Fresh Update: IntelliJ IDEA 8.1

Posted on by Egor Malyshev

Fresh news, everyone! Hope you share our point of view on new features: there’s simply never enough of them. And performance: you can always get more of it. This is why we’re happy to tell you that IntelliJ IDEA 8.1 is just released. It’s been a really short time since we aired version 8, but thanks to working six days a week without lunch breaks we managed to deliver you this bunch of improvements:

• Performance of file and compiler caches
  • Easy sharing of settings with IntelliJ IDEA Server
  • Team Foundation Server
  • Git
  • Perforce jobs support
  • Oracle SQL dialect
  • Resin application server
  • and more

Get your hands on this first JetBrains release of 2009: download your copy of IntelliJ IDEA 8.1

If you already own version 8, this release is free of charge for you. If you still don’t — it’s a good time to apply for an upgrade. If you’re a newcomer, you are encouraged to try it for 30 days, before you decide to buy it, or apply for a free open source or classroom license.

Comments below can no longer be edited.

8 Responses to Fresh Update: IntelliJ IDEA 8.1

1. Guillaume Laforge says:

February 11, 2009

Congratulations on this great release of an awesome IDE!
    I wanted to indicate there’s an error in the “download” link, there’s a typo in the URL.

2. Werner Punz says:

February 12, 2009

Neat stuff I am checking it out currently. The git support looks really good to me, I however have one small gripe with it. It currently supports git-init, but if you do that on a project with already existing sources there is no way as it seems to add those unless you do a fallback into the command line. Later on the workflow again becomes normal adding then can be done from the changelist itself. It would be nice to have another add option.

Another thing, once git is enabled, does it really make sens to run a local history, since git does that anyway, the changelists usually are kept locally and with push are synched against the server.
    Just a suggestion though, I really love what you have done with the integration, best support so far in any IDE!

3. Roshan Shrestha says:

February 12, 2009

Grails 1.1 is just around the corner. Does 8.1 support Grails 1.1?

Thanks

4. Eric Rich says:

February 12, 2009

Thanks for the update! I would like to see better support in Maven projects for IDEA settings. I would like to be able to store things like code schemes in Maven POMs. If I overlooked how this can be done, someone please enlighten me! 🙂

Nice marketing with the “and more”, but it seems like just listing the one other new feature (bundling the copyright plug-in) that is not in the list would suffice in place of “and more”.

5. Egor Malyshev says:

February 13, 2009

Roshan Shrestha, we’re currently working on Grails 1.1 support, and it will be available in further service releases.
    You are welcome to browse the IntelliJ IDEA issue tracker to get more information about what’s being done and to submit your request on specific Grails 1.1 support features.

6. Frank Dubois says:

February 20, 2009

I’m also missing support for Grails 1.1… I hope you also fix the usability… I have not yet figured out how to choose Groovy/Grails versions independly from each other. This was pretty obvious in IDEA 7.x.

I would also be very nice if I could just point IDEA to a folder where a Grails app was created and it would just simply work. Without importing. Just operating on the given structure. Netbeans looks very tempting…

7. Radim Marek says:

February 24, 2009

Hi, is there any official roadmap for improvements in Python support? Initial features look very promising but so far IDEA is far from being considered full-grown Python IDE.

Thanks!

8. Viraf Karai says:

April 18, 2009

Great job! I’ve just downloaded 8.1.1 and startup time has improved quite a bit compared to 8.0 and vastly compared to 7.0 (Diana). I also like the UI changes you folks made for IDE and project configuration. My compliments to the IntelliJ team.