RubyMine 3.2.2 bugfix update available, Lion compatible

Eugene Toporov

So, we’ve just pushed another update to RubyMine 3.2 — version 3.2.2. You can download it from our web site.

There are not so many changes, but all are quite important. Our main goal was to fix the most critical IDE performance and gems management issues. See the full list of changes.

We are sorry if you had problems with RubyMine 3.2. Thanks for you patience and we hope they are resolved now with this update.

Also we receive reports that RubyMine works fine on the fresh Mac OS X 10.7 “Lion” released yesterday by Apple. You just need to download Java runtime, which the operating system suggests and does automatically.

Develop with pleasure!
The JetBrains RubyMine Team

Comments below can no longer be edited.

40 Responses to RubyMine 3.2.2 bugfix update available, Lion compatible

1. erwann says:

July 21, 2011

Good job! I still have the “Failed to load remote gems http://gems.rubyonrails.org” error but CPU seems ok for now

2. erwann says:

July 21, 2011

Argh, scanning for gem requirements is till there

3. Scott Smith says:

July 21, 2011

The code reformatting is fixed. You guys rock!

4. Ilias says:

July 21, 2011

Scanning for gem requirements still there.
    CPU is still going 50%, 60%, 70% and fall again to 5-6%, and then again the same. Like a never ending cycle.

The only improvement is that IDE does not freeze anymore.

I also confirm the existence of the “Failed to load remote gems http://gems.rubyonrails.org” error” (3 times), with no obvious reason, when the Rails project opens.

5. Pascal says:

July 21, 2011

Why the size is less than half it was before ?

Nice! But what changed ?

Thanks

6. Ahto says:

July 21, 2011

Someone should test how rubymine works on the new MacBook Air i7. I would switch my laptop in an instant if it is fast enough 🙂

7. Dennis.Ushakov says:

July 21, 2011

@erwann, @Ilias please see https://github.com/rubygems/gemcutter/issues/319 for “Failed to load remote gems” issue. “Scanning for gems” is should only happen when editing Gemfile

8. Sergei says:

July 21, 2011

I am also observing this: When a file is open, the “eye” remains visible all the time, without ever turning Green, Amber or Red.

I addition to that, code analysis never completes so things like “Go to definition” do not work.

9. Sergei says:

July 21, 2011

Re: stuck inspections reported above: I was able to clear this out by removing RM cached data with ‘rm ~/.RubyMine32/system -rf’. After that, it was able to complete the process and now works as normal.

10. Doug Puchalski says:

July 21, 2011

Performance is worse than 3.2.1 for me. Beach balls abound, mostly when I try to open a context menu. Possibly worst in specs.

11. Matthew McEachen says:

July 21, 2011

Command-clicking on classes is broken in 3.2.2 (on Mac OS X 10.6.8).

12. Drew says:

July 22, 2011

I’m not sure RubyMine really is Lion compatible. Code inspection is not working for Ruby code and I see the following error repeated in the rubymine log:

2011-07-21 19:15:38,304 [ 24220] ERROR – aemon.impl.PassExecutorService – Failed to bind stub to AST for element class org.jetbrains.plugins.ruby.ruby.lang.psi.impl.variables.fields.RInstanceVariableImpl in /Users/drew/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.8.7-tv1_8_7_174/lib/ruby/1.8/test/unit/util/observable.rb
    File stub tree:
    RMethodStub:channels
    org.jetbrains.plugins.r …

Loaded file AST:
    Ruby file
    PsiComment(line comment)(‘#–‘)
    PsiComment(line comment)(‘#’)
    PsiComment(line comment)(‘# Author:: Nathaniel Talbott.’)
    PsiComment(line comment)(‘# Copyright:: Copyright (c) 2000-2002 Nathaniel Talbott. All rights reserved.’)
    PsiComment(line comment)(‘# License:: Ruby license.’)
    Compound statement
    Ruby:Call
    Identifier
    PsiElement(identifier)(‘require’)
    List of expressions
    Single quoted like string
    PsiElement(single quoted like string beginning)(”’)
    PsiElement(string content)(‘test/unit/util/procwrapper’)
    PsiElement(module)(‘module’)
    Name
    Ruby:Class Name
    PsiElement(constant)(‘Unit’) …

13. marc says:

July 22, 2011

the code completion is not working anymore, when I press ctrl + space it doesn’t give me any option for completing the code as it was doing before

14. Krzysztof Zalewski says:

July 22, 2011

Great bugfix :/

Code completion – not working
    Documentation lookup – not working
    Go to declaration/definition – not working

Great work guys! :/

15. Ahto says:

July 22, 2011

3.2.2 is totally unusable for me. freezes way too often. went back to 3.2.1.

16. Dennis.Ushakov says:

July 22, 2011

@Drew, @marc, @Krzysztof, @Ahto, please send me your idea.log (Help | Reveal log in …) to dennis.ushakov at jetbrains.com

17. Dennis.Ushakov says:

July 22, 2011

Does running File | Invalidate caches help?

18. Ahto says:

July 22, 2011

I think the invalidation worked. doesn’t freeze when trying to do code completion or Go to declaration/definition. Testing some more soon.

Thanks for the tip.

19. Ashley Snowdon says:

July 22, 2011

Not sure where the best place to ask this (I’ve tried tweeting @rubymine, but no reply as of yet).

How can I configure generations to automatically add to Subversion (or another VCS) so I can commit them straight away?

20. Nicholas Johnson says:

July 22, 2011

I can confirm it works on Lion. It would be great if it supported Lion full screen mode, that would rock.

21. Drew says:

July 22, 2011

Invalidating the cache completely fixed the problem, thanks guys! No more java errors and code completion / documentation lookup / Go to declaration/definition is all working again.

22. Alex says:

July 22, 2011

Netbeans user looking to switch to RubyMine following OS X Lion install. Holding off purchase until I see these issues are resolved!

23. Justin says:

July 23, 2011

Reverting back to 3.2.1 did not fix the code completion problem for me. Has anyone else figured out a way around this?

24. Christopher G says:

July 24, 2011

My license key doesn’t work anymore on 3.2.2. I bought it in December 2010, for RubyMine 3.0.

25. Falk says:

July 25, 2011

Still no recognition & syntax-highlighting of localized cucumber-features…

————————————————–
    # language: de
    # encoding: utf-8

Funktionalität: Tolle Funktionalität
    ————————————————–

*Hmpf*

26. Rafael says:

July 25, 2011

Still get this errors (3 times):

Failed to load remote gems
    /Users/rafael/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-p290/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/spec_fetcher.rb:166: stack level too deep (SystemStackError) Please check proxy settings and gem urls

27. dgt says:

July 25, 2011

same problem here: Failed to load remote gems http://gems.rubyonrails.org

28. James says:

July 25, 2011

Code completion inside SASS files does not work in 3.2.2 even after invalidating caches. Does work in 3.1.x on the same file.

29. mech says:

July 25, 2011

I also got this.. Errors (3)

Failed to load remote gem Stack level too deep

30. Tor says:

July 26, 2011

Nice that the most aggravating performance problems from 3.2 was fixed. I still get freezes but far less frequent than with 3.2.1.

31. Scott Smith says:

July 27, 2011

With the latest version, 107.466, I still get the stack level too deep (SystemStackError) error but only on Ruby 1.9.2p180. I found this out accidentally when I, for other reasons, backed my project out from Ruby 1.9.2 back to Ruby 1.8.7. Under 1.8.7, everything works fine.

Other details you might be interested in:

osx 10.6.8
    java version 1.6.0_26
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_26-b03-384-10M3425)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.1-b02-384, mixed mode)

32. CB Genrich says:

July 30, 2011

I’m getting the “stack level too deep” problem as well, and with 1.9.2p180. I found this page via Google of that message, and was hoping to read that 3.2.2 fixed it. Instead the hit shows it hasn’t been resolved.

33. Michael Morett says:

August 1, 2011

Yup. Me too. I’m getting the “stack level too deep” problem as well, and with 1.9.2p180.

34. Brian Takita says:

August 2, 2011

Congrats, looks like another stream of improvements.
    It’s freezing when I use GoTo definition, though.

35. Turadg says:

August 3, 2011

The SystemStackError is a bug in RubyGems under Ruby 1.9. It was fixed in RubyGems 1.8.6 released on 2011-07-25. To get it run:
    gem update –system

More at:

36. tim says:

August 4, 2011

Turadg, I get

gem update –system
    Updating installed gems
    Nothing to update

then the “stack level too deep” problem as well with 1.9.2p180.

37. Bruno Braga says:

August 4, 2011

The correct command to be issued is:
    gem update —system

Works as expected, notice the double hyphen.

38. Bruno Braga says:

August 4, 2011

Somehow the blog commenting system is removing the double hyphen from the gem update command…

39. ArnoNyhm says:

August 6, 2011

Yep, I confirm Bruno’s tip (tnx, Bruno!):

This is a new problem with Ruby 1.9.2 (I have 1.8.7 in parallel and when I switch forth and back with “pik” between those versions, it is only 1.9.2 causing that error message).
    I issued a “gem update –system” (with two “-” that is) and magic -it works!

40. Thea Nielsen says:

August 8, 2011

Got it working but I’m still getting a few freezing errors…