IntelliJ IDEA Feedback Wanted

Egor Malyshev

As you might have noticed, IntelliJ IDEA contains tons of various features. Now JetBrains wants your feedback to find out what product features you are using more intensively than others, which ones of them are used not so frequently and those that maybe are never used. The aim of this little survey is to make IntelliJ IDEA even more productive and friendly to use.

IntelliJ IDEA includes the built-in statistics engine that gathers information about product features you are using in your everyday work (you can view this information from the Help menu, Productivity Guide). The statistics is also stored in the feature.usage.statistics.xml file. This file can be found:

• Windows systems: %userprofile%.IntelliJIDEAxxconfigoptions
  • *NIX systems: home/.IntelliJIDEAxx/config/options
  • Macintosh systems: ~/Library/Preferences/IntelliJIDEAxx/options/

Note that xx is the IntelliJ IDEA version number you are using.

Please find a couple of minutes, locate this file and email it to idea-feedback@jetbrains.com with Features Statistics in the subject.

Technorati tags: ,
Comments below can no longer be edited.

7 Responses to IntelliJ IDEA Feedback Wanted

1. Sandy McArthur says:

November 1, 2006

Sounds like a plugin idea for someone to write. 🙂

2. Egor Malyshev says:

November 2, 2006

I want to say that I am impressed with how many emails I have received regarding this survey. I am very grateful to everybody who contributes his feedback and helps us to improve our favorite IDE. And I want to add that we’re still gathering the information, so if you haven’t participated yet, you’re definitely welcome.

3. chuck hutchinson says:

January 23, 2007

There are two features that I would really love to have on intellij.

1) They are a “force get all” what this would do is to blow away *everything* on the local hard drive for your project and then do a clean get from the repository. To do this now I have to click on a bunch of different things, like update file and then revert file.

99% of the time I need to do a clean get and I don’t have time to play with all of the options to figure out to get this to work.

My work around now is to go out to the operating system prompt and do somethng like rm -fr * which works like a champ!

2) The other thing is to build a merge utility which would force my changes ontop of the other changes that have occured. I have been using intellij for about a month now and each time I have conflicts I dont have a clue how to use your tool to merge my changes which makes your merging tool useless. Also put the force clean get option (outlined above) on the merge utility.

If these options aren’t present on the next version – we will use eclipse!

Thanks

4. chuck hutchinson says:

January 26, 2007

on your merge tool please put two options

1) one option which will allow me to either accept all changes from the configuration management tool overwriting all of my local changes.

2) one option which will allo me to overwrite my changes over what comes back from the configuration management tool.

Here is the reason why – during development we work in a team environment where several people may be working on the exact same thing at the exact same time. When the first person finds a solution, they will check it in, and the others will use their changes. That is, they won’t want to merge ANY of their changes but want to get what is on the main trunk.

Also to be honest, I am not sure if I have the latet now – now I need to go out to the operating system do an rm -fr *, get everything out again…..

Sorry about dumping on you guys but this part of your tool is extremely frustraing to the point where I don’t want to use it…

Have a good day 🙂

5. Mark Krasny says:

July 14, 2011

I have been using IntelliJ for a couple of months and the feature I miss most of all is the behavior of the editor tabs that I had in Eclipse. The most I could do was to set them in a single row [like in Eclipse] – otherwise they take up space and jump around which makes my head spin. Eclipse however, does a much smarter job selecting which tabs are visible and in which order. Opening a new file it would never replace the last active one – something that Idea does all the time which is most annoying. Also the drop down in Eclipse allows to close tabs without first selecting them.
    Anyway, why don’t you guys take a look and copy the tab behavior from eclipse. It doesn’t have to be the default, but at least a possibility. You’ve done a great job. Could you do even better?

6. Ivan says:

June 15, 2012

It would help immensely if resources (like pictures) could be linked to rather than copied, so they can reside in some directory relative to the project directory, and only be copied temporarily behind the scenes when the project is compiled.
    Currently I need to recopy the same resources when working between related projects. If there is a way to do this, please let me know.
    This was one of the reasons I decided to try IntelliJ over Eclipse in the first place, but even though it doesn’t seem to be an option I still like IJ better.

Also when the xml GUI editor view turns on, it should not squish the tabs for the open files, but rather just do a split view with the xml text view. Would be much nicer on the eyes.