Early Access Program

IntelliJ IDEA 13 Early Preview is Out

Today we have exciting news to share with all IntelliJ IDEA fans who eagerly wait for the new features to appear in their favorite IDE. Almost six months before the official release we are happy to announce the early preview of IntelliJ IDEA 13, codenamed Cardea, which scheduled for release in December of 2013.

We believe that making perfect tools for developers is only possible when listening to feedback from the community. That’s why we are very much looking to hear from everyone about IntelliJ IDEA 13.

Most of the new features in this preview are about Android development support, and cover the new functionality added in Android Studio. Of course, everyone will find something tailored especially to their needs:

Project Configuration

• Support for importing the configuration of Android projects from build.gradle and building them through Gradle.

Code Editor

• External annotations (nullability, @MagicConstant) for Android APIs.
  • Display of additional information (including drawable image) for drawable, dimension and string resources in the quick documentation view.
  • Support for gutter color annotations in Java files, as well as showing icon previews in the gutter of Java and XML files.
  • Folding of Android string resources in the Java editor to display the actual string value.
  • Support for running Android Lint checks on the fly in Java code.
  • Many new Lint checks.
  • Initial support for editing RenderScript code.

Layout Editor and Preview

• Rendering performance improvements.
  • Support for multi-configuration layout preview.
  • Support for working with fragment resources.
  • Improved the UI for choosing device configurations.
  • Device frame rendering in the layout preview.
  • Double-clicking a component in the layout preview opens it in the layout editor.
  • Selection is synchronized between layout preview and editor.
  • Improved display of rendering errors with support for quickfixes.
  • Improved support for RelativeLayout.
  • Support for zooming and auto-zoom of views.
  • Additional selection actions in layout actions bar.
  • Support for control variations in the palette (e.g. multiple variations of TextField with different default settings).

Integrated Tools

• Action to obtain a screenshot from the device.
  • Integrated 9-patch editor.
  • New UI for viewing the list of connected devices in the Android toolwindow.
  • Support for filtering by package name in logcat.

Feel free to share your feedback on our discussion forum and report bugs to the issue tracker.

Develop with Pleasure!

Comments below can no longer be edited.

124 Responses to IntelliJ IDEA 13 Early Preview is Out

1. Avatar

Yuri Trukhin says:

Awesome, JetBrains!!!

2. Avatar

Filip says:

May 15, 2013

This is the best news I have recently read. Great work JetBrains!

3. Avatar

sorry, but... says:

May 15, 2013

any redesign refusing ugly idea 12 icon set?

t says:

August 22, 2013

what are you talking about? I used the darcula theme on linux and the icon set is super great!!!

maciej says:

August 29, 2013

Yes – it looks great!

michal says:

October 7, 2013

not all the comunity likes it. me personally, I find it very ugly and so I stay with IJ 11.5 instead of upgrading to 12.

Colin says:

October 25, 2013

I have to agree with the others, I’m using darcula in version 12 and I think it looks great. Friendly on the eyes too after a 14 hr day coding.

zzz says:

November 8, 2013

yes, darcula is the best thing that ever happened to an IDE

4. Avatar

Tobi says:

Thanks a lot!
    But it seems like the following doesn’t work anymore with Android:

Ctrl+Click on Style tags in XML TextView, no definition found to go to..
    Refactoring name of styles doesn’t change code occurences.

Will switch back to 12, hope these features will come again

5. Avatar

Arild Jacobsen says:

May 15, 2013

I am super enthusiastic about this! I was watching the live feed from google i/o and was so pleased when I realized my favorite IDE developers were making an IDE that adresses my main two issues with Android development (which is my day-to-day job): layout previews and gradle integration. I was already using IntelliJ Ultimate, and somewhat pleased with the support for both there, but griping at YouTrack for better versions 😉 Consider me mollified. What the heck, consider me joyous!

6. Avatar

sesm says:

May 15, 2013

> Also, if you want to take a look at the source code and the changes, we’ve opened a new repository browser for IntelliJ IDEA Community source code.

Not working for me, both Firefox and Chromium go into endless redirect loop from https://upsource.jetbrains.com/#idea/view to https://upsource.jetbrains.com/?auth=1#idea/view and vice versa.

What about your github mirror? The logo has been updated, are the other changes in?

7. Avatar

Madis says:

May 15, 2013

Congratulations on showing who’s the best IDE in the block! (Google moving from Eclipse to IDEA can be used as another argument on Eclipse vs IDEA topics around the web/real world).

Also, I’m sure you’ll get a lot of upstream patches from G (not only for Android specific features).

8. Avatar

Tropper says:

May 15, 2013

A bit offtopic: is Upsource just a Inhouse-Tool at Jetbrains or will it become a product in your portfolio? Because it looks really cool. 🙂

Konstantin Bulenkov says:

November 15, 2013

Believe me, it will.

9. Avatar

Madis says:

May 15, 2013

@Tropper Upsource indeed looks really cool, specially the annotate feature.

10. Avatar

Alexander says:

May 15, 2013

I downloaded and installed new Android Studio. But when I launch studio.exe nothing happens.

Windows7 x64

11. Avatar

Tropper says:

May 15, 2013

Hmmm, and know I’m a bit confused:

So you joined forces with Google. That’s good! But: will “Android Studio” be a commercial product? Because when it’s free then it means I pay the development of a free product by buying the next update. Or am I missing something?

12. Avatar

Tropper says:

Oh, I’m to stupid to read. Instead of

“Most of the new features in this preview are about Android development support”
    I read
    “Most of the new features in this version are about Android development support”

So: Nevermind and sorry for the fuzz. 🙂

13. Avatar

Jim says:

This is great news!

I hope to see Scala on Android become a first class citizen via IntelliJ as well. One can only dream I suppose 🙂

14. Avatar

alien_roger says:

May 15, 2013

Cool features for Android!!! Awesome!

15. Avatar

inaction says:

May 15, 2013

Need android ndk Integration.

16. Avatar

Simen says:

This is fantastic news!

I squealed like a fangirl during the livestream yesterday when Android Studio was announced, then I come home and see this. Fantastic!

One question, will ALL the features outlined here: http://developer.android.com/sdk/installing/studio.html be available in IDEA, as plugins or otherwise, or will I have to use Android Studio as well to have ALL the features available on the IntelliJ platfrom for Android? The only feature I could see after a quick overview mentioned by them but not by you are ProGuard capabilities, but still.

Anyways, as I’ve said, this is fantastic news. Can’t wait to see where you’re going with this!

(And I thought true C/C++ support in the next version was what’d get me the most excited)

17. Avatar

Simen says:

May 16, 2013

Oh, and I just download this EAP (first time for me doing that). When I try to install it, it seems like it wants to uninstall my 12.1 installation.
    I don’t want that, as I’m sure there are plugins incompatibilities, and instabilities in ver. 13, but I’d REALLY like to try it out. Isn’t it possible to have them installed side by side?

Windows 8 64-bit, if it matters 🙂

18. Avatar

Sardor Dushamov says:

Very Good IDE for me!

19. Avatar

hesam says:

May 16, 2013

IDEA on the edge of world 😉
    You are awesome….

20. Avatar

Erwin Dupont says:

May 16, 2013

Is there some roadmap available?

21. Avatar

Eyal Shilony says:

May 16, 2013

Now, just allow us to open individual files! 😀

22. Avatar

Hossein Amerkashi says:

May 16, 2013

Seems like its unable to load Android plugin and when you try to load an existing Android project, it throws the following exception:

com/android/builder/model/SourceProvider: com/android/builder/model/SourceProvider

23. Avatar

Averrin says:

May 16, 2013

I use IDEA as PyCharm+WebStorm and never wrote any Java code. What features will usable for me as user of abstract IDE? Maybe http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/IDEA-80056 ?

24. Avatar

Shawn says:

May 16, 2013

Continue to improve scala support!

25. Avatar

vizh says:

May 16, 2013

I’m waiting for 4 years… An impossible task for JetBrains?

26. Avatar

May 16, 2013

And when support for Java EE 7? JSF 2.2, etc.
    Java is not just Android

27. Avatar

Steve Frog says:

May 16, 2013

It appears this bug http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/CLJ-195 is not part of 13. Can we please get IntellijIdeaRulezzz fixed and built before creating new IntelliJ versions?

28. Avatar

tester says:

Hi,

When will Intellij include Arquillian http://arquillian.org/ support in Intellij?
    This is becoming the main testing environment for enterprise Java code and Intellij has been left behind.

For mobile app development HTML 5 and Javascript are being used by many companies successfully see http://www.sencha.com/company/ & http://cordova.apache.org/ but Intellij has been left behind. While its true that in some cases, such as with Facebook the app needed to be native, in many cases a hybrid app is all you need.

We hope Intellij will be a leader in these fields and support these technologies.

29. Avatar

Andrey Cheptsov says:

May 17, 2013

@tester, actually sencha and cordova are html5-based engines. IntelliJ IDEA provides support for HTML5, and personally i was able to develop cordova applications from IntelliJ IDEA quite well. what exactly you lack from the support for these engines?

30. Avatar

Andrey Cheptsov says:

May 17, 2013

@Dominik, Work on support for Java EE 7 is in the progress and we hope to show it in the nearest time!

31. Avatar

@Andrey Cheptsov says:

May 17, 2013

that’s great.
    I have the Idea 12 Ultimate and it’s really great.
    Great job JetBrains

You assume any promotions for update from 12 to 13?

32. Avatar

May 17, 2013

@Andrey Cheptsov

that’s great.
    I have the Idea 12 Ultimate and it’s really great.
    Great job JetBrains

You assume any promotions for update from 12 to 13?

33. Avatar

Bogdan says:

May 17, 2013

Don’t you think it is too early to level-up version?

34. Avatar

Georgii says:

May 17, 2013

Yaaaaaaahoooooooo!=))Now I am happy!

35. Avatar

Aleshin Vasily says:

May 17, 2013

Common guys. Do not require that the IDE supported some other products like Arquillian and other. There tons of great products on market quite innovative and excited. For example there is no support for 7Bee build tool or lightweight web framework webbee. I think the IDE should provide good extension capabilities similar to Eclipse, so everyone could add support for own favorite product. My desire that the IDE was even smaller and lighter and discarded support of many stuff just providing mechanism of extension when you can install exactly what you need.

36. Avatar

Mat says:

May 17, 2013

I’m considering buying IntelliJ (currently at v12) – will these changes be provided along the way or will there be any sort of upgrade program? Should I just wait until v13 launches?

37. Avatar

Chris says:

May 17, 2013

I think I’m having a baby and JetBrains is the father!

Thanks for all the hard work.

38. Avatar

Jeffrey says:

May 17, 2013

I hope IDEA can support JDK 7 fully on Mac OSX. At present, it still shows i need to install JDK 6,even i have already installed JDK 7 that is official release by Oracle.

39. Avatar

AL says:

May 18, 2013

The current Python plugin is not supported by this IDE. Any possibility of seeing it supported in the near future. Our code base has substantial amount of Python code, so the new IDE can’t be used/tested.

Thanks.

40. Avatar

Mohsen Afshin says:

May 18, 2013

Thanks JetBrains, I switched from Elicpse to IntelliJ because of its IntelliJ”ent” behavior

41. Avatar

B1acksheep says:

May 18, 2013

Same Problem here with Android

NoClassDefFoundError: update failed for AnAction with ID=AndroidConnectDebuggerAction: com/android/builder/model/SourceProvider

42. Avatar

Markus says:

May 18, 2013

A proper update mechanism that does not require me to practically reinstall IDEA with every version would sure be nice too.

43. Avatar

Reno Natallino says:

May 19, 2013

Really Nice… great works dev.
    Intellij Rocks.

44. Avatar

Mark Lacdao says:

May 20, 2013

Im so excited!

45. Avatar

Adelar da Silva Queiróz says:

May 22, 2013

Awesome!!!

46. Avatar

Alexander Albul says:

May 22, 2013

Please, continue working on Scala support. Currently, we have to use Maven instead of SBT because of pure SBT support in IDE’s

47. Avatar

bob says:

May 22, 2013

The Windows EAP installer seems to insist on the removal of the current version. Shouldn’t an Alpha software build allow installation without forcing the removal of a stable build?

48. Avatar

Peter Fiscker says:

May 23, 2013

More android support is amazing news!

I also agree with Alexander. Scala support is #1 for me and my team. It is *the* reason we bought the IDE.

49. Avatar

Denis Tunovic says:

May 24, 2013

I would like to see more OSGi support like Bndtools. That would be awesome. Now I need to hybrid between IntelliJ and Eclipse.

50. Avatar

Kajsa says:

May 24, 2013

+1 for expanded Scala support

The poor support for SBT was a deal breaker for us, too (on SBT vs Maven), so we’re stuck with Maven for now.

51. Avatar

Peter says:

May 27, 2013

Continued Scala support is vital for our team!

We’re also on Maven at the moment, due to poor support of SBT.

52. Avatar

Anton says:

May 28, 2013

Scala support!

53. Avatar

quiz says:

May 28, 2013

Google annonced gwt 2.6 in the end of the year and gwt 3.0 at Google I/O 2014. Will Intellij IDEA 13 support gwt 2.6? Do you plan to synchronize new release with gwt 3.0?

54. Avatar

Tomer says:

May 28, 2013

SCALA!!!

55. Avatar

frnx says:

May 29, 2013

I’d love to see a better SBT support too! For now there’s a plugin that can run SBT tasks, but it would be great if it were integrated more closely, since you guys already support Scala!

56. Avatar

Cairo says:

May 31, 2013

Add more clojure / clojurescript support please
    clojure and java love to mix

57. Avatar

Dawid Bielecki dawciobiel says:

May 31, 2013

+1 for scala
    +1 for android

___________
    Sofrware developer

58. Avatar

Jomy P Jose says:

June 1, 2013

Awesome work Jetbrains. and Thankyou for your effort to make android development more eassier…………..

59. Avatar

Marcos says:

June 2, 2013

Please, add more scala+android support. Scala IDE (eclipse plugin) just sucks, I switched to Android Studio and I’m happy with it (scala+android+maven) though it’s not perfect.

Keep up the good work!.

60. Avatar

liushu says:

June 2, 2013

why not support for mybatis/ibatis?

61. Avatar

Fero says:

June 3, 2013

+1 Better SBT support
    +1 Better error reporting in Scala code

62. Avatar

Zzzz says:

June 3, 2013

support lombok

63. Avatar

Olivier Refalo says:

June 5, 2013

what about running IntelliJ with JDK 7 rather than 1.6 as on the screenshot?
    You would expect a software this quality to run with a JDK release 4 years ago, right ?

Specially on osx.

64. Avatar

Will McQueen says:

June 8, 2013

+1 Better Scala support
    +1 Sbt support

65. Avatar

Peter says:

June 10, 2013

+1 for actually supporting OsX with JDK7. IDEA12 has hopeless font rendering problems (with both OpenJDK and OracleJDK).
    For a product that I pay money for I would expect FULL JDK7 (and 8!) support and not have to rely on JDK6 that is EOL.

66. Avatar

Kurt says:

June 10, 2013

I also echo the cry for better Scala support and Scala-Android support.

67. Avatar

mborra says:

June 13, 2013

+1 Scala
    +1 Android

68. Avatar

Sagie says:

June 15, 2013

+1 Scala (please invest in fixing the watch functionality)

69. Avatar

Roger says:

June 16, 2013

+1 scala support,
    Specifically improve the worksheets to work at least as well as the eclipse one (fast, direct evaluation etc.)

70. Avatar

Aaron says:

June 17, 2013

+1 Scala

IntelliJ is a great Scala IDE, but the false negatives and the poor SBT support are definitely things I’d like to see improved.

Another mention should be the poorly updated tutorials and Blog posts from the Scala plugin team. That really needs an update because it throws new dev’s down the wrong road more often than it provides answers to common getting started questions. We’re past that now as a team, but it was really frustrating at first to read year-old posts and instructions about something as fast-moving as Scala.

Simply put, Scala support is the reason my team went with IntelliJ. Please continue the leading support IntelliJ brings to the table.

– Aaron

71. Avatar

Robin says:

June 19, 2013

+1 continue Scala support

This is the main reason I switched from Eclipse to Intellij

72. Avatar

Carl says:

June 21, 2013

If that is a screen shot of the IntelliJ splash screen/start-up – please change it. It is hideous. The RubyMine splash/start-up screen; now that’s nice.

73. Avatar

Leopard Wang says:

June 26, 2013

Great job!
    I’m new to IntelliJ IDEA, and I love it very very soon !
    Scala works well ,and I hope to see scala for android works,my English is very poor,but
    I really hope I made myself understood.

74. Avatar

June 27, 2013

NetBeans and Eclipse now supports Java EE 7 When can we expect the possibility of buying the upgrade to the Idea, which will support Java EE 7?

75. Avatar

Andrey Cheptsov says:

June 28, 2013

@Dominik The support for Java EE 7 is coming in IntelliJ IDEA 13. The preview is already available now in IntelliJ IDEA 13 EAP.

76. Avatar

June 28, 2013

@Andrey Cheptso

Ok, but

I currently have Idea 12 and I had to uninstall it and use the EAP.
    Usually, the Idea is released at the end of the year so to upgrade to version 13, you have to wait until the end of the year, is it?

77. Avatar

Andrey Cheptsov says:

June 28, 2013

@Dominik, you don’t have to uninstall IntelliJ IDEA 12 to use IJ 13 EAP. Yes, the public release of IJ 13 will be in December, so you have to wait. 🙁

78. Avatar

June 28, 2013

@Andrey Cheptso

And I can now use EAP for commercial projects?

79. Avatar

June 30, 2013

@Andrey Cheptsov

Hi

When I start the installation IDEA 13 EAP installer asks me to choose how to uninstall the previous version (Idea 12). Is it possible to install 13 EAP without uninstalling the 12 EU?

80. Avatar

Kavimal says:

June 30, 2013

Wow… Waiting for Dec ’13 …
    Thanx JetBrains 😉

81. Avatar

nelz says:

July 1, 2013

There a problem in layout themes. I change it to dracula but it only change the editor not the whole IDE

82. Avatar

Yihang says:

July 1, 2013

Dear JetBrian.
    I am very impressed for great power of Intellj IDEA!
    Hopefully more great version!

IntelljIdea 12.1.4 has some bugs.
    1. When I import new projects, I can’t remove/add libraries manually in project setting.
    2. FrameLayout Preview issue.
    3. Sometime, I can’t open project setting window.
    After restarting, I can open that.
    4. Would you make let ddms runs on idea’s process?
    When ddms runs, Idea disconnected from ADB.
    Hopefully good resolve!

I am sure, Intellj Idea13 will be prefect version!
    Thanks for your reading.

Warm regards.
    ChenYihang

83. Avatar

Michal Gruca says:

July 3, 2013

+1 for OSGi support

84. Avatar

bejton says:

July 5, 2013

Can you add support to Subversion 1.8? I’ve problem with it.

Christian says:

August 29, 2013

+1 for Subversion 1.8

martin says:

September 12, 2013

+ for subversion support.

lew says:

October 21, 2013

Need it now….my stuff’s all over the place….not good!

85. Avatar

thomas says:

July 7, 2013

I’m looking forward for java ee 7 support
    And maybe a generator for jpa facades in jee-apps (like in netbeans)
    CMP and BMP are not so important anymore.
    Thank you for your good work.

86. Avatar

aslag says:

July 7, 2013

I switched from Eclipse because I desired Intellij’s superior vim support. I sorely miss Eclipse’s use of SWT: it’s snappy in Gnome, and the font rendering is beautiful. Intellij’s swing interface is clunkier, slower, and its font rendering is poor. I’ve stopped waiting for Oracle to fix JRE font rendering issues in Linux; I hope your company will see fit to find workarounds for JRE problems like this.

87. Avatar

Pooya says:

July 19, 2013

IDEA is the best thing on world

88. Avatar

Saad HAFFAR says:

July 23, 2013

Great. Good news

89. Avatar

Kumait says:

August 3, 2013

Intellij IDEA is a great product for Android development.

I have one issue with the interface designer which is Arabic font support, I hope this will be fixed in the next version

90. Avatar

Rael says:

August 18, 2013

Arquillian support?

91. Yann Cebron

Yann Cebron says:

August 19, 2013

@Rael, please see http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/IDEABKL-6459

92. Avatar

Boris Rybalkin says:

September 3, 2013

Idea code is not visible in Upsource:
    “Loading error: You do not have permission to access the requested resource”

Tried loging to Usource
    1. Google login fails with message:
    Cannot authenticate. INVALID_SERVICE
    2. Password restore says:
    [object Object]

93. Avatar

Markus says:

September 5, 2013

Intellij IDEA is great. And it would be twice better with friendly integration of Android and Scala!

94. Avatar

Roman Shevchenko says:

September 9, 2013

The project in Upsource was renamed, so the correct link is now https://upsource.jetbrains.com/ideace/view

95. Avatar

Pooya says:

September 11, 2013

Why we should wait until December ?

96. Avatar

September 13, 2013

Is it already known the date of release 13?

97. Avatar

September 23, 2013

Does LiveEdit will support JSF 2 *?

98. Avatar

Jason says:

September 27, 2013

Let me chime in also on improved Scala support. I would love the worksheet to be as strong as that in Eclipse!

99. Avatar

li says:

September 28, 2013

i think this feature list is not enough to release a new version. why not separate the android development part as a standalone product? and make the idea to be the fastest,most friendly pure Java IDE

100. Avatar

Jacobus says:

September 29, 2013

SCALA SCALA SCALA

Scala cannot be an afterthought. Scala must be a first class citizen in Idea.

101. Avatar

October 4, 2013

When I create a JSF project with Maven, I can not add a server by add framework

Andrey Cheptsov says:

October 4, 2013

> “add a server by add framework”

Dominik, if you mean application servers, then you have to add a run configuration for it, and it will work.

October 4, 2013

Great.
        It works.
        Thank you.

102. Avatar

大宝SOD says:

October 22, 2013

很好!很强大!

103. Avatar

Bhuwan says:

October 29, 2013

I can’t wait for this version…

104. Avatar

Bhuwan says:

October 29, 2013

I can’t wait for this version…
    Launch quickly

105. Avatar

November 4, 2013

When LiveEdit will support JSF 2.2 ?

Andrey Cheptsov says:

November 4, 2013

It’s already supported, just use “Debug index.xhtml” action on the file or “with JavaScript debugger” checkbox in the run configuration.

Andrey Cheptsov says:

November 4, 2013

But for now it works only when you have implicit URL mapping:

Faces Servlet
      *.xhtml

106. Avatar

November 5, 2013

@Andrey Cheptsov

I set “with JS debugger”

On update action and On frame deactivation: Update classes and resources
    I run it in debug mode

I also change web.xml to:

Faces Servlet
    javax.faces.webapp.FacesServlet

Faces Servlet
    *.xhtml

main.xhtml

If I change something in my xhtml file then i have to hit refresh i browser to see effect

107. Avatar

November 5, 2013

after the update of liveedit everything works great 😀
    Great work

108. Avatar

wilee says:

November 11, 2013

IDEA13 debug mode is particularly slow, loss of memory.

109. Avatar

Phil says:

November 14, 2013

We’re currently considering buying licenses of IntelliJ IDEA 12, but don’t want to get stuck with it once version 13 is released.

Does Jetbrains offer a similar offer to when they released IDEA12?

It would really suck having to wait until version 13 release for us to purchase the licenses.

110. Avatar

Tommy Svensson says:

November 25, 2013

I want my toolbars back!!! The “toolbars are turned off by default” hints that it is actually possible to get them back. I’ve gone through every single setting and can find no way to get the toolbars back! My wildest imagination is not enough to comprehend why anyone would want to get rid of them! I want them back! PLEASE at least give me that option.

Tommy Svensson says:

November 25, 2013

Phew! I finally found it under the View menu! Strange feature, insane default! Very, very sorry!

Discover more