If all you care about is Python/Web/SQL, then PyCharm Professional is what you want.

20. Stella Ahn says:

May 25, 2019

Hi, I have already installed “Community” version, and I got my school license today.
    How can I assign my license in Community, without reinstalling Professional version?

21. Sayan Naskar says:

July 21, 2019

Hii,i have pycharm community version installed in my pc if i want to download pycharm professional version,do i have to uninstall the community version?

• Paul Everitt says:

September 30, 2019

You do not have to uninstall Community. You can have both.

22. Chandra Shreyas says:

August 26, 2019

What is the difference between the professional or Community version of the pycharm

23. Nurlan says:

December 2, 2019

Hi, I would like to buy PyCharm Pro Edition right away for 3 years. Will there be any discounts?

24. Sid says:

March 31, 2020

Hi,
    I Have PyCharm Community Edition in a Raspberry Pi.
    The Terminal Window in the app does not function properly. It Says:
    Cannot open Local Terminal
    Failed to start [/bin/bash, –rcfile, /opt/pycharm-community-2019.3.4/plugins/terminal/jediterm-bash.in, -i] in *File Directory*

See your idea.log (Help | Show Log in File Manager) for the details.

Please Help.
    Thanks.

25. Thulasiram says:

May 3, 2020

Hi..
    I am planning to do a own project…
    Which pycharm Edition can i use it for free?
    1.PyCharm Community Edition
    2.PyCharm Professional Edition
    3. Any other free PyCharm Edition avail?(Please suggest)

26. Ücretsiz İndirim Kodu says:

June 19, 2020

I want more detailed information.