IntelliJ IDEA 14.1 is Here!

What makes a better Spring present than a fresh update for your favorite Java IDE? We’ve worked hard this year to make it happen. Go ahead and grab IntelliJ IDEA 14.1, packed with new features, improvements, and bug-fixes.

What's new in IntelliJ IDEA 14.1?

Most parts of the IDE have been enhanced in one way or another:

• We’ve added debugger capabilities to the built-in decompiler introduced in IntelliJ IDEA 14.
  • Please welcome the brand new Extract Functional Parameter refactoring. Some existing refactorings have been extended as well, including Extract Method, Make Static, Change Signature, and Safe Delete.
  • Try out the brand new Distraction Free Mode for better focus, and take advantage of HiDPI support for Windows or Linux.
  • If you develop for Android, you’ll appreciate all the enhancements and new features brought into v14.1 from the latest Android Studio.
  • Groovy compilation now works much faster.
  • We’ve reworked the Gradle tool window.
  • Git and Mercurial log viewers have been improved.
  • The update brings advanced support for Spring Boot and initial support for Bnd/Bndtools projects.
  • V14.1 introduces initial support for Docker.
  • Database tools offer multiple consoles per data source, now with a schema switcher, local history, and easier access.
  • For improved code generation, you can now customize templates for equals/hashCode and getter/setter methods
  • The HTML editor has been extended with a cool new option for simultaneously editing both opening and closing HTML tags.
  • JavaScript developers will enjoy the support for TypeScript 1.4, a built-in compiler for TypeScript; support for source maps and advanced trace search for spy-js; and V8 profiling for Node.js apps.
  • And much more…

Read What’s new in IntelliJ IDEA 14.1 for more details on these and many other new features.

If you’d like a few pointers on exploring the new features of IntelliJ IDEA 14.1, join our free April 2nd webinar (14:00 – 15:00 GMT). We’ll show you around the IDE and, of course, answer all your questions.

But, enough reading. Nothing beats first-hand experience, so download the fresh update and give it a try already! Don’t forget to share your feedback, too.

Develop with Pleasure!

About Andrey Cheptsov

Part-time dreamer. JVM/JavaScript geek. IntelliJIDEA Marketing Manager at JetBrains.
This entry was posted in New Features, Releases and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

89 Responses to IntelliJ IDEA 14.1 is Here!

1. Matt R says:

Just downloaded 14.1 and when I go to launch it on OS X Yosemite, it exits abnormally right away.

3/24/15 10:05:27.920 AM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.jetbrains.intellij.119028[679]) Service exited with abnormal code: 3

14.0 still runs just fine. Anyone else?

2. David H. McCoy says:

14.1 seems to be having a few issues with freezing up when trying to open an existing 14.0 project javascript page. Any suggestions on have to collect data to help troubleshoot

• David H. McCoy says:

Yep. That page was the troublemaker. Don’t open it, can edit other files in java project. Open up certain .js page, 14.1 locks up immediately.

Reverted back to 14.0(no minor fixes), no issues with troublesome .js page.

BTW, anyway to get local history to survive point upgrades?

• webbasan says:

I had similar issues after upgrading to 14.1: debugging in Chrome just stopped working (no log message, debugger just stuck in “trying to connect” and browser trying to load forever).

But after stripping the JavaScript code I discovered that there were some issues in my source files that were the cause: I stored the current state of an Web Application page via Firefox’ “Save Page As” feature for further experimentation/development of client side features. But it also included a JavaScript file (lightbox.js) which added DOM elements without checking, so I got multiple elements with the same ID in my live DOM-tree.

Seems that the current IntelliJ/Chrome combo is less tolerant in respect to bugs in the HTML/JavaScript sources during debug sessions.

So I would recommend to check for issues (syntax violations) in your code when the debugging session get’s stuck during startup.

3. Alejandro Diaz says:

Git flow integration plugin does not work with this version.

4. Saqib says:

The splash screen still says 14 and the application name is still 14…

• Andrey Cheptsov says:

14 remains the major version of the IDE and we usually don’t change it even if there are updates available…

5. Is there a webpage or pdf that lists all the shortcuts for Idea for various keymaps? I would like to compare the differences between Xwin and KDE shortcuts to access which set of shortcuts would be better for me.

6. Benoît Liessens says:

Will JetBrains also provide a Max OSX disk image with bundled jdk like you did for IntelliJ 14.0 ?

Thanks,
    Benoît

7. Uniq Idiot says:

I have trouble as new updete 1.5 GB into https://github.com/JetBrains/intellij-community now. If I is think about, then all users this recourse catch this.

8. Darren Scott says:

Will there be an inline upgrade patch option available to go from 14.0.3 to 14.1 instead of having to download and install the full installation? The upgrade option is so much easier for many users.

• Andrey Cheptsov says:

Hi Darren,

Sorry it took so long to moderate and answer your question. Actually we’ve never provided patches for “big” updates: patches are usually available only for “two-dot” updates (e.g. from 14.1 to 14.1.1). But I agree with you, it would make the update process much easier. Maybe we’ll implement that in the future.

9. Clau says:

The menu/project/tab font looks ugly compared to 14 on Ubuntu 14.04. Do you know of any issues regarding that?

10. Tianhao says:

I have some issues for Scala plugin.

Can’t find sbt module and I can’t update Scala plugin as well.

11. Scott Walter says:

Does 14.1 still require JDK 1.6?

12. Oyunokata says:

Where are the release notes for 14.1?

13. Lovesh says:

Isn’t Idea 14.1 available as a patch from Idea 14.0.3?

• Andrey Cheptsov says:

Unfortunately not, we don’t provide patches for “big” updates as there are too many changes in the IDE as it is quite difficult to deliver them all as a patch. Maybe we’ll implement this option in the future.

14. Jesper de Jong says:

What exactly has changed with regards to HiDPI support for Windows?

I have a Windows 8.1 laptop with a HiDPI screen (3200 x 1800) and the toolbar icons and other UI elements still look very small in IntelliJ 14.1 – the same as in 14.0.x.

15. BundledUser says:

Is there a Java 8 bundled version? I tried changing the url for version 14 but could not find one.

16. Antony says:

Same problem with Scala plugin.

Scala plugin updates from 1.4 to 1.4.15 and goes through download/install/etc. every time IDEA starts. But nothing happens and scala files look like text files.

• Andrey Cheptsov says:

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. This problem should be fixed by now. Can you confirm that?

17. Taeyun Kim says:

I have some issues for the project & module management.

Symtoms are:

* Dependency for a module vanishes
    * Java compiler -source option breaks sometimes (insists 1.5 while 7 is specified by settings and/or project structure dialogs)

Overall, I feel the project management part is unstable.

18. twarwaruk says:

Same problem, I can’t update the Scala plugin, and I don’t have the option to create new Scala files.

19. hfs says:

HiDPI support seems to work well with 200% scaling on Windows but it looks like it isnt doing much at 150%. Is there any way to manually specify the icon scaling percentage? I’d rather have bigger icons even if the edges look rough.

20. Sergey says:

14.1 rescan indexes for whole project again and again :(
    Been forced to return back to 14.0.4

• Andrey Cheptsov says:

Sounds similar to the problems that have been fixed in 14.1.1. Can you try to update and check it?

21. Ernest Wu says:

Why can’t I find “change” tool window in 14.1?

22. Jeffrey Dang says:

I can’t make NodeJS or Scala projects anymore.

23. Mat says:

Tried going to https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issues/WEB to report a bug and chrome gives me a warning with the security certificate.

The bug is that the Switcher is not closing files (ie: I have max 10 tabs, but the switcher has like 30 files opened). It seems to only have started happening with 14.1.

24. Can says:

I feel the UI of 14.1 response slower than previous versions, kind of the feeling of Eclipse.

25. Mikolaj says:

Honestly, 14.1 is a kind of joke due to its stability. During refreshing Maven dependencies or pulling a heavy set of commits from Git it is really likely to have Idea restarted. I am looking forward to improvements in this area.

26. Lei Gao says:

Agreed with above, 14.1 editor responses slower than previous version. Please help us to fix this to keep this beloved tool still the #1 choice of developers.

27. Duc says:

14.1 UI is definitely slower and not responsive. There’s some apparent scroll lag even if my source file has less than 1000 lines. I needed to downgrade to 14.0.

28. Steven Lewis says:

I recently upgraded to 14.1 and am noticing a lot of dialogs especially during debugging saying the program was out of memory and telling me to increase xmX in vmoptions.
    It is currently at 3g and while the operation is complex, it has run with similar memory in earlier versions. Hitting ignore (the other option is restart IntelliJ) seem to do nothing bad but the dialog is annoying,
    I am running Idea64 on a windows 8 box with 16GB of memory

29. boneylee84 says:

“Image not recognized” error occurred when running ideaIU-14.1.1-custom-jdk-bundled.dmg on Yosemite. How to solve this problem?

30. The responsiveness of the UI (on OSX) when handling < 500 lines of javascript is unacceptable.

– It takes 2 seconds before any action is being handled and it shows the nice little loading umbrella.

Any ideas of the cause ?

31. vinod says:

After downloading 14.1, IntelliJ is crashing whenever terminal window is launched.

32. Narada says:

Hi guys,

Since 14.1 I’ve been having a problem where if I float the ‘Project’ window and then try to move the floating window about on the desktop to different locations I can’t anymore. It’s stuck in one place. When I float that window it appears floated in a given place and then I can’t move it at all. I’m on Windows 7. Has anyone else experienced this? It’s very frustrating as I always move that to make room for other things.

Thanks.

• Andrew Crampton says:

I have the same issue. Really annoying as I usually float the run/debug window onto the opposite monitor.

• Kamil says:

Same behaviour on Windows 8. It is very frustraiting. Floating window can be moved only by dragging separatelly each border of the window. Please fix this.

• Andrey says:

I’m on linux. I’m having similar issue.

Working with dual monitors, if I move a window to a different monitor or different workspace, IDEA becomes unresponsive.

• Andrey says:

What I found helps the situation is going to File -> Invalidate cache and selecting Invalidate (without restart)

33. Scott says:

Hi — me too — 14.4.1 is buggy and slow on OS 10.10.2.

34. Kumait says:

The editor in 14.1 version on Mac OS X is very slow to the degree it is not usable.

35. Jake Hassings says:

Not sure where to post this, I couldn’t find a bug tracker for 14.1 but I found an issue with Reformat Code > Selected Text option:

IDE/Version: IntelliJ IDEA 14.1.3, build IU-141.1010.3
    System Version: OS X 10.10.3 (14D131)
    Kernel Version: Darwin 14.3.0

When selecting a block of text, reformatting is not done exclusively on only the highlighted text as expected, but actually leaks a bit performing reformat actions on a few lines below the selected text.

If I select less text and choose start/end points for my text selection on lines inside a function and maybe from the middle of my lines, it will sometimes keep the reformatting operations constrained to my actual text selection. It always happens the same way when selecting exactly the same characters (i.e. from same set of line:column to line:column).

I was even able to reproduce this discretely to the difference of one character. I’d make a text selection (from bottom to top), reformat code, it works as expected. Then I’d simply reselect almost the same code (again selecting from bottom to top), but include a single extra alphanumeric character, reformat code, and now a few extra lines below my selection are also reformatted.

I spent several hours reproducing this making sure I wasn’t simply selecting text incorrectly and also confirming reproducibility from the same character set, selection points, etc.

36. Narayan Singh says:

Intellij 14.1 is not starting up on OS X, From applications folder when i click intellij icon it does nothing.
    However when i go to /content/MacOS/idea and run it with terminal app it starts.
    Please suggests how to resolve this.

37. Evan Plaice says:

Where are the direct download links? I’m working on building a custom linux distro VM that provides all the tools needed for new programmers to start writing Java code in a classroom environment.

One of the steepest learning curves to newbie developers (esp in Java) is just getting the environment setup to build their first app and I intend to lower that barrier. As part of the effort I require the ability to completely script the install of all requisite tools, plugins, and related content. Included in the project will be extensive documentation outlining the process from start-to-finish so users can replicate the same structure on their own OS installs (ie rather than use the VM).

I would really like to include IntelliJ Community Edition as the default IDE but currently, doing a full scripted install is not possible. There is no apt-get ppa for IntelliJ and website download link points to download.jsp so firing a wget/curl request won’t work either.

38. Jan Behrens says:

I’m running two projects at the same time (basically copy HTML markup from PHP prototype into JSP). IntelliJ 14 (build: iu 141.2311.1, Mac OS X Yosemite) is getting slower until the Memory Heap Error shows, increasing/decreasing the Megabytes for Memory does not alleviate the problem..
    any way to solve this?