IntelliJ IDEA 10 RC 3; indexing speed improvements

Posted on by Eugene Toporov

It’s not that we afraid to announce the final release. No. We just want to make it as good as possible. Hence, yet another candidate!

The Community edition RC2 startup issue has been fixed, and a new RC build is now available for download. The complete list of changes can be found in the release notes.

Also, we’ve spent some time on measuring the final effect of some of the performance improvements that we’ve implemented during IntelliJ IDEA 10 development. We’ve run several benchmarks against IntelliJ IDEA 9.0.4 to illustrate the improvements in different environments. Scenario was the following: we open IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate source code base and invoke File | Invalidate Caches action. After restart, IntelliJ IDEA re-indexes the whole project and we measure this re-indexing time.

FYI, IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate project is more than 50’000 Java files, thousands of XML, JSP and other files. The total project size is near 1Gb.

The chart says it all:

Full specs of the computers we used:
1. Sony Vaio Z, Core i5 (2.4 GHz), SSD, Windows 7 x64
2. Core i7 (2.8 GHz), HDD 10K rpm, Windows 7 x64
3. Core i7 (2.8 GHz), HDD 10K rpm, Ubuntu 10.10 x64
4. MacBook Air Core 2 Duo (2.13 GHz), SSD, Mac OS X 10.6.5
5. Dell Vostro Core 2 Duo (2.2 GHz), HDD 7200 rpm, Windows Vista

Develop with pleasure and speed!

Comments below can no longer be edited.

19 Responses to IntelliJ IDEA 10 RC 3; indexing speed improvements

1. Carl says:

December 3, 2010

Wow Ubuntu… you’re awesome.

2. Denis Tulskiy says:

December 3, 2010

Unfortunately, git repo for the community edition is also about 1 GB, which stopped me from checking it out on my internet connection 🙁

Also, could you explain this warning in idea.sh:
    WARNING: You are launching IDE using OpenJDK Java runtime
    THIS IS STRICTLY UNSUPPORTED DUE TO KNOWN PERFORMANCE AND GRAPHICS PROBLEMS

I generally see OpenJDK working better on Linux than Sun JDK.

3. Behrang says:

December 4, 2010

>> than Sun JDK

That’s Oracle JDK, bro…

4. Denis Tulskiy says:

December 4, 2010

@Behrang: I don’t think Oracle released any java versions yet. Next one will be Oracle JDK, I guess. And the package name in Ubuntu is Sun Java.

5. botWi says:

December 4, 2010

oh
    looks like release is near

have you fixed soft wraps?
    i mean problem when sometimes it gets broken and then you have to close file and reopen it

6. Eugene Toporov says:

December 4, 2010

@Denis: There are things in IntelliJ IDEA that are specifically tuned for Sun JDK and some things just do not work with OpenJDK. This may change in future, but this is SO now.

7. Justin W Smith says:

December 4, 2010

I’m getting a 404 error when I try to download the EXE: http://download.jetbrains.com/idea/ideaIU-98.520.exe

Am I the only one?

8. Justin W Smith says:

December 4, 2010

Nevermind. It’s working for me now… (?)

9. Eugene Toporov says:

December 4, 2010

@Justin: we’re checking it now. Thanks for letting us know.

10. Dirk says:

December 5, 2010

I know holidays are approaching fast, but I think you need a little more time before it’s ready to be released!

RC1 was throwing plenty of exceptions in Groovy code, RC2 didn’t even start on some configurations, RC3 is throwing exceptions while editing Ruby code.

11. Denis Tulskiy says:

December 5, 2010

Is it only me, or Revert button on the toolbar is always disabled?

12. robin says:

December 5, 2010

Are there any similiar charts about analyzing such a complex project? For example, if you invoke Analyze->Inspect Code… and choose “whole project” for the Ultimate source code base. How long does this take using the default inspection settings?
    I’m asking because with IntelliJ9, on my MacBook Pro (2.4GHz, 4GByte) it takes about forever for any complex project. I always get the impression that the IDE got stuck in the analyzation process so I’ve simply stopped using this central feature of IntelliJ.
    Maybe I just have to wait several hours? (If so, will further inspections be much faster?)
    So any information about the runtime to expect would be great!

13. tramsgar says:

December 6, 2010

Great speedup, nice work!

Seing that Ubuntu totally owns W7, perhaps there are some windows-specific optimizations to be made? Spider Sense says that accessing a lot of small files is not window’s cup of tea…

14. anima says:

December 6, 2010

@tramsgar You are quite right about Windows. We’ve already done some optimizations for it, but they can’t overcome limitations of NTFS…

15. Irina says:

December 6, 2010

@Denis, revert action will be OK in next build, sorry
    It should be OK when item is selected in Changes | Local, please use it from there

16. Denis.Zhdanov says:

December 6, 2010

botWi Says:
    have you fixed soft wraps?

Is there any ticket for that at IJ tracker? Soft wraps are being actively processed now and we really welcome reports about existing problems in order to sort them out.

17. Konrad Machlowski says:

December 6, 2010

I’d really love to see live templates bug finally fixed 🙁

18. Konstantin Bulenkov says:

December 7, 2010

2robin: It’s a bad idea to run all inspection profile for huge project. I’d recommend you to run single inspection (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+I) or run all inspections on TeamCity 🙂

19. botWi says:

December 19, 2010

> Denis.Zhdanov

everything is fixed in release