WebStorm 2017.2 EAP, 172.3095: npm install and update notifications

Posted on by Ekaterina Prigara

A new WebStorm 2017.2 EAP build (172.3095.13) makes it easier to manage project’s dependencies: the IDE will suggest you running npm install or npm update when you open a project, update it from the version control or edit package.json.

npm-update

For the full list of issues addressed in this EAP build, see the Release notes.

You can install this WebStorm 2017.2 EAP build via Toolbox App or by downloading it on this page. It can be installed side-by-side with your stable WebStorm version. A patch update from the last week EAP build is also available.

Please share your feedback and report issues on our tracker. Thank you!

Your WebStorm Team

Comments below can no longer be edited.

18 Responses to WebStorm 2017.2 EAP, 172.3095: npm install and update notifications

1. Fluster says:

June 22, 2017

Not a single fix for Flow? Come on WebStorm, support is really lacking and issues are piling up. What’s the plan for fixing Flow in WebStorm?

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

June 22, 2017

There’s been a bunch of fixes related to Flow in WebStorm 2017.2. Here’s a list of those that have been tracked on our bug tracker: https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issues/WEB?q=%23flow%20Fix%20versions:%202017.2

• Michael Hasenstein says:

July 15, 2017

On the bright side, in the 2017.2 RC Flow now works reasonably well. I tried several projects and machines, not too extensively, but I got good feedback about Flow errors, the Flow syntax bug for optional function arguments has been fixed, the error locations shown in the Flow panel are correct.

I noticed a similar pattern regarding Flow with the previous iteration of EAPs: 2017.1 (final) worked reasonably well after the EAPs didn’t. It seems to repeat. Before the RC, while running each of the EAPs, I could hardly get a Flow error displayed in WebStorm.

It’s hard to tell where the problem lies sometimes, because Flow development and bug fixing are progressing at a very slow pace, and they are still only just working on features for better IDE integration judging by the release notes of the last few versions.

• Michael Hasenstein says:

July 15, 2017

Too soon. If there is an error Flow (still?) likes to crash (platform: Windows) – and is not restarted by the IDE. I’m not going to file a ticket because I suspect the ball is in the court of the Flow developers. Let’s hope the new mechanism to send bugs to a listening client – not yet used by WebStorm and still in beta – is going to work better..

• Konstantin Ulitin says:

July 18, 2017

Hi Michael. We’ll look to this problem with crashing on Windows closer. We haven’t managed to reproduce it though.

• Michael Hasenstein says:

July 18, 2017

I created an issue and attached the log. Not that there is much of value in it apart from the crash message.

See: WEB-27845 Flow keeps crashing and crashing

2. Amiram Korach says:

June 22, 2017

The npm install is nice. How can I set the npm params like loglevel and such?

3. WisdomGuidedByExperience says:

June 25, 2017

How does this new feature differ from using npm-check-updates (a.k.a. ncu)?

I use a combination of npm-check-updates (a.k.a. ncu) with the “-a” switch plus some PowerShell to periodically update my package.json file to the latest editions of the dependencies while leaving the Angular portions set to “^4.0.0”.

That way, when I delete my node_modules directory followed by npm install, I get the latest edition of Angular (4.2.4) as of the date of this post installed along with the latest editions of the non-Angular dependencies.

There is risk involved, so I always thoroughly test to verify that the updates did not break anything and roll back the change before committing it to whatever SCCM system holds the code.

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

June 26, 2017

This feature just allows you to run “npm install” or “npm update” from the UI instead of typing the commands in the terminal.

4. Piotr Zurek says:

June 26, 2017

It is possible to use Yarn instead of npm from notification?

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

June 27, 2017

Yes, you can configure the path to yarn in Preferences | Languages & Frameworks | Node.js and npm: click on … next to the current node version and select path to yarn in the npm package field from the drop-down in the window that opens. If you also do that in the IDE Default Preferences, it will apply to all new projects you create.

5. Oliver Bienert says:

January 3, 2018

Hello,
    this does not work for me. My version:

IntelliJ IDEA 2017.3.2 (Ultimate Edition)
    Build #IU-173.4127.27, built on December 25, 2017
    Linux 4.13.0-21-generic

I edit package.json but nothing happens. No suggestion to run npm install. I had this working on my old 32bit system which I used until a couple of month ago.
    I have the NodeJS plugin installed and Node.js Core library enabled.

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

January 3, 2018

The notification is only shown when you save the file. Please let us know if you’ve done that.
      Another possible reason for not seeing notifications might be that you’ve clicked “Don’t ask again” on the notification popup in this project.

• Glenn Dwiyatcita says:

April 25, 2018

…and how do we bring back the notification popup after we’ve clicked “Don’t ask again”?

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

April 25, 2018

You can still run ‘npm install’ from the package.json context menu. If you want to see the notifications for this file again, please open the workspace.xml file in the .idea folder in the project root and remove this file from the component name="NodePackageJsonFileManager" tag.

• Joey says:

September 7, 2018

I suspect you mean to delete the “

or just the “ inside it.

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

September 7, 2018

Sorry, I’m not sure I understood your comment. In WebStorm 2018.2 the element you need to remove in the XML file is:

<component name=”PackageJsonUpdateNotifier”>
              <dismissed value=”$PROJECT_DIR$/package.json” />
              </component>

You can delete the whole tag of its content.