WebStorm 11 Roadmap Discussion

Since WebStorm 10 came out (is it 10 already? boy, we’re moving fast with version numbers!), we’ve spent the last 2 months working on fixes and various minor improvements. Last week the team got together to discuss our plans for WebStorm 11, and we’d like to share them with you. We’d be happy to know what you think, too.

Please note it’s a preliminary plan, so we can’t guarantee that all of the features listed below will be ready for WebStorm 11.

So here are the highlights:

Yeoman integration
Yes, it’s something we’ve been thinking about for a while. We’d like to integrate Yeoman with the IDE Welcome screen to make it easier to create new projects.

Take npm integration to the next level
npm integration has been available in WebStorm for some time already—you can install and manage modules from the IDE. However, we understand that there’s a lot of room for improvement. We’d like to add support for npm scripts similar to what we now have for Gulp and Grunt. The next thing is to support various scenarios of managing project Node.js dependencies like adding new, updating and removing modules—so it all works seamlessly and you don’t have to use the command line.

Webpack support
Webpack has been seeing a lot of adoption in the community, and we even have some Webpack enthusiasts on the JetBrains YouTrack team. We’d like to support the Webpack-specific require statements and debug.

Deeper integration with build tools
We would like to build plugins for Webpack and Gulp that would allow you to enjoy the benefits of the build tool’s watch mode without interference from the IDE autosave feature. We want to make sure that build process is triggered when you really want it to (with a shortcut), but doesn’t get triggered by file system events, while WebStorm takes care of your files being saved.

Angular support
As we start working on Angular 2 support, we hope to be able to finish the core features by the release of v11. At the same time we’re planning to continue improving Angular 1.x support in WebStorm.

We’re also going to have lots of JavaScript, TypeScript and Node.js support improvements, as well as new features from the core IntelliJ Platform, and much more. Lot’s of improvements are planned for the Dart support (thanks to the Dart team). Of course, performance is still our top priority, so if you feel that the IDE is laggy, please take some CPU snapshots and send them our way. We would really appreciate that.

The next release will traditionally happen somewhere around October, with the Early Access Program opening up in midsummer. Don’t miss it—subscribe to the EAP channel by going to IDE Preferences | Appearance & Behavior | System Settings | Updates.

That’s the plan, anyway. Do give us your feedback here and in our issue tracker!

Stay tuned!

Develop with pleasure!
– JetBrains WebStorm Team

About Ekaterina Prigara

Ekaterina Prigara is WebStorm product marketing manager at JetBrains. She's passionate about new technologies, UX and coffee.
This entry was posted in Early Access Preview, General Announcements. Bookmark the permalink.

135 Responses to WebStorm 11 Roadmap Discussion

1. Justin Lowery says:

Please work on the strange ‘edit undo’ and ‘find and replace’ bug that tends to trash code after many iterations and has existed for a long, long time. Especially the ‘find and replace’ as it’s caused havoc with a project of mine. It’s when you, say, do search for something like ‘queryDbForFile’ and replace it with ‘queryServiceForFile’, and you end up with a bunch of ‘queryDbqueryServiceForFile’.

• Dennis Ushakov says:

Some issues with undo have been fixed recently, we’ll continue looking at the problem. Any steps to reproduce ‘Find and Replace’ issue?

• Sergey M says:

1. Open a really big project
        2. Open Chrome with 20+ tabs
        3. Make many changes in a file
        4. Go deep Ctrl+Z in the history
        5. Hold Ctrl+Shift+Z for undo
        6. Repeat 4 and 5

Expected: same code as was at step 4

Actual: some pieces of inserted code places misplaced

2. moniuch says:

I would gladly welcome an Excel-like editor for JSON for easier editing (esp. when columns are concerned)

3. Stanislav says:

Very promising roadmap.
    Way to go!
    Looking forward to full Webpack support.

4. Paul Klimashkin says:

The main point I think would be fully support of ES6 and ES7 (Stage 1 and upper).
    Very big part of JS community already using it with babel, and expect good support of it in webstorm.

5. Matt says:

Flow static analysis of JS is a must. This is a big miss at the moment..

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

We’re considering adding Flow support, but one step at a time. Not 100% sure we’ll offer full support in WebStorm 11.

• salas says:

Their is many step in flow improvement :
        – support annotated javascript
        – support flow as external debugger tools
        – improve jetbrains completions with the help of flow annotations

One step at a time would mean the 3) is going to take a long long time but first 2) shoul’dnt be hard to do ?

6. Maurizio says:

A better Polymer support would be nice.

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

Yeah, Polymer 1.0 release brought quick significant syntax changes. We hope to have basic support in WebStorm 10.0.4 (see related issue).

7. Sergey says:

Having integration with facebook flow (comment style) would be awesome! Also I’m very much interested in various code example articles which demonstrates how intellisense is working in WebStorm for javascript. Knowing how it is working, which rules are applied and in which order, would give me more advanced knowledge about my favorite tool.

Thank you!

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

We’re considering adding Flow support, but one step at a time. Not 100% sure we’ll offer full support by the version 11 release.

Good idea about the articles. I’ll ask my colleagues for help and we’ll come up with something :)

8. earl says:

How about aurelia support?

9. Nigel says:

What’s the situation with Ember/Ember-CLI support?

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

Sorry, but no plans for that yet. Please follow WEB-14919.

• Mark Lummus says:

You continue to support Angular, yet you provide no support for Ember.

I am now actively looking for alternatives to WebStorm.

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

The fair reason behind that is that AngularJS is more widely used that Ember. Sorry that we can provide you any Ember support in the nearest future.

• Colin says:

I agree (have already found another editor), I have found that Atom editor has cli support via a nice plugin. If webstorm knew what was up, they’d realize that Ember is here to stay.

10. Razunter says:

PostCSS support? Not sure if it’s a good idea, but maybe?

11. Sergey says:

Fix for https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/IDEA-137116 (Cyclic expand word is not cycling) would be very much appreciated as I tend to use this feature every day and unfortunately it only searches in one direction.

12. Sergey says:

Support for asynchronous call stacks in webstorm javascript debugger sounds like a great thing to work on. https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/WEB-13024

13. Great to see that WebStorm is moving forward and evolving at a rapid pace. Glad to see Webpack is receiving some attention! Looking forward to it. Keep up the good work.

14. bryce says:

How about an easier way to take CPU snapshots? I think it would help performance reporting if it were a bit easier to capture snapshots.

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

The problem is that adding a CPU profiling by default can actually cause some performance issues, but we’ll see what we can do. Thanks for a suggestion!

15. Hey guys/gals,

First of all you are all doing GREAT.

I would say the idea of YEOMAN integration ( project level ) is astonishing.

What I would also suggest is to incorporate some easily extendable logic to the templates system inside WebStorm, e.g. I want to also create a new file based on Yeoman template or other. I think Velocity templates are way too much non-configurable ( e.g. I can’t have boolean values inisde ).

Also give a shot to easily customizable Themes. This dropdown that I have with Dracula and Default is kind-a not what I expect in long term plan. You can do much more, like totally separating the themes and allow users to create themes on their own as plugins ( let’s say ). I would love to play around and create a solarized light theme.

Anyway what we have so far is awesome. I would be happy to renew my license as soon as it expires.

16. devman says:

how about jspm support? it is becoming the defacto for client side libraries management

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

Would be great if you can submit a feature request so that other users can vote for it.
      Are you using jspm yourself? We’ve recently seen quite a lot of articles encouraging everyone use npm for clien- and server-side dependencies.

• devman says:

yeah i am using jspm, and for client side it is much better than npm, jspm advocates for flat folder structure and integrates with system.js which makes the whole experience top notch!!

jspm just pulls the required code unlike npm which pulls zillions of files.

also Frameworks like Aurelia ( which i a and many others are using now) is built on top of that.

seriously there is no reason not to support jspm, it is a must!!!

thanks in advanced.

• chcokr says:

I’m sure jspm is great, but please don’t overhype it by calling it the “de facto.” A lot of front-end folks have never even heard of it.

17. Nikita says:

Why you don’t want concentrate on better js support? Right now it’s horrible. Also if code doesn’t have any js runtime magic, it’s still supports very bad.
    Where is ES6 support? There is no autocomplete for imports. Your engine guess that js code global inside whole project – but it’s not modern js.

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

Really sorry that you find WebStorm JavaScript support so horrible.
      There’s runtime “magic”, if you use spy-js, you can read about it here.
      There is autocompletion for ES6 import statements and it’s quite advanced in our opinion. Sorry again that WebStorm doesn’t meet you high expectations.

• Sergey says:

I think that autocompletion is not bad at all. In fact it is probably the best :) Only recently I discovered how exactly I should write jsdoc comments to give hints to WS for full autocompletion (and I dare to say that WS10 is handling autocompletion way better than WS9).

So, we just need to wait for a good article which explains how WS is building autocompletions internally (http://blog.jetbrains.com/webstorm/2015/06/webstorm-11-roadmap-discussion/#comment-222568)

When it is not possible to add jsdoc comments – spy-js helps, like you said (spy-js is awesome, thanks to Artem). It has a feature to generate sourcemaps, which allows us to debug in browser. But if I want to have spy-js autocompletion and debug in WS at the same time, it is not possible. Ticket is here – https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/WEB-15828, I’ll really appreciate if someone can help with this one.

• David Leppik says:

I’m guessing that Nikita isn’t quite aware of just how hard it is to do static analysis of a late-binding language– especially when it supports users who still need to develop for IE 8, and when the language provides no hints about what scripts might be imported at runtime. Personally, my jaw dropped the first time WebStorm 10 correctly inferred one of my ad hoc types.

That said, static analysis could be a lot smarter if there were project preferences for ES language levels and library support (e.g. tell it you don’t use Angular.) And there’s plenty of room for WebStorm to be smarter about guessing which of the auto-complete options is most likely to be used– especially for TypeScript.

18. Martin says:

Everything sounds cool to me but especially the Webpack features is what I’m looking forward to.

A few wishes:
    1: When developing node.js applications I really miss better autocomplete support from the modules I import by require( ‘some_module’); and import * from ‘some_module’;
    I have tried out a lot of configurations and read a lot of posts about optimizing it but it’s simply not nearly as good as what I get when writing i.e. PHP.

2: When debugging my node application it would be cool if I, in the debug configuration, could define a shell command (or a script defined in my package.js) that I want to run before the debug session starts.
    As I write ES6 and use babel to transpile and Webpack to pack I miss that the changes I make in my code during a debug session is reflected in the browser as the browser is waiting for changes in the code build by webpack.
    Of course I can run a watcher outside of Intellij that does the job but it would be cool if I could hit Run in Intellij and everything runs…

Hi Martin,

Thanks for you feedback.
      1. We’re constantly working on improving our code completion suggestions, however, unfortunately, it would be impossible to reach the accuracy of the statically typed languages. But of course, the use of JSDoc can help a lot.
      2. Actually you can configure any command line tool as an External tool (Preferences – Tools – External tools) in the IDE and then add it as a Before debug task.
      Similarly to that, you can add as a Before debug task another configuration, e.g. Grunt or Gulp task.
      Would also like to mention, that we hope to address this problem from a bit different perspective trying to have a better integration with the build tools.

19. bryce says:

How about messageformat support for angular? This is new as of angular 1.4. Currently webstorm’s syntax parser gets quite upset and colors everything red.

https://docs.angularjs.org/guide/i18n scroll down for the docs

20. Dan says:

What about using http://devdocs.io/ to have an api documentation in WebStorm !

21. Jona says:

I love some of the features of the JetBrains products, but I can’t get used to that laggy dated java experience. Your products have so much potential, but please break away from java.

It doesn’t really matter if I run it under Windows, OSX or Ubuntu, it is still not a nice experience. Menus are laggy, tooltips sometimes don’t go away, everything has this Windows 2000 classic look.

Microsoft is going the right way with Visual Studio Code. It is time for you guys to modernize too.

Please bring all of your knowledge to new products that have the appeal of Sublime Text with the smarts of Visual Studio Ultimate topped with shiney JetBrains power options.

22. Volker Buzek says:

Hi, many good suggestions in the roadmap and in the comments.
    I’d like to add support of the SAP-/Open-UI5-framework to the list – many in the SAP world already use WebStorm as a working substitute for Eclipse.

23. John says:

Require.js (AMD) support!
    to be able to find usage and go to definition via define() and require() statements would be very helpful.

24. Calle says:

Being able to use async/await from ES7 would be great. We use Babel.js, but are currently forced to skip using async/await since WebStorm doesn’t support it.

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

Async/await syntax is supported in WebStorm 10. You just need to change JavaScript version in Preferences | Languages & Frameworks | JavaScript to ECMAScript 6.
      Here’s a related fixed issue.

• Kevin Barabash says:

I’m running 10.0.4 (build 141.1550) and I have language version set to ECMAScript 6, but I’m still getting syntax errors. The errors say “Async/await are not included in ES6 proposal”. Is there any way to re-open the issue you linked to?

• Kevin Barabash says:

I just tried switching to “JSX Harmony” and that made the errors go away which is good. Syntax highlighting doesn’t highlight them as keywords which is a little weird, but not a big deal.

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

The warning that you see it totally reasonable – async/await are not part of ES6 proposal, that’s a ES7 draft and WebStorm warns you about that. You can disable the inspection in Preferences | Editor | Inspections | Validate ES6. There’s no need to reopen the issue.

25. Mootaz Dinana says:

What about SailsJS support?

26. Bart says:

What about incorporating Wallaby (http://wallabyjs.com) like functionality. Realtime testing and code coverage information.

Would be nice.

27. Vasyl says:

I’d vote for “deeper NPM scripts integration” and Webpack.

28. Brent says:

I’m sure someones mentioned this but Brunch support would be nice but I could not find an feature request for this. WebStorm autosave issues with Gulp were mentioned.

29. Blowes says:

I personally think Yeoman is a dying project, and the scaffolds are not well maintained.

What I would like to see in version 11 is some improvements which, in some cases have already been made on other IntelliJ IDEs;

To name a few
    – Region support for HTML files
    – Region support for the “structure” panel
    – Updates to npm packages from the WebStorm window should have the option to update package.json (!important)

30. Polymer and webcomponents support, in I/O the V1 was take off

31. Kiffin Gish says:

You should seriously reconsider supporting ember.js in an upcoming version as this JavaScript framework is becoming very popular and could even pass angular.js by in the not so distant future.

32. Remote SSH, PLEASE add this to Webstorm. It is in IntelliJ and PHPStorm. I NEED this.

33. Sam Gronblom says:

Can you please please please fix the go to definition when using destructuring? https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/WEB-14455 Although I’m using ES6 with babel instead of CoffeeScript.

34. Would love to see an improvement in using lower memory in laptops running on battery only. Even when I use 32bits, WebStorm uses an average of 450MB which still is a battery drain. Most other light-weight editors runs about 60MB on battery mode. Maybe you can turn off unneeded plugins, background processes, etc. I really love WebStorm, but in battery-only mode, I have to use a smaller editor like TextMate.

Thanks, and waiting for the EAP.

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

You can enable Power save mode that disables all inspections and lower CPU usage – click on the little man icon in the bottom right corner of the IDE.

35. I feel like having better support for iojs and debugging would be awesome. Currently, when I debug iojs apps, there are some weird behaviors when I run tests in debug mode, and debug node applications. The application hits breakpoints when I open the IDE for the first time, but each subsequent debugging session fails to stop on the breakpoints.

36. Brett Fattori says:

Is there any plans to support NativeScript in WebStorm?

37. Umed says:

Hope you’ll improve typescript support and its refactoring capabilities (that’s why people are choosing typescript over javascript – because of maintenance and refactoring features). Also good to see shorter release cycles, since web is growing too fast and you have to stay in trend. Also latest versions of webstorm are very resource consumpting. Hope you’ll improve this as well

38. teslan says:

I am new to this web development stuff, so please forgive me for asking what is it that you and/or others have messed up when you are yourself stating that you are still working on Angular 1.x improvements. Since it’s just JavaScript, are you not able to support all of the frameworks across the board and not just framework by framework. Looking at your list for 11, you seem to be gasping for features to add and yet such bread and butter capabilities remain in stone ages. Aurelia has a huge ASP.NET following and considering how you are taking votes and waiting for Visual Studio crowd to tell you that they need to switch to WebStorm, all of us will be waiting for a long, long time – UNFORTUNATELY.

39. David Leppik says:

A lot of these comments (my own included) seem to be “add some feature that WebStorm already has, but I never discovered.” Clearly feature discovery is an issue!

How about a Project Audit tool, which occasionally (every 6-12 months?) pops up and offers to walk you through the project settings that might need tweaking. For example, do you still need to support IE 8? Do you now support ES6? Are you ready for a WebStorm hints video/webinar? Or perhaps rather than a new tool, this could be accomplished by extending the Tip of the Day with more options (“open this for me”, “tell me this again in a week.”)

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

Thanks for your feedback, David. There’s certainly a lot that we can do to help users use WebStorm. We’ll try our best.

40. Kamen Minkov says:

Can we expect the fix for https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/IDEA-139647 to be included in the next few releases? It is claimed to be fixed, but there isn’t a specific version noted.

When can WebStorm 11 EAP be expected?

41. Mike Cheel says:

Any details on the additional Typescript support?

42. Maciej Hanajczyk says:

I think WebStorm is the best IDE for Web today in terms of functionality…it just falls behind competitions in one very very important aspect -> UI.
    We must confess that while it is a full blown leader in top notch features, he is definitely not a leader in Look and Feel among other IDEs on the market.
    Please, please hire some designers or make a contest on the web with some kind of award for making WebStorm the prettiest and sexiest IDE out there.
    Then nobody will ever want to see any other IDE for web development of any kind.

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

Thanks for your feedback, Maciej!
      Be sure that we have UI specialists in our team and we’re working really hard on that, but it’s not an easy task for the platform with 15 years of history, thousands dialogs and popups all written in Java. You might notice our recents changes on the IDE Welcome screen or editor right gutter. We’re approaching that step-by-step. Thanks for using WebStorm.

43. Nikolay says:

Is there any chance for TypeScript JSX support in WebStorm 11? Today I can compile the project with nightly build of TypeScript 1.6. But I can’t find any IDE with support of JSX syntax in TypeScript.

44. Blowes says:

Please prevent distraction free mode from closing all the other tabs.
    Also if distraction free mode still had the code collapsing +/- buttons near the line numbers that would be great.

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

The whole idea behind the distraction free mode is that you are editing only one file at a time, not getting distracted with any other tool windows or tabs. We encourage you to use more shortcuts when in the distraction free mode. For example, try cmd(ctrl)-arrow up to see the navigation bar and go to other project files, cmd(ctrl)-E to see recently edited files, shift-shift to search for files, variables and functions. Use cmd(ctrl)- or to collapse the code.
      Here’s a recording of our recent webinar on productivity in WebStorm: http://blog.jetbrains.com/webstorm/2015/07/webinar-recording-webstorm-things-you-probably-didnt-know/

45. Timur says:

A better React & JSX and ES6 support please!

46. matt says:

Hi, is there going to be support for node 4?

47. Stephen says:

I own several other Jetbrains products, so I as I was transitioning to web development, I thought I would buy WebStorm.

But, alas, it does not support Aurelia. So I will look elsewhere.

But I like Jetbrains enough that I thought I would post something. Just in case someone is counting possible missed customers…

48. Theo says:

OS: Windows Pro 10
    Webstorm: ver 11.0.1

1. Tools – File Watcher: Babal
    2. Language & Frameworks – JavaScript – JavaScript language version: ECMAScript 6
    3. Language & Frameworks – TypeScript: Enable TypeScript Compiler (checked): Use tsconfig.json (checked)

Project structure:
    – bin
    – node_modules – angular2
    – src
    – package.json

So webstorm is throwing duplicate identifier error messages for both:
    1. Program Files (x86) – JetBrains – WebStorm 11.0.1 – plugins – JavaScriptLanguage – typescriptCompiler – external – lib.es6.d.ts

2. Project – node_modules – angular2 – typings – es6-shim – es6-shim.d.ts

How do I resolve this issue?

Many thanks in advance

• Andrey Starovoyt says:

Seems you specify ‘es6’ target for typescript. Unfortunately angular2+typescript cannot be used with ‘es6’ target because it includes some part of ‘lib.es6.ts’ as dependences (es6-shim).

49. Theo says: