JetBrains Announces IntelliJ IDEA 6.0 Groundbreaking Java IDE Moves Forward
Improved Java EE Development, Enhanced Swing GUI Designer, Teamwork Facilitation- Just a Few of the New Features & Enhancements
October 2, 2006
Prague, Czech Republic, October 2, 2006 — JetBrains®, creators of intelligent, productivity-enhancing applications, today announced the release of IntelliJ® IDEA 6.0, its award-winning flagship Java IDE (integrated development environment). JetBrains is the recognized innovation leader in IDEs and winner of many industry awards. IntelliJ IDEA 6.0 lifts productivity to new levels, supports emerging technologies such as EJB, AJAX, and GWT, and enables faster, easier development of high-quality web applications using a range of servers, with full code analysis and enhanced team collaboration tools.
Among the IntelliJ IDEA 6.0 functional enhancements is even greater support for Java Enterprise Edition (Java EE) technologies that expands the scope and types of applications that developers can productively handle. Version 6 augments web development, including support and migration mappings for EJB 3.0. Users can easily and quickly refactor EJB 1.x and 2,x modules into clean EJB 3 modules.
In addition, the IntelliJ IDEA 6.0 enhanced Swing GUI (graphical user interface) designer supports multiple Swing layout managers and allows fast, intelligent import of existing user interfaces, whether hand-coded or created in other UI designers. New advances are further magnified by refinements of the IDE’s technology-leading productivity and code-editing capabilities.
“IntelliJ IDEA 6.0 continues our flagship IDE’s evolution toward ever greater productivity for developers,” noted Sergey Dmitriev, JetBrains chief executive officer. “As applications grow more complex, developing them takes ever increased resources – it is essential to make application development easier and faster so developers can focus on being creative. IntelliJ IDEA 6.0 provides professional Java developers with a robust, high-productivity platform that makes that happen. There simply is no better way to create performance-critical enterprise applications “.
Key Features of IntelliJ IDEA 6.0
IntelliJ IDEA 6.0 provides new features and supports new technologies as well as enhancing and extending the IDE’s existing features. Notable enhancements include:
- Support for EJB 3.0 and Persistence Units, plus assists for migrating code from earlier EJB specifications
- Enhanced Java EE support, including JSP improvements, support for JSF, and Struts framework
- New GWT Studio plug-in simplifies development of Web applications using the Google Web Toolkit (http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/)
- Integration with more application servers, including WebLogic 9, WebSphere, JBoss, and more, makes web application deployment and debugging easier
- Enhanced and extended GUI designer with design time support for Swing and third-party layout managers, new form inspections, full keyboard accessibility, and many other productivity features
- New unified VCS interface features dedicated tool window for change lists handling under any integrated VCS, whether or not it supports change lists
- New team collaboration tool “IDEtalk” lets developers exchange text messages, exceptions, code pointers, and code changes without leaving the IDE
- Enhanced testing and code analysis tools include code coverage and JUnit 4 integrations, and new code inspections for Java and Java EE
A freely available IntelliJ IDEA 6.0 plug-in integrates IntelliJ IDEA 6.0 with the newly released platform-independent JetBrains TeamCity integrated team environment (https://www.jetbrains.com/teamcity), giving users direct access to TeamCity’s powerful team collaboration and coordination features from within the IDE itself.
Numerous other new features and enhancements in IntelliJ IDEA 6.0 follow JetBrains’ long-standing philosophy of intelligent, unobtrusive usability aimed at optimizing productivity and making development a pleasure day after day.
For full information and features on IntelliJ IDEA 6.0, see https://www.jetbrains.com/idea/features/newfeatures.html. With each registered license for IntelliJ IDEA 6.0 (whether a new-user license or an upgrade), users will receive a free license for TeamCity 1.0. A time-limited, fully functional evaluation copy of IntelliJ IDEA 6.0 may be downloaded from https://www.jetbrains.com/idea/download.
JetBrains is a technology-leading software development firm specializing in the creation of intelligent, productivity-enhancing software. The company is widely known for its innovative, award-winning Java integrated development environment, IntelliJTM IDEA (see details on the Web at https://www.jetbrains.com/idea/), ReSharper and dotTrace Profiler for C# developers (see https://www.jetbrains.com/resharper/ and https://www.jetbrains.com/profiler), and TeamCity collaboration environment for development teams (www.jetbrains.com/teamcity). JetBrains maintains its headquarters in Prague, Czech Republic, with its R&D labs located in St. Petersburg, Russia and Boston, Massachusetts. For more information, see https://www.jetbrains.com.
* * *
Note to Editors: JetBrains, IntelliJ and IntelliJ IDEA, TeamCity, dotTrace and ReSharper are trademarks or registered trademarks of JetBrains s.r.o. All other trademarks are the properties of their respective owners.
Worldwide Marketing Director
+7 812 930 6703