WebStorm 11 released: better TypeScript support, Flow, Angular 2, and more

We are very excited to announce today the release of WebStorm 11! This major update is aligned with updates for other JetBrains products that comprise JetBrains Toolbox.

Download and install WebStorm 11 right now!

WebStorm 11 refines your web development experience by adding support for powerful cutting-edge technologies and thoroughly improving the core functionality of the IDE. New features in WebStorm 11 include:

• Improved TypeScript support: WebStorm 11 now fully supports the latest TypeScript 1.6 features and brings coding assistance for JSX and ES2015 features to TypeScript code. WebStorm also adds integration with TSLint
  • Flow and React support improvements: We’ve added basic support for Flow type annotations, and improved code completion and navigation for React components.
  • Initial support for Angular 2: WebStorm 11 provides code completion for Angular 2 binding, components and new event attributes in TypeScript and ECMAScript 2015
  • npm scripts: A new tool window lists all tasks in package.json and allows you to run any of them with a simple double-click.
  • Yeoman integration: Hundreds of new project generators are available right from the IDE Welcome screen, thanks to the new integration with Yeoman.

Among other notable updates are improved support for ECMAScript 2015, the option to run a single Mocha test, a new Preview mode for Find in path, support for debugging projects built with Webpack, new Node.js configuration and inspections, improved Dart support powered by the Dart Analysis Server, and much more.

For a more detailed overview please visit What’s new in WebStorm 11, and download the IDE for your OS.

About Ekaterina Prigara

Ekaterina Prigara is WebStorm product marketing manager at JetBrains. She's passionate about new technologies, UX and coffee.
This entry was posted in Release Announcements and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to WebStorm 11 released: better TypeScript support, Flow, Angular 2, and more

1. m_gol says:

WebStorm 10 is missing from the “Previous WebStorm releases” list at https://confluence.jetbrains.com/display/WI/Previous+WebStorm+Releases.

2. Herby Vojčík says:

The file that is downloaded for Windows has ‘-EAP-‘ in its name.

3. Robert mason says:

YOU ADDED COLOR SUPPORT TO THE TERMINAL!! Woo hoo!!

4. Sergey says:

Congratulations! Thanks for hard work.

5. Andreas says:

Is there also a download without the Java bundled inside?

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

That’s a non default option now. May I ask why you would like to use that?

• Andreas says:

I have a MacBook Pro 13′ and a 24′ monitor with Full HD as main display. The font rendering on the main display is really bad when the Java is bundled. But it looks a lot better when using the Apple Java version (“1.6.0_65”). Had the same problems with the previous Webstorm version. But then i could use the version without the bundled Java. I don’t know if it’a a Java or an Apple Problem.

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

Here’s a link.
          We actually planning to make it possible to change the boot JDK right in the IDE, hope that will be available in the upcoming big-fix update.
          Can you please also try various antialiasing options available in Preferences | Appearance and Behaviour | Appearance with the bundled JDK. May be greyscale would work better for you monitor.

6. ido says:

does this handle the multiple crashes when using El-capitan?

7. OZ says:

Angular 2 (initial) support – is it core WebStorm functional or it’s in AngularJS plugin? (to know if IDEA 15 has it too).

8. Darren Hill says:

Trying to create a ‘New Project’ using Yeoman … specifically generator-angular-material-fullstack … no go. Too bad, was pumped about this feature. Maybe Webstorm 12

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

Sorry to hear that, but what went wrong? Installed generator and generated a project quite smoothly with it right now…

9. Michael says:

Hey. Started using WS11 and loving it so far.

I got an error when using a typescript feature though.

function greet(name: string = 'foo', action:any) {
    }
    // A required parameter cannot follow an optional parameter.

The current TypeScript compiler v1.6.2 does not complain about this.
    Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong here?

10. David says:

now is using more resources?? it promp me with warning that needed more space (750 by default), i set it to 1200, and steel it stucks. I didnt have such a problem on 10 or the 11 EAP

11. Dirk-Jan says:

Starting a new project Flowtyping seems to be fine, however if I open a old project where we used Flow I am still gettings errors on the ? and annotations.

Already tried removing my .idea folder and restarting webstorm. Any other place I should remove some files or something? Or maybe I am missing some settings (I did set the language to flow in the settings under javascript).

• Konstantin Ulitin says:

Please try calling File / Invalidate Caches and restart.

• Dirk-Jan says:

Nevermind seems like .jsx file’s ain’t recognized by Flow while .js files are, Simply added a rule to the Editor > File Types to allow .jsx files to be recognized as .js files.
      Thnx for the Flow support!

12. Paul Allain says:

Why am I getting all these red squiggles in my typescript (ts) pages? Especially in the import statements?

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

Please hover on the squiggle and see what the error is. That might be a warning from enabled TypeScript compiler or WebStorm inspection. You can try to alt-enter on the error, then hit arrow right and select Disable inspection if you don’t want to see it.

13. George says:

Webstorm 11 is a huge disappointment with Dart 1.13.
    System becomes unresponsive as analyzer gets all the memory and continues digging.
    Indexing is digging continuously and webstorm becomes absolutely unusable. Much much slower than previous releases even on a computer with 6Gigs of RAM. That’s a big shame on Webstorm.

• Alexander Doroshko says:

Dart code insight features are now powered by the Dart Analysis Server from the Dart SDK. Unfortunately Dart SDK 1.13 has some problems with it. To make sure that your problem is addressed please create an issue (https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issues/WEB) and attach your idea.log files (Help | Show log). We’ll contact Google Dart team to make sure they include required fix in the SDK 1.13.1 update release.

14. Lee Benson says:

Thanks for introducing Flow support – this is a great start.

Would love to see a flow “watcher” that checks in with the flow server after save – like you have with the TypeScript Compiler window.

15. Aico says:

I see Angular 2 tags are supported, for example “*ngClass”, but we should use “[ngClass]” right?? When I’m adding these to my custom HTML tags, why does the capital C gets removed, it gets stored as “[ngclass]”, which of course doesn’t work. I tried to edit these tags in the Preferences, but the capital C just gets transformed into a smaller c..

Am I doing something wrong?? Just started my 30-day trial, and I love the editor by the way!! Hope these correct Angular tags gets supported very soon!

16. Mallowigi says:

How do I use the angular2 completion? I just started following the angular2 tutorial but Webstorm doesn’t give me any help.

Do I need to enable a specific setting? I tried to download the angular2 library in “Javascript > Frameworks” but still no completion available.

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

There’re some features that already work in WebStorm 11.0.3 like automatic imports for symbols in TypeScript, coding assistance for angular-specific attributes, etc (make sure you have Angular 2 library files somewhere in your project). But some features like coding assistance for components in HTML have broken because of the recents changes introduced in Angular 2 beta. That will be addressed in the upcoming WebStorm 12 EAP, stay tuned.

17. Chris says:

Is the WebStorm 11/12 Angular 2 support also available in IntelliJ 15?