AppCode 2016.2.3 EAP

Hi everyone,

Xcode 8 with Swift 3 is released, and it’s high time to open AppCode 2016.2.3 EAP where we start delivering support for Swift evolution changes. Build 162.2097.3 is now available for download on our confluence page.

Swift 3 support opens with:

• SE-0071: Allow (most) keywords in member references (OC-13837)
  • SE-0046: Establish consistent label behavior across all parameters including first labels (OC-14055)
  • SE-0031: Adjusting inout Declarations for Type Decoration (OC-14104)

This build also includes Reveal 2.0 integration and fix for launching apps on simulator with Xcode 8 selected in Preferences.

Full list of fixes can be found here. Please, note that this EAP build requires an active subscription (or you can start a 30-day evaluation period).

We are planning to continue work on Swift 3 and Xcode 8 support in 2016.2.x updates. Follow our blog and stay tuned!

Your AppCode team
JetBrains
The Drive to Develop

This entry was posted in Announcement and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to AppCode 2016.2.3 EAP

1. Sidney Just says:

First of all, thanks for the Reveal 2 integration! Second of all, I love Objective-C and Swift and I are simply just not meant to be, as such, I have been looking forward to AppCode 2016.3 very much in hopes it would support the new class keyword in property declarations. I understand Objective-C support has matured quite a lot and doesn’t need as much attention as Swift, however, the new class keyword broke the syntax highlighting quite heavily for me and I just don’t want to live without AppCode. It’s literally the only thing I want from AppCode 2016.3.

• Sidney Just says:

Just to clarify, I was thinking 2016.3 was next, not saying you guys aren’t allowed to put the class keyword support into 2016.2.x! Just… Put it in there, I’m begging you. For my sanity.

2. Phil Nash says:

@Sidney, support for class property declarations is being tracked in the following ticket:

We’ll update there when we have a definite target for support – but please be assured we haven’t forgotten about it. Your sanity is important to us!

3. Alan Shaw says:

Firefox says your confluence page is insecure, with an expired certificate.

• Tatiana Shabaeva says:

Can you reproduce that in another browser? In fact, current certificate expires in January 2018, so there should not be any issues with it. I’d recommend checking certificates stored in FF about:preferences#advanced, you likely need to remove old certificate from there.

4. Raph says:

When will the code completion work for inferred types?

It’s such a pain in the … to switch to XCode because of such things. And it’s still hard to believe for me, a big fan of AppCode, that XCode is still the better IDE for Swift..

• Tatiana Shabaeva says:

Could you please point out specific cases where you see issues with completion?

• Raphael says:

Yep, there are actually quite a few issues with completion.

let list = [UIView]()
        let listItem = list[0]
        listItem. <– No suggestion here. Type is not known. Works in XCode.

When I import a Framework, App Code does not suggests available classes. For example when using Google Firebase (import Firebase), when I type "FIR" no Firebase type is suggested. The code highlighting also does not work for dependencies imported with CocoaPods. Both work in XCode.

Inherited internal properties aren't highlighted, and code completion doesn't work for them.

I'm always using the latest AEP version.

• Tatiana Shabaeva says:

Just to be sure: are you using Xcode 8 (Preferences | Tools | Xcode)? If yes, then please watch https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/OC-14166 for problem with ‘listItem’ completion.
          As for Firebase issue, it’s a known issue: please vote and watch https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/OC-13978.
          As for issue with highlighting and completion for properties, I would appreciate if you file an issue in our tracker specifying self-sufficient code snippet where you see that.

• Raphael says:

Hey, thank you for the info!

Do you guys have an idea when AppCode will be as good for Swift as it was for ObjectiveC? I guess it is a lot of work, especially since Swift is evolving meanwhile.

• Tatiana Shabaeva says:

You’re right, since Swift is still changing we need to support language changes first. Other major tasks that take a lot of effort are performance issue with resolve in Swift and Swift< ->Objective-C interoperability. At the same time, new features such as generate method from usage and related are on our short-list for AppCode 2016.3 (which is planned for November 2016). Our plan is to improve user experience with Swift in each new AppCode release, so please be patient, we’re on the way to full-fledged Swift support.

5. Jan Chaloupecky says:

Hi,
    thanks for the EAP nevertheless AppCode crashes just after start on macOS Sierra :(

I cannot find any logs in the system logs.

• Tatiana Shabaeva says:

Hi Jan,
      If there is nothing in ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports, please check ~/Library/Logs/AppCode2016.2 and send us contents of the folder (either to appcode-support at jetbrains.com or file an issue in our tracker).

6. Pavan says:

Hi,
    Thank you for all the awesome updates. I am still using xcode 7.3.1 with MacOS Sierra, I keep getting this message.
    “You are running OS X 10.12 with Xcode 7.3.1. AppCode does not support this configuration. We recommend running OS X 10.11 with Xcode 7.3.”
    Can you please support 7.3.1 on 10.12 ?

• Tatiana Shabaeva says:

Hi Pavan,

Xcode 7.3.x is reported to be incompatible with macOS 10.12 (that was mentioned in Sierra release notes). Apple recommends using Xcode 8 on Sierra. That’s why AppCode doesn’t officially support such configuration (you may use it though at your own risk, but be aware of possible issues with simulator). The message itself might be a bit confusing, we have an issue in tracker for that.