CLion 2019.2 EAP: GDB Server for Embedded Debugging
A new CLion 2019.2 EAP build (192.4787.12) is now available. Download the full build from our site, install it via the Toolbox App, or use a snap package if you are using Ubuntu. A patch-update for those using the previous EAP build will be available shortly.
On-Chip debug with GDB Server
As we announced previously, Embedded Development support is one of our main areas of focus right now. We already had some results to show you in v2019.1, with OpenOCD support and integration with STM32CubeMX, along with major improvements in the debugger like the Memory View.
We are now working on further improvements for general embedded debugging and a peripheral view. In this EAP build, we’ve implemented and polished a Run/Debug configuration for On-Chip debug with GDB Server. This covers such cases as:
- Using OpenOCD as a standalone GDB Server
- Using ST GDB Servers (you can get an OS version of the tools on GitHub)
- Using Segger J-Link GDB Server
- Using QEMU as a GDB Server
- Any other specific GDB Server
To get into debugging with GDB Server on your MCU, follow the simple steps:
- Get a GDB Server installed on your machine.
- Create an Embedded GDB Server Run/Debug configuration in CLion, and provide an executable path, arguments to run the server, and other appropriate settings:
- Debug from CLion using this new Embedded GDB Server configuration:
Other notable changes include:
- CMake 3.14.5 is now bundled.
- For remote projects: changes introduced to the project externally (from outside the IDE) are now automatically synchronized to the remote host.
- The Member function can be static inspection was updated to avoid false positives in macros, for example when a Boost test macro is used (CPP-16229).
- The quick-fix that simplifies an expression was updated to behave correctly on ternary operator (CPP-16372).
The full release notes are available here.
Your CLion Team
The Drive to Develop
Subscribe to Blog updates
Thanks, we've got you!
The CLion 2023.3 Early Access Program Is Open
We recently shared our preliminary plans for v2023.3, which we plan to release at the end of November. We are now happy to announce that the CLion 2023.3 Early Access Program (EAP) starts today! Our EAP lets the community participate in discussions devoted to our products and influence the developm…
CLion 2023.2.2 Bug-Fix Update
The CLion bug-fix update 2023.2.2 is now available! The fixes included in this bug-fix update are listed below. Download build 232.9921.42 from our website, through the Toolbox App, as a snap package for Ubuntu, or via a patch from inside the IDE. DOWNLOAD CLION This update’s main highlights includ…
CLion 2023.2.1 Bug-Fix Update
The CLion bug-fix update 2023.2.1 is now available! If you haven’t yet upgraded to v2023.2, now is definitely a good time to do so! The key enhancements in the major 2023.2 update include: The Beta version of AI Assistant is now available as a plugin with limited access. Streamlined integratio…