PyCharm 2019.1.1

PyCharm is the first JetBrains IDE to ship with the new JDK 11. This brings us improved performance and better rendering for our Jupyter Notebooks. Unfortunately, it also means that we ran into a couple of teething issues with the new JDK.

New in this Version

AltGr works correctly

As those of you who are using keymaps that require the AltGr key to type various characters have kindly let us know, this ability was broken in PyCharm 2019.1. We published a workaround as soon as we could, and have been making progress to resolving the issue. We heard that the fix we released with the release candidate of this version didn’t resolve the issue for all keyboard layouts, so we’ve revised the fix and verified it to work with all keyboard layouts mentioned in the issues on YouTrack.

Further Improvements

• Previously, Python 3.8 pre-release interpreters were detected as Python 3.7, they’re now correctly identified as Python 3.8
  • Various issues related to Conda environments have been fixed
  • Some JavaScript and Angular inspection issues were resolved

Getting the New Version

You can update PyCharm by choosing Help | Check for Updates (or PyCharm | Check for Updates on macOS) in the IDE. PyCharm will be able to patch itself to the new version, there should no longer be a need to run the full installer.

If you’re on Ubuntu 16.04 or later, or any other Linux distribution that supports snap, you should not need to upgrade manually, you’ll automatically receive the new version.

This entry was posted in Release Announcements and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to PyCharm 2019.1.1

1. Daniel says:

when I try to run Ipynb file I am getting error in pycharm “jupyter package not installed” even if is installed
    and it is workig in python console

I am on Pycharm Profession 2019.1.1

I read somewhere that is because I have jupyterlab installed too (but I dont want to uninstall it)

2. Thorsten says:

The OpenJDK 11 has a bug where the interface and fonts are ridicolously large (double the usual size for me). This happens at least on Ubuntu 18.04 with a multimonitor setup and Hi-DPI thrown into the mix. Some discussion happens here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openjdk-lts/+bug/1765914.

Workaround: export J2D_UISCALE=1

3. Lukasz says:

What happened to the fonts ubuntu? I was using Ubuntu Mono which has changed and looks way worse, at least to me. As an aside not, the font hasn’t changed on Intellij.

4. Janusz says:

AltGr is still not working on my PyCharm installation. I am using Polish Programmers (i.e. standard in Poland) keyboard layout. AltGr is used to enter Polish characters (like AltGr+a=ą). When I type AltGr+a in PyCharm’s editor pane or in ‘Python Console’ (that one on the bottom of the PyCharm window) nothing happens. But in ‘Terminal’ (also that on the bottom) AltGr+a works fine (i.e. produces ą). And of course in all other programs it works.
    I have fresh Pycharm 2019.1 installation updated today to 2019.1.1 version. System Windows 10/64bits.
    Any help would be highly appreciated!

5. Sagi says:

I’m unable to update to pycharm 2019.1.1 , getting the following error :

5:15 PM Connection Error
    Failed to prepare an update:
    Cannot download ‘https://download.jetbrains.com/python/PC-191.6183.50-191.6605.12-patch-unix.jar’: Request failed with status code 403

6. Nik says:

After upgrading to PyCharm 2019.1.1 Community Edition from PyCharm 2018.3.5 Community Edition, the jupyter notebook template disappeared from the list of available configurations, making it impossible to run iPython notebooks locally. Has this been done intentionally? To force users to turn to the commercial version? Or is this a bug?

• Sina says:

Hey Nik,

I’m having the same issue as you. Recent install of PyCharm 2019.1.1 on an Ubuntu machine and I cannot run an iPython notebook locally. I have the Jupyter library installed and, to my knowledge I’ve followed the same instructions as I used to for the previous version of PyCharm.

Were you able to fix this problem?

7. Rafael says:

Great. I’d love to see PyCharm being able to render Jupyter Widgets, so I can dump the browser.

8. Cani says:

PyCharm 2019 didn’t find the runtime after upgrading from 2018. Would have been helpful if these changes would have been mentioned in the Changelogs of the update notification. Had to reinstall PyCharm 2019 and enable “Add launchers dir to the PATH” to make it work.

9. Vaclav Dvorak says:

I use the Czech keyboard layout in Windows and after updating from PyCharm 2018.(somethingRecent), my AltGr keys stopped working. I don’t mean PyCharm shortcuts – I mean characters that I type on the standard Czech keyboard using AltGr. For example, to type square brackets, you use AltGr+F and AltGr+G and this doesn’t work.

10. cernypro says:

AltGr does not work on Czech keyboard layout.

11. Christopher says:

Love the update in place feature. Very handy compared to running the full installer. Thanks for all your hard work on this.

12. matic says:

Today I made an update to v. 2019.1.1 and AltGr is still not working.

13. Moha says:

Updateing from from 2018.3.6
    Help-> Check for updates gives download link to website.
    Downloaded file then has option to uninstall.
    Do i have to do full installation?

14. Hans says:

This warning may be of interest to jetbrains :

OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM warning: Option UseConcMarkSweepGC was deprecated in version 9.0 and will likely be removed in a future release.
    WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred
    WARNING: Illegal reflective access by com.intellij.ide.ClassUtilCore to field sun.net.www.protocol.jar.JarFileFactory.fileCache
    WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of com.intellij.ide.ClassUtilCore
    WARNING: Use –illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal reflective access operations
    WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release