IntelliJ IDEA 14.1.4 EAP 141.1192 is Available

IntelliJ IDEA 14.1.4 EAP build is available. You’re very welcome to give it a try and share your feedback with us.

In addition to the enhancements that come with the build, Mac OS X users will find a new experimental feature called “Switch IDE Boot JDK”, available from the Find Action popup:

jdk_switcher_menu

This feature lets you choose a JDK under which to run IntelliJ IDEA, which should help those Mac users who don’t have Java 6 installed on their machines. Right now we’re offering two different Mac installers: one that requires Java 6, and another that comes with bundled JRE 1.8 custom build. Since today we’re moving towards having one installer, so this feature should allow you to keep the choice of JDK open, and switch to Java 6 in case of any issues that are specific to 1.8 custom build (font rendering or focus issues, for example.)

As always, we’re waiting for your feedback in our discussion forum and issue tracker. Develop with Pleasure!

About Andrey Cheptsov

Part-time dreamer. JVM/JavaScript geek. IntelliJIDEA Marketing Manager at JetBrains.
This entry was posted in EAP Releases and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to IntelliJ IDEA 14.1.4 EAP 141.1192 is Available

1. Tropper says:

A tiny bit off topic but why come IDEA with a 1.8 JDK but AppCode cries like a baby and demand a Java 1.6 runtime while it runs actually far better on 1.8 runtime?

Anyways, keep up the good work – love your products!

• Mark Grimes says:

I echo that comment – considering the visual (It still looks thin, dim/muted) and/or performance loss (scrolling) on Retina displays… But at least this is an easier way to “test the water” as fixes are rolled in.

Thank you so much for making my daily software adventures pleasurable! I anxiously await being able to break away from the Java 1.6 runtime on the Mac without feeling like I’m taking in a hit in other areas.

2. The Switch IDE boot JDK option is greyed out for me.
    Any ideas?

3. Shun Yu says:

I tried to use this feature to switch to jdk1.8_45(under “/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_45.jdk”) on my Mac. However, when I selected the option and Intellij restarted, I checked the Intellij JVM version using jvisualvm, Intellij is still using the bundled jre (jre1.8_40-release). So it didn’t work, and when I tried to switch again using this feature, the jdk1.8_45 option is no where to be seen (even though the actual jdk1.8_45 installation is intact). I am on Yosemite 10.10.5. Thanks!

4. Denis Fokin says:

Please, file a ticket. This way it would be easier to handle your issue.

5. Maciej P says:

I just tried to use idea.jdk file for my Idea Ultimate 15 and it didn’t work until I removed Home/Contents/ ending from the path. Hopefully this will help other people around

6. Ryan says:

I’m not a Mac user (Linux Mint 17.3), using PhpStorm 2016.1.1 and the IDE keeps freezing up and telling me to increase some –XX- RAM memory value. I kept upping the RAM value and it still continued with the freeze ups. So I installed Java 9. The Select Boot JDK only lists the bundled Java as an option…Very frustrating.
    I’m looking to see if I can strip the bundled JDK off my system so PHPStorm will give me a different option or stop working all together (with it freezing up all the time not working may be a less frustrating option)