Announcing Gogland – Brand New Go IDE from JetBrains

Three years ago we at JetBrains made a strategic decision to contribute to go-lang-idea-plugin, the open-source initiative aimed at building an IntellIJ plugin for Go. Over these three years we believe our efforts (3,000 commits in total) have helped rebuild the plugin from the ground up, giving users a more stable, extensible and feature-rich development experience.

Last year we started tracking the number of unique users of the plugin. This number has doubled in the last year alone up to 30K monthly active users. This fact, along with lots of users asking us to bring IntellIJ-like coding experience to Go, convinced us to finally fork go-lang-idea-plugin half a year ago and introduce our own IDE for Go. We assembled a dedicated team to work on improving Go tools support and overall development experience.

Today we announce Gogland, a brand new Go IDE and the latest addition to the IntelliJ family. Though Gogland is still under heavy development, today we’re opening its private EAP (Early Access Program), so you have a chance to become an early Gogland adopter.

bb38acfc-1724-4058-a302-2723f5797ffd

For more about Gogland, please visit its official website. Also consider reading the FAQ.

To gain access to early builds of Gogland, please sign up for the EAP.

Note that Gogland is a codename and not the final product name. Send us your name ideas and suggestions!

The Gogland IDE Team

About Andrey Cheptsov

Part-time dreamer. JVM/JavaScript geek. IntelliJIDEA Marketing Manager at JetBrains.
This entry was posted in New Features, Releases. Bookmark the permalink.

50 Responses to Announcing Gogland – Brand New Go IDE from JetBrains

1. Paweł Motyl says:

Will the *full* functionality of the new IDE be available in IDEA as a plugin?

2. That’s a really good news! Your IDEs are really handy and powerful. I know http://wordsafety.com/ doesn’t trigger this word, but you should know that “gland” in french means Fruit of the oak and also means the tip of a penis 😉 Anyway, good job for this, nice products!

3. It sounds like the end of go-lang-idea-plugin as an opensource product, or the plugin will stay available for Community Edition users?

4. Diogo says:

Yeaaaaaaaaaah, great news!

5. Anindya Chatterjee says:

That’s a really good news. But it creates one question, what would happen to the original opensource plugin? I see zolotov and ignatov are making continuous contribution to that project. Will we get regular releases of that plugin aligned with this IDE release?

6. JsT says:

Great news indeed :)

Gogland is actually pretty good name, like Go Google Land. Development land for all Google Go fans :)

7. Mr Bean says:

Heh… sounds like “gag-land” :)) Guys, you should be careful in naming!

8. hinst says:

Good but too late, VS Code is already 100% capable IDE for Go that can do everything u need

9. Richard says:

How about GoProductive?

it is better than GoFast or GoJet, since it also implies better code quality (although GoFast and GoJet sound better). With crapy code quality developers are not really productive.

GoExcel has wrong associations to an MS product.
    Alternatives:
    GoStrong
    GoSteady
    GoQuantumLeap
    GoEfficiently
    GoStressFree

and the possible winner is:
    GoForPro, Go4Pro which could be both for PROfessional and for PROductivity !

10. Revertron says:

Waiting for the Rust IDE, guys! :)

11. Brian Noll says:

Hi Gabriel,
    Thank you for the comment. Gogland is not the final name of the IDE, as it just an internal project name at this point.

12. Gleb Dolgich says:

Gogland = a gland that produces Go code :-)

13. Vadim says:

Ideas for name:

– Gopher (I think this fits best).
    – GoRun (yeah, Skechers GOrun)
    – GoSpark

But really, not Gogland. It sounds scary, and people can’t remember/pronounce it right. It’s just awful.

14. I got an invite from you yesterday and so far it’s boring. But boring in a good way, because I used WebStorm with the Plugin before that. It’s basically the same, except I don’t have to setup $GOPATH manually anymore!
    I really love the enhancements you made over the open-source plugin so far. Especially the debugger is pure AWESOME.
    Thanks so much, I really look forward to the final product and some productive hours with Gogland!

15. jtonic says:

Hi,

Are there any plans to include it in the Jetbrains Toolbox, even the early EAP versions?

Kr

Tony

16. paul says:

How about Goliath?

17. MrSparc says:

I’m using Visual Studio Code with the golang plugin and works great, and is a free open source project empowered by the community.

18. Jul says:

Like the name Gogland, but you can skip middle g and the name could become GoLand. A land for Go :)
    Alternatively, Gold IDEA. Nice play with Go, Gold and Idea :)

19. Florin Pățan says:

I’d like to propose the name of Ghost for the IDE.
    You already have Rider so, you’d have the two IDEs named: Ghost Rider, I think it would be pretty awesome 😀

20. B.Tao says:

The image attached here might be titled ” ‘Go’, the ‘Rider’ ” 😛

21. Sepehr Hosseini says:

goldmine

22. SmartWalle says:

That’s a good news, Thanks!

23. Ivan says:

When will a release?

24. Eralp Erat says:

I guess “Golga” is ok :)

G O/LGA

25. Greg says:

So do I understand correctly?
    Will the WHOLE functionality of Gogland IDE be available via a plugin in paid IDEs, like PHPStorm?

26. Aaron Mendez says:

I must add my voice here, despite many other good comments already made.

The name “Gogland” is not simply mediocre (especially in English); it is truly, deeply horrible.

27. Akimbu says:

GophEd ?

28. Stefan G says:

I think a GO IDE is great.

Now for an off-topic remark.

I sat in on an all day webinar from the CHE folks from the Ukraine, and their spin on IDEs is really, really interesting: a dockerized, portable IDE that I can work on by myself or even do pair programming with. So many webinars are marketing without any meat. In this webinar, there was a *lot* of meat. Some very compelling ideas from the CHE folks.

It seems that the future of IDEs (10 years down the road) could be very much like they envision. On the other hand, Intellij is the world’s best IDE for good reason. There is literally nothing that compares to its ability to analyze fluid code, even when it is half-broken, and do this at lightning speeds. Intellij is just amazing.

So my ideal view of the worlds is something that combines the champion (Intellij) with a next generation architecture from CHE.

I don’t know if you guys are talking to each other, but I hope you are.

Stefan G

29. zmila says:

why there are no “liteIDE” variant for “what IDE do you use for GO development”? :)

30. Dev says:

Well, as long as you will feature the brain-damaged gopher mascot in the icon!

31. Rasmus Schultz says:

GoForward 😉

32. robert says:

great. what made you guys finally decide on this brilliant idea???? and what took so long?

33. David Renne says:

I am sorry but Jetbrains editors are the best there are. Well worth every penny. Now my favorite language is coming to it!! I ditched python for golang. Now if you can just make an ES6 and React a bit better….

34. Asher P. says:

“Gong!” <– still just one syllable like "go" and "ng" might mean "Next Generation" :-)