New year, new style? This month we’re experimenting with a simpler format for JAM, so you can see at a glance the real titles of the articles being linked to. The upside is more links! More news! And you can see all the topics at a glance. The downside? Less witty banter from yours truly. Let us know in the comments whether you prefer the “usual” format or the new. As always, we will cover what’s new in the Java world and throw in other bits and pieces that seem interesting for developers.
- Java Community Oscars – The Top 10 Posts of 2016
- A Curious Case of Java EE: 2016 Recap
- Importance of Java EE, JCP, Java EE Guardians and Microprofile (text interview)
Beyond Java 9
- Java 10 Could Bring Upgraded Lambdas
- New JEP Would Simplify Java Type Variance
- JEP 286 – Local-Variable Type Inference: var and maybe val
- JDK 9 is Feature Complete
- …and JDK 9 is the End of the Road for Some Features
- Reflection vs Encapsulation (in the context of Java 9)
- Java 9 enhancements to Optional/Stream
- Java 9 Will Change the Way You Traverse Stack Traces
- The Legacy Developer’s Guide to Java 9
- Reactive Streams, j.u.concurrent, & beyond! (video)
- Java EE 8 – January recap
- Java 8 GroupingBy Example and Java 8 PartitioningBy Example
- The truth about Optional
- A Comprehensive Walk Through Java Method References
- Why Elvis Should Not Visit Java (or: the problem with nulls)
- The JVM is not that heavy
- Modern garbage collection
- Blockchain: Using Cryptocurrency with Java
- Java GC Causes Distilled
- Recap of some surprising and/or frustrating behaviour in Java: Enum Inversion Problem and Surprising += Cast
- Effective Java for Android (cheatsheet)
- Coordinators: solving a problem you didn’t even know you had
- Wear 2.0: Something O’Clock
- Use StrictMode To Find Things You Did By Accident In Android Development
- Common Design Patterns for Android
- MVC vs. MVP vs. MVVM on Android
- What Comes in Kotlin 1.1 for Android Developers?
- TDD Your UI Layer but beware: Espresso Test Addiction: An Anti-pattern
- Writing your first Android Things driver
- How modularisation affects build time of an Android application
- Concurrency Primitives in Kotlin
Libraries and Frameworks
- Pivotal Releases First Milestone of Next-Generation Spring Data Featuring Reactive Database Access
- WebSockets With Angular2 and Spring Boot
- 40 Tips & Tricks for Spring in IntelliJ IDEA
- Building Reactive Applications with Akka Actors and Java 8
- Refactoring to Reactive – Anatomy of a JDBC migration
- How to test event-based services using contracts
- How to TDD FizzBuzz with JUnit Theories
- Netflix Introduces Hollow, a Java Library for Processing In-Memory Datasets
- Web frameworks and how to survive them
Practices, Design & Architecture
- The Power of Open/Closed Principle
- Do You Really Have to Name Everything in Software?
- Experimenting with Peer Feedback in Tech Teams
- Oblique Programming Strategies
A quick summary of IntelliJ IDEA (and other JetBrains) news you may have missed:
- Today, Wednesday, is my Refactoring to Java 8 webinar.
- The 2017.1 EAP continues to evolve.
- Gary Hockin (PhpStorm) and I started a new series of videos on Git Questions.
- The video recording of Robert Martin’s The Three Laws of TDD is available now.
- I’ve started another series of blog posts on Code Reviews, this series looks at the process you follow.
Complete this form and get Java Annotated Monthly delivered fresh to your email.