CLion 2020.1 Reaches Beta

Anastasia Kazakova

CLion 2020.1 goes Beta! To install build 201.6668.10, download it from the website, update from our Toolbox App, get it through a snap package (if you are using Ubuntu), or use a patch update.

DOWNLOAD CLION 2020.1 BETA

Find the main highlights below.

Code completion

In the previous EAP build, completion that’s based only on Clangd became the default. This behavior is controlled by the Code Completion setting in Settings/Preferences | Languages & Frameworks | C/C++ | Clangd.

To improve your user experience with completion, we’re introducing a few fixes in this Beta:

• Completion suggestions in the context of a template parameter list are now more accurate (the typedef keyword is no longer on top, CPP-19085).
  • Completion in type aliases is more accurate as well (thanks to removing constructors from the using context, CPP-19171).
  • CLion can now complete folders that are symlinks.
  • Completion for int has been improved (CPP-19520).

Other fixes

• For compilation database projects, when CLion collects compiler information it now filters out some flags that do not affect the information requested. -MD and -MMD flags are good examples as they generate dependency files and might clutter the project directories with unnecessary compiler-file*.d.
  • For Python, the notification ‘Configure Python interpreter’ will now open a settings window (CPP-19536).

More fixes from the IntelliJ Platform have also made their way into this Beta. The full release notes are available here.

Your CLion team
JetBrains
The Drive to Develop

Comments below can no longer be edited.

24 Responses to CLion 2020.1 Reaches Beta

1. Taw says:

March 25, 2020

I think it’s far from beta, the IDEA guys have some bugs and exceptions to fix.

2. Real says:

March 26, 2020

In previous version of Clion EAP, I found sometimes the `CMake` Tab will disappear forever, so projects cannot be reloaded and congfiguration cannot be changed! The only way I could do is uninstalling it and deleting all caches. Now I’ve return to 2019.3.5. I don’t know whether this bug has been fixed.

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

March 27, 2020

Hm, unfortunately, we are unaware of this bug. Have you reported it?

• Real says:

March 30, 2020

I don’t report it because I’ m not running EAP build currently. I will try the offical release of 2020.1 and see whether the same bug will happen.

• Vitaly says:

April 1, 2020

I saw it, but usually, if you kill cmake generated directory and .ide folder then start CLion, then everything back again. Not a huge issue, it good to regenerate files from time to time. You don’t need to uninstall CLion.

You need to make sure that CLion not running before you delete the folder, otherwise it not helps, don’t understand why.

• Real says:

April 4, 2020

Thanks for your advice. I did delete the cmake-build-* and .idea folders in Clion’s projects tab. That’s why the cmake tab missed!

3. Taw says:

March 27, 2020

I still have a big delay when typing some CMake files, 2-3 seconds delay, I updated CPP-16207

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

March 27, 2020

Thanks, we’ll check

4. Mustafa Bayramov says:

March 29, 2020

Folks,

Please fix CPU time, it 600 during resolving symbols. It takes 5-6 min to open a project. I have 32 memory, and it almost impossible to code with clion. I think the entire issue started for about six months. You need to profile code and check all the threads. Plus, set affinity on the thread doesn’t kill the whole system.

When I switch inspector off (NONE) an IDE becomes much more stable, but that makes CLIOn just editor.

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

March 30, 2020

Have you reported a CPU snapshot to us? It would be great to check which particular analyzer checks are eating the CPU time.

5. Taw says:

April 1, 2020

Anastasia, is there a chance that CPP-19354 or/and CPP-19620 to be fixed?
    Short version: on the projects that I don’t have .clang-format it automatically sets ClangFormat enabled, the “tab” size becomes 2 instead of 4. If I disable it, it works ok.

So for me it’s a ping-pong on enabling-disabling ClangFormat depending on the projects, otherwise I am stuck with tab size 2.

Thanks

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

April 1, 2020

We’ll try to fix this for the bug-fix update. It’s unlikely we’ll be able to fit into the release.

6. Helge Penne says:

April 1, 2020

What happened to the log file directory in this build? I would expect a .CLion2020.1/system/log directory, but it is nowhere to be seen.

This beta is not up to your usual quality standards. It performs worse than your EAP releases. It freezes a lot, and now it just locked up and crashed while typing in the editor.

Not good.

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

April 1, 2020

To locate logs/thread dumps, you can use Help | Show Log in and it will open the updated directories.
      Please report the thread and crash dumps to us, so that we can investigate.

7. Karthik says:

April 2, 2020

Are you going to fix CPP-18921 before the release? This was a regression not present in 2019.3 and only present in 2020.1 EAP builds

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

April 2, 2020

On it. Will try to provide an estimation in the ticket. If we are not able to fix for the release build, we’ll do our best to include into a bug-fix update. Thanks

8. ilya b says:

April 2, 2020

Congrats on the great EAP release. Performance is good, clangd completion is now as close to perfect as possible.

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

April 3, 2020

Thanks a lot!

9. Roman says:

April 2, 2020

Do you plan to support recently introduced MACROs for selecting executable to run?
    Currently I don’t find any way to select executable relative to build directory, so I have to create separate run configurations for each build configuration.

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

April 3, 2020

Hm, but executable is located exactly in the build directory and CLion picks it up there. So when another CMake profile with the different generation path is selected, the proper binary is used. Or am I missing something in your setup?

• Roman Popov says:

April 13, 2020

In my setup some executables are created with add_custom_command / add_custom_target, and Clion does not find them. So some macro would help here to deal with build configs

• Semyon Kolton says:

April 13, 2020

We didn’t consider this feature before, but it looks like a very reasonable request. I created ticket for it https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/CPP-19872
          Please upvote and describe your use-case there