WebStorm 2017.2 EAP, 172.3095: npm install and update notifications

A new WebStorm 2017.2 EAP build (172.3095.13) makes it easier to manage project’s dependencies: the IDE will suggest you running npm install or npm update when you open a project, update it from the version control or edit package.json.

npm-update

For the full list of issues addressed in this EAP build, see the Release notes.

You can install this WebStorm 2017.2 EAP build via Toolbox App or by downloading it on this page. It can be installed side-by-side with your stable WebStorm version. A patch update from the last week EAP build is also available.

Please share your feedback and report issues on our tracker. Thank you!

Your WebStorm Team

About Ekaterina Prigara

Ekaterina Prigara is WebStorm product marketing manager at JetBrains. She's passionate about new technologies, UX and coffee.
This entry was posted in Early Access Preview and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to WebStorm 2017.2 EAP, 172.3095: npm install and update notifications

1. Fluster says:

Not a single fix for Flow? Come on WebStorm, support is really lacking and issues are piling up. What’s the plan for fixing Flow in WebStorm?

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

There’s been a bunch of fixes related to Flow in WebStorm 2017.2. Here’s a list of those that have been tracked on our bug tracker: https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issues/WEB?q=%23flow%20Fix%20versions:%202017.2

• On the bright side, in the 2017.2 RC Flow now works reasonably well. I tried several projects and machines, not too extensively, but I got good feedback about Flow errors, the Flow syntax bug for optional function arguments has been fixed, the error locations shown in the Flow panel are correct.

I noticed a similar pattern regarding Flow with the previous iteration of EAPs: 2017.1 (final) worked reasonably well after the EAPs didn’t. It seems to repeat. Before the RC, while running each of the EAPs, I could hardly get a Flow error displayed in WebStorm.

It’s hard to tell where the problem lies sometimes, because Flow development and bug fixing are progressing at a very slow pace, and they are still only just working on features for better IDE integration judging by the release notes of the last few versions.

• Too soon. If there is an error Flow (still?) likes to crash (platform: Windows) – and is not restarted by the IDE. I’m not going to file a ticket because I suspect the ball is in the court of the Flow developers. Let’s hope the new mechanism to send bugs to a listening client – not yet used by WebStorm and still in beta – is going to work better..

• Konstantin Ulitin says:

Hi Michael. We’ll look to this problem with crashing on Windows closer. We haven’t managed to reproduce it though.

• I created an issue and attached the log. Not that there is much of value in it apart from the crash message.

See: WEB-27845 Flow keeps crashing and crashing

2. Amiram Korach says:

The npm install is nice. How can I set the npm params like loglevel and such?

3. WisdomGuidedByExperience says:

How does this new feature differ from using npm-check-updates (a.k.a. ncu)?

I use a combination of npm-check-updates (a.k.a. ncu) with the “-a” switch plus some PowerShell to periodically update my package.json file to the latest editions of the dependencies while leaving the Angular portions set to “^4.0.0”.

That way, when I delete my node_modules directory followed by npm install, I get the latest edition of Angular (4.2.4) as of the date of this post installed along with the latest editions of the non-Angular dependencies.

There is risk involved, so I always thoroughly test to verify that the updates did not break anything and roll back the change before committing it to whatever SCCM system holds the code.

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

This feature just allows you to run “npm install” or “npm update” from the UI instead of typing the commands in the terminal.

4. Piotr Zurek says:

It is possible to use Yarn instead of npm from notification?

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

Yes, you can configure the path to yarn in Preferences | Languages & Frameworks | Node.js and npm: click on … next to the current node version and select path to yarn in the npm package field from the drop-down in the window that opens. If you also do that in the IDE Default Preferences, it will apply to all new projects you create.