IntelliJ IDEA 13 is Released! Work Miracles in Java and Beyond

Posted on by Andrey Cheptsov

Today we are thrilled to announce that IntelliJ IDEA 13, the next version of our award-winning Java IDE, is finally available for download.

This year the IntelliJ IDEA team worked on building stronger ties with the companies behind many leading development technologies like Android, Spring, Scala and Gradle. As a result, we are able to stay ahead of the curve and bring you the best possible tools to work with these cutting-edge technologies.

Java EE 7

Committed to providing the best and earliest support for new technologies to all Java developers, IntelliJ IDEA 13 adopts Java EE 7, the latest version of Oracle’s enterprise Java platform, along with code assistance for CDI 1.1, JSF 2.2, JAX-RS 2.0, Batch Processing and other new specs. There’s also support for the new versions of enterprise application servers such as Glassfish 4, Wildfly 8, Tomcat 8, and others. For a more detailed overview, watch our short videos.

Spring

Spring developers will find the new version more helpful than ever, with the new Spring tool window which helps to easily navigate through the contexts, configured in the project and its beans. With the new tool window you can also browse the MVC controllers and see their URL mappings. IntelliJ IDEA 13 also offers better performance and simplified Spring projects configuration.

Android

One of the most exciting announcements at this year’s Google I/O was the preview of Android Studio, a new development environment for Android, built on top of IntelliJ IDEA Community Edition. This influx of passionate Android developers using IntelliJ Platform helps greatly to improve and enrich it with great new features. IntelliJ IDEA 13 is the first major release that reaps the benefits of this collaboration: better code editor and UI designer, easier SQLite database access, and many others.

Gradle

Another key enhancement in IntelliJ IDEA 13 is refined Gradle support, including improved project synchronization, code completion for dependencies and plugins, quick documentation, and code generation. IntelliJ IDEA 13 is even able to configure Web facet and WAR artifacts automatically based on Gradle files. You can take a look at the Gradle support in this video.

User interface

The last year brought IntelliJ IDEA users a darker, stylish look and feel; today we have been working hard to make the overall user experience more straightforward and functional: the new Search everywhere action, Presentation and Lens modes, all help finding way around IDE much faster. Plus, the Toolbar and Tool window buttons are hidden by default conserving the valuable screen space. Of course, there’s more: the new light look and feel on Linux (default in Community Edition) and Windows, and Fullscreen mode made available for Linux users.

Database

Accessing data stored in various databases is important part of application development, so IntelliJ IDEA 13 addresses it with improved data handling tools. Simplified configuration of data sources in the Database tools, the new Structure view, handy view and navigate actions for primary and foreign keys in the Table editor, smart code completion for SQL, the new Query filter controls and many more.

What else is noteworthy:

• Improved Git, Mercurial and Subversion tools (including support for Subversion 1.8)
  • Enhanced debugger
  • Better performance
  • Groovy support improvements
  • Better Scala support with built-in SBT integration
  • New tools for web development, including JavaScript code coverage, Stylus and Compass support
  • The new built-in Terminal tool window
  • CloudFoundry 2.0, OpenShift and Heroku deployment tools

To see the complete list of what’s new in IntelliJ IDEA 13, and to download the edition of your choice, please visit the official IntelliJ IDEA website.

Both personal and commercial licenses now include 1-year upgrade subscription. For more information on the new pricing and licensing options for IntelliJ IDEA, please visit http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/buy.

Enjoy the brand new IntelliJ IDEA!

Comments below can no longer be edited.

87 Responses to IntelliJ IDEA 13 is Released! Work Miracles in Java and Beyond

1. Stephan says:

December 3, 2013

Unfortunately, I am not able to upgrade my version 12 personal license 🙁 I hope that this is simply a fault in the shop and not the change of the license model that forces me to buy a full-fee license again.

Stephan

• Stephan says:

December 3, 2013

It seems that this has been fixes in the meantime 🙂

• Brandon says:

Will this stay? A friend of mine bought a 12 license for me right as

• Brandon says:

December 4, 2013

Right as 13 came out, and it won’t let me use the same license for 13. Should I use it for 12 or leave it unused?

2. Casper says:

December 3, 2013

Glad to see IntelliJ improving even further. Quite bummed to hear that the v12 personal licenses did not come with the 1-year upgrade subscription. I thought all the Jetbrains IDEs used the same system for that (but apparently not, since the v12 key I bought a month ago is not valid for v13). Had I known the v12 key would not be valid for a year of upgrades, I would’ve waited 🙁

• Darren says:

December 3, 2013

I feel the same way… bought V12 in October. Don’t feel I can justify paying out for an upgrade already 🙁

• Meo says:

December 5, 2013

Have you tried to contact their sales department?

December 3, 2013

Casper, the subscription has started for IntelliJ IDEA personal licenses since October 30.

• Redglyph says:

December 7, 2013

Same problem here, I have bought the version 12 in April which isn’t valid for version 13, and in order to get Android-related bugs fixed, I have to pay a full licence again 🙁

Does that also sound wrong to anyone else?

3. Ismael says:

December 3, 2013

I bought my licence last December (end December) and first it asked me for an upgrade but now it does not appear any more.

Are not we entitled to this release ?

• Brian says:

December 3, 2013

I am in the same boat, I am unable to upgrade my personal license. Do I need to purchase a full license because I bought mine last year december?

December 3, 2013

> now it does not appear any more

Can you describe the use case in more details? Can’t figure out what the problem is so far.

4. Lukas says:

December 3, 2013

I am sorry, i have bought Idea 12 but it does not meet my quality standards, I am rather using Idea 11 Comunity. After this experience I have decided I am not going to buy new version and I am thinking about switch back to Eclipse.

December 3, 2013

Could you please provide more details on what problems you experience in v.12?

• Brandon Brooks says:

December 4, 2013

Love these self-entitled people. sigh.

It depends on your work cases, but in mine, where I need tight integration with JSP, javascript and java sources, Eclipse doesn’t have near the integration IntelliJ has – I would never switch back.

5. Dmytro says:

December 3, 2013

Casper, Ismael: v12 Licenses bought 1 month prior to v13 are eligible for free upgrade. Contact their sales, they may be able to offer something.

6. Laurent says:

December 3, 2013

Same issue with a license that was upgraded few weeks ago in preparation for IDEA 13. However, IDEA 13 says that my license is not valid for this new version.

December 3, 2013

Laurent, could you please contact our sales, they will figure out how that could happen: http://www.jetbrains.com/company/contacts/

• Laurent says:

December 3, 2013

Thanks. The license key I was sent didn’t work. They sent me a new one and it’s now working. Off to exploring! Thanks!.

7. Ryon Day says:

December 3, 2013

On my Mac, “Intellij Idea -> About IntelliJ Idea” reports usage of JVM 6. How do I enable the JVM 7 support?

December 3, 2013

Please find details here: https://blog.jetbrains.com/idea/2013/09/jdk7_compatibility/

December 3, 2013

Anyway JRE 1.7 for OS X still has some problems so we don’t recommend to use it for running IntelliJ IDEA, until the problems are fixed.

• Robert says:

December 4, 2013

Can you expand on what problems with jre 1.7 on OSX you are refering to here?

• Konstantin Bulenkov says:

December 4, 2013

Robert, most of these problems are minor and for most of them we have workarounds. Almost all of them are issues with Swing subsystem like this particular one http://bulenkov.com/2013/09/13/bug-with-stringwidth-in-jdk-1-7-0_40/ I truly believe you will be happy using IntelliJ IDEA under 1.7 as well as under 1.7

• Jon Nichols says:

December 4, 2013

When I attempt to run IDEA 13 under JDK 1.6, it freezes loading my projects. When I switch back to 1.7, it loads fine (but has the horrible font rendering problems discussed).

• Maxim Mossienko says:

December 4, 2013

we fixed one problem running IDEA 13 with JDK 6 and the fix will be available in 13.0.1

8. Christian Balaguer Jehle says:

Gotta <3 this IDE! By the way, will there be a Christmas Sale? 😀

9. Gerard Krupa says:

December 3, 2013

I completed the Personal License survey in March/April which promised a “guaranteed 15% discount on your next upgrade” and received a discount code that should be valid until April 2014. Great, except that the new upgrade flow doesn’t allow entry of a discount code anywhere. Also why is the upgrade VAT rate 2% higher than for new purchases?

December 3, 2013

Please contact our sales: sales at jetbrains.com.

• Gerard Krupa says:

December 3, 2013

I did that and when I try to check on the status of the ticket I get a “Request not found” error.

December 3, 2013

Can you please send your request id to andrey.cheptsov at jetbrains.com? I will take a look.

10. Michael says:

December 3, 2013

Nice to see the further support for Android. Have to get both this and Resharper upgraded now. Will have to make them my post-christmas christmas present to myself in the new year.

11. Robert says:

December 3, 2013

Many of my colleagues recently switched to IntelliJ and they are quite happy.
    I can’t use it because of this issue: http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/IDEA-51438
    I have to disable the standard maven profile. The issue is really easy to fix but there is no possible workaround (except changing the maven pom)

12. Nikolay Chervyakov says:

December 3, 2013

Do I understand it correctly that those who buy license now, will be able to ubgrade to IDEA from 13 to 14. But those, who bought IDEA 12 several months ago (as I did) can’t upgrade to 13 now? And they must wait months when their license expire to upgrade to 13?
    I ask it because I can’t find a simple question. When I used phpStorm I easily upgraded it from 6 to 7. But with IDEA there are many unnecessary difficulties.

December 3, 2013

Nokolay, please find my comments below:

> those who buy license now, will be able to ubgrade to IDEA from 13 to 14.

Yes, if they upgrade to 14 within a year after purchasing 13.

> But those, who bought IDEA 12 several months ago (as I did) can’t upgrade to 13 now?

Everyone should be able to upgrade, regardless when a license is purchased. However if you bought 12 after Oct 30 you’ll be able to upgrade to 13 for free.

• Gerard Krupa says:

December 3, 2013

So upgrading now doesn’t seem to make much sense. All that needs to happen is a delay for v.14 until the 4th or 5th December 2014 and that 12 month upgrade sub is worthless for early adopters. It’s not a great incentive to buy.

• Ross Cousens says:

December 4, 2013

I feel the same. It’s stupid because if I wait 6 months to upgrade, I know I will most likely get 14 for free. If I upgrade now, I may miss out.

Instead of a subscription, how about free upgrade to next major version? It makes no sense to me. I will most likely stay on 12 until there is an incentive to upgrade to 13 (a promotion, etc).

• Nikolay Chervyakov says:

December 4, 2013

I think the same way. If upgrade now I will lost half a year of current subscription. So it seems we need to wait our subscription to expire, and then to upgrade. The good news is that no need to wait for december ‘2014 because new license is better then old.

License terms are odd. But the broduct is really perfect. For now I’ll try IDEA 13 CE. It seems there are many tasties.

• Maxim Mossienko says:

December 4, 2013

You wrongly assume that there will be v.14 in the same timeframe, with subscription based licensing we aren’t forced to have one major version in December

• Andy Cross says:

December 4, 2013

And this is exactly why users don’t like subscription-based licensing. From JetBrains perspective, you want to be seen as providing a service (continual support throughout the year) and being paid for that, but for regular users, especially those paying for personal licenses out of their own pocket, it’s all about the tangible product – the question we ask ourselves is after we pay the upgrade fee, are we getting one major release, or two?

Your answer, that you’re in no way obligated to put out another release next December, only reinforces the concerns that your customers have already outlined, as to why they’re not rushing to upgrade. If there’s a possibility of getting two major versions by waiting a while, but only getting one if you upgrade immediately, it makes sense to sit it out as long as possible. I know I’ll be waiting at least for my 30 day evaluation to expire before laying out any money.

• Maxim Mossienko says:

December 4, 2013

In original comment I wanted to point out that we will continue to have several releases in a year but the difference between major vs minor version quite likely to go away, as well as wording “major release in December”. E.g. look for PhpStorm subscription / versioning as an example.

13. Cabi says:

What else to say? Thanks for new wonderfull IDE ! 😉

14. Peter De Winter says:

Hello,

I just bought an update license but somehow intellij 12 does not provide me with the option to update. I checked the update dialog but it does’ t propose a update to intellij 13. Do we need to install a vanilla version? Or better yet is it recommended to start from scratch?

15. h.kelidari says:

December 3, 2013

show error for crate android project:

Gradle ‘untitled’ project refresh failed:
    Could not find any version that matches com.android.support:appcompat-v7:+

16. Adam says:

December 3, 2013

Do you still have to buy a commercial licence to use it for ActionScript? Would be great to see ActionScript go free.

17. Stavros Kefaleas says:

December 3, 2013

I just bought the product (IntelliJ Idea13 Ultimate) and I downloaded the ideaIU-13.dmg for my mac but when I installed it all I’ve got was IntelliJ Idea 12!!!
    The size of the dmg file is 265mb.
    Any ideas guys?

• Stavros Kefaleas says:

December 3, 2013

I’ve downloaded it again and it works ok now!
      I don’t know what happened before!

18. Jcdroid says:

It’s cool !!!

19. Bob says:

December 4, 2013

This new version seems really buggy and slow. I love 12, but I kind of hate 13.

December 4, 2013

Can you please provide a few more details on the use case?

• Peter says:

December 6, 2013

1. Is it possible to change triangles back to minus-plus tree view in Project tab?
        2. Where are all the buttons on the top and how to move rest back to the left?
        3. New UI is a bit lighter, is it possible to change it back to “Idea 4.5” theme with darker colours?

• Victor says:

January 30, 2014

I would appreciate “idea 4.5 default” theme (the sam as the one in Idea 12) too.

• Vladimir Dolzhenko says:

May 6, 2014

Lots of small bugs happen spontaneously from time to time
        – git commit doesn’t work
        – java compilation is broken – has to rebuild all / invalidate cache / rebuild
        – paste from clipboard buffer twice on a single cmd+V

many many others – it makes quite annoying to report all of them

20. Viktor says:

December 4, 2013

I’m do first steps in developing and try to create first app for android.
    In new IDEA 13 I get some bugs:
    1. Create Android Application Module (Old style wizard) with Hello World and get in log next errors:

Information:Using javac 1.6.0_65 to compile java sources
    Information:Android Resource Caching: Caching resources [untitled]
    Information:Android Resource Caching: [untitled] Crunching PNG Files in source dir: /Users/Viktor/IdeaProjects/untitled/res
    Information:Android Resource Caching: [untitled] To destination dir: /Users/Viktor/Library/Caches/IdeaIC13/compile-server/untitled_a555aee3/android/res_cache/untitled
    Information:Compilation completed with 22 errors and 0 warnings in 5 sec
    Information:22 errors
    Information:0 warnings
    Error:Android Dex: [untitled] Unable to execute DX
    Error:Android Dex: [untitled] java.nio.BufferOverflowException
    Error:Android Dex: [untitled] at java.nio.Buffer.nextPutIndex(Buffer.java:499)
    Error:Android Dex: [untitled] at java.nio.HeapByteBuffer.putShort(HeapByteBuffer.java:296)
    Error:Android Dex: [untitled] at com.android.dex.Dex$Section.writeShort(Dex.java:818)
    Error:Android Dex: [untitled] at com.android.dex.Dex$Section.writeTypeList(Dex.java:870)
    Error:Android Dex: [untitled] at com.android.dx.merge.DexMerger$3.write(DexMerger.java:437)
    Error:Android Dex: [untitled] at com.android.dx.merge.DexMerger$3.write(DexMerger.java:423)
    Error:Android Dex: [untitled] at com.android.dx.merge.DexMerger$IdMerger.mergeUnsorted(DexMerger.java:317)
    Error:Android Dex: [untitled] at com.android.dx.merge.DexMerger.mergeTypeLists(DexMerger.java:423)
    Error:Android Dex: [untitled] at com.android.dx.merge.DexMerger.mergeDexes(DexMerger.java:163)
    Error:Android Dex: [untitled] at com.android.dx.merge.DexMerger.merge(DexMerger.java:187)
    Error:Android Dex: [untitled] at com.android.dx.command.dexer.Main.mergeLibraryDexBuffers(Main.java:439)
    Error:Android Dex: [untitled] at com.android.dx.command.dexer.Main.runMonoDex(Main.java:287)
    Error:Android Dex: [untitled] at com.android.dx.command.dexer.Main.run(Main.java:230)
    Error:Android Dex: [untitled] at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    Error:Android Dex: [untitled] at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
    Error:Android Dex: [untitled] at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
    Error:Android Dex: [untitled] at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
    Error:Android Dex: [untitled] at org.jetbrains.android.compiler.tools.AndroidDxRunner.runDex(AndroidDxRunner.java:161)
    Error:Android Dex: [untitled] at org.jetbrains.android.compiler.tools.AndroidDxRunner.main(AndroidDxRunner.java:294)
    Error:Android Dex: [untitled] at com.intellij.rt.execution.CommandLineWrapper.main(CommandLineWrapper.java:121)

2. Try to create Gradle: Android Application (new wizard). Set blank activity and change nothing. When I try to build project, I see popup window (Edit configuration) where find Error: Default activity not found.

I’m disappointed and don’t know how to solve this problem.

• eugene.kudelevsky says:

Hello,

1. Some people have similar problem in Eclipse. Try workarounds suggested there: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19727915/android-dex-gives-a-bufferoverflowexception-when-building

2. Looks like a bug. It’ll be fixed in 13.0.1. Please add “intent-filter” manualy to the AndroidManifest.xml to make your activity launchable. See http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/IDEA-116883

• Lars Blumberg says:

December 4, 2013

I’m having the same problem with my Android projects using new IntelliJ 13.

• Peirs says:

December 18, 2013

Guys Ive been battling with this for 5 hrs now 😛 and it seems what caused it was installing the “Android SDK Build-tools revision 19” when i got rid of those, thereby reverting to revision 17 everything worked again. What a ball ache!!! Does anyone know how you can set the version of the build tools to use from within intellij, I could not find any setting? Good luck!

• Shon Diaz says:

February 16, 2014

Peris, Thank you so much for commenting about that dex error.. i have been hunting all over the net trying to figure out a solution for this. I got update happy and it will not happen again !

21. Towhidul Haque Roni says:

December 4, 2013

I was eagerly waiting for this 🙂

22. Brandon says:

December 4, 2013

Will it stay this way? A friend of mine bought a 12 license for me right as 13 came out. I’m afraid to activate it for 12 in case it won’t let me use the license again once it’s fixed.

23. Ivan Kolev says:

December 4, 2013

Good job guys! One questions, it seems like you advertise the new Javascript Debug Elements tab on your webpage but it’s nowhere to be seen in the actual product. Can you confirm this feature actually made it to v.13?

24. Dary says:

December 5, 2013

Hi – when upgrading to version 13 from 12, is it a new install or will existing settings / config be migrated? Don’t have time right now to spend hours reconfiguring things. Thanks.

December 5, 2013

Yes, it should offer you to import settings from your existing installment.

• Dary says:

December 5, 2013

Thank you.

25. Roland says:

December 5, 2013

Upgraded yesterday – everything fine so far. And it looks fantastic!
    Keep up the great work!

26. Andreas says:

December 5, 2013

Great to see another release with amazon features. Unfortunately the still bad maven support prevents our company from using this nice product. Are the any plans to improve the maven support in the next release?

27. levan says:

December 5, 2013

can I upgrade from 11 to 13? for 99$?

28. Telis says:

December 6, 2013

I’m very disappointed with Jetbrains support. I purchased my license for IntelliJ IDEA 12 on 4 November 2013 and Jetbrains refused to upgrade my license to IntelliJ 13 and asks me to pay to upgrade even though the version was released within 1 month of the purchase of the previous version

December 6, 2013

Telis,if you’ve purchased your license on Nov 4 (after October 30) then you 100% get a free upgrade. Please contact sales at jetbrains.com.

29. BikerLad says:

December 6, 2013

I’m using Idea 13 Ultimate with (64-bit) Java 7 update 45. The java editor is extremely slow to the point of being unusable. The rest of Idea is very sluggish. I’m running it on OpenSuse 13.1 with 16Gb of RAM. This is very reminiscent of Idea from many years ago.

In contrast, Idea 12 Ultimate was perfect.

I’m reverting to version 12 until 13 gets fixed.

Come on guys, get this fixed ASAP!

30. Mark Griffin says:

December 8, 2013

Intellij Idea 13 is awesome.

I am running it using Java 7 on OS X and for me it is running slow. The editor is slow.

I am using Java 7 instead of the default Java 6 because some Ant tasks in my project use Java 7 and Idea marks in red the tasks in the Ant script complaining about the Java version. I guess I could run Idea with Java 6 and ignore the highlighted errors when editing the Ant script since it does not affect a command line build.

Does that sound right? Does my reason for using Java 7 make sense?

Editing an Ant script that references Java 7 tasks results in error reports in the editor.

31. Walter says:

December 13, 2013

Geeezzz this is slower than and Havier then Eclipse full loaded plugins …
    Rollback to 12++

December 16, 2013

Walter, can you provide more details on the use-case?

32. Karen Mnatsakanyan says:

December 16, 2013

v13 is extremely slow. I have tried to fix it by increasing vm memory from “idea64.exe.vmoptions” but it did`nt help. Please fix performance ASAP

33. Puroshottam says:

December 31, 2013

Glad to see new version of my favorite IntelliJ, simiply the best IDE for Java development. Is there any new improvement on already rich code inspection functionality?

34. Lee Davis says:

January 29, 2014

The performance of 13 is getting worse and worse. CPU usage just skyrockets all the time even with simple code completion. I’m happy in a sense that I am not the only one, but saddened it is almost unusable now 🙁

What do you guys need to debug this?

Idea 13 Ultimate (64-bit) Java build 1.7.0_51-b13
    Win 7×64
    16Gb of ram

35. David Whiting says:

February 3, 2014

IntelliJ 13 CPU goes mental (up to 380% on 4 core machine) when trying to autocomplete sometimes (usually while editing Scala). It then totally freezes and I have to do a force quit. This happens several times a day and is new in 13. How do I downgrade? (OSX 2013 MBPR 13″)

• Patrick says:

March 20, 2014

I am seeing the same issue, also while working with scala.

— Patrick