IntelliJ IDEA 15.0.3 Update is Available

Andrey Cheptsov

Great news! After just a few weeks in EAP, IntelliJ IDEA 15.0.3 is officially out. Big thanks to all the contributors, supporters, and, of course, bug reporters.

If you are running IntelliJ IDEA 15.0.2, click Check for Updates and you will get a popup that offers automatic update. Or, you can just do it the good old way by downloading the update from our website, and then installing it manually.

Among the improvements, the 15.0.3 update adds a small new feature (back-ported from IntelliJ IDEA 16 EAP.): the ignore generated code option in the code duplicates inspection.

Screen Shot 2015-12-29 at 19.38.27

For Kotlin fans we included Beta 4 of Kotlin plugin that (in addition to minor changes to the language and libraries) brings better incremental compilation performance and new coding assistance features. Find more details about it in this and that announcements from official Kotlin blog.

Develop with Pleasure!

Comments below can no longer be edited.

28 Responses to IntelliJ IDEA 15.0.3 Update is Available

1. Saeed Madadi says:

January 20, 2016

Hi. Mr. Cheptsov why scrollbars in intellij idea in windows are different with os x version? i don’t understand. And do you have any program to make windows version like osx version because i love os x version but i am using windows now. i sent some messages to jetbrains support team but they did not say anything. thanks.

• Andrey Cheptsov says:

January 20, 2016

Yes, it’s possible to make scrollbars in IntelliJ IDEA look similar on Windows and OS X. However Windows users, unfamiliar with OS X, have strong preferences on how scrollbars should look and may not like this change (e.g. scrollbars on Windows are expected to be wider, etc). We’re already thinking of a more unified interface (e.g. without Windows-style window decoration, etc), but this work has just started.

2. Guy Marom says:

January 20, 2016

Hello,
    I was told by one of your guys I met at Devoxx that you will soon release a fix for re-import slowness for maven projects with hundreds of modules. He said it will be fixed for 15.1.
    Since then you’ve changed the licensing model so I’m not sure that version is even planned… Are there news on that?

Thanks

• Richard osbaldeston says:

January 21, 2016

Last I heard there isn’t going to be a 15.1 : https://intellij-support.jetbrains.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/206151389-What-happened-with-IntelliJ-15-1-

Was this decision ever followed up by a blog post?

• Richard osbaldeston says:

January 21, 2016

It’d help if Jetbrains devs added fixed in references the public can decode. The release notes don’t seem to fully match the fixed on dates it’s very hard to work out from ticket tickets what version eap or 15.0.x or 14.1.x? fixes might appear in.

3. Anton Gulevsky says:

January 20, 2016

New version of IDEA drains battery with terrible speed on OS X. Is there option to rollback to 15.0.2?

• Andrey Cheptsov says:

January 20, 2016

You can download 15.0.2 from https://confluence.jetbrains.com/display/IntelliJIDEA/Previous+IntelliJ+IDEA+Releases
      If you submit an issue with a CPU snapshot to our tracker according to https://intellij-support.jetbrains.com/hc/en-us/articles/207241235-Reporting-performance-problems, we promise to fix the issue as soon as possible.

• Patrick says:

February 24, 2016

Aaaaaaarg….. me too! AGAIN. For the third time in 2+ years those kind of performance problems are hitting me.

I do not know any numbers but would estimate that OS/X installations account for 10% or so. So why can’t these kinds of issues be avoided.

What about some automated or at least manual tests for this on OS/X before release?

I am a bit upset. 15.0.4 does not fix the problem. Now spending another 20+ minutes for the download an all to go back to 15.0.2 .

Just annoying. Sorry to make my frustration some room here, but reporting the issue in the bug tracker the last 2 times did not seem to help at all, thus trying it this way now.

4. Ben says:

January 20, 2016

Thanks for the above link – very useful as I would like to roll-back to version 14 for now, as 15 no longer works with the Ubuntu global menu bar. I know it’s a minor thing, but one of IntelliJ’s strengths is how well it integrates with the OS it runs on. Will this be fixed in later releases? I see you now disable Jayanta by default in 15. Thanks.

• Alexey Ushakov says:

January 20, 2016

We’re looking into this issue now. The problem is that the integration does not work well with the latest IDEA, especially for multi-project scenario. You’re still able to run jayatana integration by commenting the following “if” block in /bin/idea.sh script as shown below:

#if [ -n “$JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS” -a “$JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS” != “${JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS%-javaagent*jayatanaag.jar*}” ] ; then
      # export _ORIGINAL_JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS=”$JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS”
      # JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS=”${JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS%-javaagent*jayatanaag.jar*}${JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS#*jayatanaag.jar}”
      #fi

• Ben says:

January 20, 2016

Thanks Alex – I have tried running Jayatana, but doing exactly as you described, but I find the menu freezes after the first click on it, every time – I guess exactly what the issue reports. So I’ll hang on to version 14 a little longer as that works fine.

Thanks.

5. Ben says:

January 20, 2016

Thanks.

6. cypressious says:

January 20, 2016

Are there any news regarding showing unversioned files in the commit dialog? Since there is no activity on the bug tracker (https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/IDEA-73077), I’m hoping to draw some attention to this impactful omission in a otherwise great IDE.

7. Jesse Thouin says:

January 20, 2016

Looks like I can’t get a free ticket from the license server with this upgrade. I reverted back to 15.0.2 and it works just fine.

8. Christian Groove says:

January 21, 2016

Dear sirs,

my IJ IDE tells me, that my current Version 15.0.2 can be uploaded
    by 15.0.3. Ok i decide to update and instruct the popup window, that
    i want “update and restart.

Then i say yes, i want to update. The machine is working again and after
    all , there is an update/restart but the old system is back again,

9. Dan says:

January 21, 2016

I can finally drag and drop files from the project window without IDEA crashing and disallowing access to the entire Mac dock until it is force closed! Blocker removed 🙂

• Dan says:

January 21, 2016

Oh, nope it only worked once. Same as before, very major bug (have to restart IDEA every time it happens or can no longer load any Mac app via the Dock) still there.

• Oussama Chougna says:

February 2, 2016

You don’t have to restart, just press the escape key and the move dialogue will disappear.

Very bad bug that should be given high priority.

10. Oliver says:

January 21, 2016

Hi I want to ask why Windows console disappeared from view -> tool windows?
    I just don’t have it there.

11. Wim Deblauwe says:

January 22, 2016

After updating to 15.0.3, I get a message that the Karma and NodeJS plugins are no longer compatible. Will there be new releases of those plugins soon?

• Sergey Simonchik says:

January 23, 2016

Please update plugins in “Settings | Plugins”: compatible versions are Karma v143.1453.2 and NodeJS v143.1453.2.

12. Daniel Klingmann says:

January 25, 2016

I really loved IDEA, really.. but since the new year began I’m having trouble opening JavaScript files and since the update to 15 from 14 it crashes all the time due to Java2D something. At first I was thinking it might just be a GC issue but as soon as I’m opening a JS file it takes around 10 seconds and then it will clog 1.5gb of memory every 5 seconds until the IDE freezes and finally crashes. Assigning more memory to the JVM doesn’t help. 10GB are clogged in around 30 seconds => Freeze => Crash. I don’t know what’s wrong, I couldn’t even post to the bug tracker for some weird reason so I gave up. Would be nice if someone could help me out. VS Code isn’t bad but simply not up to par with IDEA.

• Daniel Klingmann says:

January 25, 2016

I just checked, the latest update seems to fix the memory hogging bug. I’m still amazed though how this could be released before.

13. Teutates says:

January 26, 2016

Hi,

do I have to download the whole application or is it possible to just download an incremental update?

14. Steffen says:

January 27, 2016

“Update and Restart” from 15.0.2 to 15.0.3 does not work, it’s still 15.0.2! How to update to 15.0.3? Only by downloading the complete installation file?

I have a memory problem like Daniel Klingmann in 15.0.2 when debugging large Projects, working with more projects or working with the JavaFX Designer. Sometimes there is a memory error message before crashing, sometimes it crashs without a message. In 13.1.2 everything like described (except the JavaFX designer, which I did not use in 13.1.2) works fine. 😮 Is this fixed in 15.0.3?

15. Robin Roos says:

January 28, 2016

As stated by Steffen, Update and Restart does not actually effect the upgrade.

Let us know if we must upgrade manually, or if we should just wait for the auto-upgrade to become workable form 15.0.2.

Thanks, Robin.

16. vasea says:

February 11, 2016

this update is a pain for groovy developement
    if latest groovy(2.4.5) is used with latest gradle(2.10) and on java 8
    both indy and not indy jars

IDEA does’nt see groovy extension methods, they are red, it is annoying

17. Rob Wilk says:

February 18, 2016

I just tried updating from 15.0.2 to 15.0.3; the patch seems to download fine but when it restarts I get an error on VistaLauncher.exe stating “The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.”

Any clue why?