AppCode 3.1 EAP: new debugger and file structure view for Swift

Hi everyone!

A couple of days ago we published the second EAP build of AppCode 3.1 with many Swift improvements. Now it’s time to get a new debugger! We’ve updated the LLDB framework used in AppCode to match with Xcode 6.1. Try the build and let us know what you think.

The second EAP (139.475) is still available for download in case of any critical problem you can meet with this build. Some issues are known, like this one.

This EAP also includes file structure view for Swift code. Press Cmd+F12 and use the pop-up to quickly navigate through the structure of the current file:
file_structure

The full list of fixed issues can be found in our issue tracker.

Yours truly,
The AppCode Team

This entry was posted in Announcement, Early Access Preview and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to AppCode 3.1 EAP: new debugger and file structure view for Swift

1. Dee Madden says:

Are you guys going to have autocomplete working any time soon?

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

It is already there for most basic cases for variables, types, methods. Since the second EAP.

• George Cook says:

with respect Anastasia, it’s not. I’ve not got it working on even the most basic of swift files. If I’m lucky, bringing up autocomplete won’t complete hang appcode, and in other cases it shows nothing.

I’m hoping it’s a regression in this version, as you seem to think it works, and I hope you’ll surprise us with working support for swift; but right now you guys seem light-years away.

Also on swift, do you expect performance to be better, and the user experience to be more pleasant than scala in intellij? I ask becuase the languages look quite similar to me. I do scala dev, and I find intelliJ’s type inference and error messaging to be utterly nuts; I’m hoping that’s just because of the scala compiler and that LLVM will allow youg guys to give us an experience like we’re used to with objective c, as opposed to a phpstorm/js plugin/scala plugin experience in your other IDEs, which is excellent; but nowhere near as good as appocde currently is for objective c imho.

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

Could you please submit code samples that causes problem with autocompletion to our tracker? https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issues/OC
          This is definitely help us to improve.

Yes, we are aware of performance problems when working with Swift and are working on them. Thanks for reminding!

• Dee Madden says:

Anastasia,
            Like George said, still a bunch of autocomplete functionality that isn’t there. I will log some bugs, as requested.
            Dee

• Anastasia Kazakova says:

Thanks. Actually we know there are cases when completion fails (for example, external parameter names, shorthand names and tuple element names are still not resolved and thus not completed). Probably there are more and some users’ samples can be useful to drive the development.

2. Bryan says:

Until Xcode 6, I considered AppCode the better product. Now that I’m using Xcode 6, I’m convinced that AppCode is a *necessary* product, because Xcode 6.0 & 6.1’s syntax highlighting and auto-complete keeps breaking (just google “SourceKit crashes”).

• John says:

Clearing out your DerivedData folder in Xcode gets rid of most of the SourceKit crashes. Don’t get me wrong, it still sucks, and I can’t wait for AppCode’s Swift support to be more fully implemented, but cleaning out the DerivedData makes Xcode the best option for now, IMHO.

3. Alexey says:

Is it possible to debug swift code with AppCode 3.1.7? Currently I cannot view the values of variables within debugger view. Watches view also says that it cannot evaluate expression for language swift. Am I doing something wrong?