Features

Task & Context Management in Maia

You can bond your JIRA account and IntelliJ IDEA together via Project Settings dialog, Tasks, Servers panel, then activate a task via Tasks, Activate Task menu.

It cleans your workspace, creates a change list, and optionally loads a stacktrace into IntelliJ IDEA (if there is an exception description in that task).

IntelliJ IDEA also gives you a convenient way of switching between your tasks and contexts.

This feature is available in the upcoming first Maia EAP at www.intellij.net/eap

Comments below can no longer be edited.

43 Responses to Task & Context Management in Maia

1. Avatar

Cristian Vasile Mocanu says:

May 21, 2009

Will this be tied to JIRA or will it be decoupled from the BTS (like manually specifying the bug description when creating a task)?

Specifically, will I be able to use this with bugzilla?

2. Avatar

Omair-Inam Abdul-Matin says:

May 21, 2009

– Will Task Management be supported without reference to JIRA id?
    – Will Task Management support any issue trackers other than JIRA (e.g. Bugzilla)

3. Avatar

Omair-Inam Abdul-Matin says:

May 21, 2009

Will task management be dependent upon the specification of a JIRA id or will it work without an issue tracking system…?
    Will any issue tracking systems other than JIRA be supported (e.g. Bugzilla)?

4. Avatar

anima says:

May 22, 2009

Hi guys, local tasks are supported. Just enter a summary and press Ok.
    Bugzilla & Track connectors are planned too.

5. Avatar

Stephen Friedrich says:

May 22, 2009

Mantis support, please!

Also a way to filter issues is needed (my own, by component, …)

6. Avatar

Brandon Enochs says:

June 25, 2009

redmine too please.

7. Avatar

Matthias says:

June 26, 2009

great, finally mylin in intellij 🙂
    PLEASE, do provide trac support.
    thanks a lot
    matthias

8. Avatar

Denis Gladkiy says:

July 1, 2009

It would be great to see Bugzilla integration and to have possibility to use “Task & Context Management” without bounding to any issue tracker – some kind of “disconnected” mode. And i’d like to see something like ‘notepad’: just a list of notes. Each note is simple text field.

9. Avatar

jny says:

July 7, 2009

A Mantis-Support would be great!

I love the IDEA IDE…

10. Avatar

DmitriyK says:

July 9, 2009

Does anybody have examples how to configure task management in IDEA Maia to use JIRA? I also cannot find “Tasks, Activate Task menu.” in the project settings, there is it?

Thanks a lot for any info.

11. Avatar

anima says:

July 13, 2009

There should be Tasks / Servers page in your settings (Ctrl-Alt-S)

12. Avatar

Amit says:

July 24, 2009

Will I be able to use some other bug tracking software with this? We use an internal tool. If some API is available, we can write a plugin too.

13. Avatar

anima says:

July 27, 2009

API is available at http://svn.jetbrains.org/idea/Trunk/bundled/tasks

14. Avatar

Jason says:

July 30, 2009

I also can’t get this working in Maia. I have added my Jira server in Project Settings->Tasks->Servers, and the Test button says it connects OK. But I can’t find any Tasks->Activate Task menu from which to activate a task. Am I missing something?

15. Avatar

Chris says:

August 20, 2009

Time tracking on a per-task level would be a very nice addition to this feature. Most projects using any type of tracker or pm software also track developer actuals, so it would be handy to have a way to track how much time you are actually spending working on a specific task.

16. Avatar

Carsten says:

August 21, 2009

A Launchpad connector would be great!

17. Avatar

Michael Hüttermann says:

September 7, 2009

great feature!
    Is there any support or deeper connection to Mylyn scheduled?

Cheers,
    Michael

18. Avatar

anima says:

September 8, 2009

Hmm… What do you mean by that, Michael? AFAIK Mylyn is just an Eclipse plugin, not a service.

19. Avatar

Detlef says:

September 24, 2009

Great. Unfortunately, our Jira Task IDs contain an underscore. Seems like this is not part of the regex that identifies ITs. Would be nice if this regex could be configured like in the versioning settings.

20. Avatar

Mik Kersten says:

September 25, 2009

While I understand the need to duplicate UI between Eclipse and IDEA, I think that duplicating what we’ve done in the core Mylyn APIs could be a slippery slope. We have put many man years of work into coming up with a common set of Java APIs that dozens of ALM vendors now integrate with (a partial list is here: http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Mylyn_Extensions). As I suggested in 2007 (http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/mylyn-dev/msg00134.html) the interesting thing about all of our core Java APIs is that they run outside of Eclipse, on a plain Java classpath. They’re being used in server-side apps, and the only dependencies are on common Eclipse.org/EPL and Apache.org/AL licensed utilities. Without putting in the sort of collective investment that the Mylyn project and the third parties extending it have, I see a tricky game of catch-up ahead. It’s feasible to continue to duplicate, but since it’s all core Java APIs, this approach seems wasteful and slow. If there is interest in collaborating, please use one of the Mylyn channels or feel free to contact me personally (mik, tasktop.com). I’d love to have a better answer for every time that someone gets up at the end of one of my talks and says “What about having all this for IntelliJ IDEA?”.

Mik

Dr. Mik Kersten
    CEO: http://tasktop.com
    Lead: http://eclipse.org/mylyn
    Follow: http://twitter.com/mik_kersten

21. Avatar

anima says:

September 30, 2009

Thanks for detailed explanation, Mik. It could be really interesting to integrate Mylyn engine into IDEA, but it’d also require a large amount of work. Current version of IDEA task management does not provide any user activity tracking / ui focusing features, and they are not planned for Maia.

22. Avatar

Matt Brock says:

October 9, 2009

+ Mantis support

23. Avatar

Piotr says:

October 12, 2009

If you use JIRA you can try Atlassian IDE Connectior fro IntelliJ IDEA as plugin it already does things like tasks and many more see http://www.atlassian.com/software/ideconnector/intellij.jsp

24. Avatar

Cesar Reyes says:

October 16, 2009

Hi, the API link is not working, do you have another one?

Thanks a lot

25. Avatar

Steve says:

October 26, 2009

I have used mylyn in eclipse and it is great, “ui focusing” aside. I personally hated stuff disappearing on me. Other than that, I think mylyn got it right.

26. Avatar

Steve says:

October 27, 2009

I just downloaded the community eap (90.116) and there is no ‘Tasks’ option in the ‘Project Settings’ dialog. Is this feature specific to Ultimate?

27. Avatar

anima says:

October 27, 2009

AFAIK yes. Maybe things will change…

28. Avatar

Appan Ponnappan says:

November 20, 2009

Task & Context management is available only in UE & not in CE, which is also shown in this features comparison matrix page – http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/nextversion/editions_comparison_matrix.html

29. Avatar

Vidar S. Ramdal says:

December 1, 2009

What is the minimum version for the JIRA server?

I have setup a JIRA server under Preferences -> Tasks -> Servers, but when I do Tools -> Task -> Open, and enter a task ID, I always get “Issue [key] not found”.

30. Avatar

anima says:

December 2, 2009

What IDEA build do you use? And what JIRA version?

31. Avatar

Term Papers says:

March 4, 2010

I’m going to work on it…I’ll see if I can come up with something… This is really fun.

32. Avatar

Nick H says:

May 25, 2010

The subversion API repository is gone. Can you please re-post the API link please?

33. Avatar

anima says:

May 26, 2010

You can find api sources in your distribution under lib/src/src_tasks-api.zip

34. Avatar

Nick H says:

June 7, 2010

Great,

I got the bugzilla repository implemented. However, I cannot load it in the task manager: the task repository type does not register.

I added the following in my plugin:

But that did not do anything.

35. Avatar

Nick H says:

June 7, 2010

Html filter got my last comment. Here is the snippet:

<extensions defaultExtensionNs=”com.intellij”>
    <tasks.repositoryType implementation=”org.bugzilla.BugzillaRepositoryType”/>

</extensions>

36. Avatar

Nick H says:

June 8, 2010

Nevermind, I figured out how the extensionPoints feature works.

37. Avatar

Richard T says:

August 24, 2010

@Nick H – if you have a Bugzilla Tasks plugin built and working, would you consider posting it to the JetBrains plugin repository? I’d really like to be able to use Tasks with Bugzilla too.

38. Avatar

Andreas says:

November 25, 2010

Is there a guide on how to create plugins for new servers? Currently it looks like it supports JIRA, YouTrack, lighthouse and pivotal tracker.

I would like to add Eventum to that list (and is willing to try it on my own if I just find a nice guide :))

39. Avatar

Research Papers says:

November 30, 2010

The Task & Context Management in Maia is an interesting thing for me to know about I think that it is really nice to have information about it because it is really good to us and it is one thing which has good knowledge to get follow.

40. Avatar

Gasan Guseinov says:

March 2, 2011

according to comparison matrix: http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/features/editions_comparison_matrix.html

tasks should be available for community edition but they’re not. Using IntelliJ 10.02, there is no option to activate task, though you can add task from JIRA connector. But the only think you can do with that task is to use it with changelist in ‘changes’ window. No context supportactivatingswitching.

41. Avatar

Eugene Toporov says:

March 2, 2011

@Gasan: I have just tried it in Community Edition 10.0.2 and tasks are there. Make sure you have ‘Task management’ plugin installed and enabled in IDE Settings | Plugins. Then make sure to configure an issue tracker server. Hope it helps.

42. Avatar

Camere de inchiriat says:

June 7, 2011

@gasan: I have tried to Community Edition 10.0.2 and every thing is there.. Maybe you have a problem.

43. Avatar

Roy Wilson says:

August 6, 2011

I would like to add support for fogbugz.

Discover more