IntelliJ IDEA 2021.1.2 and Notes on Quality Improvements
The second bug-fix update, IntelliJ IDEA 2021.1.2, is out! You can get the latest build from inside the IDE, with the Toolbox App, or using snaps for Ubuntu. It is also available for download from our website.
Here is the list of the fixes it brings:
- Fixed the problem causing the color scheme to change unexpectedly. [IDEA-265169]
- The IDE no longer returns an error when distributionSha256Sum is in a Gradle project. [IDEA-266355]
- Chinese characters are now displayed correctly when the Quick Documentation action is invoked. [IDEA-268158]
- Fixed several bugs affecting shortcuts that include the Option key on macOS. [JBR-3409]
- Fixed the exceptions upon reimporting a project with an old Maven distribution (versions 3.3.0 and earlier). [IDEA-268495]
- Tab and indent settings reset when you relaunch the IDE. [IDEA-267368]
- The size of the tool windows does not fluctuate in Undocked mode. [IDEA-266173]
Check out the release notes for the full list of bugs we’ve fixed.
Quality improvements in IntelliJ IDEA 2021.1
While developing IntelliJ IDEA 2021.1 we’ve spent more time than usual improving product quality. Even though the initial release contained a few unfortunate regressions that we’ve fixed in 2021.1.1, we’d like to share more details about quality-related work that went into v.2021.1.
We concentrated on three key areas: performance, elimination of freezes and exceptions, and regression handling.
In total, we closed over 1,500 YouTrack issues!
- We fixed more than 600 issues in the IntelliJ IDEA core functionality, and over 400 minor UI improvements. We were careful not to introduce any big changes that might break the habits you have formed.
- We implemented around 400 other fixes, including ones aimed at eliminating freezes and increasing performance in Java refactorings and code completion.
- For JetBrains Runtime (JBR), we resolved functionality issues in JCEF and crashes. Also, we rebased JBR on top of OpenJDK 11.0.10.
- We fixed over 150 issues in IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate, including performance optimizations for framework-specific features and diagrams. Some of the top prioritized fixed issues had to do with regression in Spring, JPA, Java EE, and other frameworks.
- We significantly improved the Kotlin plugin performance by speeding up error highlighting and code completion. At least a dozen different problems that led to IDE freezes were fixed, too.
- In Version Control, we addressed many minor issues in the Staging area support and Commit message handling. We also reworked the UI for creating GitHub pull requests, and we fixed various minor issues with GitHub reviews.
We hope this post brings more transparency about what we do. For IntelliJ IDEA, we prioritize bug fixing and we invest a lot of time in resolving the key issues to increase the product quality. And the fact our issue backlog got shorter after we released v2021.1 makes us happy, too!
Our team is energized to improve quality with each new release. Don’t forget to share all your concerns with us so we can address them going forward.
Subscribe to Blog updates
Thanks, we've got you!
IntelliJ IDEA 2023.2.2 Is Out!
Our second bug-fix release for IntelliJ IDEA v2023.2 is now available. You can update to this version from inside the IDE, using the Toolbox App, or using snaps if you are an Ubuntu user. Also, you can download it from our website. Here is the list of the most important fixes t…
IntelliJ IDEA 2023.2.1 Is Out!
We’ve just released the first bug-fix update for v2023.2. You can update to this version from inside the IDE, using the Toolbox App, or via snaps, if you’re using Ubuntu. You can also download it directly from our website. Here is the list of the most notable improvements and fixes inclu…
IntelliJ IDEA 2023.2 Is Out!
IntelliJ IDEA 2023.2 has arrived! Explore the exciting new features and improvements this release has to offer.
IntelliJ IDEA 2023.1.5 Is Out!
We’ve just released one more bug-fix update for v2023.1.You can download the latest build from our website, via the Toolbox App, or by using an Ubuntu snap package. The new version includes the following improvements: For more details, please refer to the release notes. If you…