IntelliJ IDEA 2019.3 Beta 2 Is Out!

Zlata Kalyuzhnaya

We are approaching the release date and today we are ready to give you the second Beta for IntelliJ IDEA 2019.3!

IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate Beta builds are free to use but they expire within 30 days of the build date.

We are putting the finishing touches on the upcoming IntelliJ IDEA 2019.3, and this build comes with some notable changes.

Firstly, just so you are not caught off guard, the timeline for GitHub Pull Requests will not be included in this upcoming release version. We’ll continue enhancing our support of GitHub Pull Requests, and we plan to make it available in one of our future releases.

Speaking about changes in the Version Control subsystem, now when there is a conflict during merge, rebase, or cherry-pick actions, the IDE will let you see more information about the changes displayed in the right-hand and left-hand panes of the Merge dialog. Simply click the ‘Show Details’ link.

Also, the upcoming version of IntelliJ IDEA will allow you to share debugger renderers with your teammates. The JetBrains annotations library now contains the Debug.Renderer annotation which you can use to specify the renderer right in your source code.

Try IntelliJ IDEA 2019.3 Beta2 now! And don’t forget to share your feedback with us. Drop a comment in the section below, raise a ticket in our issue tracker, or tweet us.

Happy Developing!

Comments below can no longer be edited.

22 Responses to IntelliJ IDEA 2019.3 Beta 2 Is Out!

1. Sebastian says:

November 13, 2019

Bug(s) using projects with play!framework (v1) still exist. What a shame, makes 2019.3. rather unuseable for these projects…

See my comment(s) here: https://blog.jetbrains.com/idea/2019/10/whats-new-in-intellij-idea-2019-3-eap8/#comment-505465

• Zlata Kalyuzhnaya says:

November 14, 2019

Hi Sebastian, this issue is already fixed and will be available in one of our future builds. It’s better to use our issue tracker to report bugs and follow the progress.

2. dwilloughby@resolutebi.com says:

November 13, 2019

Please stop making these early releases available until after the updates to the major plug-ins are available. For the second time in the last 30-day, IntelliJ has released an EA version (beta2) for which there is no compatible golang plug in. You’re wasting our time when we download a EA version for evaluation and the version is completely useless (to golang developers, at least…) Worse, the beta1 version was pretty nice, and now I have to revert back to 2019.2 until IntelliJ get their act together.

• Cam says:

November 13, 2019

Why don’t you just use GoLand?

• Sebastian Sellmair says:

November 13, 2019

First of all: Nothing is stopping you from going back to 2019.3 beta 1. This is absolutely easy using the JetBrains toolbox for example. Secondly: Your comment sounds rather “entitled”.

• Ian says:

November 13, 2019

you must have missed the section that said ‘beta’ & running it as your primary IDE then you only have yourself to blame.

• Tamas Herman says:

November 14, 2019

If using EAP versions feel like waste of time, then you should just stay on the stable releases, no need to get angry about it.

Btw, how about the GoLand EAP https://www.jetbrains.com/go/nextversion/ ?
      Is that broken too?

What would be a welcome improvement is if the JetBrains toolbox could handle the upgrade/downgrade of the EAP versions better. Currently I had to install the EAP version manually and I don’t have a way to easily downgrade it once I upgrade it through the in-app upgrade notification dialog.

• Steve says:

November 14, 2019

I mean, as far as I’m concerned you are both right. The
        plugin compatibility is an annoyance for me as well but I still very much like to be “on edge”.
        So having some kind of page where you can navigate to that gives you a list of the plugins that are/are not going to work on that build would be awesome (you could visit it a couple times until what you need is there). It’s been a gamble trying to use the latest version for years…

They know which plugins you use if you sync them, so it should theoretically be possible to give you a personalized list.

• Dmitry says:

November 15, 2019

This issue was reported already 10 years ago – IDEA-24014. And was apparently “fixed” in IDEA 13.
          So I filed a new ticket – IDEA-226964.

There are also a few related issues: IDEA-185204, IDEA-223564

• Marina Kovaleva says:

November 14, 2019

Hi Tamas, could you please clarify what exactly you’d like to be improved in Toolbox App?

3. Taras Tielkes says:

November 13, 2019

The “JavaScript and TypeScript” plug-in has a dependency on “Machine Learning Code Completion” plug-in.

Is that intentional?

• Ekaterina Prigara says:

November 14, 2019

Hi Taras, yes, that was intentional. Do you have any problems because of that? Please let us know if you do. Thanks!

• Taras Tielkes says:

November 14, 2019

Hi Ekaterina,

In general, I only enable plugins that I actually use.

If I don’t want to use Machine Learning Code Completion, it seems unexpected that I would not be able to use JavaScript as a result.

Also, the MLCC plugin description mentions that Java, Kotlin and Python are supported. That makes me wonder even more why there is a (non-optional) dependency between JavaScript&TypeScript on MLCC.

Thanks,
        Taras

4. Reto says:

November 13, 2019

Something has changed with the “Auto-Import-Popup-Delay” in 2019.3.x
    I think this was mentioned in a blog post a few weeks ago but I can not find it.
    Does anyone know where that was? Thanks

• Olga Klisho says:

November 14, 2019

Please describe the changes that you see in more details. Please also see the issue that is still in progress: https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/IDEA-15855. Some changes were made i.e. import popup is shown now again only after code modification. You feedback at the issue will be appreciated. Thanks

• Reto says:

November 14, 2019

Thanks for the link. I have add a comment to the issue.

5. Leo Lozes says:

November 14, 2019

Has the line height been messed with in this release?
    All the menus seems more compact and readability has definitely not improved.

I tried to tweak the font in settings > appearance but the line height remains the same, everything is very condensed.
    Is there any way to configure like it was? I’m usually a fan of the UI tweaks you guys do, but I’m having a hard time adapting to this one.

• Zlata Kalyuzhnaya says:

November 15, 2019

Hi Leo. Please file an issue to our issues tracker https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issues/IDEA with more details: OS, IJ version, JBR version, bundled plugins, and a screenshot. We will certainly investigate this. Thank you!

6. Ondřej Schrek says:

November 14, 2019

Will be fixed plugin Advanced Java Folding, please?

• Ondřej Schrek says:

November 15, 2019

Is there some chance that this plugin will be part of IntelliJ in the future ?

• Andrey Cheptsov says:

November 18, 2019

Hello Ondřej,
      I’m very sorry that the plugin doesn’t work for 2019.3. At the moment there are no plans to bundle this plugin. I’ll try to see if I can find some time to fix the issues with the plugin. Short excuse: the plugin had been a pure hobby for me and due to tons of other responsibilities I didn’t have a chance to find time for the plugin. This is something I’m very sorry about. I’ll see what can be done.

• Andrey Cheptsov says:

November 22, 2019

I’ve just uploaded an update of the plugin that supports v2019.3. Please let me know if it works for you!