Eugene Toporov

We are happy to confirm that Android Studio, the new IDE for Android development that Google is developing in cooperation with JetBrains, is based on the IntelliJ Platform and the existing functionality of IntelliJ IDEA Community Edition.

IntelliJ IDEA had support for Android project for years, we have been paying attention to Android developers’ needs. That helped us to get more users with every release.

At JetBrains we’ve always aimed at creating a solid product that provided the best out-of-the-box experience possible. Its tons of productivity enhancements, leading code analysis engine and excellent user interface made IntelliJ IDEA stand out among the competition.

And we always were open for collaboration. We made our IntelliJ platform open source in 2009 and since then a couple of companies have built their development environments on top of it. We are happy to see that our efforts have been recognized by such a respected company as Google.

We worked tightly with Google to help them create the best possible experience for Android developers on top of IntelliJ platform. The result of the collaboration is Android Studio, which is available as a preview release today. We are sure that it will attract thousands of new developers to the platform and will make Android programming so much more pleasant.

This doesn’t mean we’re dropping Android support from the IntelliJ Community Edition. It will remain a free and open Java IDE with full Android support and will include the new features developed by both the Google and JetBrains teams. We will continue to work hard on the core IntelliJ experience as well as help improve Android Studio.

You can see the updated Android support in the Early Access Preview of IntelliJ IDEA v13 that is opened today. Please try it now and give us your feedback. This EAP build includes all of the new features of Android Studio except for the new project wizard and the AppEngine cloud endpoints integration. These latter features will also appear in our EAP builds in the coming weeks.

Comments below can no longer be edited.

130 Responses to IntelliJ IDEA is the base for Android Studio, the new IDE for Android developers

1. Douglas Morato says:

Where is the link to download Android Studio

2. Douglas Morato says:

The link to download Android Studio is here:

• آرش says:

May 20, 2013

because of sanctions i cant download andriod studio from google site.
      and these days all proxies and vpns don’t work in Iran.
      🙁

• Travis Uribe says:

May 24, 2013

For Iranians, download Android Studio for Windows here.

For Linux:
        here.

For Mac:
        here.

It will take a few minutes for the links to work after I post this.

• آرش says:

May 28, 2013

Many thanks

• ammar bozorgvar says:

August 13, 2013

thanks a lot

• Alborz Azizpour says:

August 20, 2013

Thanks a lot m8!!!
          This meant a lot to me.

• mehrdad says:

April 30, 2014

thank you so much brother!

• pouria says:

October 23, 2014

thanks bro

• Hossein says:

June 2, 2013

Use PM9 , it worked in iran

• هادی says:

July 9, 2013

من مجموعه کامل دارم

3. Andrew Molloy says:

The Android Studio EAP can be downloaded here:

4. Jamal Abdou-Karim Bengeloun says:

So…

Is IntelliJ + Android SDK = Android Studio or is Android Studio a thing on its own?

5. Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven says:

May 15, 2013

Jamal, see the last paragraph of this blog post?

6. Manuel says:

May 15, 2013

Using IntelliJ is the best choice for Android Development.

Congratulations and thanks to give us the best JAVA IDE for Android.

Regards.

• Eugene Toporov says:

Thanks Manuel!

7. Gilles says:

Once again, congrats!!!
    IDEA has been my IDE since v3.0.

• Kun Yue says:

same here, been using lovely IntelliJ as major IDE since v3.x 🙂

• Chris says:

Same here 🙂
        It’s a great IDE. With a couple of things missing but overall a lot of time saving stuff like mentioned in article.
        Tried sublime text 2 and that can’t do everything this does, not even with it’s many plugins.

• Towhidul Haque Roni says:

July 4, 2013

Same here 😀
          It is a really intelligent IDE especially for the refactoring, auto complete and for spring support 🙂
          I am always using it and promote among our colleague 😀

8. Craig belpedio says:

May 15, 2013

I’m so excited for these features to come to IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate. I got IntelliJ through the Mayan Doomsday sale and couldn’t be happier. I’m pleased that you guys are continuing to make Android development easier!

9. attrib says:

May 15, 2013

If IntelliJ IDEA Community Edition has the features of Android Studio, what is the difference then? Can I seamlasly swicth between both? Will it be the same?
    Or did they removed Java compatibily in Android Studio?

• Paul says:

May 15, 2013

Based on the last paragraph, IntelliJ does not have all the necessary components for Android development.

They will update to add them, but it will not be optimized for Android development, so Android Studio is preferable for Android development.

I’m also guessing that in the future, when Android Studio updates, IntelliJ will lag behind with updates (if ever updated).

Basically, stick to Android Studio for Android, and IntelliJ for non-Android development.

• Dmitry Jemerov says:

May 16, 2013

The lag that exists right now is just an unfortunate consequence of coordinating the releases for Google I/O. In the future, we expect Android Studio and IntelliJ IDEA to always be in sync.

• Dmitry Jemerov says:

May 16, 2013

The difference is that Android Studio is specifically focused on Android development. It does not remove any features available in IntelliJ IDEA Community Edition, but it changes some workflows to simplify setting up the environment and projects for Android. The two IDEs use the same project format, and you can switch between them seamlessly.

• Thomas Luzat says:

May 16, 2013

Can you give an example of where the workflows differ?

10. Jamal Abdou-Karim Bengeloun says:

May 15, 2013

@Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven I am just trying to assess whether I will be better off running both, i.e.

Android Studio for android development and IntelliJ for Scala, Clojure, etc.

OR

If I can keep my setup knowing that Google and Jetbrains are working together for one seamless experience.

I have read the last paragraph.

• Hadi Hariri says:

@Jamal

The latter.

11. pjmlp says:

May 15, 2013

What about support for NDK development, is anything like C and C++ components from AppCode be made available in Android Studio?

• Dmitry Jemerov says:

May 16, 2013

We do plan to support NDK development in IntelliJ IDEA when our C++ tools become more mature (some time next year most likely). As for plans to support NDK development in Android Studio, please ask the Google team.

• Rich Eakin says:

May 16, 2013

That is great to hear, we use the ndk for all android apps (as our framework is cross-platform C++) and, when compared to other mobile platforms, using it is quite painful because of the lack of decent IDE support. Also, so happy to see Jetbrains and Google working together!

• Björn Kautler says:

May 16, 2013

Just playing the devil’s advocate here, but first you say that AS and IJ should always be in sync in the future, but here you say it will diverge and we should ask Google for NDK support. I’m a bit confused.

Nevertheless it is great news that there is such a tight collaboration. My first thought when I read the news from I/O was whether AS is a stock IJ with a plugin that can also be used on stock IJ, because I like to also use IJ Ultimate features during android development and like to have the same settings, no matter whether I develop for Desktop or Android. 🙂

• Dmitry Jemerov says:

May 16, 2013

AS and IJ Community Edition should always be in sync. However, it’s very unlikely that full C/C++ development support is going to be part of IJ Community Edition.

• Rich Eakin says:

July 6, 2013

This makes sense to me – we all know how tough it is to add proper C++ support to an IDE, all that effort is worth purchasing the full edition in my opinion.

12. Gerardo Martinez says:

May 15, 2013

Hello, I downloaded the android studio for windows and it does not work, I have windows 7 Pro 64, anyone with the same problem?

• Rafael says:

May 15, 2013

Im having the same problem, Windows 8 x64, after install i try to launch android studio but nothing happen 🙁

• pjmlp says:

May 15, 2013

Make sure you have JAVA_HOME pointing to your JDK, but without quotes, something like:

JAVA_HOME=C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_21

• Gerardo Martinez says:

May 15, 2013

Many Thanks! 😀 It is working now for me!

• Rafael says:

Thanks it worked!!!!

• Phil says:

May 16, 2013

Havn’t tried it under Win8 but the same way with XP and it doesn’t want to start =/

via cmd -> set JAVA_HOME=C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_21

• Edi says:

May 15, 2013

Make sure you have an environment variable ANDROID_STUDIO_JDK, JDK_HOME or JAVA_HOME that points to a valid JDK installation.

13. David Leppik says:

May 15, 2013

Looks like https://blog.jetbrains.com/idea/ is missing, so the link to the Idea EAP is broken.

• Simen says:

May 16, 2013

blogS.jetbrains.com/idea/ with an s in blogs is the correct link.

14. Eno says:

May 15, 2013

It looks like, at least initially, until Android Studio hits a stable release, we wont see any new features from Studio in IntelliJ Ultimate for awhile. Sound about right?

I recently bought Ultimate specifically to switch to it for Android development so Im curious to have some idea of when we can expect updates to Ultimate.

• Dmitry Jemerov says:

May 16, 2013

The EAP build for IntelliJ IDEA 13 is available now and includes (almost) all of the new features of Android Studio. There are no plans to backport any of the new Android Studio features to version 12.1.

15. Aaron Newcomb says:

May 16, 2013

So … Android Studio is a code fork and they are contributing back to IntelliJ IDEA? They are being treated as two separate projects so I assume this is technically the case, correct? I am having trouble wrapping my mind around this otherwise.

16. bigCat says:

碾压 Eclipse …
    can’t wait for IDEA 13

17. Android開発者向けの新しいIDE、Android StudioはIntelliJ IDEAがベースです | サムライズム #Samuraism says:

May 16, 2013

[…] ・IntelliJ IDEA is the base for Android Studio, the new IDE for Android developers Android新しい開発環境であるAndroid […]

18. Google release Android Studio based on IntelliJ for Android Development - The Wireless Guy says:

May 16, 2013

[…] new Android Studio based on the Community Edition of IntelliJ was released yesterday at Google IO. This replaces the ADT Bundle based on Eclipse released last […]

19. Android Studio: An IDE built for Android in collaboration with JetBrains | Androcid | Online latest android news in india and world,android smartphone reviews and android app reviews says:

May 16, 2013

[…] now for you to try as an early access preview.To develop Android Studio, Google cooperated with JetBrains, creators of one of the most advanced Java IDEs available […]

20. Ethan says:

May 16, 2013

WOW, can’t wait to download. Great news. Thanks very much for all efforts

21. Ioannnis says:

May 16, 2013

Although this is great news for ‘droid developers, it worries me when Google sticks its snout in another company as , more often than not, it results in buyouts and the technology eventually festering or disappearing altogether..

• Eugene Toporov says:

May 17, 2013

Thanks for your feelings. But no worries.
      We see it as for the best of everyone, not just the ‘droid devs.

22. android studio 难道真的要代替Eclipse ADT了吗? - Android - 开发者问答 says:

May 16, 2013

[…] https://blog.jetbrains.com/blog/2013/05/15/intellij-idea-is-the-base-for-android-studio-the-new-ide-f… 回复:michaelye1988:不用再寄人篱下了,哈哈,赶紧体验一下。 回复:ostrichmyself:@michaelye1988 体验结果如何? […]

23. Bekir Onat AKIN says:

Hi,
    Recently I’ve sent a feature request to you about more android support. I had a quick response that says idea will have better support for android than eclipse in a year.
    I didn’t expect that much improvement on android. 🙂 So can you give a hint about Android Studio stable mature release? 3 months? 6 months?
    Thanks,
    keep up the great work.

• Eugene Toporov says:

May 17, 2013

We can only say that IntelliJ IDEA 13 will be released before the end of 2013, probably early in December. But we do not know the exact plans about the Android Studio. It is better to ask the Google team about it.

24. asteriskcoder says:

May 16, 2013

This video shows how to run a simple app using Android Studio

• Todd says:

June 14, 2013

I get an alert saying that Gradle won’t download when making a new project.

25. pavan says:

May 16, 2013

Great article.. This article might be useful.. Thanks for the post..! Nice Information you have provided..!

26. 安装Android Studio | 颿einverne says:

May 16, 2013

[…] Posted on 2013/05/16 by Ein Verne Google在 #IO13 上面发布了Android Studio,一款全新的Android开发IDE环境,撇开Eclipse+ADT。IO大会上面演示效果非常惊人,现在我来体验一下。 Getting […]

27. Spuchi says:

May 16, 2013

Will Android Studio be integrated into Idea Ultimate? I have a licence and I’m interested to know if I’ll have all the benefits of Android Studio (completion, checks, UI & translation preview, and so forth) in Idea Ultimate as I don’t want to keep two separate IDEs.

28. Angella Derington says:

May 16, 2013

I’m also curious about Ultimate-like support in Android Studio. We use TFS and require the Ultimate license for VCS integration. Will Android Studio have this option, or will I need to continue using Ultimate with the Android plugins?

29. Marc Stock says:

May 16, 2013

First off, congrats on your collaboration with Google to bring Android Studio to IntelliJ. I think that’s going to work out well for both of you.

However, if the only things really being added to 13 are Android related features, I won’t be upgrading. I don’t do Android development and right now 13 is shaping up to be pretty much an Android release.

I would love to see some new things in IntelliJ that would benefit all, like:

1) The ability to selectively deactivate modules without removing them from the project. I work in an environment where we have to have a lot of modules loaded but I don’t always need them all running all the time, so if I could have those modules temporarily excluded from compiling, searches and deployments, that would be fantastic. Eclipse has had this ability for a long time.

2) I would like to be able to maximize and unmaximize the console. Sometimes a tiny window for stack trace and logging statements just doesn’t cut it and I’m tired of having drag the window frame larger or hold down the hotkeys to do likewise.

3) Fix the memory leak or whatever it is that when you have multiple IntelliJs running or you flip between projects, that it eventually gets to the point where the CPU is pegged. This happens even if the OS itself has plenty of RAM left to work with. If you kill IntelliJ, everything goes back to normal.

I could go on, but that’s a start. I’m just hoping you haven’t forgotten the rest of us while you work on android. Thanks,

Marc

• Eugene Toporov says:

Thanks Marc!
      Naturally, lot’s of other things are planned for v13 outside Android support. Stay tuned for the updates in future EAP builds.

30. Colin Kershaw says:

May 16, 2013

Great news, and well deserved. More people developing with pleasure!

31. Robert Demmer says:

May 16, 2013

IntelliJ IDEA Blog has posted an FAQ that may help answer more of your questions. Go to: IntelliJ IDEA and Android Studio FAQ

32. Danko Alexeyev says:

May 16, 2013

whew, for a moment there I thought Google bought JetBrains )

“in cooperation” is good.

33. John Lockwood says:

May 16, 2013

I was really glad to hear this news. More Idea market share is a good thing for the Java community, and this news out of Google can only lead that way.

Cheers,

John

34. Tilman Rossmy says:

May 16, 2013

Great news, hope that this is only the first of many steps to break up the depressing domination of Eclipse.

35. Can I Paint It Black? says:

May 16, 2013

Can the background color be made black? Brown/grey whatever serves only to reduce contrast. Fine for artsy-fartsies who aim to please the unknowning, but we are not in that crowd. We are a practical bunch.

• Eugene Toporov says:

Please try Settings->Appearance->Theme=Darcula

36. Swait says:

May 17, 2013

That’s great news, looking forward to work on Android studio.

37. Werner says:

May 17, 2013

I’m not a Intellij user and use Eclipse ADT/ant to do my Android project. However, I’m fairly neutral if it comes to development environments as long as they work and are usable. Currently Android studio is IMHO useless for projects that are somewhat bigger then simple Hello world type projects.

I’ve tried to port over a medium sized project that uses ABS and followed the hints given by Google (producing the gradle build files for my project and for ABS, etc) and tried to import my project, ABS, into studio and use ABS module as dependency. Failed, maybe it’s a problem because I have the ABS in the same directory structure as my project (it’s git sub-module), who knows. Maybe I need to edit the gradle files to add some dependency statements, however it was not possible to do it with the UI

Also the whole build process is not really working yet, getting errors about incompatibilities with gradle libraries and/or plugins etc.

IMHO they have a *lot* to do to make a swing-over from Eclipse to Intellij more seamless, in particular given the fairly large difference in the UI concepts between Eclipse and Intellij.

I’m not sure how the change to the gradle build system will work out for larger projects that have fully automated nightly builds that are currently use ant with Jenkins for example.

38. Chris Bel says:

May 17, 2013

What type of source control is supported. In Eclipse I used SVN.

39. babyduncan says:

May 17, 2013

may i use ideaIU for free ?

40. Cary B says:

May 17, 2013

Great news! I’ve been a fan of IntelliJ for many years and I’m tired of seeing every Android book using Eclipse. IDEA is a superior platform and it’s awesome to see it affirmed in this manner.

41. adam says:

great work baby.

42. guari says:

May 18, 2013

“…leading code analysis engine and excellent user interface made IntelliJ IDEA stand out among the competition.”

Just an hint: it would be really usefull if it’ll be improved the font rendering in the whole editor, since it’s based on java Swing. Coding into an IDE where fonts are rendered aliased and with bad hinting isn’t so good for an ‘excellent user interface’, it will be great to patch it to use the same font render engine used by the system like eg SWT does.

• guari says:

May 19, 2013

on linux, I finally got it working with a PERFECT font rendering (I’m on a high-dpi display), to achieve this you have to:

– Install and use Oracle JDK (I’m using 1.7) and not OpenJDK (also the patched one with fontfix was useless for me);

– Edit the file studio.vmoptions and for 64bit studio64.vmoptions by adding these lines without quotes:
      “-Dawt.useSystemAAFontSettings=on”
      “-Dswing.aatext=true”
      “-Dsun.java2d.xrender=true”

– Remove hinting informations from the font that you would like to use and select the new font into Android Studio preferences (Setting->Editor->Font); if you don’t know how to do this, install FontForge then:
      1. Open your font in FontForge
      2. Select all glyphs via Ctrl+A and clear all hints (Hints -> Clear Hints)
      3. Select glyphs again and use Hints -> Clear Instruction
      4. Save the font with different name ( File -> Generate Fonts)
      5. Install the new font, select it in IDEA

• Nirjhar says:

June 7, 2013

guari,

would you please show a screen shot of your work?

• guari says:

June 30, 2013

Here is a screenshoot:
          (there is a little image compression applied by the server)

Fonts used are LucidaMAC for the main IDE and Ubuntu Mono with removed hinting informations for the code editor.

• dan says:

June 7, 2013

This should be carved to stone. Thanks for the tip.

For me it was just enough to switch to Sun JDK and edit the studio64.vmoptions file. No FontForge magic was needed. I’m on Fedora 18 running a recent KDE with fonts configured to “Sans Serif”.

• guari says:

June 30, 2013

I forgot to write, if you followed the above tips and you’re experiencing lags when fast scrolling the code try removing the line
        -Dsun.java2d.xrender=true
        in studio/studio64.vmoptions

• bloke says:

July 3, 2013

I love you.

Works on Windows as well 🙂 The part with removing font hints did some awesome magic.

It would be great if this was on Super User as well, so people could find it more easily 🙂

I’ve just posted a question on Super user, could you please answer it there, just copy-paste this 🙂 A million thanks!

43. teddy says:

May 18, 2013

A big BRAVO for you guys !

44. Top 6 Announcements at Google IO 2013 | Androcid says:

May 20, 2013

[…] develop Android Studio, Google Incorporated with JetBrains, creators of one of the most advanced Java IDEs available today. In case you wish to check out the […]

45. Dario Alvarez says:

May 22, 2013

Excelent news and congratulations guys!!!!!!!

46. Yuriy says:

May 22, 2013

Android Studio does not launching even after setting in JAVA_HOME and in PATH pathes to JDK and JRE and %android-sdk%\tools\

(When I clicking on the launch icon or on studio.exe nothing is happens. No reaction.)

Environment:
    Windows 7 x64
    JDK, JRE 1.7

47. Paul Read says:

May 23, 2013

Delightful – no ‘perspectives’ to get in the way of dev!

48. rudifus says:

May 23, 2013

thx guari – font hint works well on linux :o)

49. Brian says:

May 27, 2013

awesome

50. Neogene says:

May 28, 2013

Finally Google understood that Eclipse is really a mess for developing Android apps (really slow and full of bugs), i was using it only for this purpose and many times the day i’m forced to close it, restart, clean etc etc. Finally Google is going in the right direction using your editor.

51. ALI says:

May 28, 2013

Great IDE but i have problem with that we cannot veiw our all projects in package explorer like in Eclipes

• Robert Demmer says:

May 28, 2013

ALI, if you haven’t seen this document yet you might want to have a look at this article on Project Organization

52. axel says:

May 29, 2013

hi mmm.. i have a error it’s say : project not found someone can help me ?

53. create An Android App says:

May 30, 2013

Touche. Great arguments. Keep up the great effort.

My web blog :: create An Android App

54. James Ng says:

June 4, 2013

Hi,

I have encountered a problem with the Android Studio not able to find the SDK. I am running the studio on Mac and when I click on the SDK manager, a message telling me to specify the SDK. I checked in terminal that the SDK is at where it should be so I don’t understand why the studio cannot locate it.

I have also checked my project structure and the SDK is listed in the platform settings.

Truly appreciate any kind of help. Thank you very much.

• James Ng says:

June 4, 2013

I have managed to answer my question. I need to manually set the SDK in the project structure as my project is imported from eclipse.

55. 编译路漫漫 » Thinking on the new Android IDE says:

June 8, 2013

[…] IDE, 从 Eclipse 切换到了 IntelliJ IDEA, 并推出了许多新的功能. 从相关的博客[1][3]和介绍视频[2]中可以看到, Android Studio IDE 相比过去 Eclipse/ADT 而言, 在 UI […]

56. Inside Darcula L&F: An Interview with Konstantin Bulenkov | JetBrains Company Blog says:

June 11, 2013

[…] Also, Darcula looks great in code samples and demos on the big screen. Google I/O 2013 proved that with Android Studio (based on IntelliJ Platform)! […]

57. Gutemberg Ribeiro says:

June 15, 2013

Hi!

Great work with this new project. Saved us a lot of time against Eclipse.

So, we are using TFS as our source control repository and I found this plugin on your repository http://plugins.jetbrains.com/plugin?pluginId=4578 and it says that Android Studio is supported by it.

I´ve downloaded it and installed on Preferences panel. But after restart the IDE, it shows RED and say that I need Ultimate version. So, will it become available and supported? Since TFS Services is free for us, would be awesome to have at least basic functionalities like check in and check out working in a “free” version of this plugin.

Thanks a lot!

Regards…

Gutemberg

• Dmitry Jemerov says:

June 17, 2013

The TFS plugin is only intended to be available for IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate and other commercial IntelliJ Platform-based IDEs. I’ve updated the metadata of the plugin accordingly.

Normally we don’t provide separate “free” and “non-free” versions of version control plugins, and we have no plans to do so for TFS. You can either upgrade to IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate, which fully supports both Android development and TFS, or set up external tools (Settings | External Tools) to perform basic TFS operations.

58. Inside Darcula L&F: An Interview with Konstantin Bulenkov | 天天三国杀 says:

June 21, 2013

59. Aaron S says:

July 11, 2013

At my company I’d love to use this, but we require TFS integration and I don’t feel like petitioning for the $500 for Ultimate Edition. So, sadly, for now I am using Eclipse still for Android development.

60. Android Studio | Dev @ Work says:

July 26, 2013

[…] Google I/O, and it is evolving quickly. I have to say I am blown away by how good it is. It is based on the Community Edition of IntelliJ IDEA, an open source […]

61. Google 要出android studio啦 - 程序员 - 开发者第973071个问答 says:

August 15, 2013

[…] https://blog.jetbrains.com/blog/2013/05/15/intellij-idea-is-the-base-for-android-studio-the-new-ide-f… 回复:hooluupog:这给那些不想用eclipse的又多了一个选择。 回复:iamxhu:@hooluupog Intellij IDEA本身早就支持Android开发了,不知道Google能做出些什么不同? 本条目发布于 2013 年 5 月 16 日。属于 程序员 分类。作者是 admin。 0 次浏览 document.getElementById("bdshell_js").src = "http://bdimg.share.baidu.com/static/js/shell_v2.js?cdnversion=" + Math.ceil(new Date()/3600000) […]

62. Information Technology Fars News says:

December 4, 2013

[…] turn, JetBrains folded some of the developments that Google made for Android Studio back into the IntelliJ IDEA itself. […]

63. Mahdi says:

December 5, 2013

Intellij IDEA is the BEST IDE for Java Developers 🙂
    I Just Want to say Special Thanks to JetBrains Developers for these Great Softwares they Made.

Thanks

64. stereomatch says:

December 30, 2013

I am hearing over on the eyes-free google group that the new Android IDE is woefully inadequate for use by the blind. That is, Accessibility support is poor to the point of not even being evaluatable – i.e. basics are not in place.

I realize that the Android IDE or Android Studio is still in early access stage – but is there any move by Google to improve this situation. Thanks.

Though I realize now what the answer is going to be – ask Google. How does one get answers from Google (difficult).

65. stereomatch says:

December 30, 2013

I should have asked is IntelliJ IDEA going to have better Accessibility support in the future – or do you expect some contributions from Google in this regard that will go into IntelliJ etc.

Happy New Year.

66. Ramadani says:

February 4, 2014

hi, I want to ask. whether intellij IDEA free version (Community Edition) can be used for development of android application? thank you

• Eugene Toporov says:

February 4, 2014

But of course! IntelliJ IDEA Community Edition is a fully functional IDE for Android development. The features developed for Android Studio appear in IntelliJ IDEA as well.

67. IntelliJ IDEA and Android Studio FAQ | JetBrains IntelliJ IDEA Blog says:

April 18, 2014

[…] received a large number of questions related to yesterday’s announcement of Android Studio, and we’ve decided to compile the answers in a FAQ […]

68. Somnath says:

May 4, 2014

The day is not far when Android Studio will be more popular than Eclipse between Android Java developers, IntelliJIdea Rocks!!!

69. zhyuan says:

November 21, 2014

I am trying to use latest version of Android Studio 0.8.14, but it is REALLY slow when trying to drag and drop GUI items in the design panel…
    CPU and Memory consumption works as expected, no idea what went wrong, may anyone help here?

70. JetBrains 2014: The Year in Review | JetBrains Company Blog says:

February 11, 2015

[…] again back in time to May 2013 when Google announced their selection of IntelliJ IDEA as the base of Android Studio. Well, in December, the highly anticipated Android Studio 1.0 release hit the virtual shelves! […]

71. TBBT says:

May 24, 2015

Hi jetbrains team,

I started using Android Studio from eclipse and I found it built my project very very slow, sometimes even 10 minutes per time. Instead of it, Eclipse built fairly fast. Are there any problems with the IDE.

72. Javier N. says:

July 22, 2015

I decided to use IDEA again. I tried to use Google’s modified version for a while, but kept getting frustrated that it took too long to compile simple programs. So I am back to using IDEA.

73. Sam Ramezanli says:

December 22, 2015

Hi,

After the recent update of Android Studio, I’m no longer able to smart zoom using my Macbook pro’s pad. I used this feature to easily zoom-in and zoom-out inside the code. It was the best thing I liked about Android Studio but its gone now the only way to do it is by using the Command+Scrolling which I’m not used to.

Can you please tell me how I can fix this issue?

Thanks
    Sam,

74. FABIO says:

February 15, 2017

Android Studio is a joke. I’ve worked with many IDEs but AS is the worst.

75. Why is Android Studio still such a gruesome embarrassment? - TrendingCrunch says:

February 19, 2017

[…] problem, of course, is that Android Studio was not built from scratch; it’s based on the long-in-the-tooth IntelliJ IDEA platform, a Java IDE … and, well, you can tell. It feels like […]

76. paul says:

April 27, 2017

This is the suckiest IDE I have used in 20 years of development .
    You spend twice as much time configuring this piece of crap than you do actually developing.
    This was a big step backwards from the eclipse plug in.

Screw google and android. Stick to Apple.