CLion EAP news: CMake 3.1, STL renderers in debugger, PTY and more

Hi everyone,

Today we are extremely excited to present you a new CLion EAP build. It’s been some really busy weeks for our team, and we can’t wait any longer. Download the new build from our confluence page right away, and share your feedback with us. We’re eager to know what you think!

CMake 3.1
The long-awaited feature has arrived – CLion includes bundled CMake 3.1.2 now! This is done for all platforms, including Cygwin case on Windows (thus Cygwin users can select between old CMake from Cygwin packet or CLion’s bundled version). Feel free to report any issues with it to us.

In this build we’ve also reviewed toolchains’ supported versions. To make it short here is the list of tools with supported versions you need with CLion:

• CMake 2.8.11-3.1.*, make
  • GCC/G++ or Clang on OS X and Linux, MinGW 32/64 3.* or Cygwin 1.7.* on Windows
  • GDB: 7.8.*

GNU STL renderers
You can now benefit from STL renderers in the CLion’s integrated debugger in case you are using GCC. In case of Clang it works for libstdc++ only. Set the CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS in CMakeLists.txt to use it:
set(CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS “${CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS} -stdlib=libstdc++”)

Now you are able to inspect the STL containers during your debug session:
This feature is switched on by default, you can switch it off in Preferences/Settings | Build, Execution, Deployment | Debugger | Enable GNU C++ library renderers.

PTY in CLion
CLion uses PTY as an I/O unit now (while running your project, not debugging). And that means that many problems associated with standard input/output should have gone. CLion still mixes the order of stdout and stderr that causes some inconveniences, however huge improvement was made in general.

On Windows some side effects and problems are more probable because of the lack of PTYs on Windows and the workaround used to resolve this. Please, report any issue you meet with I/O.

In case of big inconveniences or problems feel free to switch it off. In Find Action dialog type Registry and untick run.processes.with.pty parameter there.

Editor enhancements
This build also improves HiDPI support for Windows/Linux. Most icons and fonts are scaled proportionally, no blur appears now.
Using CLion from now try a brand-new distraction-free mode. Nothing prevents you from pure coding – no toolbars, no tool windows, no editor tabs, the code is center-aligned. To turn it on, click View | Enter Distraction Free Mode.

Synchronous tag editing in HTML and XML
If you use CLion for HTML and XML editing as well, you’ll be glad to hear that a fantastic feature has arrived – edit any tag in your code and CLion will fix the corresponding opening/closing tag for you. It’s on by default, but can be switched off in Preferences/Settings | Editor | General | Smart Keys. Follow the link to watch a small demo.

There is also a huge list of smaller fixes available in our tracker.

Waiting for your feedback impatiently,
The CLion Team

This entry was posted in Early Access Preview and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

47 Responses to CLion EAP news: CMake 3.1, STL renderers in debugger, PTY and more

1. wl.nicholas says:

People who use googleflags/gflags in daily development, please vote for this issue: It’s kind of annoying and should not take too much energy to fix it. All we need to do is draw the developers’ attention. Hope this issue get fixed before the 1.0 release.

2. NaN says:

Did you guys just attribute the Ada language to Ada Lovelace?!

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

We respect Ada Lovelace and her contribution greatly. She was really a prominent person. Here this is just a short sample, don’t take it too seriously.

3. Roman says:

Great Update!
    I’ve noticed that my pretty printers for SystemC work as well, if specified in gdbinit.

Have not tried Qt yet, they have them bundled with QtCreator:qtcreator/share/qtcreator/debugger/*.py

4. cgarcia says:

Nice, the IDE is getting better!

Hope it can solve the brace initializer issues in the editor soon.

5. Uh says:

I downloaded the latest build and noticed strange behavior.
    When I run a program like this the cout isn’t printed out until i enter the number, after which “Hello: ” is shown. When I add an endl, it works as expected. When I run the first program in cmd, it shows no such behavior. Using cygwin 1.7.34 on Windows 8.
    Any tips to solve this issue?

6. Vlad says:

I cannot make GNU STL renderers work under no circumstance. I compile and link with g++4.9.2 (OS X), and I make sure it uses libstdc++ (and it does, as otool -L ./a.out shows me).

The only way I can use it is to compile with clang++ and use the set(CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS “${CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS} -stdlib=libstdc++”) in my CMakeLists.txt

Is there any workaround for the g++?

7. Adrian says:

This update looks really good except for the fact that CLion now starts some kind of background tasks that use a lot of CPU relatively often, making my notebook’s fan become quite noisy. There is no indication of anything happening on the status bar and, after 2-3 minutes, CPU use drops to low levels. Prior EAP versions didn’t do this on my system. Is there any way to determine what is causing this high CPU use when it happens?

I’m running Windows 8.1 64 bit, 16 GB RAM.

8. Mayukh Sarkar says:

Good to see that you guys are working for the stability for the is much more faster & snappier…although sometiomes lags in code completion which I believe can be done away with few more updates, I still have some points that are yet to come I eagerly wait for those..Hope my persistent ciriticism will hope you make Clion better instead of considering me as a pessimistic chap..

1st…Why a simple feature like class implementation is being ignored over & over again?? I guess this has been the most asked request ever..Please include it in upcoming version.

2nd..This one is not so much inportant but will look cool..When we open braces, I get an automatic closing brace but doesn’t look as fancy as it is in Xcode…yellow background with beautiful & short animation..Hope this soon comes in the upcoming version..& moreover sorry for asking a feature which is so stupid but I had to ask for it..

3rd..Finally this one is very serious…I am an hardcore embedded linux developer & I work with Raspberry Pi or BeagleBonge over SSH..I have to use vim & terminal over in the remote SSH client board..If we can get an interface in clion to connect a linux system like these boards, create a c++ project from my local PC into the board over SSH & then compile, build & debug the code & all from clion, then clion will be the 2nd IDE in the world which will be capable of doing this after eclipse where it is very complicated to do…
    Lastly sorry if I have overwhelmed anybody…

• Syndog says:

I agree with Mayukh’s 1st point. Class implementation strikes me as a staple for any IDE. You guys are shooting for release in the next few months, but its continued absence still makes me raise an eyebrow. I trust this isn’t something you plan on overlooking for the 1.0 release…?

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

Thanks for the feedback.
      About the 1st – we’ll do for sure before 1.0. We still have tasks with slightly higher priority to be done, but be sure we’ll come to this shortly.
      2nd – could you please describe here:
      3rd – We have a corresponding feature request (, but because of the limited resources it’s not in the queue for 1.0 release.

9. Anatoly Kalin says:

Эхх, всё ещё ломается совсем на моих “глупых картинках” (были написаны для тестирования возможности gcc собирать строки commpile-time ещё до времён constexpr + UDL)

Этот код честно компилируется и выполняется (ну может, только не с помощью Visual Studio)

Обидно, что не видит явные типы и алиасы неймспейсов.
    Зато стал номально распознавать MinGW, которые положили ручками (обычно без msys и прочего)

Спасибо за хорошую альтернативу существующим IDE. Жду не дождусь хорошо пропечённого CLion =)

10. Anton says:

CLion is getting better and better with each release, great work! But I faced with terrible text editor performance, even when all inspections are turned off. Please, fix text editor performance as it is the main part of the IDE. It’s very annoying to type text like typing through very poor ssh connection. Thanks!

11. Masumi says:

I’m new user before this I use automake and autoconf to make a package and compile it and use vim to edit sources I’m glad to use CLion and It’s very user friendly environment but it’s confilict with previus version of my packge because of automake and autoconf. how can I migrate from them to CLion ?.
    Other problem that I want to edit my source in Ubuntu and compile it in CentOS so I need Deployment functionality to upload files to other server to compile. May It Possible ?

12. Alexander says:

I’ve a source file which code inspection marks as too complex. What is “too complex” for CLion? First manual inspection doesn’t show any strange or difficult constructions in the C file. The file is over 1000 lines, is that related?

13. Hi!
    What would you estimate to be the sales price for the final product?
    And, will there be a “community” edition?

There are so many great and free environments to develop C in when using Linux, so if the price point is too high I rather keep using my good old stuff.
    And I’m probably not the only one thinking in those terms if their using Linux.

Windows users on the other hand is in desperate need of a good plain C
    (not C++ focused) programming environment that actually works with the latest standard compilers and that can help with linking 3rd party libs et cetera.

14. Johannes says:

Please, provide an option to disable the aut0-include feature. It is super annoying that one has to constantly manually remove bogus includes… this is already filed in the issue tracker.

15. lmiguelmh says:

I’ve installed CLion in my system and I am using it for a project with OpenCV+Qt5+MinGw. First, I love CLion!

There are some minor “bugs” that I’ve encountered:
    1. When using Qt instances (QString for example): you can’t rename the variable if you are in the line where the variable is defined (“Cannot perform refactoring. Selected constructor is not located inside project”), but if you move to any other line where you are using it, then you can.
    2. When changing the UI Theme you will have to select twice one item of the combo, then the “Apply” button will activate.
    3. Changing CMakeLists.txt will always “reload” all the project, in big projects this will take some time, this is comprehensible if you change “include_directories” for example but what if you only want to set a variable or change some name or add some source file. Will it need to reload all?

Well, thanks and keep up the good work!
    I will write here if I encounter other errors…

• lmiguelmh says:

I forgot to mention that I am using Windows 7 and I’ve installed the latest version of CLion…

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

Thanks for the feedback.

1. Please report with some sample to reproduce to our tracker:
      2. That sounds weird. Could you also report an issue with some short screencast of what you are doing?
      3. You can switch the auto-reload off, in CMake settings (Settings | Build, Execution, Deployment | CMake)

16. Yury V. Zaytsev says:

Since I’ve upgraded to this EAP, I have the notice “Indent options for the file are overwritten by Automatic indent options detector / OK – Disable for all files” appearing all the time when I open files that have a different indenting style than the one defined for this project. My project includes several subprojects that follow their own indentation style, so this option is very welcome, but is there any possibility to stop this annoying message from showing? I have acknowledged it once, and I don’t want ever to be reminded of it. I couldn’t find anything in the Settings to that effect…

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

Try to set Editor | Code Style | Detect and use existing file indents for editing

• Yury V. Zaytsev says:

Hi Anastasia, as far as I understand, this checkbox enables or disables this feature altogether. I want to have the feature enabled, but only suppress the notification message that comes up when you open a file. Imagine a situation, when you have to follow the definitions in a subproject (i.e. imported as a git submodule) that uses a different indenting style from the main project. You get tired of the damn message very quickly after opening first few hundred files…

17. alex says: