Ekaterina Prigara

Please meet WebStorm 2016.3, the third big WebStorm update of 2016 jam-packed with new features!

For the past four months we’ve been working hard to improve support for ES6, TypeScript, and Flow and integrate more tools into the IDE, to help you develop more smoothly and productively not only for the web but also for mobile.

Visit What’s new in WebStorm 2016.3 to see a full overview of its new features or watch an overview video below.

And here’re some of the highlights:

• Support for Flow: type errors are reported right in the editor; Flow-powered code completion
  • Support for React Native: code completion, running and debugging apps in WebStorm
  • Better TypeScript support: more precise code completion and analysis powered by the TypeScript language
    service; smarter Rename refactoring that understands the inheritance hierarchy
  • Set of inspections and quick-fixes for migrating the code to ES6 and a new
    Convert to class intention

Among other noticeable updates: integration with Stylelint, support for PostCSS via a plugin, running and debugging tests with Protractor, quick bootstrap to run and debug Node.js app in Docker, better support for ES6 destructuring, and even more!

40off2xIf you have a WebStorm license purchased before November 2015, before January 1, 2017 you can purchase a new subscription at 40% off and keep using WebStorm with all the latest features.

JetBrains WebStorm Team

Comments below can no longer be edited.

40 Responses to WebStorm 2016.3 released: Flow, better TypeScript support, debugging React Native apps, Stylelint, and more

1. Gustavo says:

November 14, 2016

Great updates, in special the PostCSS and Stylelint suport.

However, the new file icons aren’t so good… and I am already regretting updating to this version. The icon colors are too pale and they blend too much with the background.
    Is it possible to revert to the previous file icons? It should at least be a toggle-able options.

2. Alvez says:

November 14, 2016

The new icons, however, are not enough distinguishable.
    The icons are too alike in the dark theme and the colors have no contrast.

t is possible to revert it to the old theme?
    Sorry to sound grumpy about it, but it would be nice to have this has an optional feature or them.

3. JC Ford says:

November 14, 2016

Really not a fan of the new icons. Would be nice if you released a theme to restore the old ones.

4. Sergey says:

November 15, 2016

It’s great, that you’re releasing new versions of WebStorm in a pretty constant pace and adding new features, but for me it’s very unpleasant to have visual style changes. New icons for folders and other UI elements (and especially their colors) look awful and now it seems to me, that I’m working in some different IDE. I think it would be better to make such changes in major releases, but not in minor ones, so users can be sure, that they will get more features and bug fixes, while having the same UX.

5. Steve says:

November 15, 2016

As far as ‘debugging’ – I put a breakpoint in my code and it never hit the breakpoint. Please advise. I added a React Native configuration and ran ‘debug’ – the app started ok but never hit the breakpoint.

Not sure if related, but I get quite a bit of these messages as well:

[intellij] Established a connection with the Proxy (Packager) to the React Native application

[intellij] Disconnected from the Proxy (Packager) to the React Native application. Retrying reconnection soon…

• Konstantin Ulitin says:

November 15, 2016

Looks like you have other debugger connected to packager, like default Chrome debugger. Please ensure other debuggers are closed.

6. Mikael Selander says:

November 16, 2016

The TypeScript improvements are very welcome indeed. A lot of incorrect red squigglies went away in my project – especially around inheritance. Sweet!

• alex says:

November 16, 2016

Typescript: it has become very bad. Not looking to use “Find usage”. Part of the code red for no reason.

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

November 17, 2016

Would appreciate a bit more details on the issues you have here or on our tracker: https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issues/WEB
        WebStorm now uses the TypeScript language service for code analysis, so the errors reported in the editor should now be the same as those the TypeScript compiler would report. Do you see something different in your project? Thanks!

7. Mörre Noseshine says:

November 16, 2016

Lots of comments about icons. How do all you people actually *use* the product?

I have quite a few more or less related issues open centered around things like “autocompletion picks up its suggestions from clearly impossible places”, for example, I get suggestions for a property of an object that a function receives as parameter that according to WS itself it found in some remote place like the “mocha” npm, a) which I’m not even using because I’m not in the test code, b) the property it claims to have found is in an internal(!) object deep in some function. Or I get an error “require statement missing” for JSON.stringify, because a competing implementation is found – again in some test package included by mocha trough three layers of sub-dependencies. Or I get tons of autocomplete suggestions for a variable that I said (via JSDoc type) to be exactly of type XYZ. Etc etc.

No misunderstandings: This is not much of a complaint! I think finding the types probably is the hardest problem in the entire IDE especially with Javascript. I’m just wondering, am I the only one who finds those problems? I mean, everybody else seems to only notice the new icon design, so I begin to suspect maybe I’m doing something wrong in how I use WS?

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

November 16, 2016

Problems with types are also very hard to report, I guess that might be an explanation. That’s why we really appreciate your efforts in filling us the issues. Thank you!

8. Stavros Kefaleas says:

November 16, 2016

Great new icons and better performance than before!
    Keep up the good work!

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

November 16, 2016

Thank you!

• Jos de Jong says:

November 24, 2016

Agree, I like the new icons! (less noisy)

9. Serhii says:

November 16, 2016

Grouping in project view for custom scope doesn’t work. For instance I can see my .ts, .js and map files on the same level

10. Jon says:

November 16, 2016

Thank you for the Protractor UI Support, great addition! Now I can run E2E tests like unit tests with Karma, no more scrolling!
    One question though, is it possible to configure parameters, such as to run only specified suites (e.g. ‘–suite some_suite’) configured in the .conf file?
    Thanks. Keep up the good work!

11. marcel says:

November 22, 2016

Webstorm 2016.2.4 on ubuntu 16.04 signals an update is ready. After selecting update and restart, a patch is downloaded to /tmp/jetbrains.patch.jar.webstorm and webstorm shuts down. Though it doesn’t restart and the patch is not being applied. What could be the problem here?

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

November 22, 2016

Can you still start a previous IDE version? Please try to change boot JDK in it as described here https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/IDEA-161223
      Please also try to delete the patch and let WebStorm to download it again. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• marcel says:

November 23, 2016

I am able to start webstorm myself, but it didn’t automatically restart after downloading update and then automatically shutting down.

I wasn’t able to fix this and decided to uninstall and reinstall. Maybe something got messed up during install!? I don’t know. At this moment I am able to run 2016.3 from a fresh install. I’ll see what happens at the next available update.

Thanks for the tip anyway

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

November 23, 2016

Thanks for the update. Let us know how it goes the next time. So far we were not able to reproduce the problem, but hope it will be ok with the next update.

12. Bello Musa says:

November 23, 2016

Great UI 🙂

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

November 23, 2016

Thanks!

13. David Gómez says:

December 28, 2016

I love the Stylelint support but unfortunately it doesn’t work with SASS/SCSS files when other plugins in other editors do.

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

December 28, 2016

Can you please provide more details on your Stylelint setup with Sass. So far I wasn’t able to make Stylelint work with .sass files even in the command line.
      With SCSS all works fine: all the errors are reported in the editor.

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

December 28, 2016

And the Stylelint website doesn’t list Sass as a supported language.

• Rene Rasmussen says:

December 31, 2016

What version of Stylelint so you use?
      I keep getting ‘no configuration provided for…’

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

January 9, 2017

I have WebStorm 2016.3.2 and Stylelint 6.9.0.

14. Eugene says:

January 9, 2017

Hi! WebStorm don’t hit to breakpoint in any console application for NodeJS.
    How solve this problem?

For example, I create simple project with follow code:
    var a=5;
    a *= 5; (breakpoint here)
    console.log(a);

After running project in debug mode WebStorm write messages and stop application.

Messages:
    “C:\Program Files (x86)\JetBrains\WebStorm 2016.2.4\bin\runnerw.exe” “C:\Program Files\nodejs\node.exe” –inspect=51989 –debug-brk C:\bbstorage\test\debTest\test.js
    Debugger listening on port 51989.
    Debugger attached.
    Waiting for the debugger to disconnect…

• Eugene says:

January 9, 2017

At 2016.2.4 all work

• Eugene says:

January 9, 2017

First message about bug after update WS from 2016.2.4 to 2016.3.2

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

January 9, 2017

Unfortunately, there’s a known issue with using Node.js 7 on Windows. Fix will be available in the next WebStorm 2016.3 bug-fix update. Or you can use WebStorm 2017.1 EAP now. Sorry for the inconvenience.