IntelliJ IDEA 10 RC 3; indexing speed improvements
It’s not that we afraid to announce the final release. No. We just want to make it as good as possible. Hence, yet another candidate!
Also, we’ve spent some time on measuring the final effect of some of the performance improvements that we’ve implemented during IntelliJ IDEA 10 development. We’ve run several benchmarks against IntelliJ IDEA 9.0.4 to illustrate the improvements in different environments. Scenario was the following: we open IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate source code base and invoke File | Invalidate Caches action. After restart, IntelliJ IDEA re-indexes the whole project and we measure this re-indexing time.
FYI, IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate project is more than 50’000 Java files, thousands of XML, JSP and other files. The total project size is near 1Gb.
Full specs of the computers we used:
- Sony Vaio Z, Core i5 (2.4 GHz), SSD, Windows 7 x64
- Core i7 (2.8 GHz), HDD 10K rpm, Windows 7 x64
- Core i7 (2.8 GHz), HDD 10K rpm, Ubuntu 10.10 x64
- MacBook Air Core 2 Duo (2.13 GHz), SSD, Mac OS X 10.6.5
- Dell Vostro Core 2 Duo (2.2 GHz), HDD 7200 rpm, Windows Vista
Develop with pleasure and speed!