News PhpStorm

PhpStorm 6.0, the new major release of our professional PHP IDE, is now available for download!

With this release, we invite all PHP developers to redefine their productivity and adopt the best technologies available today to quickly produce neat and well-tested code.

The key features of PhpStorm 6 include:

• Composer dependency manager for PHP support
  • Code (re)arranger – control the structure of your existing and generated code
  • New refactorings: Change Signature, Pull Up/Push Down class members, and Move Class
  • Smarter namespace handling – Auto-import, Optimize Imports and more
  • Fully customisable templates, including PHPDoc
  • More code inspections, smarter code completion, and better runtime error prevention
  • New database schema editor and change tracking tools

PhpStorm 6 also provides a brand new web toolkit:

• Built-in REST Client to test RESTful web services right from the IDE
  • File Watchers – for easy Sass, LESS, SCSS, CoffeeScript, TypeScript transpilation
  • Full-featured debugging of TypeScript, Dart or CoffeeScript with source maps
  • Refined handling of JS libraries, including minified versions detection
  • Re-worked HTML structure view with support for HTML5
  • Emmet abbreviations support for faster HTML & CSS coding

And last but not least, PhpStorm 6 features a fresh IDE look and feel, Retina-ready icons, and Darcula, a new native dark UI theme for the IDE and the editor.

This version also includes an open API exposing our PHP support to 3rd party plugins. We are already seeing powerful plugins that provide sophisticated features for various popular frameworks emerging and encouraging our community to create the best experience together. Stay tuned for more information on this in the next weeks.

Read more about these and other new features on the PhpStorm website and download a 30-day trial for your platform.

Develop smarter, not harder, with PhpStorm 6!
– JetBrains PhpStorm Team

Comments below can no longer be edited.

114 Responses to PhpStorm 6.0 released: composer, code (re)arranger, new refactorings, REST Client, Darcula & more

1. Avatar

Grzegorz Godlewski says:

Yah! On my birthday! 😀

kris says:

Wow, Really, Happy Birthday 🙂 Grzegorz

Dan Farrow says:

Mine too! *high fives*

2. Avatar

Alexander says:

March 12, 2013

Is there already an plugin API documentation available?
    Which plugins do already use this new API?

March 12, 2013

Currently there is no documentation for this new API, but we are working on it. This API is available from this build onwards, so it’s not in use yet, but will be soon.

3. Avatar

Gerry says:

March 12, 2013

Do I just download and install the new version to upgrade?
    I purchased V5 in November 2012.

undsoft says:

cystbear says:

March 12, 2013

yes, just insert your reg data (username and lic key) during first launch of brand new PhpStorm6

4. Avatar

Marko says:

March 12, 2013

And how do we update? My options are “Remind me later”, “Ignore this update” and “Release notes”. Someone from devs doesn’t quite understand what update is how updating from apps works?

5. Avatar

Josh says:

March 12, 2013

^^ Good question … I get an update notice window but no actions that get me to upgrade .

6. Avatar

Aleksei says:

March 12, 2013

Thx for release, but how change toolbars font size in Darkula theme ?

March 12, 2013

There is no way to configure toolbar font size. If you experience any usability issue please report it at http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/dashboard/WI?

Alexey says:

Agree! Font size of IDE texts is too small

Alexey says:

March 13, 2013

But it can be increased in settings.

March 13, 2013

For the editor yes, it can be changed, but not for the toolabar. Overriding font size in Settings | Appearance is not recommended as it can make things messy.

7. Avatar

Ugo says:

March 12, 2013

The best just get even better?

I cannot wait to install it, the server is now a bit busy 😀
    Will get it tomorrow for sure.

Thanks!

March 12, 2013

The server seems to be in a good shape serving all the developers getting a freshly-baked PhpStorm 6.0 – please try one more time. Thanks!

8. Avatar

Rafi B. says:

March 12, 2013

Awesome! Congrats JetBrains on a new shiny PhpStorm. I’m quite excited to try the REST Client.. Hope it formats response body with JSON/XML beautifier for easy reading.. 🙂

March 12, 2013

Have you tried buttons on the left when view response in the REST Client? Small icons – “h” for HTML, “” for XML and “js” for JavaScript allows you to open it in the editor with a syntax highlighting and all the rest. Also “view in browser” is available.

9. Avatar

Brett Thomas says:

March 12, 2013

Are these features already in ItelliJ Idea?

March 12, 2013

Some of them are, some will be included to IntelliJ IDEA 12.1 (PHP is available as a plugin there)

Tobias Hoffmann says:

March 13, 2013

I can confirm that most of this stuff works with the current IDEA plugin (127.100).

10. Avatar

Василий Пупкин says:

Get around kids YEAH!

11. Avatar

Ray Schnitzel says:

March 12, 2013

Will there be any discount prices with the new release 🙂 I’m thinking of getting a second licence…

March 13, 2013

No specific release discounts are planned at this moment.

12. Avatar

SK says:

March 12, 2013

I renewed in april 2012, but: “This license is not compatible with current product version”

From the licensing page:
    “PhpStorm license is permanent and includes one year of free product upgrades since the purchase date, including even major version upgrades.”

🙁

March 12, 2013

It should work. Please try removing .WebIDE60 settings – probably it helps. If still doesn’t work please contact sales@jetbrains.com

13. Avatar

SerzN1 says:

Cccoool! Thanks, guys!

14. Avatar

Peter Lauge says:

Hi,
    Just updated to 6.

Now none of my project can access my Subversions repositories. Im getting 403 error.

Found out that PhPStorm 6 read my settings from PhpStorm 5 in a wrong way. It have change my username.

Im looking forward to work with the new version the next day 🙂

15. Avatar

Alex says:

March 13, 2013

Unfortunately, is not possible to coding with 6.0. This version is very slow and load 100% CPU when I switch on structure tab 🙁

I’m coming back to phpStorm 5.x…

p.s.: MacOS 10.8.2

16. Avatar

kris says:

I got a bug in V6.

If you use Aero theme and change to classic in Windows 7 and come back to phpstorm.

Now if you open File > properties (CTRL + ALT + G) not worked.

17. Avatar

Equan Pr. says:

March 13, 2013

Awesome! PHPStorm 6 with Darcula LF looks very great on my Linux! . Thank’s Jetbrains!

18. Avatar

Ross C says:

Hi,

Just wanted to ask if you are a user of IntelliJ ultimate with the PHP/Web plugin and MVC Framework support, will these new features propagate down when the plugins are updated?

I could not convince my company to buy an exclusive license for PHPStorm (despite 80% of my workload being development in PHP) when “IntelliJ IDEA is the same thing” which we already had licenses for.

March 13, 2013

Yes, all the features of PhpStorm are available in IntelliJ IDEA as a PHP plugin (and some other plugins). Some features are already there and some will be delivered with 12.1 update for IntelliJ IDEA.

19. Avatar

Kuqoi says:

Thanks ~
    Could you make nginx server plugin for the phpstorm?
    Now can not be used.

20. Avatar

Boris says:

March 13, 2013

I’ve just recently switched from Aptana and will purchase a license when my trial runs out in a couple weeks. Was happily using the latest 6.0 preview. Loving it actually. Makes my life a lot easier, so thanks for that.

Just downloaded the stable version and installed it. Couldn’t open any menu tabs or open files, so I tried restarting PhpStorm, but it wouldn’t load anymore. Reverted to the preview version and everything’s back to normal now. Any idea what could’ve caused this sort of thing?

21. Avatar

PepLamb says:

Awesome!!! 🙂

22. Avatar

Jason says:

March 13, 2013

This is JUST BRILLIANT. PhpStorm is without a doubt the most underrated PHP IDE in the world! It simply rocks in all regards!

23. Avatar

Arthur says:

Hi,
    It’s a great update! But i don’t like new icons style 🙁 Can I switch it back to old style? Thanks.

March 13, 2013

Hi! No, it’s not possible..

24. Avatar

WooDzu says:

March 13, 2013

Has REST Client’s support for HTTPS/SSL been added? I didn’t work in last EAP build

25. Avatar

amitayh says:

March 13, 2013

The SVN integration doesn’t work properly for me (since the EAP builds, worked fine on PhpStrom 5)
    It doesn’t detect file changes (Changes tab is stuck on “Updating…”), can’t show diffs and overall doesn’t work.

Please check this issue, I’ve downgraded to version 5 just because of that.
    (Using Windows 7 64 bit)

Thanks.

26. Avatar

Andrew says:

March 13, 2013

Should this version work if we have commercial license renewed to December 20, 2013
    As my serial tells me that it is incompatible with current version and trial just shuts down after 5 minutes.

March 13, 2013

Yes, it should. Probably there is some local error or dependency problem.. Could you please try removing .WebIDE60 settings folder – probably it helps.

27. Avatar

Gabor says:

March 13, 2013

I’ve tried to upgrade to version 6 but the new version not accpeting the licence bought on 14 Feb 2013. (ie: I enter the name and licence, but the ok button still not highlighted and cannot be clicked on)

March 13, 2013

It should work, you are eligible for this update. Probably some local error or dependency problem… Could you please try removing .WebIDE60 settings folder – probably it helps.

Gabor says:

March 15, 2013

If someone else face this problem (update from 5.x to 6.0 with existing licence), informations how to solve it:

1) go to the .WebIDE60/config dir
        2) rename phpstorm50.key to phpstorm60.key

Seems that the update process simple just copy the file from the old version but not name it corretly.

Sebastiaan van Stijn says:

March 22, 2013

@Gabor. Thank you so much, this was exactly the same in my situation (running on OS X). I was already thinking that I received a new license key after extending, but lost it. After using PhpStorm 6 EAP for the last few months I didn’t want to return to 5 🙂

To @Mikhail Vink For future improvement; please be more specific about ‘which’ . WebIDE60 to remove? I’ve been searching my computer for a hidden .webide directory (home-dir, preferences, application support). Only to discover it’s not a hidden directory, but ~/Library/Preferences/WebIde60

Sebastiaan van Stijn says:

March 22, 2013

Update: Unfortunately, both renaming the key and removing the WebIDE60 directory did not resolve my problem after all, I’ll have to contact sales..

28. Avatar

Sebastiaan Stok says:

March 13, 2013

When running optimize imports it actually reformats all my code!
    There are times when I don’t want this, the Bundle Configuration class for example.
    It would be nice to execute this separately. – Or an option to leave chained function calls untouched.

Really love this other new features!
    This is gonna save me some big time 🙂

29. Avatar

Ivan says:

March 13, 2013

Ребята, скажу вам по русски, только вы не обижайтесь. Обычно мне нравится все новое, но в этот раз получились ******** и неюзабельные иконки. Прозрачные папки – это ужас, теперь глаз не различает файлы и папки.

Да еще и не все заменены на новые. Вот ******** так делать?

30. Avatar

Alex says:

March 13, 2013

Is there a way to restore old icons?

March 13, 2013

No, there is no way to restore old icons.

Patrick says:

March 18, 2013

Maybe we should create a request to have the ability to customize those icons (and link it here for those that are interested), since I’ve grown to appreciate the old icon style as well. (This link was down for maintenance so I couldn’t create anything on my own: http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issues/WI)

31. Avatar

Gerd Christian Kunze says:

Hihihihihiiiiwahahahaaa… FINALY!!

– Code (re)arranger – control the structure of your existing and generated code
    – New refactorings: Change Signature, Pull Up/Push Down class members, and Move Class
    – Smarter namespace handling – Auto-import, Optimize Imports and more
    – Fully customisable templates, including PHPDoc
    – More code inspections, smarter code completion, and better runtime error prevention
    – New database schema editor and change tracking tools
    – File Watchers – for easy Sass, LESS, SCSS, CoffeeScript, TypeScript transpilation
    – Refined handling of JS libraries, including minified versions detection
    – Re-worked HTML structure view with support for HTML5
    – Emmet abbreviations support for faster HTML & CSS coding

The candies that I’ve been waiting for… SWEEEET!!! XD
    Thank you so much.. *sniff*.. thank you..

32. Avatar

Vlad says:

March 13, 2013

The Darcula theme is quite nice. Although my colleagues first though I was drunk when I first told them about it 🙂

33. Avatar

Brad W says:

March 13, 2013

Seems like the WebStorm releases tend to include a list of resolved issues, but PHPStorm releases tend not to.
    I’m trying to sell people on the idea of upgrading to the new version, but I need help. 8: -)

March 13, 2013

Oh, that’s quite easy – you can get a lot of information about resolved issues in our issue tracker. For example, search query in YouTrack “#Fixed or #Verified resolved date: 2012-11-01 .. 2013-03-12” lists all the fixed or verified issues from 2012-11-01 to 2013-03-12 (PhpStorm 6 development dates – from latest 5.0.4 release to 6.0 release). So please feel free to search our issue tracker.

http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issues/WI – PhpStorm

http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issues/WEB – Web-related stuff included

http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issues/IDEA – Platform issues

34. Avatar

Alexey says:

March 13, 2013

How to change very uncomfortable blue color in tab of changed file (git)?

Andriy Bazanov says:

Settings | Editor | Colors & Fonts | File Status

35. Avatar

M says:

March 13, 2013

I don’t like the dracula theme, don’t know what people like it, is to hard for my eyes

March 13, 2013

Feel free to change it to default one

M says:

March 14, 2013

I like the default theme a lot, I was just wandering about the dracula theme.

36. Avatar

Mike Graf says:

Oooo. this is sexy. Now I wanna work for you guys 🙂

37. Avatar

xelaz says:

March 13, 2013

Hey thx for best IDE for web develop and i have a question in how can i use TAB key in Command Line Tool or External Tool on windows.

I include the “git bash.exe” in my tool settings as programm and parameter i set “–login -i”. Now i can use git bash as external tool, because if i want use TAB key to commplete the commands, pathes or files it donw work.

TAB key i can use in Command2 or in the git bash direct on windows, because is it possible to use keyboard commands in Storm CommanLineTool?

March 13, 2013

In order to autocomplete commands in command line tool with TAB you need to assign XML with commands description. They are pre-defined for Composer, ZendFramework and Symfony. More information on how to create your own XML is here: http://devnet.jetbrains.com/docs/DOC-1230

xelaz says:

March 13, 2013

Thanks for your quick answer. With this XML can help me to create commands when i use the Input Field of CommandLineTool, because i whant use TAB autocompletion when i’m in the running git bash console as External Tool:
        “C:\Program Files (x86)\Git\bin\bash.exe” –login -i

If i’m in the running console i will go to my path:
        “cd /xyz/myproj” and now i call with TAB my autocompletion that complete my full path “cd /xyz/myproject” another example is when i call command “gi” with my TAB the bash write me “git”. This is self if i use Linux console over PuTTy and whant type some commands with autocomplete.

38. Avatar

Christian says:

March 13, 2013

Thanks for the new version. Is it possible to provide the “Sparta – Smarta: Develope Smarter Not Harder” image in a bigger version e.g. for a poster?

Thanks

March 13, 2013

Probably it’s possible, but depends on what for are you going to use it. Could you please email me details at Mikhail.Vink-[AT]-jetbrains.com?

Christian says:

March 15, 2013

Hi Mikhail,

i am wrote you a email about this topic.

Thanks

39. Avatar

Carsten says:

March 13, 2013

You should get an award for the most ugliest icons ever…

And beside that: Why the hell change the look and feel of something that worked well and people were familiar with? New icons means additional learning, means less productivity.

40. Avatar

Lyo says:

March 14, 2013

The Darcula (spelt ‘Dracula’ in the IDE O_o) looks a little odd at first look but I quickly fall for it. I never look at my IDE the same again.

March 14, 2013

Where is it spelt “Dracula” in the IDE? Checked – Darcula for me..

41. Avatar

gjerokrsteski says:

March 14, 2013

Thanks to all gods in the universe – there is PhpStorm!

42. Avatar

failfitting says:

March 15, 2013

Slow and buggy. PHPStorm was brilliant before … but now it becomes more and more like Zend Studio … the same pile of feature rich sh** instead of a fast and reliable IDE … so sad.

43. Avatar

Daniel Ribeiro says:

March 15, 2013

Where is the themes folder located now? I’m on OSX!

March 16, 2013

It is not changed since 5.0 version, just config folder version has been changed – ~/Library/Preferences/WebIde60/colors/

44. Avatar

Antonio says:

March 16, 2013

I just bought my license on march 4, are you really saying I won’t get this update?

March 16, 2013

If you mean 4th March 2013 than No, of course you can get this update! From this blog post – “PhpStorm 6.0 is a free update for you if you purchased your license after Mar 12, 2012.”

45. Avatar

Bolarinwa Olakunle says:

March 17, 2013

After installing and tried running it, All windows after the splash screen got hidden/minimized and couldn’t be maximized. I don’t know what is wrong here and it runs down my system memory while displaying the splash screen.

March 18, 2013

Please try to re-install.. If the problem still occurs please file an issue at http://youtrack.jetbrains.net/issues/WI with more details – can’t reproduce it so far..

46. Avatar

Yoosuf says:

March 19, 2013

Woot, it is a cool update, REST client is build in, that will never makes me move away form the IDE

47. Avatar

TwisterMc says:

March 19, 2013

Incremental expression selection is no longer Command+W on a Mac and I can’t figure out what it is now! Help please.

48. Avatar

Anatoliy says:

March 19, 2013

Is there a way to switch back to default theme after Darcula?
    Editor area switches to default theme, but the file navigator and all other toolbars are still dark.

March 19, 2013

In order to have theme settings completely applied please restart the IDE.

Anatoliy says:

March 19, 2013

It is the same even after restart – editor area is white and file navigator and the rest is dark.

March 20, 2013

Try File | Invalidate Caches

Anatoliy says:

March 20, 2013

Ah, found it.
            I was changing color scheme at IDE Settings -> Editor -> Colors & Fonts. But that only changes colors in editor area.
            To change the theme I should have changed it in IDE Settings -> Appearance -> Theme

Somehow I missed that earlier, sorry 🙂

49. Avatar

Matthew Wilkin says:

March 20, 2013

Will there be a zip file containing phpStorm 6? I use that on thumbdrive when traveling so I don’t have to physically install it.

50. Avatar

Samuel says:

March 21, 2013

I like it very much! Big impovment! Thank you!!!

51. Avatar

Alf Magne Kalleland says:

March 29, 2013

I experienced a lot of problems after upgrading from PHPStorm 5 to PHPStorm 6:

* JSTestDriver code support stopped working, and Alt+Enter to include support did not work.
    * PHP Code support stopped working. It did no longer recognize classes and methods in my projects.
    * Magic PHP Constants are reported as urecognized constants(example: __DIR__ and __FILE__)

So most of my files which the code analyzer in PHPStorm 5 showed as nice and green suddenly turned yellow and red. Don’t like it 🙂

I uninstalled it and re-installed the old PHPStorm 5.0.4 which worked very well.

52. Avatar

cyril says:

March 30, 2013

Great, i want to upgrade from PhpStorm 5 to 6, but will it keep my settings and project ?
    It seems that it will replace old PhpStorm, and I don’t want to lose my keymap & project…

April 2, 2013

Yes, it’ll replace it, but use your current settings.

53. Avatar

fox says:

April 2, 2013

Syntax Highlight for PHP Files is broken.
    Even if you assigned ONLY the php extension to *.php files , sometimes they wont be recognized as PHP Files.

Even if you choose to create a new PHP File, they are handled as pure txt files.

In PHPStorm 5 this is working perfectly !

April 3, 2013

That’s quite a strange behaviour.. Could you please try to invalidate caches or re-install PhpStorm? If doesn’t help please file a bug at http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issues/WI with more details. Thank you!

54. Avatar

gaurish says:

April 3, 2013

hi,
    phpstorm 6.0 is very slow … it hangs my windows7…

first time it shows the phpstorm logo.. & keeps it as on.. I have to close it.. start it again.. it takes all the cpu memory..

thanks,