Yes, you read it right, it’s not a misprint: the final product name is now GoLand. We had to let the codename go and we’ll surely miss it. At the same time we hope everyone likes the new name. If you’re wondering what it takes to remove one letter from a product name, well… the short answer is “A lot.” For the long story, and the results of the naming contest, scroll to the end of this post.

At JetBrains we’re excited about GoLand the name as much as GoLand the new EAP build. The update brings some important improvements.

Templates

Initial support for editing templates provides syntax highlighting and basic coding assistance, including code completion for keywords:

The coding assistance is enabled for all HTML files within Go modules (with a defined GOROOT). To make it work for other extensions, add them in Settings | Editor | File Types | Go Template.

We will keep working to make template support better. If you have any feature requests, please add them to the tracker.

Imports

Now when editing the Imports settings, you can see a preview of how GoLand organizes import statements based on the current settings:

GoLand can now group stdlib package imports together.

The import statements added automatically are now positioned in the right order.

Find Usages

If you ask GoLand to show you the usages of a method that implements an interface, it will prompt you to include the usages of the interface’s method as well:

GitHub

When you switch your focus into GoLand with a GitHub repository URL in your clipboard, the IDE detects this and prompts you to run “go get” with the URL of this repository:

File Watchers

File Watchers introduced not long ago now can ignore external changes (made outside from the IDE). To enable this option, deselect the Trigger the watcher on external changes checkbox, or simply re-create the watchers (then it will be off by default):

Intentions and inspections

The update comes with an intention that can specify an explicit type when declaring a variable or constant:

Also, there’s a new inspection that reports the definitions of empty slices that allocate memory. It offers a quick-fix to replace such definitions with nil initial values:

Another inspection (turned off by default) checks that any exported symbol comes with a comment. Otherwise the inspection prompts to make it un-exported:

Bugfixes and other changes

In addition to the improvements mentioned above, there are many bugfixes. For example, the inspection that reports duplicate cases in switch statements no longer produces false positives:

The type inference has been improved for complex, imag and real builtin function calls. This also results in fewer false positives:

Toolbox App and installers

Because of the name change, we cannot provide a patch update. To update, please manually download the installer from the website. Sorry!

If you use Toolbox App, make sure to install the update by clicking GoLand, not Gogland:

Name contest winner

So, a couple of weeks ago we announced the Gogland naming contest. We thank all participants for their ideas and input! Frankly, we were overwhelmed with the many great suggestions. There were a lot of funny ones that made us smile.

Eventually we had to zero in on just one, and GoLand was it. This means the winner of the contest is Maxim Levkov who suggested GoLand first. Maxim gets a free 1-year personal subscription for all JetBrains products! Also, we’d like to offer Maxim a free conference ticket for any one Go-related event in the next 12 months.

All other contributors who repeated the same suggestion also get consolation prizes: a 1-year personal subscription for GoLand!

Lastly, there are two special prizes. The first is Jul who suggested GoLand in December 2016, long before the contest:

The second is GoJoris who made this quirky name suggestion:

Both Jul and GoJoris get free 1-year personal subscriptions for all JetBrains products!

Thanks again to everyone for helping us choose the new name!

Prices and release date

GoLand 2017.3 is going to be released in early December. GoLand will join the ‘All Products’ pack and will be priced exactly the same as PyCharm, PhpStorm, RubyMine, DataGrip, CLion, and AppCode. The conditions for discounts and complimentary licenses will also be the same as for other JetBrains products.

Feedback

Your feedback is very welcome in the comments below as well as in our issue tracker.

Happy developing!
The JetBrains GoLand Team

About Andrey Cheptsov

Part-time dreamer. JVM/JavaScript geek. IntelliJIDEA Marketing Manager at JetBrains.
This entry was posted in EAP, New Features. Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Announcing GoLand (Former Gogland) EAP 18: Final Product Name, Templates Support and More

1. calcifer says:

> This also results in less false positives

*fewer*, not less :)

2. > GoLand 2017.3 is going to be released in early December.

My congrats to all the team. As the daily user of go-lang-idea-plugin, Gogland, and now GoLand, I’m excited about the IDE has proven it’s value for the business.

I have an eager question related to product licensing. I have been a happy holder of a personal license for WebStorm since 2014, but as my fulltime job is about writing Go, it’s turned out I haven’t used WebStorm for a couple years. Would it be possible to switch my, yet not expired, WebStorm licence to GoLand? Or will I have to order a 1st-year license?

• Andrey Cheptsov says:

Thank you. Please drop an email to sales at jetbrains.com with me in CC (andrey.cheptsov at jetbrains.com) and we’ll do our best to help with the license.

3. Tianyu Geng says:

Thank you all very much for all the great work!

I have been using Go[g]land (as an Intellij plugin) since day 1 and it has greatly improved my productivity.

4. Nicolás Mendoza says:

Great Work!!, Take my money! :D. Thank you all very much.

5. ANDREY KOLKOV says:

I think that you still need to reward the free subscription of those who actively helped in testing, developing and improving the project! this can be seen in the issue tracker.))

6. Peter Gloor says:

Great job! I’ve been using all kind of IDE’s for Go but started using WebStorm with the Go Plugin about one year ago and switched to Go(g)land soon after. None of the Go IDE’s I’ve seen before comes close to Go(g)land. Keep-up the good work!

7. Maxim Levkov says:

Nice ;). How do I claim my prize? :)

8. Andreas Schneider says:

Will the IntelliJ plugin still be supported and updated or is the Goland standalone IDE the only future choice?

(I simply love having everything I use as part of IntelliJ :D)

9. BJ Reed says:

Love GoLand, have been using it for quite a while now. Keep up the great work. I must confess I am going to miss the ‘gland’ though, that name always cracked me up!

10. zhangfan says:

cool!

11. Greg says:

Some problem with installing. Need help

$sudo tar -xzvf golang.tar.gz
    …….
    GoLand-173.3531.21/lib/goland.jar
    tar: Skipping to next header
    tar: A lone zero block at 217376
    tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

$ file golang.tar.gz
    golang.tar.gz: gzip compressed data, from FAT filesystem (MS-DOS, OS/2, NT)

I got no problem for all previous Gogland. After googling It seems problem with tar zip process. I cant use GoLand since I upgraded it while old Gogland expired. Need help. Thanks

12. Boris Lednar says:

I liked Gogland more to be honest and I will probably keep using it when talking because I’m so used to it :)

Great IDE anyway, just small “bug report”, your twitter link in top right corner does not work, it still goes to “GoglandIDE”

13. DuranSamir says:

Keep going Guys :)))) Great movement for Go Environment!

14. Mark Mussett says:

Goland Team! Thanks for a great product. I’ve been using the EAP since it was launched and it’s really helped me learn Go.

Looking forward to the GA release in the coming weeks.

Will us EAPusers be offered any discount on purchase?

15. Ryan Brainard says:

It appears that the plugin version (https://plugins.jetbrains.com/plugin/9568-go) is no longer working even with paid IDEs. Only 172.3968.45 (EAP-14) is available in the plugin menu and even when trying to manually install 173.3622.38 (EAP-18) from disk, it fails with “Plugin ‘Go’ is incompatible with this installation.”. I’ve tried this with both paid RubyMine and IntelliJ Ultimate. It sounds like others are having the same problem if you see comments at https://plugins.jetbrains.com/plugin/9568-go.

• Andrey Cheptsov says:

Hello Ryan. Now the plugin will be available only for IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate users. Now, if you’re using an IntelliJ-based IDE that is not IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate, to work with Go you’ll have to switch to either Gogland or IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate. We are making this change because we want the Go plugin to follow the pattern in which we offer plugins for Python, PHP, Ruby, etc. For example, PHP support is offered as a standalone IDE (PhpStorm) and as a plugin for IntelliJ IDEA. Ruby support is offered in RubyMine and as a plugin for IntelliJ IDEA. Similarly, Go support will be offered in Gogland and as a plugin for IntelliJ IDEA. We apologize for any inconvenience.

• Ryan Brainard says:

Hi Andrey,

Thanks for your response. As I mentioned in my original comment, I tried with both RubyMine and IDEA Ultimate, but the same problem is happening. I’m using IntelliJ IDEA 2017.2.6 (full-details below), but I can only install Go plugin 172.3968.45 (EAP-14). Even when trying to manually install the latest plugin from disk, it fails.

With this (unfortunate, but understandable) product change, you should also update this FAQ, which says “the new official Go plugin with the functionality equal to GoLand is available for IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate and other paid IDEs”:

IntelliJ IDEA 2017.2.6
        Build #IU-172.4574.11, built on November 14, 2017
        JRE: 1.8.0_152-release-915-b12 x86_64
        JVM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM by JetBrains s.r.o
        Mac OS X 10.11.6

• Aleksandr Dorofeev says:

Hi Andrey,

I have exactly same problem: no updates after GogLand EAP 14. At this moment all stable versions of Go plugin higher than EAP 14 are compatible only with IntelliJ IDEA 2017.3 EAP.

To prevent miscommunication: I own license for IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate. I prefer to not use EAP versions of IntelliJ IDEA.

Right now I have a lot of pain with some features. For example rename something like “ID” causes freeze for around 3min while plugin inspecting whole project with whole “vendor” directories.

16. Olivier Pons says:

Maybe you changed for GoLand because in “Gogland”, “gland” means “the glans penis” LOL!
    Now it’s ok, GoLand means nothing but something cool!