Getting Started with Electron in WebStorm

Posted on by Ekaterina Prigara

Electron allows you to build cross platform applications using only JavaScript, HTML and CSS (or ECMAScript 6, TypeScript, CoffeeScript or any language that compiles to JavaScript). It provides lots of native OS APIs for things like OS notifications or automatic updates.

There are several well-known apps that use Electron, for example Slack and Atom, as well as a great number of open-source apps built on Electron that you can learn from.

Let’s have a look at how you can set up your workflow with the Electron app in WebStorm: how to enable the coding assistance and how to run and debug Electron application.

Configuring code completion

The coding assistance for the Electron APIs is provided via the electron.d.ts TypeScript definition file. Starting with Electron v1.6.9 this file is included in the electron node module.

If you have electron listed as a project dependency, WebStorm can automatically locate this file in the node_modules folder.

electron-doc

But if electron is installed as a global dependency, to get the proper code completion you need to add electron.d.ts as a JavaScript library. For that go to Preferences | Languages and Frameworks | JavaScript | Libraries, click Add… and specify the path to this file located in the global node_modules/electron folder. You can also download the file manually from the GitHub and link to it.

To get code completion for Node.js APIs, go to Preferences | Languages and Frameworks | Node.js and npm and click ‘Enable coding assistance’.

Running and debugging Electron app

In Electron, there are 2 types of processes: the main process, which manages the web pages of your application and handles system events, and the render process, which is related to every individual page of the app and hosts most of the application logic.

Running and debugging the main process

If you want to see what happens on application start, you need to debug the main process.

Updated on November, 26th 2018: Create a new Node.js run/debug configuration, specify the path to the Electron executable in the Node.js interpreter field and add . as a Node.js option (because we need to run electron . to start the app).

electron-main-process-debug-configuration

Save the configuration, put the breakpoints and press Debug. Or, press Run to simply start the app.

Electron executable is what you use to start your Electron app from the command line.
If you have installed Electron (the electron-prebuilt package) locally, it should be located in your project node_modules under .bin folder. On OS X and Linux that should be electron, while on Windows it’s electron.cmd. You can also specify the path to the globally installed Electron.

Debugging packaged apps

You can also debug packaged Electron apps – just make sure you specify the path to Electron inside the built app in the Node.js run/debug configuration. For example, for a built OS X app, that would be your_app.app/Contents/MacOS/your_app; for a built Windows app it’s your_app-win32-x64/your_app.exe.

Debugging the render process

With Electron < 1.6 or > 2,  start the app with an additional option --remote-debugging-port=9222 (select any port you like).

You can either add this option in the Application parameters field in the previously created Node.js configuration for the main process and use it to start the app, or run the app from the command line with this option.

debug-render-process-main-configuration

With Electron 1.6-2, you need to add app.commandLine.appendSwitch('remote-debugging-port', '9222') to the app’s main.js file and then start your app.

Then create a new debug configuration of the Attach to Node.js/Chrome type (in WebStorm 2017.2 or earlier it’s called Chromuim Remote) and specify the port number – 9222 (or a different port you’ve used).

electron-1-6-render

Once the app is running, start this new configuration to attach to the render process.

If you want to debug both render and main processes at the same time, start both configurations in debug mode.

Debugging TypeScript Electron apps

If you’re writing your app in TypeScript (or actually any language that you then compile to JavaScript) and want to debug it, make sure that the compiler generates source maps. For example, for TypeScript, add "inlineSources": true, "sourceMap": true in the project tsconfig.json file.

Debugging apps with Webpack

Please don’t forget to add devtool: 'source-map' option to your webpack.config.js file, when you want to debug Electron apps built using Webpack.

– JetBrains WebStorm Team

Comments below can no longer be edited.

120 Responses to Getting Started with Electron in WebStorm

1. Bob Cochran says:

May 21, 2016

Thank you for providing this. I have been playing with Electron recently and wondered how to import and test an Electron project in Webstorm.

2. Cameron says:

May 31, 2016

How do you debug the main and renderer at the same time, like you mentioned?

June 1, 2016

You just start the debug session for the main process and the debug session for the render process.

• jdawg says:

November 17, 2016

Can you elaborate please with an example?

November 17, 2016

Please do the steps described in the blog post in sections ‘Running and debugging the main process’ and `Debugging the render process`. Start the first configuration and then start the second configuration (do no stop the first one). That’s it.

3. David Cotter says:

June 2, 2016

Once small typo: the “dash dash” has been replaced by one “long dash”: see below. This stops debugging working

To debug the render process of the app in WebStorm, first start the app with an additional option –remote-debugging-port=9222
    should be
    –remote-debugging-port=9222

• David Cotter says:

June 2, 2016

Same thing happening in my comment but not that you need “dash dash” not “long dash” before remote-debugging-port – thanks

June 2, 2016

Thank you, fixed!

4. Sascha says:

June 13, 2016

How does this work in Intellij 16: When clicking on Add… there is no way to download anything. What am I missing?

June 13, 2016

Sorry, my bad, it’s the Download… button. Fixed in the post.

• Sascha says:

June 15, 2016

Hi Ekaterina

Thanks. Interestingly, I do not see a github-electron entry in the downloads list. What am I doing wrong?

June 15, 2016

Hmm, that’s quite weird. It should look like this:

• Sascha says:

June 15, 2016

Thanks. It works now.

Don’t know what the problem was. I restarted IntelliJ , deleted jsLibraryMappings.xml in .idea folder of the project, and after that: voilà!

5. Fred Vader says:

July 16, 2016

Regarding using TypeScript; I had webstorm insert the default tsconfig.json file for me and also went into Preferences-> Lang & Frameworks > TypeScript and checked Enable TS Compiler and Use tsconfig.json.

Do I also need to add typescript to my package.json as shown below? Thanks!

“devDependencies”: {
    “electron-packager”: “^7.3.0”,
    “electron-prebuilt”: “^1.2.7”,
    “concurrently”: “^2.0.0”,
    “lite-server”: “^2.2.0”,
    “typescript”: “^1.8.10”,
    “typings”:”^1.0.4″
    }

July 18, 2016

You can use either a built-in TypeScript compiler, then you don’t need to have TypeScript installed in node_modules, or set up some other build tool like Gulp, then you do need it.

6. Marius says:

August 22, 2016

I’m having some problems running the process. All I get is “CreateProccess failed with error 193 (no message available).

My settings:
    Node interpreter: C:\Code\Webstorm\Electron\Lab\node_modules\.bin\electron
    Working directory: C:\Code\Webstorm\Electron\Lab
    JavaScript file: app.js

I’m running Windows 10

Any one know what I can do to get around this problem?

• Marius says:

August 22, 2016

I just found out that I had to use the electron.cmd, it works now.

• Brandon says:

March 26, 2017

Thanks Marius, that is very helpful.

August 23, 2016

It seems that the path to Electron is incorrect, please try C:\Code\Webstorm\Electron\Lab\node_modules\.bin\electron.cmd

7. Peter says:

September 19, 2016

The main process works for me, but no breakpoints are hit in the renderer.
    I’m using typescript and I’m using the latest EAP version (WebStorm 2016.3 EAP
    Build #WS-163.4396.14, built on September 14, 2016)

September 19, 2016

Do you have “inlineSources”: true, “sourceMap”: true options in your tsconfig.json?
      Did that work in WebStorm 2016.2? Can you please send us more details on our project configuration and breakpoints location via https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issues/WEB Thanks!

• Peter says:

September 19, 2016

I found an issue which has the same problem as me but hasn’t been answered since posted in March https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/WEB-20976

Can you please inform someone to answer the question please?

Thanks!

8. Frank Arnold says:

September 27, 2016

Is developing with Electron also supported with PHPStorm or is there a difference between Webstorm vs PHPStorm for node.js/Electron or Node Webkit?

September 28, 2016

Should work the same way in PhpStorm, just make sure you have the Node.js plugin installed.

9. Edik says:

October 10, 2016

Hello.
    I try to use a Configuration:

node interpreter –
    D:\workspace_webstorm\shn-elect-000\node_modules\.bin\electron.cmd

working directory –
    D:\workspace_webstorm\shn-elect-000

javascript file –
    main.js

_Run_ is fine.

But when I try to use _Debug_,
    I take a error message:

“D:\Program Files (x86)\JetBrains\WebStorm 2016.2.3\bin\runnerw.exe” D:\workspace_webstorm\shn-elect-000\node_modules\.bin\electron.cmd –debug-brk=61115 –expose_debug_as=v8debug D:\workspace_webstorm\shn-elect-000\main.js

ReferenceError: v8debug is not defined

Ekaterina, can you possibly to help me ?

October 10, 2016

Please ignore this message (it’s related to the upcoming changes in the Node.js debugging protocol), it should not affect debugging your app. Sorry for confusion.

10. polina says:

October 11, 2016

Hello.
    My typescript module(which i use in render process) is required as usual module and it contains only ./out directory with js files, but I want debug it as ts code. I tried to add source map to files in ./out dir, where source is my local ./src dir, but `Chromium remote` does not see them. `Chromium remote` use only js files from ./out dir 🙁
    How can i fix it?
    I also tried add tsconfig with something like this but it also does not work
    “`
    “outDir”: “./node_modules/myTSmodule/out/”,
    “sourceRoot”: “../myTSmodule/src/”,
    “mapRoot”: “../myTSmodule/out/”,
    “inlineSources”: true,
    “sourceMap”: true
    },
    “include”: [
    “../myTSmodule/src/**/*.ts”
    ]
    “`

October 11, 2016

Unfortunately, we found out that only the main process debug works for apps in TypeScript. Here’s a link to the issue: https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/WEB-23687 We hope to get it fixed soon. Sorry for inconvenience!

11. Robert Derus says:

November 29, 2016

Did something change in WS 2016.2? I cant find “Preferences | Languages and Frameworks | JavaScript | Libraries, click Download”

• Robert Derus says:

November 29, 2016

sorry, my bad 2016.3 is the new version… my comment can be deleted thanks. :))

November 29, 2016

Should be the same in all versions, nothing has changed in that configuration dialog.

12. Kevin says:

December 9, 2016

Create NodeJS run\debug configuration for the Main process and Chromium remote configuration for the Render process.
    Run NodeJS configuration, then Chromium remote configuration.
    Main process is OK.
    Chromium remote successfully connected, but nothing happens – breakpoints are not hit, console.log message are not shown.
    Why? How to fix it?

Thx.

• Konstantin Ulitin says:

December 12, 2016

Could you please enable logging by setting js.debugger.wip.log property in Registry (Help|Find Action|Registry) to some file path like ~/wip.json, start debugging and attach resulted file? Feel free to create a support request for it, it will be more convenient to continue the investigation there.

• Michael Dong says:

April 20, 2017

I have some similar situation like Kevin.
        I could debug in Main process and Render process.And the breakpoints are hit in render process, but console.log messages were not shown too!

I have changed the setting js.debugger.wip.log property for “~/wip.json”,so i got the file . but the console of chromium remote debug
        still empty.

13. Liam says:

January 24, 2017

For anyone who had trouble getting the webstorm interpreter dialog to find the .bin folder or the /usr directory on a mac. A workaround is to create a symlink to the .bin or /usr/local folder and then select the electron binary.

For example in my home directory ~/ I did:
    ln -s /usr/local/ ~/usr_local_symlink

After that I was able to access the electron binary from the dialog. There must be a better way to accomplish this but in the short term this is for anyone who is stuck.

January 24, 2017

You can hit Shift-Cmd-G (it’s a default shortcut on macOS in Finder for Go to folder) when you see a file chooser in WebStorm and type the path you need to get to, e.g. /usr.

• John Wilson says:

February 22, 2017

Good tip, though I’ve oddly had mixed results with it. Worked for me once, then it locked up the open dialog the next time I tried it. In the end I found hitting Cmd-Shift-. (period) will cause hidden files like .bin to be shown in the dialog box. Just another option if anyone runs into problems with Shift-Cmd-G like I did.

14. Robert Ferentz says:

February 13, 2017

I’m attempting to debug the main process of my electron app according to this https://blog.jetbrains.com/webstorm/2016/05/getting-started-with-electron-in-webstorm/

I’ve set up everything as described, but am getting an error when attempting to debug.

/Users/robertferentz/Work/connect-admin/node_modules/electron-prebuilt-compile/lib/cli.js –debug-brk=56546 –expose_debug_as=v8debug /Users/robertferentz/Work/connect-admin/src/index.js App threw an error during load Error: Cannot find module ‘/Users/robertferentz/Work/connect-admin/–debug-brk=56546’ at Module._resolveFilename (module.js:455:15) at Function.Module._resolveFilename (/Users/robertferentz/Work/connect-admin/node_modules/electron/dist/Electron.app/Contents/Resources/electron.asar/common/reset-search-paths.js:35:12) at Function.Module._load (module.js:403:25) at Module.require (module.js:483:17) at init (/Users/robertferentz/Work/connect-admin/node_modules/electron-compile/lib/config-parser.js:279:16) at main (/Users/robertferentz/Work/connect-admin/node_modules/electron-prebuilt-compile/lib/es6-init.js:38:29) at Object. (/Users/robertferentz/Work/connect-admin/node_modules/electron-prebuilt-compile/lib/es6-init.js:41:1) at Module._compile (module.js:556:32) at Object.Module._extensions..js (module.js:565:10) at Module.load (module.js:473:32)

I’ve made sure all the settings are correct. Could be because I’m using electron-forge or does it not have anything to do with it?

15. Kim Gentes says:

March 9, 2017

I have one Electron main.js process and TWO (2) render processes. How do I point my debugger to a specific render process that I want to debug?

March 10, 2017

You should do the steps described in Debugging the render process section of the blog post. The only difference is that when you start the Chromium remote configuration, WebStorm will ask you what render process out of two you’d like to debug.

16. Aland Kuang says:

March 14, 2017

I’m on IntelliJ 2016.1 Ultimate and I can’t find “Preferences | Languages and Frameworks | JavaScript | Libraries, Download”. I cannot locate “Libraries.” Is this a new feature in 2016.2 and onwards?

March 15, 2017

Please make sure you have JavaScript support enabled in Preferences | Plugins.

• Aland Kuang says:

March 15, 2017

I was meaning to say I was using WebStorm 2016.1. Sorry about that.

I do see that Javascript support is checked. I just updated WebStorm and I still can’t see the Libraries.

March 15, 2017

It seems that you’re looking at the default settings instead of project settings. Libraries are only available in project settings.

• Aland Kuang says:

March 15, 2017

Ah. I made an empty test project and now I see Libraries and I could see the downloads. Thanks for the help!

17. Aland Kuang says:

March 24, 2017

I can’t find github-electron in the list. I tried Sascha’s solution but I couldn’t find the referenced file.

I updated to WebStorm 2017.1.

Here’s a link to a screenshot: http://imgur.com/a/gVTyc

However, I see a choice called electron and electron-* where * is any word. Is electron the new name for it?

March 24, 2017

It seems that it was renamed to electron. Please install it.
      I will update the blog post. Sorry for confusion.

• Aland Kuang says:

March 24, 2017

Ah no worries. Thanks for maintaining this article! It’s really helpful!

18. GaldanM says:

March 25, 2017

Hello,

I’ve something weird with downloading the Electron library, there a re only 3 items in the list…

Here’s a screenshot : https://gyazo.com/613ac45f27f004e5761c1a8b4faef804

Do you have any idea why ?

Thanks in advance

March 27, 2017

Sorry for the inconvenience. The structure of the DefinitelyTyped repo has changed a couple of days ago, WebStorm will support this new structure in the WebStorm 2017.1.1 bug-fix update. Here’s an issue on our tracker: https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/WEB-26160

• GalanM says:

March 29, 2017

Thanks, I’ve been to the repo and downloaded manually the ones I needed then added them in “Javascript” | “Library” | “Add”.

Works perfectly

19. Oren Harroche says:

March 27, 2017

To spare anyone else the sadness and insanity I had to go through:
    1) Currently, when you click on “Download…” and choose “TypeScript Community Stubs” you will get bupkiss. That is because the TS repository has apparently been restructured.
    You can read about it here (which also details how to manually add self-downloaded libraries as a workaround): https://intellij-support.jetbrains.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/115000140384/comments/115000165650
    It’s been fixed in (not yet available) 2017.1.1. Unfortunately, it does not appear that they plan to push this fix to older versions? (https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/WEB-26160)

2) (Probably less relevant) The “Libraries” option will not show up at all if your Git executable is not configured correctly.

March 27, 2017

Thank you for your update. We are considering to backport the changes to WebStorm 2016.3 and probably WebStorm 2016.2, but it’s not final decision yet.

20. Chris says:

April 3, 2017

I’m new to Electron development, I’m just about to start setting up my Electron development environment and I find this post makes a lot of assumptions about what is already installed.

Is there an article that completely describes the whole Electron/IntelliJ setup steps?

April 3, 2017

This post only describes the steps you need to perform to configure Electron support in WebStorm. It’s assumed that you’re already familiar with Electron and/or read Electron Quick Start.
      Please let me know what specific issues you had following this tutorial. I will try to answer your questions.

21. Mike Mangialardi says:

April 4, 2017

I’m working with an electron scala.js app and I am unsure how I would configure that in IntelliJ.

April 5, 2017

Do you know any open-source Electron-Scala.js apps we can have a look at?

22. Shawn says:

April 20, 2017

Has anyone had experience debugging with webstorm and electron-vue?

The dev script runs this: https://github.com/SimulatedGREG/electron-vue/blob/master/template/tasks/runner.js

April 21, 2017

We haven’t tried that ourselves. Did you experience any issues?

• Shawn says:

April 21, 2017

I have not really been able to get it to work. I tried to follow the instructions here as an example and sorta had the main process work, but it lost it as I stepped. I had to run the dev task and also run the node configuration pointing at the index.dev.js. I have not been able to get the render process to work at all.

April 26, 2017

I gave it a try and was able to debug the render process. All I did was adding ‘–remote-debugging-port=9222’ to the runner.js at line 38 like this: run('cross-env NODE_ENV=development electron app/src/main/index.dev.js --remote-debugging-port=9222', BLUE, 'electron').
          Then I started the dev task and created and started a Chromium remote configuration as described in the blog post.
          I haven’t tested anything complex. I added a button to the CurrentPage.vue and was able to stop on the method once I clicked it.

• Shawn says:

April 27, 2017

I’ll give that a try. Thank you.

23. Lucio Paiva says:

May 23, 2017

Be careful not to mistakenly select the Electron binary located in `node_modules/electron/dist/electron`, otherwise Webstorm won’t be able to connect (it will show a “Connection refused” message after a few seconds). Webstorm needs to run your app via the link located in `node_modules/.bin/electron` (which actually points to a Node.js script that will ultimately invoke Electron itself), as Ekaterina explained.

May 23, 2017

Thanks for your comment! 🙂

24. David says:

June 12, 2017

I’m trying to download the Electron TypeScript definition files, but I don’t see one simply called “electron.” There are files named “electron-config,” “electron-debug,” “electron-devtools-installer,” “electron-json-storage,” “electron-notifications,” “electron-notify,” “electron-packager,” “electron-settings,” and “electron-window-state.” Do I want some or all of those or am I missing something? Thanks.

Screenshot: http://imgur.com/a/0AZrO

June 12, 2017

It seems that they’ve been removed from the DefinitelyTyped repo 4 days ago because the Electron team is going to publish them with every Electron release.
      To use the Electron.d.ts file in WebStrom, download it from this page https://github.com/electron/electron/releases, then in Preferences | Languages & Frameworks | JavaScript | Libraries click Add…, then click the “+” button and specify the path to the downloaded electron.d.ts file.
      We’ll update the blog post.

• David says:

June 12, 2017

Thanks, that did the trick! When I add the file, does WebStorm copy it to some internal preferences folder or is it linking to the original file I downloaded?

June 12, 2017

It will link to the original file.

25. Dave says:

August 9, 2017

Thanks for posting this. Very helpful.

26. Marek says:

August 21, 2017

I added electron.d.ts to libraries, but still the documentation not working.
    Any ideas why?

August 22, 2017

Sorry, but the URL you’ve specified is the link to the External documentation meaning that the IDE will open this URL in the browser when you call the External documentation action. The docs shown on the screenshot in the blog post are the docs provided in the electron.d.ts file. Unfortunately, they are not available for every symbol. And actually, in the more latest versions of this file, the amount of docs has decreased. You can see that if you open electron.d.ts and go through it.

27. Thomas says:

August 24, 2017

I have WebStorm 2017.2.2; but the code completion does not work for Electron.

The Electron package is installed as a Node module in my project and run well. For a known API, after I complete the typing of its name, I can traverse into the electron.d.ts to see the details of its parameters.

However, during coding like typing the first part of the API name, the API in the electron.d.ts file is not shown in the popup dialog.

I have followed the instructions given above to enable Node.js and NPM. I also have Node.js Core and /node_modules checkboxes selected in the Preferences > Languages & Frameworks > JavaScript > Libraries panel; but the APIs from electron.d.ts are still not shown in the popup dialog during coding.

Could you please check it out?

Thanks very much in advance for your kind help and support.

August 25, 2017

Can you please add a small code sample that shows the case when completion doesn’t show up. Please include the line where Electron is imported in that file. Thank you!

• Thomas McDiamond says:

August 27, 2017

Sample code and comments are added as requested. Please review.
        Thanks.

const menuConfig = Menu.buildFromTemplate([
        {
        label: ‘Quit’,
        click: () => app.quit()
        }
        ]);

// In particular, the following function does not
        // have auto-completion in the popup, i.e. typing
        // ‘this.pop’ does not have auto-completion. But
        // we can traverse to its declaration in the file
        // ‘electron.d.ts’.
        this.popUpContextMenu(menuConfig);
        }
        }

module.exports = AppTray;

August 28, 2017

Thanks for the code sample, that was very helpful! I’ve reported an issue: https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/WEB-28471 You can add a star to it to get a notification when it’s fixed.

28. Zack says:

August 30, 2017

When trying to debug after setting up as this doc describes, the process closes with this error:

“core/node_modules/.bin/electron –debug-brk=54135 –expose_debug_as=v8debug core/main.js –remote-debugging-port=9222

Process finished with exit code 130 (interrupted by signal 2: SIGINT)”

When Run instead of Debug, the app stays open like usual until manual close.

In either case, when main.js is running, breakpoints do not hit.

Any idea what could be going wrong?

August 30, 2017

Can you please tell what WebStorm, Node.ks and Electron versions do you use? Thanks

29. Hans Permana says:

September 4, 2017

Hi Ekaterina,

I tried following your instruction to setup a renderer debugger and failed. Here is my configuration:
    Node interpreter: C:\Projects\edop-studio\node_modules\.bin\electron.cmd
    Node parameters: –remote-debugging-port=9222
    Working directory: C:\Projects\dedop-studio
    Application parameters: app –config=dedop-config.js

I have placed a few breakpoints but all of them were ignored. Note that I am using TS. I have set “inlineSources” and “sourceMap” in tsconfig.json to true.

This issue is probably similar to the one posted here https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/WEB-23687#u=1499967259982

Any help would be much appreciated.

• Hans Permana says:

September 4, 2017

And I am using WebStorm 2017.2.3

September 4, 2017

We were not able to reproduce that issue with WebStorm 2017.2, so we just closed it. We would appreciate if you share a sample project with us to help us reproduce the problem. Thank you!

• Hans Permana says:

September 4, 2017

Thanks for the speedy reply. Here is the project that I was trying to debug: https://github.com/DeDop/dedop-studio

September 6, 2017

Quick update. We’re still trying to figure out what the right setup for debugging TypeScript Electron apps would be. Unfortunately, your project didn’t help us a lot – we couldn’t really start the app because of the environment setup it requires.

• sebi says:

September 27, 2017

Hi,

have you found a setup for debugging TypeScript Electron apps?

• Vladimir Krivosheev says:

October 2, 2017

@sebi What problem do you have? Please note — passing `–remote-debugging-port` in the NodeJS params doesn’t work anymore due to Electron bug (https://github.com/electron/electron/issues/10445).

30. Abelardo says:

September 16, 2017

Hi,
    I would like to know if a “hello world” tutorial is available from scratch: setting with Electron libraries until we are able to run our first Electron app made thanks to WebStorm.

Any help would be welcome.

Thanks and kindest regards,
    Abelardo

September 18, 2017

Hi,
      Do you mean: is there a sample Electron app preconfigured for WebStorm? Unfortunately, there isn’t.

31. sebi says:

September 18, 2017

Hi,

I tried debugging the electron-quickstart but the debugger of the main process do not stop at my breakpoints.

Idea 2017.2.4
    Electron 1.8.0

Do you have the same problem?
    Please see the Console output with configuration –inspect

C:\Projects\electron-quick-start\node_modules\.bin\electron.cmd --inspect-brk=51884 . C:\Projects\electron-quick-start\main.js
    Debugger listening on ws://127.0.0.1:51884/da4451e9-06c9-48d0-b4f5-74bbab74f3e0
    For help see https://nodejs.org/en/docs/inspector
    Debugger attached.

Process finished with exit code 0

Without configuration –inspect

"C:\Program Files\JetBrains\IntelliJ IDEA 2017.2.1\bin\runnerw.exe" C:\Projects \electron-quick-start\node_modules\.bin\electron.cmd --debug-brk=51950 --expose_debug_as=v8debug C:\Projekte\Alarmmonitor\electron-quick-start\main.js

Process finished with exit code 0

Thanks Sebi

September 19, 2017

Hi,

We were able to debug the app when using Electron 1.7 in WebStorm/IntelliJ IDEA 2017.3 EAP and in WebStorm/IntelliJ IDEA 2017.2.4 (you need to add --inspect as an application parameter in the run/debug configuration.

We tried debugging with Electron 1.8 beta, but no luck. It didn’t work in VS Code as well. We should investigate further to find out whether the issue is on the Electron side or on the IDE side.

• sebi says:

September 20, 2017

Thanks, it works!

But I’m a little bit annoyed about electron, quickstart is for beginners, this is no good start.

32. yangxun says:

November 1, 2017

Hi dear Ekaterina

I found a strange problem.
    My webstrom version is ‘2016.2’, electron version is 1.7.9;
    Debug the render process of the app in WebStorm is ok,
    But can’t debug main process.
    App runs correctly and the debugger of the main process do not stop at my breakpoints.

When I lowered the electron version to 1.4.13. debugger works.

Has this problem been met by anyone else?

• lena_spb says:

November 1, 2017

Electron 1.7.9 doesn’t support --debug-brk option, it requires --inspect, and thus there is no way to debug main process in WebStorm 2016.2. In 2017.3 (that is just around the corner) --inspect will be used for Electron main process debugging

• Jason F says:

December 14, 2017

Intellij 2017.3.1 still doesn’t seem to support debugging Electron 1.7.9. The Github issue they reference doesn’t seem to have any progress

I have been unable to debug either the main or renderer process. I suppose Electron broke/removed ‘–debug-brk’ and Intellij hasn’t implemented support for ‘–inspect’? Or am I missing something?

I’m on a free trial of Intellij and new to Electron, this is a pretty disheartening start.

December 14, 2017

Hello,

As it was mentioned in the previous comment, IntelliJ IDEA and WebStorm 2017.3 use the --inspect flag for debugging Electron apps (here’s a related issue on our issue tracker: WEB-27784) so debug of the main process should work fine.

Regarding the debug of the render process: the workaround suggested in the issue on GitHub should help. You need to add app.commandLine.appendSwitch('remote-debugging-port', '9222') to main.js and then create and use Attach to Node.js/Chrome configuration and specify this port number.

Please let us know how it works for you! Thanks!

• Jason F says:

December 14, 2017

I apologize, I am unable to delete or edit my first comment.

Upon further experimentation, I was able to debug (set breakpoints) both the main and renderer processes of the electron-quickstart app with Intellij 2017.3.1 and Electron 1.7.9.

Creating an ‘Attach to Node.js/Chrome’ run config with the “–inspect” radio option selected and port 9222 along with the main node.js run config with electron as interpreter and application parameter ‘–remote-debugging-port=9222’ seems to work like a charm so far….. hope this helps someone (and that it keeps working!)

December 14, 2017

Great to hear that! 🙂 Thanks!
            I’ve also updated the blog post and described these steps.

33. Srini says:

February 27, 2018

Thank you for this article.
    Just wanted to bring a typo to your attention.

GitHub is misspelled as GutHub. I am not sure if this was intentional.
    “You can also download the file manually from the GutHub and link to it.”

February 27, 2018

Thanks for noticing! Will fix that.

34. Ozymandiaz says:

May 26, 2018

hello, i follow your step by using webstorm 2018.1

but, i see some error:
    App threw an error during load
    Error: Cannot create BrowserWindow before app is ready

here is my run setting.
    node interpreter: D:\MyProject\node_modules\.bin\electron.cmd
    working directory: D:\MyProject
    javascript file: main.js

and i also try by vscode, but it work fine.

how can i fix it?

best regards.

• Ozymandiaz says:

May 26, 2018

well, i’m resolved now this problem by recreate and resetting.

i don’t know exactly. why show error.

anyway thanks for article.

35. Claudio says:

June 20, 2018

Hi,
    with Electron v2.0.2, to debug a render process, are still valid these directives?
    – Add this line to main.js: app.commandLine.appendSwitch(‘remote-debugging-port’, ‘9222’)
    – Create a debug profile: “Attach to Node.js/Chrome”.
    – start the Electron app
    – start the debug profile
    Because I’ve tried but the breakpoints don’t work.

June 21, 2018

Hi,
      Yes, I’ve double-checked the steps that with Electron 2.0.2 and all works fine for me. Please make sure that you’ve changed the port from the default 9229 to 9222 in the Attach to Node.js/Chrome configuration. We need more information about your app and what exactly happens when you start debugger to investigate further.

36. Claudio says:

June 20, 2018

However I can debug the render process enablig the Chrome DevTools.

37. Ron Amihai says:

September 21, 2018

Hello.
    I’m trying to use this template of Electron&Angular in WebStorm: https://github.com/maximegris/angular-electron

However I didn’t succeed to debug the Angular’s TS code with this setup.
    Maybe you’ve experience with debugging Angular inside Electron app & can advise how it should be managed correctly?

September 24, 2018

Hello,
      Please try the `electron:local` npm script to run your app. Don’t forget to pass the debug flag to it: `”electron:local”: “npm run build:dev && electron . –remote-debugging-port=9222″`. Then use this port in the Attach to Node.js/Chrome configuration, debug seems to work fine this way. If you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to contact our tech support: https://intellij-support.jetbrains.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

And for debugging the app when using the start task, please follow this issue: https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/WEB-34979

38. groob says:

November 24, 2018

Hello,
    I can’t seem to be able to debug the main process for electron: 2.0.13 in webstorm 2018.3.

I create a run/debug config as described with:
    Node Intepreter: ~/myProject/node_modules/.bin/electron
    Working Directory: ~/myProject
    Javascript File: index.js

If I try to RUN then it works.
    If I try to debug then I can read this in the console:

~/myProjects/node_modules/.bin/electron –inspect-brk=55469 ~/myProjects/index.js

Debugger listening on ws://127.0.0.1:55469/6d895f5b-8a9a-406d-8a6f-4022c0eda37f
    For help see https://nodejs.org/en/docs/inspector
    “`

Nothing happens, no breakpoints are hit and and after 30 secs/1 Min this is printed to the console:

Process finished with exit code 0

Did something change in webstorom/Electron or it is a misconfiguration?

November 26, 2018

Hello,
      Unfortunately, there’s a known issue with debugging the main process with Electron 2.x: https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/WEB-34907
      We will look into it and hopefully fix it soon.
      Debugging does work with Electron 3.x, the current stable version.

• Pablo says:

April 4, 2020

This exact thing is happening to me right now with the version 8.2.0.
        Only without the “Process finished with exit code 0”.
        What to do?

• Ekaterina Ryabukha says:

April 6, 2020

Hello,
          Please file a new issue here: https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issues/WEB, describing the problem you’re having in more detail so we could try to replicate it. We’ll try to find the culprit.

39. Yohan Liebart says:

December 17, 2018

Hi,

I have to spawn my electron app from a node script (that send data to it with an IPC), how should I configure my debugger to be able to put breakpoint in the child procress ?

Thanks !

December 18, 2018

Hello Yohan, please have a look at this issue and the workaround described in it: https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/WEB-36401
      Hope it helps. If it doesn’t, please leave a comment in the issue.

40. laoshaw says:

March 7, 2019

open-new project has cordova app but no electron, why is that? I thought electron is the most popular desktop suite for js/html/css these days

March 7, 2019

Hello, we are adding project templates when there’s an official project generator or template available for this technology. We don’t know about anything like that for Electron. If you know, it would be great if you submit us a feature request about that: https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issues/WEB Thanks!

41. Shivam Bhatele says:

April 23, 2019

Hello, I am trying to make a web application with electron framework and some of the stages i was stack, I think i am new one that’s the main problem. I am more exploring about electron programming from https://hackr.io/tutorials/learn-electron Can anyone one provide me more references to make app with the help of electron.

April 24, 2019

Hello Shivam, sorry, we don’t really have a lot of knowledge in this field. We relied on the official Electron docs. Egghead.io is a good source of video tutorial, there’s also quite a lot of tutorials on hackernoon.com.

42. shlomisas says:

February 25, 2020

Hi, do anyone has problems configuring the debug in Windows? I did everything right but getting this weird error (almost no Google results for it): https://www.screencast.com/t/MtmPdXINCb0L

needless to say that the `pages/index.html` file IS located in the relative path to my main process folder.

Thanks!

• lena_spb says:

February 26, 2020

Hello,

doesn’t look related to debugging. What is a result of running the same command (node_modules/.bin/electron.cmd .) in terminal? Please check comments in https://github.com/electron/electron/issues/18857 for some hints