Idea logo

The IntelliJ IDEA Blog

The Capable & Ergonomic Java IDE by JetBrains

Early Access Program

Faster Find Usages with new EAP build 122.100 of IntelliJ IDEA 12

A new EAP build 122.100 of IntelliJ IDEA 12 has been released. Updated Find Usages action now starts searching usages without showing a modal options dialog. You can use old Find Usages as well enabling modal options with additional Control (or Command) modifier in a shortcut, e.g. Control + Alt + Shift + F7 on Windows.

You can find the complete list of changes in the build.

Download it or upgrade from within the IDE using the “Check for updates” feature.

Comments below can no longer be edited.

7 Responses to Faster Find Usages with new EAP build 122.100 of IntelliJ IDEA 12

1. Avatar

jtonic says:

August 16, 2012

That’s a very useful feature I’ve missed… till Leda 122.100 😉

Great job Idea Development Team

2. Avatar

Dima Yakovenko says:

August 17, 2012

Is there the plugins written by Lohn Lindquist? If it is, it cool! 🙂

3. Avatar

Stephen Friedrich says:

August 17, 2012

Wow – that not just fast, that’s instantaneous!

A major drawback for me: When trying to understand a framework, I often use “Find usages” with Scope set to “Project and Libraries”.

How the heck do I do that now and get the result sent to the “Find” toolwindow?
    I’d like to navigate each usage with Ctrl-Alt-Up/Down to try and understand the code.

I get the old “Find Usages” dialog with Ctrl-Alt-Shift-F7 and it even still has the checkbox “Open in new tab”, but it never sends the results to the toolwindow 🙁

4. Avatar

Maxim Mossienko says:

August 17, 2012

@Stephen we will fix that

5. Avatar

Mike says:

August 21, 2012

Not a fan of this change. By default it deselects overriding methods, derived classes, etc. So it’s easy to be mislead into doing things like inlining methods that you think aren’t doing anything useful anymore, only to later discover that they were overridden in some cases and in fact are more complicated than you expected.

6. Avatar

Oleg says:

August 22, 2012

Hi, this feature seems broken on Linux.
    Ctrl-Alt-Shift-F7 doesn’t work

p.s.
    WTF, captcha eats my brain, and if I enter it incorrectly, this textbox becomes empty!

7. Avatar

Keegan says:

June 6, 2013

To get it to work on Linux open up the settings->keymap and search for find usages. Then just map the Find Usages Settings… to a hotkey that works.

Discover more