IntelliJ IDEA 13 Early Preview is Out
Today we have exciting news to share with all IntelliJ IDEA fans who eagerly wait for the new features to appear in their favorite IDE. Almost six months before the official release we are happy to announce the early preview of IntelliJ IDEA 13, codenamed Cardea, which scheduled for release in December of 2013.
We believe that making perfect tools for developers is only possible when listening to feedback from the community. That’s why we are very much looking to hear from everyone about IntelliJ IDEA 13.
Most of the new features in this preview are about Android development support, and cover the new functionality added in Android Studio. Of course, everyone will find something tailored especially to their needs:
- Support for importing the configuration of Android projects from build.gradle and building them through Gradle.
- External annotations (nullability, @MagicConstant) for Android APIs.
- Display of additional information (including drawable image) for drawable, dimension and string resources in the quick documentation view.
- Support for gutter color annotations in Java files, as well as showing icon previews in the gutter of Java and XML files.
- Folding of Android string resources in the Java editor to display the actual string value.
- Support for running Android Lint checks on the fly in Java code.
- Many new Lint checks.
- Initial support for editing RenderScript code.
Layout Editor and Preview
- Rendering performance improvements.
- Support for multi-configuration layout preview.
- Support for working with fragment resources.
- Improved the UI for choosing device configurations.
- Device frame rendering in the layout preview.
- Double-clicking a component in the layout preview opens it in the layout editor.
- Selection is synchronized between layout preview and editor.
- Improved display of rendering errors with support for quickfixes.
- Improved support for RelativeLayout.
- Support for zooming and auto-zoom of views.
- Additional selection actions in layout actions bar.
- Support for control variations in the palette (e.g. multiple variations of TextField with different default settings).
- Action to obtain a screenshot from the device.
- Integrated 9-patch editor.
- New UI for viewing the list of connected devices in the Android toolwindow.
- Support for filtering by package name in logcat.
Also, if you want to take a look at the source code and the changes, we’ve opened a new repository browser for IntelliJ IDEA Community source code.
Develop with Pleasure!
Subscribe to Blog updates
IntelliJ IDEA 2024.1 EAP 6: Improved Workflow for Logs, Inline Breakpoints, In-Editor Code Review, and MoreEarly Access Program
IntelliJ IDEA 2024.1 EAP 6 is here! This new build is packed with a bunch of updates anticipated for the next major release. Highlights include an enhanced user experience with logs, advanced debugging capabilities, and improved integration with version control systems. You can download the new v…
IntelliJ IDEA 2024.1 EAP 5: Enhanced Support for GitHub Actions, Updates for the HTTP Client, and MoreEarly Access Program
Packed with numerous new features and enhancements, IntelliJ IDEA 2024.1 EAP 5 brings extended support for GitHub Actions, improved integration with popular frameworks such as Spring and Quarkus, updates to the HTTP Client, and much more.
IntelliJ IDEA 2024.1 EAP 4: Sticky Lines, Improved Startup Experience, and MoreEarly Access Program
The Early Access Program for IntelliJ IDEA 2024.1 continues with our latest build where you can preview new features, including convenient sticky lines in the editor, faster access to IDE functionality while indexing, and more. You can download the new version from our website, update directly fr…
IntelliJ IDEA 2024.1 EAP 3: Tool Window Names in the New UI, Language Injections in String Templates, And MoreEarly Access Program
IntelliJ IDEA 2024.1 EAP 3 is now available. This latest update focuses on enhancing your interactions with the IDE’s interface, introduces language injections for Java string templates, and significantly accelerates the startup process for Maven projects. You can download the new version from ou…